J's at the Village
619 Baltimore Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
J's at the Village
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jsvillage.com/
- Phone: 7173349449
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Every Evening from 5:00 PM - Close Lunch: Saturday & Sunday from 12:00 - 5:00 PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jason M. Hoover
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private Dining Room available for groups of 25 to 40 guests. A pre-ordered, or special menu, is also available. Ordering off the menu is an option with an advanced booking.
- Private Party Contact: Eileen Hoover 7172531699
A word from J's at the Village
Gettysburg's Premier choice for Fine Dining with a Casual flair. Our focus is to provide our guests with unique options in all of our Menus, including unique Draft Beer Selections, Wines & Specialty Martini's. Our Chef's prepare all Soups, Dressings, Sauces & Desserts daily. We concentrate on a seasonal menu featuring fresh local produce, & we change our menu a few times a year, to utilize a special seasonal approach for your dining experience. Finally, our staff is centered on enhancing your meal with a casual, yet precise service style. We are proud to live & work in the Historic Gettysburg Community, welcoming local guests & the discerning traveler alike!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
J's at the Village reviews from OpenTable diners
- This is a wonderful place!NeighborDined on 11/18/2012This is a wonderful place! The food was great, atmosphere was condusive for conversation all around the table. No blaring music to impeed the reason we sit around the table with friends and family, that is to have a time to share our thoughts. The menu selection was not overwhelming, and the service was friendly and easy going. Whenever we go to Gettysburg it will be on the top of our dining list. Thank you J's for a wonderful experience.Special Features:
- We always make J's apart ofOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/10/2012We always make J's apart of any visit to Gettysburg. The menu, staff, and environment are all A+.Special Features:
- Recommended bison meatloafSwissmissDined on 11/3/2012Recommended bison meatloaf was very sweet, and made more so by smokey ketchup. Seafood pasta was very garlicky. Not bad, for the culinary wasteland of Gettysburg, but not great.
- The soup and appetizers werePlsdDined on 11/2/2012The soup and appetizers were excellent (crab soup, fried pickles/green beans and calamari).
- Gettysburg Gem at a Great PriceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2012Service was instant from the time we walked in, had our table set and waiting. Very quaint and romantic atmosphere. Very well kept and clean. Facility. Server we had was very friendly and knowledgable on the menu. Definitely would go out of my way to return to the cool "mini bar" on my own or certainly come again with a date.Special Features:
- Great poached fig appetizerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2012Great poached fig appetizer and the wine selection was good. We tried a Boyle of old vine mourvedre grape by cline - very goodSpecial Features:
- My husband and I ate hereminidotDined on 9/22/2012My husband and I ate here recently. The food was good; however, I did not get what I ordered. I wanted a crab cake dinner and instead was brought the crab cake sandwich. In addition to that , just as the server was bringing me my side salad (ordered a la carte), she also brought our dinners at the same time. I would have enjoyed my salad first instead of feeling I needed to eat my hot dinner before it turned cold. Server and maitre d' were both very nice.Special Features:
- We had the chef's tastingMikeGDined on 9/16/2012We had the chef's tasting menu and were very pleased; crab sliders, chickpea salad and lamb chops. The poached figs in port were wonderful!Special Features:
- Our favorite restaurant in GettysbusherbearDined on 9/16/2012This isn't our first time at J's at the Village. Food is always consistently good. My husband is consistent at well. He ordered the Mini Bison meatloafs and loved the smokey ketchup. So glad it is part of Open TableSpecial Features:
- Casual Dining Never Fine DiningSurpriseVIPDined on 9/15/2012Perhaps it has to do with expectations....when I read fine dining. This place is definitively casual dining, and reminds me of a Diner rather than a Restaurant. Starts with the booths in the entrance and then continues once you see their menu. The food was OK. They were, however very friendly.Special Features:
- Steak was good could haveNoreenBVIPDined on 9/8/2012Steak was good could have been more tender. Service excelent
- We chose J's because of glutenOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/28/2012We chose J's because of gluten free recommendation. We were a small loud group, given a quiet booth on a not busy Tues day nite. Gluten free fish very bland but blissfully safe. Gluten free menu was provided. Figs for dessert great. Crab trio great.Special Features:
- Came for an anniversary, andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012Came for an anniversary, and we were not let down. Quiet place on a Sunday night to have a nice just-above-casual dinner with my girlfriend. The waitress was nice and attentive, but she didn't pester. The food was fantastic! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Good Food and ServiceEdwardVIPDined on 7/23/2012Had a good experience at J's this week. We had the boneless ribs and steak, both were excellent. They have a good selection of craft beers and the house wines are pretty good. The service was excellent (only a group of 6, another couple, and us in the restaurant). The dessert menu is very good also, the flourless chocolate cake is excellent. The only bad thing is the coffee. Awful. As another reviewer said, there are only a few very good restaurants in Gettysburg. J's is one of them.Special Features:
- very nice good pricing andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/21/2012very nice good pricing and delicious on all food that we had and friendly staff
- The variety of choices atCOCHRNGJDined on 7/16/2012The variety of choices at a reasonable price was good. I had the fish and chips. The fish was good but the batter was too heavy. There was an apparent disconnect between the restaurant and Open Table since although I received a confirmation and reminder of my reservation, the restaurant did not have any record of it. This caused some problems because there were no tables available for a party of 6. The staff did their best to accommodate us however.
- Overpriced mediocracyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/15/2012This restaurant pretends to be more than it is. Our waitress was unfamiliar with the menu and couldn't answer simple questions about particular dishes,mandndidnt know what vintage the wones by the glass were. I ordered figs from the appetizers, and am baffled about whether they mistakenly made me a fig dessert. My husband's scaly had tough scallop and dried-out mussels, and my salmon was pretty mediocre, surrounded by a creamy pearl couscous with crabs that was too rich and tasteless to more than pick at. The chef would do well to concentrate on cooking the basic entree before trying to do fancy sauces and dishes that are too complicated for the skills in the kitchen and the wait staff.
- The service was great, theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/14/2012The service was great, the food was fabulous, and they easily accommodated our group of six. We'll definitely go here again when we're in the area!Special Features:
- Prettiest girl in ugly contestOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/21/2012During our visit to Gettysburg over about five days, we dined at four local establishments. Unfortunately the town is so overrun with tourists, that the quality of food and service has suffered. J's at the Village was the best of them, but to be blunt, a Chipotle or Noodles and Company would easily become one of the best places in town to eat. For the other restaurants (not J's) the quality of the food and service and suffered to a large extent. But since the tourists keep coming, what is the incentive to improve? None that I could see. Back to J's the salad was good (they actually added vegetables, unlike The Blue Parrot). Our food was really fairly good, but the dining room overlooked an assemblage of very tack stores.
- We had a great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/27/2012We had a great experience at J's. I live in NYC and am a bit of a foodie. There were a lot of burgers and fries in Gettysburg, but J's had a great variety and it was delicious! I had friend pickles for an appetizer and vegetable couscous. Yummy! Great beer and wine selection and wonderful service. It was our best eating in Gettysburg!!Special Features:
- Terrific Find in GettysburgVikkiVIPDined on 5/26/2012We were traveling and staying in Gettysburg for a couple of days. Once again, OpenTable was reliable in finding us a terrific place to eat. The service was friendly and the food was great. I had a great beet salad and amazing short ribs. My husband had tender grilled scallops. We topped it off with a port soaked fig and marscapone cream desert - yumm. In addition, the prices were really reasonable. We highly recommend this restaurant if/when you are in Gettysburg.Special Features:
- Very good seafood, crab cakes,pizzaDined on 5/18/2012Very good seafood, crab cakes, and risotto!!!!!! Will be back again!Special Features:
- Awesome Service!AwesomeDined on 5/8/2012Love it. The service is great too. Our group stays in Gettysberg annually before heading off to a conference in Chantilly VA. We plan on dining there each yr. Wish we lived closer.Special Features:
- This is one of our "Go To"OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/27/2012This is one of our "Go To" places in Gettysburg. The food has always been delicious and service good. We've tried various specials that they offer, and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- You Don't Have to Eat Like TouristsDCDinerVIPDined on 4/8/2012Baked chicken was not as good as it had been on prior visits. Still, this restaurant is a real oasis in a sea of tourist restaurants. Soups are always a high point and the service is friendly and efficient.
- Never received meal after 1.5 hoursNJ40Dined on 4/5/2012After waiting 1.5 hours for our dinner(with children), we left! Please note there were only three other tables having dinner(5:30 reservation), so this was not a busy time. We spoke to other people in town and they indicated that this was a common occurrence. I realize that this is a tourist area and most people will not be repeat customers, but this does not give them the right to treat a paying customer with complete disregard. I seriously believe he forgot about internet reviews and people should be strongly cautioned about eating at this establishment.
- The waitstaff is friendly,MargaretMGVIPDined on 4/2/2012The waitstaff is friendly, but not polished. Bartender is very good. We found an excellent red wine (Smoking Loon Petit Syrah) at a very reasonable price. My ribeye with vegetables was delicious. My husband's short ribs were stringy and not that tasty.
- Food was very good and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/30/2012Food was very good and service also. We will return.Special Features:
- My fiance and I were lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/24/2012My fiance and I were looking for a place to eat in Gettysburg, and we found J's on OpenTable. It was definitely a good choice. The food was a little pricey, but it was absolutely worth every penny. The service was friendly and personal, and you never have to worry about your drink being empty. There was always someone around to make sure that everything was ok at the table, but the servers did not hover. Parking in Gettysburg can be a pain, but there is a public parking lot right behind the restaurant. It's also pretty easy walking distance from the center of town or the outskirts of the battlefield.Special Features:
- The food was just okay andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2012The food was just okay and the service was slow. For the price, I would have rather ate somewhere else.
- Great food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/17/2012I have eaten at J's several times in the past, they consistently have two things. Great food but poor service. My latest visit was no exception. The quality of the food and the poor service just do not match up. I am not sure if it is even the fault of the waiter/waitress as it seems that they are just under staffed to maintain a high level of service. Regardless the food is very good and as long as you don't have high expectations for service it is still a great place.Special Features:
- My wife and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012My wife and I had a great experience on valentines day at J's. We were seated right away, and treated well by the staff. The entrees were delicious. We ordered the smoked duck breast and the steak dinner (my wife said it was the best steak she ever had). Overall, we had a good time and I would recommend this place for anyone to try.Special Features:
- Favorite place in GettysburgsherbearDined on 1/28/2012Always enjoy dining in Gettysburg at J's at the Village. Only wish they did change their menu more oftenSpecial Features:
- Great find near the battlefield!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/4/2012This was not our first time to J's, and it will certainly not be our last!Special Features:
- Small Town, Great FoodDCDinerVIPDined on 11/30/2011What a find! If you happen to be in Gettysburg, don't miss having a great meal. Pass on all the tourist spots and head to J's at the Village--just a stone's throw from the town center.Special Features:
- great food, good, fast service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011great food, good, fast service. mixed drinks were great.Special Features:
- Great place to goLoveeatingout520VIPDined on 11/20/2011We had great food service and a wonderful time. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Food was good rather thanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/12/2011Food was good rather than great...service was very pleasant and helpful. The menu was not particularly exciting and we all ended up with what felt like the very safe choices of steak...which were as expected. The overall "night out" experience really let down by the very drab surroundings...felt like a very dull and dreary fifties restaurant.Needs a rehab...now!!
- Another winner!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/10/2011This was our second wine dinner experience at J's and it was another winner! Fantastic food & wine and superb presentation! I only wish we lived closer!Special Features:
- Enjoyed our meal. The bestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/5/2011Enjoyed our meal. The best restaurant in Gettysburg.Special Features: