J.R.'s Steak and Grill
5400 Hwy. 121
Colleyville, TX 76034Neighborhood:
BurgersPrice: $30 and under
J.R.'s Steak and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jrssteaks.com/
- Phone: (817) 355-1414
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, American, Burgers
- Executive Chef: Todd Phillips
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Sydney Potter to set up all the details.
- Private Party Facilities: Three private rooms ranging in size from 10 to 150 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sydney Potter 8173551414x
- Entertainment: Special Events: Visit us on our website for special events.
A word from J.R.'s Steak and Grill
For excellence in dining, nothing compares to JR's Steak and Grill in Colleyville, Texas. For lunch and dinner JR's offers a cozy yet casual atmosphere that includes a fireplace, stone walls and non-smoking.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
J.R.'s Steak and Grill - Best Restaurants in Colleyville ›
J.R.'s Steak and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (31)neighborhood gem (17)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (16)notable wine list (12)romantic (11)great for lunch (11)vibrant bar scene (6)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (5)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- CharliecatDined on 11/9/2014There seemed to be some confusion at first with our waitress and we did not get immediate service and had to wait a while for the waitress to come to our table. Later the service picked up and all was well. The food was delicious! I would recommend for Sunday bunch, the price is reasonable and the food is great.Special Features:
- quality of the food pricySullyDined on 11/2/2014Maybe I expected more with the prices Tried brunch and IHop is better service was terrible. Tried dinner and gravy was milky runny and over seasoned. To much batter on chicken fried steak. I have had better at lower end restaurant. Maybe my expectations were to high but for the price I expect better
- Great Restaurant!Mimster8Dined on 10/31/2014J.R.'s has great food, great ambiance and great wait staff.Special Features:
- great late evening mealMJfromFloMoDined on 10/25/2014What a fantastic meal, from michael's service to the avocado crab salad to the divine sea bass and tender filet with silky asparagus. The chocolate cake is so much more than that. We'll be bringing friends next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always EnjoyableLocalDinerDined on 10/25/2014Service & food always top notch. Great place for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best flavors everfoodie4rmdaNODined on 10/24/2014I have been to steak houses before Ruth Chris, Del Monico but this was absolutely the best steak I've ever tasted in my life my ribeye was slightly over cooked but the flavor was awesome. I also tasted there enchiladas and enchilada want the proper name for whatever it was I tasted. Thus want your normal Texas cheeses covered cheese cheese this was an authentic brace of ground heaven wrapped in side a tortilla topped with fresh salsa avocado and cheese so fresh I swear they milked the cow then chopped it up to make both my steak and the best enchiladas ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationNewcomerDined on 10/21/2014We know we can always count on JR's for fantastic food and a superb dining experience. The steaks are scrumptious and my husband's new favorite is the peppered ahi tuna, delish!!! Thanks for making this birthday celebration one to remember. :)
- A great escape!Luv2eatsoupDined on 10/21/2014This restaurant is a great escape from the mundane. It is a refreshing change from the same old places we typically go. Service was great and fast but never felt rushed! I will come back when the Champagne Brie soup makes its appearance again!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service & Fun AtmospherehighmaintenancemomDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant was a little more casual than what we had hoped for when we originally made the reservations (desiring an "upscale" evening out at a first-rate steakhouse). However, we found the atmosphere to be fun and the service to be impeccable. The steaks we ordered were cooked well and the crab cake appetizer was huge and quite tasty. We would definitely come back here again, but maybe just to hang out in the bar area, have some appetizers and drinks and watch a game.Special Features:
- Great Food/ServiceSMBJCDined on 10/18/2014We have been to J.R.'s in the past, and the food has always been great! Like the remodel and the fact that you are not overwhelmed with the smoking anymore! That was the only reason we stayed away from dinning here more. But we will be back!!! The service is great, staff very friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Upscale food & service but noisy.dbebertDined on 10/12/2014The meal and service were on par with the best. The noise and TV screens from the sports bar overflowed into the dinning room and proved to be a distraction.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 9 years laterRichDined on 9/27/2014We didn't realize that JR's evolved to a casual sports/steak & grill, I was the only one there with a jacket on, most were in shortsSpecial Features:
- Bad steakJm32Dined on 9/21/2014I ordered the 12oz Ribeye medium rare. It came out about 1/2 thick and cooked Medium Well. The quality of the meat itself was poor as well. My girlfriend ordered the 6oz fillet butterflied and cooked Medium. It came out Medium Rare. All the sides were overly salty and the Mac and cheese was so greasy I could not eat it. I rarely turn down any Mac and cheese, ever!Special Features:
- Sports bar/steak houseTopcat2000Dined on 9/6/2014My daughter and I ordered the 6 oz filet rare. They were seasoned nicely and cooked perfectly. My husband ordered the NY also cooked perfectly. The decor is nice but be aware they do have tvs just adjacent to the restaurant the night we were there the football game was on. It sing really loud nor was it distracting to our meal or conversation.
- A great place to eat...go2placeDined on 9/6/2014I had a girls weekend at my home in Justin TX, friends from LA. My husband and I have been to JR's several times. I took the girls on Saturday night and we weren't disappointed, they were very impressed the food and sevice. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Overall sub par performanceDisappointedDined on 9/5/2014I have been to JR's Steakhouse on several occasions, and over the past two months have been there 5 times. For 4 out of the last 5, my steak was overcooked. It was still very tasty, but when I order a filet medium I expect it to be that way. Most of the time we've had good service but this last time the service was not, and when I'm dropping $300 for a meal I expect to be catered to and not have to educate the service staff. I am likely going to try a new spot the next time I want to treat my wife and friends for a good steak dinner, as I'm not willing to take a chance that my steak isn't going to be cooked the way I ordered it or the service I get is going to be less than acceptable when I'm paying as much as I do there for dinner.Special Features:
- cedar plank salmon great!Top10VIPDined on 9/3/2014Gotta try the salmon which is high quality cold water, served in a good sized portion, and cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table42plzDined on 8/31/2014Went to JRs for a special birthday, had not been there in years but had memories of having excellent food on previous visits (prior to the merger with the grill). We had excellent service, but the food was just mediocre. My steak was over cooked, the waiter did apologize and brought me another very quickly that was cooked perfectly. Nothing that we ordered was of the quality that one expects when paying top dollar for a meal. Flatbread was good but a little boring, smoked prime rib was different but not outstanding. They did serve a delicious complimentary piece of cheesecake to our guest celebrating his birthday. I was disappointed overall that the fond memories I had of this place would remain distant memories.Special Features:
- Very good food. wait staff friendlyBrainsVIPDined on 8/29/2014Very good food. The wait staff were friendly but not intrusive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/24/2014my favorite DFW area restaurant, great food with a very vibrant bar area and close to DFW, I use it for dinner meetings before flying out back to west coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy with everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We had a fantastic dining experience! The service was great thanks to Lauren as she was very attentive and helpful with every request and detail. Our steaks were delicious and our booth was comfortable. We are new to Colleyville and are glad we decided to try J.R.'s for a special evening out and certainly will be returning soon.Special Features:
- 48th Anniversarycelebrate48Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 48th Anniversary. Someone suggested we try your restaurant. We couldn't have been more pleased with everything about our experience. The waiter was professional and created a comfortable environment. The filet mignon was delicious and cooked perfectly. The dessert was free! The plate was scripted, Happy Anniversary, in chocolate. It was a memorable evening. Oh yes, the steaks were fabulous! We live in Denton, but will probably visit the restaurant again. Thank you, Darlene JacobsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way to go! Non-smoking!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014We were very pleased to see the lounge & restaurant are completely non smoking. Fantastic & wish other restaurants would do the same! Understand the lounge has had more customers since the change, so that should be a hint to other establishments. The food & service were excellent in the dining room. Appreciated the complimentary cheesecake to celebrate Ken's birthday.Special Features:
- Wonderful relaxing eveningllbanniversary43Dined on 8/7/2014It was our 43 anniversary. The service (sorry, forgot our sweet waitress name) was awesome! The food was excellent! We have been to del Friscos and Bob's and Cattlemans. NONE compare!!! Thanks for making our evening special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Years Have Not Been Kind1trialgirlDined on 8/2/2014I recall dining at J.R.'s Steak and Grill about 10 years ago, and it was an absolutely delightful experience. The food was fantastic, service great, and the restaurant had the feel of an upscale eatery. I don't know what has happened over the years, but my most recent experience left me rather stunned. First, the service left a lot to be desired -- delay in ordering, wrong app brought to the table (the saving grace was the gentleman who selected a bottle of wine for us when the Stags Leap that we had ordered was the wrong vintage year -- a detail that was ignored by our server). The food was, as well, a real let-down. Unseasoned and mediocre, my entree was not fully eaten. My husband's steak was full of fat and gristle. Will not return.
- go2placeDined on 7/25/2014Such a great find for us. We have had the steak and it is divine. Decided to come in for something different, had the steak sandwich and ribs, they were delicious. It's our new go to place. Great service every time!Special Features:
- great Concierge recommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We were in town for a conference staying at the Gaylord Texan resort. My wife and I wanted a romantic dinner, reasonably priced, as I was under strict per diem guidelines. Lisa, the Concierge at the Gaylord, visited with us for about 15 minutes, before we finally were able to get the recommendation for JRs. During our conversation, we learned that many of the concierge staff had not actually been to, or tasted the cuisine at many of the nearby establishments. After she learned that we were not adverse to driving 15 minutes from the Gaylord to get to your establishment, she recommended JRs, because she had eaten at y'alls place in the past. Evidently, most guests do not want to drive more that 10 minutes from their hotel to have dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1085 reviews are from the J.R.'s Steak and Grill reviews archive.
- Love the Grill...Steakhouse blehMosesDined on 7/20/2014Sandwiches, burgers, appetizers and salads are very good in the Bar & Grill section at JR's. The Steakhouse quality does not live up to many of the other steakhouse choices in Tarrant County. Quality of steaks is average and service matches it....not worth the steakhouse prices. I am sticking to the Bar and Grill area and menu items in the future as the value is better and the bartenders have a winning approach!
- Love the Cedar Plank Salmon!Top10VIPDined on 7/19/2014The fish itself is top quality cold water salmon, cooked on a cedar plank. In addition, the serving is a huge 8 to 10 ounces, comes with a side of rice, or your choice, and a great sauce-all below market, $16.99!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014I was impressed ! We enjoyed the food and menu items. We will be back again. Our waiter was great. Thank you. will go back to sit and enjoy the bar area.Special Features:
- 25th AnnivesarygreatfoodDined on 7/12/2014we always reserve a table for our Annivesary, it has always been really nice, this year was nice as well, only this time our special occassion was not aknowledged, that part of our night was really disappointing, overall, JR's is always great !!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only good thing was the salad!StaciDined on 7/12/2014We went to JRs to celebrate a birthday last Saturday. In my reservation, i requested a table away since we had 2 kids, highchair along with letting them about the birthday. No highchair at the table and waiter did not ask us about birthday. The smell of fried food and bar overwelmed us as we sat down. 6 oz steaks were so thin and not worth $32. They wanted to butterfly a medium well steak- never heard of this! No bread plates were provided. The salads were great. We were so ready to leave we did not ask for the birthday dessert. We had 4 Adults and 2 children under 5 and they automatically added 20 percent onto the bill. We will not return unless we go to sit in the bar and watch college football.
- Different From How We Remembered ItOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014We first visited JR'S for our anniversary back in 2013 and it was wonderful, quite, romantic, open but yet seculded, seating was arranged with table-clothed tables, service and food were stellar, someone was there immediately to literally scrape away crumbs and re-fold the dinner napkin when we excused ourself, it was high-end service. In 2013 it was top-notch, fast-forward to July 2014, JR's re-arranged the seating, reconstructed the menu, made it, "cheap" more kid-friendly, if you will. Wait staff did not carry themselves well, we had to ask for simple things like "bread", twice in fact. It seemed that the dining area had greater access to the bar, from where we sat, we could see 5 televisions. I was ready to leave shortly after arriving.
- cedar plank salmon great!Top10VIPDined on 7/9/2014For 16.99, this is without a doubt, the best salmon in town. It is cooked and served on a cedar plank, and has to weigh, after cooking, at least 8 ounces, if not more. It is obviously bigger than most local restaurants serve, and it comes with a sauce, and optional side of rice, veggies, or a potato. The fish they serve is also top quality, cold water, as you can visualize the segments of the fish. Cudos for giving diners a good fish, at a good price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Good ExperienceBTAGDined on 7/4/2014We have been going to JR's for years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMgirlDined on 7/4/2014Steak was awesome; cheese grits were great; dessert was great! I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to eat!!Ralph2052Dined on 7/1/2014This was our first time to JR'S. I must say that I am extremely impressed with the service and food that we experienced. They went to great lengths to ensure that we were enjoying our visit. The manager came by a couple of times to check on us himself. That was great. We had come to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary.. The finally of our visit was a beautiful piece of cheese cake delivered to our table at no cost. What made that special was the message of "Happy Anniversary" written very elegantly on the plate with chocolate syrup as the ink. Will we go back for just about any occasion or no occasion?? I can say with all certainty that Yes we will! We are looking forward to our next trip to JR'S!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daughters BirthdayfavplaceDined on 6/28/2014This is my not so little anymore (18) daughter favorite place to eat...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner no, lunch yesWantmore2014Dined on 6/23/2014The dinner and appetizer entrees were oily and not well cooked. Kids mac n cheese swimming in butter. Think it could be delicious lunch sandwiches.Special Features:
- HankyDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food, service, and atmosphere. Staff is top notch, with great anticipation of when you need them, without over doing it. This was our third time dining here, and the experience has been awesome every time. They do not disapoint. Keep it up JR's!Special Features: