J.R.'s Steak and Grill
5400 Hwy. 121
Colleyville, TX 76034Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
J.R.'s Steak and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://jrssteaks.com/
- Phone: 8173551414x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch and Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Todd Phillips
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact Sydney Potter to set up all the details.
- Private Party Facilities: Three private rooms ranging in size from 10 to 150 people.
- Private Party Contact: Sydney Potter 8173551414x
- Entertainment: Special Events: Visit us on our website for special events.
A word from J.R.'s Steak and Grill
For excellence in dining, nothing compares to JR's Steak and Grill in Colleyville, Texas. For lunch and dinner JR's offers a cozy, elegant yet casual atmosphere that includes a fireplace, stone walls, subdued lighting and non-smoking. Serving US Prime Steaks, fresh seafood, specialty dishes and dessert.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
J.R.'s Steak and Grill - Best Restaurants in Colleyville ›
J.R.'s Steak and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (36)romantic (20)good for groups (19)neighborhood gem (18)notable wine list (17)great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (14)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (8)great for brunch (5)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- Sports bar/steak houseTopcat2000Dined on 9/6/2014My daughter and I ordered the 6 oz filet rare. They were seasoned nicely and cooked perfectly. My husband ordered the NY also cooked perfectly. The decor is nice but be aware they do have tvs just adjacent to the restaurant the night we were there the football game was on. It sing really loud nor was it distracting to our meal or conversation.
- A great place to eat...go2placeDined on 9/6/2014I had a girls weekend at my home in Justin TX, friends from LA. My husband and I have been to JR's several times. I took the girls on Saturday night and we weren't disappointed, they were very impressed the food and sevice. ThanksSpecial Features:
- Overall sub par performanceDisappointedDined on 9/5/2014I have been to JR's Steakhouse on several occasions, and over the past two months have been there 5 times. For 4 out of the last 5, my steak was overcooked. It was still very tasty, but when I order a filet medium I expect it to be that way. Most of the time we've had good service but this last time the service was not, and when I'm dropping $300 for a meal I expect to be catered to and not have to educate the service staff. I am likely going to try a new spot the next time I want to treat my wife and friends for a good steak dinner, as I'm not willing to take a chance that my steak isn't going to be cooked the way I ordered it or the service I get is going to be less than acceptable when I'm paying as much as I do there for dinner.Special Features:
- cedar plank salmon great!Top10VIPDined on 9/3/2014Gotta try the salmon which is high quality cold water, served in a good sized portion, and cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table42plzDined on 8/31/2014Went to JRs for a special birthday, had not been there in years but had memories of having excellent food on previous visits (prior to the merger with the grill). We had excellent service, but the food was just mediocre. My steak was over cooked, the waiter did apologize and brought me another very quickly that was cooked perfectly. Nothing that we ordered was of the quality that one expects when paying top dollar for a meal. Flatbread was good but a little boring, smoked prime rib was different but not outstanding. They did serve a delicious complimentary piece of cheesecake to our guest celebrating his birthday. I was disappointed overall that the fond memories I had of this place would remain distant memories.Special Features:
- Very good food. wait staff friendlyBrainsVIPDined on 8/29/2014Very good food. The wait staff were friendly but not intrusive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/24/2014my favorite DFW area restaurant, great food with a very vibrant bar area and close to DFW, I use it for dinner meetings before flying out back to west coast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy with everythingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2014We had a fantastic dining experience! The service was great thanks to Lauren as she was very attentive and helpful with every request and detail. Our steaks were delicious and our booth was comfortable. We are new to Colleyville and are glad we decided to try J.R.'s for a special evening out and certainly will be returning soon.Special Features:
- 48th Anniversarycelebrate48Dined on 8/23/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 48th Anniversary. Someone suggested we try your restaurant. We couldn't have been more pleased with everything about our experience. The waiter was professional and created a comfortable environment. The filet mignon was delicious and cooked perfectly. The dessert was free! The plate was scripted, Happy Anniversary, in chocolate. It was a memorable evening. Oh yes, the steaks were fabulous! We live in Denton, but will probably visit the restaurant again. Thank you, Darlene JacobsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way to go! Non-smoking!!!!!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/11/2014We were very pleased to see the lounge & restaurant are completely non smoking. Fantastic & wish other restaurants would do the same! Understand the lounge has had more customers since the change, so that should be a hint to other establishments. The food & service were excellent in the dining room. Appreciated the complimentary cheesecake to celebrate Ken's birthday.Special Features:
- Wonderful relaxing eveningllbanniversary43Dined on 8/7/2014It was our 43 anniversary. The service (sorry, forgot our sweet waitress name) was awesome! The food was excellent! We have been to del Friscos and Bob's and Cattlemans. NONE compare!!! Thanks for making our evening special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Years Have Not Been Kind1trialgirlDined on 8/2/2014I recall dining at J.R.'s Steak and Grill about 10 years ago, and it was an absolutely delightful experience. The food was fantastic, service great, and the restaurant had the feel of an upscale eatery. I don't know what has happened over the years, but my most recent experience left me rather stunned. First, the service left a lot to be desired -- delay in ordering, wrong app brought to the table (the saving grace was the gentleman who selected a bottle of wine for us when the Stags Leap that we had ordered was the wrong vintage year -- a detail that was ignored by our server). The food was, as well, a real let-down. Unseasoned and mediocre, my entree was not fully eaten. My husband's steak was full of fat and gristle. Will not return.
- go2placeDined on 7/25/2014Such a great find for us. We have had the steak and it is divine. Decided to come in for something different, had the steak sandwich and ribs, they were delicious. It's our new go to place. Great service every time!Special Features:
- great Concierge recommendationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014We were in town for a conference staying at the Gaylord Texan resort. My wife and I wanted a romantic dinner, reasonably priced, as I was under strict per diem guidelines. Lisa, the Concierge at the Gaylord, visited with us for about 15 minutes, before we finally were able to get the recommendation for JRs. During our conversation, we learned that many of the concierge staff had not actually been to, or tasted the cuisine at many of the nearby establishments. After she learned that we were not adverse to driving 15 minutes from the Gaylord to get to your establishment, she recommended JRs, because she had eaten at y'alls place in the past. Evidently, most guests do not want to drive more that 10 minutes from their hotel to have dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the Grill...Steakhouse blehMosesDined on 7/20/2014Sandwiches, burgers, appetizers and salads are very good in the Bar & Grill section at JR's. The Steakhouse quality does not live up to many of the other steakhouse choices in Tarrant County. Quality of steaks is average and service matches it....not worth the steakhouse prices. I am sticking to the Bar and Grill area and menu items in the future as the value is better and the bartenders have a winning approach!
- Love the Cedar Plank Salmon!Top10VIPDined on 7/19/2014The fish itself is top quality cold water salmon, cooked on a cedar plank. In addition, the serving is a huge 8 to 10 ounces, comes with a side of rice, or your choice, and a great sauce-all below market, $16.99!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/12/2014I was impressed ! We enjoyed the food and menu items. We will be back again. Our waiter was great. Thank you. will go back to sit and enjoy the bar area.Special Features:
- 25th AnnivesarygreatfoodDined on 7/12/2014we always reserve a table for our Annivesary, it has always been really nice, this year was nice as well, only this time our special occassion was not aknowledged, that part of our night was really disappointing, overall, JR's is always great !!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only good thing was the salad!StaciDined on 7/12/2014We went to JRs to celebrate a birthday last Saturday. In my reservation, i requested a table away since we had 2 kids, highchair along with letting them about the birthday. No highchair at the table and waiter did not ask us about birthday. The smell of fried food and bar overwelmed us as we sat down. 6 oz steaks were so thin and not worth $32. They wanted to butterfly a medium well steak- never heard of this! No bread plates were provided. The salads were great. We were so ready to leave we did not ask for the birthday dessert. We had 4 Adults and 2 children under 5 and they automatically added 20 percent onto the bill. We will not return unless we go to sit in the bar and watch college football.
- Different From How We Remembered ItOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/12/2014We first visited JR'S for our anniversary back in 2013 and it was wonderful, quite, romantic, open but yet seculded, seating was arranged with table-clothed tables, service and food were stellar, someone was there immediately to literally scrape away crumbs and re-fold the dinner napkin when we excused ourself, it was high-end service. In 2013 it was top-notch, fast-forward to July 2014, JR's re-arranged the seating, reconstructed the menu, made it, "cheap" more kid-friendly, if you will. Wait staff did not carry themselves well, we had to ask for simple things like "bread", twice in fact. It seemed that the dining area had greater access to the bar, from where we sat, we could see 5 televisions. I was ready to leave shortly after arriving.
- cedar plank salmon great!Top10VIPDined on 7/9/2014For 16.99, this is without a doubt, the best salmon in town. It is cooked and served on a cedar plank, and has to weigh, after cooking, at least 8 ounces, if not more. It is obviously bigger than most local restaurants serve, and it comes with a sauce, and optional side of rice, veggies, or a potato. The fish they serve is also top quality, cold water, as you can visualize the segments of the fish. Cudos for giving diners a good fish, at a good price!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Good ExperienceBTAGDined on 7/4/2014We have been going to JR's for years and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceMgirlDined on 7/4/2014Steak was awesome; cheese grits were great; dessert was great! I will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to eat!!Ralph2052Dined on 7/1/2014This was our first time to JR'S. I must say that I am extremely impressed with the service and food that we experienced. They went to great lengths to ensure that we were enjoying our visit. The manager came by a couple of times to check on us himself. That was great. We had come to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary.. The finally of our visit was a beautiful piece of cheese cake delivered to our table at no cost. What made that special was the message of "Happy Anniversary" written very elegantly on the plate with chocolate syrup as the ink. Will we go back for just about any occasion or no occasion?? I can say with all certainty that Yes we will! We are looking forward to our next trip to JR'S!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daughters BirthdayfavplaceDined on 6/28/2014This is my not so little anymore (18) daughter favorite place to eat...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner no, lunch yesWantmore2014Dined on 6/23/2014The dinner and appetizer entrees were oily and not well cooked. Kids mac n cheese swimming in butter. Think it could be delicious lunch sandwiches.Special Features:
- HankyDined on 6/20/2014Excellent food, service, and atmosphere. Staff is top notch, with great anticipation of when you need them, without over doing it. This was our third time dining here, and the experience has been awesome every time. They do not disapoint. Keep it up JR's!Special Features:
- Going back soon!BestDined on 6/17/2014Me and wife pass by J.R's all the time and we always say we need to try them out because we love eating out. So we did for our anniversary and were not disappointed at all. Our waitress was excellent and the manager came over to help us with our wine selection. I'm not really a wine drinker but needless to say it was so good we bought the bottle. They gave us a free desert(cheesecake) with happy anniversary wrote on the plate with the chocolate and strawberry syrup. I love prime rib and theirs is the best I have ever had. Although we went on our anniversary you can go on any occasion or just because.Special Features:
- First visitGregDined on 6/17/2014I'd never been to JRs before and was in town visiting a client. The bar is large and covered with TVs so it's very easy to see whatever game you're interested in. I had the special which was a bone-in filet with smashed potatoes, and a side house salad. It was all good and the steak was perfectly cooked. My only complaint about the evening was that the steak wasn't flavorful. I know filet is not NY Strip, but I was expecting some seasoning on the beef and there wasn't any to speak of. Our server was very attentive, the food was hot, the place was clean. I would go again but would try something different just to see how they do something other than beef.Special Features:
- Disappointing DinnerKerryDined on 6/15/2014We have eaten several times at JR Grill and and previously frequented JR's Steakhouse. We were very disappointed with our Father's Day dinner at JR's Steak and Grill. Not only is there no longer the fine dinning at the steakhouse, we felt the even the grill was a better restaurant when it was a stand alone. It was extremely loud, children were running around without supervision (which is a parenting issue but still impacted our visit). We had very poor service (our waitress couldn't even pour a beer correctly yet alone get our order right). Unfortunately our former favorite special occasion dinning location is more. We won't be back to the "new" JR's.
- JRs Steak&Grill, formerly JRs StkhsSassCVIPDined on 6/15/2014Had a nice meal with family on Fathers' Day - Sea Bass, Salmon, Burger, Baloney Sandwich & French dip - basically good reviews. Fish dishes came from the steakhouse menu - cedar plank salmon was large & steamed veggies were a substituted side; sea bass could have used more flavor - avocado relish which comes with was a bit heavy for the dish, substituted asparagus for the rice side (minute rice with corn). Burger & sandwiches came from the old JRs Grill - good, consistent with what you'd expect (french dip now comes with onions). We frequent the "new grill - wish there'd be some new items to the menu on occasion. Best is that the bar area is non-smoking as the rest of the restaurant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/12/2014we had resevations, when we got there we found the menu had changed, and they no longer served rack of lamb. it was a birthday celebration, and we went there just for the rack of lamb, so unfortunately we left and went to the silver fox. It seems you have mixed fine dining with casual hamburgers, we were somewhat disappointed with the new format. The menu is all over the place, and the lamb chops are gone....its a dealbreaker for us.
- Wonder place to eatmeximeltDined on 6/7/2014The atmosphere in the dining is more upscale but many people in caudal clothing. Bar area had a elegant but casual feel. Will go back to just try the bar area. The wait staff was incredible and the food was outstanding and at a great price. We will definitely go back again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/4/2014We celebrated two birthdays. The food was very good and brought to the table in a timely manner. The service from Amanda was outstanding! She was very knowledgible, friendly and efficient. We will return.Special Features:
- Very Good, But....OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/31/2014We've dined at JR's several times in the past and really enjoyed it, it this time it was just a bit off for us. It was a very busy night and the noise level was high for the first hour we were there.Special Features:
- FantasticAnniversaryDinnerDined on 5/29/2014Couldn't have been any better. Food and service was perfect!Special Features:
- Needs WorkiLLWaitDined on 5/24/2014J R' S had a really nice feel from greet to eat. The staff was awesome, everyone introduced themselves and was extremely friendly. The actual food however was not much to write about. We ordered a sampler appetizer and the wings were very salty, the other items were nice enough, but I did expect more from the fried cheese for some reason. The dinner presentation could also use some work in my opinion. My wife ordered a baked potato that didn't look very appealing, she also noted that it was not cooked all the way. ordered asparagus with my steak and couldn't even pick up the flimsy thin pieces with my fork. J R s has some work to do in the kitchen, but I think the atmosphere will keep folks coming back until they get it right.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beef Quesadillas OKTop10VIPDined on 5/24/2014A little unaccostumed to having the meat on any JR's dish come out greasy and sub par. However, that is just what happened on the last trip to JR's. I was hoping for a more substantial and quality beef with more onions-hopefully the quality will improve!
- The following 1061 reviews are from the J.R.'s Steak and Grill reviews archive.
- Good - but not Great YetBHDFWVIPDined on 5/21/2014We had a pretty good first experience here. A varied menu will satisfied a wide range of tastes - the service was adequate - but the atmosphere needs interior design help immediately - it was recently built - but feels like the 80's on the inside. They have recently closed their grill location (a few doors down)and combined it with this steakhouse location - I am not sure where their philosophy will land - it is not a destination restaurant yet - but it competes well with other neighborhood choices.
- Old Meets NewTheCloserDined on 5/18/2014If it has been a few months since dining at JR's, you may be surprised as I was. No more chef specials flown in, white linen table clothes, well appointed table setting, or formal dressed servers bustling about catering to your every need. The food was good and a few selections from the old menu appear to remain. But the new JRs is probably fine for what it is now, a neighborhood up-scale grill. The feel of a chain inside a restaurateurs once established footprint. Bone-in Ribeye was flavorful, Filet was tender but the Oscar style served in an on-plate ladle didn't pour out, but had maybe sit under the lamp a little long waiting. Smashed potato's were great, but temp at arrival varied by individual. The Cheese Grits were excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.