Joya Restaurant & Lounge
339 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Joya Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joyarestaurant.com/
- Phone: (650) 853-9800
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily from 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
Open until Midnight on Thursday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Roux
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: From initial design inception, Joya was envisioned to beautifully accomodate private parties. As such, Joya is a collection of unique, yet flowing separate spaces capable of hosting private parties from 8 to over 200 people in comfortable, modern style.
- Private Party Contact: Jane Zakharchuk 6508539800x3
- Entertainment: During the spring and summer seasons, Joya often hosts live Latin musical performances on its open air patio. The lastest event information is announced on our website: www.joyarestaurant.com
A word from Joya Restaurant & Lounge
From tapas to entradas, Joya Restaurant and Lounge provides a modern interpretation of the rich culinary lineage of Spain and Latin America. Joya is proud to have teamed with Shopworks (designers of W-Hotels in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle and San Diego) to create a natural-hued, contemporary restaurant and lounge that imparts guests with a feeling of comfortable exclusivity. So if you are looking to enjoy a refined Latin-influenced dining experience, new age cocktails and festive live music, we invite you to join us at Joya Restaurant & Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Joya Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Joya Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (88)good for groups (58)hot spot (45)great for outdoor dining (43)neighborhood gem (40)special occasion (38)vibrant bar scene (35)great for lunch (31)romantic (29)notable wine list (22)late-night find (16)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- A birthday to remember!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014A friend recommended Joya to us for my birthday dinner and I am so glad he did! Everything about our experience, from the initial contact from the hostess to confirm our appointment to the time we walked out the door, were all wonderful. We had a lovely table by the window, perfect for people-watching, and our server, Luis, was the perfect balance of present and respectful of privacy. I was so excited to see on the menu that they serve a corpse reviver here, one of my all-time favorite cocktails, and both cocktails we tried were delicious. We opted for a sampling of lots of different tapas, including the sampler platter, which is a total steal for the amount and variety of food you get. We loved the croquetas and the scallops but the mussels and the brussels sprouts didn't wow as much. I couldn't believe Luis offered us complimentary dessert for my birthday, complete with a candle. It was all so thoughtful and brilliantly executed, we can't wait to come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor Service at JoyaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/1/2014I dined at Joya on the night of the 1st November. Great food as usual. The service was terrible!!!! Multiple servers, busboys... total confusion where there were nearly more servers than customers (i was there at 6pm). Really a shame.Special Features:
- rongDined on 10/30/2014Some of the best food you will ever find. We will be back many more times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joya maintains and exceedsPAdinerVIPDined on 10/30/2014My wife and I have been to Joya many times - and have enjoyed each and every time. Great food is the norm, thanks in large part to Fabrice, the Paris trained chef. The restaurant itself is well laid out, energetic without forcing you to be elbow to elbow with other diners. The service strikes the perfect balance, attentive and helpful without intruding or making you feel rushed. WIth so many restaurants along University Avenue, the best recommendation I can give is that there is Joya and then everyone else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingMistyVIPDined on 10/22/2014I usually trust Joya for great food and overall dining experience. This time, however, service was very slow and the fish tacos were deep fried with very little fish; mostly greasy batter.
- Good foodLove2EatDined on 10/17/2014The Argentinian stake was really tasty and customer service was excellent. Great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good wine, so so foodwinedineDined on 10/17/2014This is a very nice looking restaurant -- we eat inside. We both ordered wine, I ordered the Argentinean Malbec, my friend ordered a sonoma sparkling rose -- both were great. Service was fast, polite, and attentive. The food presentation was appealing, but the food was somewhat underwhelming & lacked flavor.Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 10/11/2014My family enjoyed our tapas lunch at Joya, as the Latin chopped salad, chicken tortillas, crab cakes, kobe slider burgers, chips & guacamole, and chicken sandwich were all very tasty. The service was attentive and dining at a street-side table made for a most enjoyable meal. Prices are reasonable and Joya is centrally located in downtown Palo Atlo. We will return one day in the future.Special Features:
- Very enjoyableellenDined on 10/5/2014We sat outside on a very nice night. Our waiter was very attentive (on the side of being too attentive) but the food was fabulous. We had cocktails, a couple of small plates and the polenta (which was excellent), a bottle of wine and dessert. All was greatSpecial Features:
- kikelinVIPDined on 10/5/2014Food was OK but I was expecting a better quality. Portions are big and great appearance. It needs to improve in the taste, in the way its cook.
- It's the place to beOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/4/2014The tapas was all delicious! Was there with a few friends and we tried most of the tapas --Good size portions, reasonable prices, good quality ingredients The restaurant has a high end feel without being snooty. The service was impeccable. Our server, Melissa was so nice and made sure all the tapas could be split evenly amongst the group. I will definitely be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You've got to be kiddingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/27/2014Went here by chance and have been back 3 more times. Love the tapas food and sitting inside with the big windows open. Food prices add up fast and most dishes are very filling so don't over do your order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprising Delight!luv2dine2Dined on 9/27/2014Looking for a lunch spot we had not tried in Palo Alto before and came across Joya. We were surprised and delighted with the wonderful Tapas we shared and would not hesitate to go again (in fact my friend loved it so much that she is going to have her weekly lunch group try it on their next outing). We'll be seeing you again Joya! ;)Special Features:
- Had a great time!FremontMandLDined on 9/23/2014It is a very popular lunch place. Our group of six tried and enjoyed many tapa dishes and the paella! Will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grizzlecatDined on 9/20/2014superb food, friendly staff and great for people watchingSpecial Features:
- Great Open RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/19/2014We had a great time at Joya. I love that the doors are open. Food was very good too, especially the ceviche.Special Features:
- Always consistentKyraEVIPDined on 9/16/2014We've been dining here since they opened and still a great restaurnt! The food are amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic all the way aroundOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014We enjoyed quite a few tapa's, cocktails, and one dessert. The food was fresh, well prepared, and tasted fantastic. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, and prompt without being bothersome. The Desert Heat cocktail was a flavor explosion in my mouth... AMAZING flavor combinations!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/13/2014such a great brunch! food and drinks were awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Palo Alto VibeMaryVIPDined on 9/11/2014Server was friendly and knowledgable. I had time to kill before my friend arrived and observed two big parties of business men/women sharing tapas and using their smart phones to take pictures, send emails . . . even egads . . . talk . Very entertaining. Hope to return when I'm in town again.Special Features:
- at at the barSVnativeDined on 9/9/2014We ate dinner at the bar and really enjoyed ourselves. The food and wine were great. Our bartenders gave us great service and the atmosphere was perfect.Special Features:
- Fun with a groupBusinesslunchesVIPDined on 9/6/2014We enjoy ordering tapas to share and a paella for the table. This past time, the service was terribly spotty, I hope it was just an off night.
- A Night at Joyabobbies75thVIPDined on 9/6/2014Have been to Joya many times. It is a great place for a light bite They have a nice selection of Tapas. Our only complaint is the service. It could be a bit more efficient and warm. Waiters need to be more interactive with their customers, as well as the hostess. What does it take to be friendly?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 9/5/2014In years of dining at Joya, I’ve never had a meal that was less than excellent. The tapas menu is superb, with a wide selection of dishes and ingredients, and each is well thought-out. Great preparation methods, perfect sauce accompaniments when appropriate, and just the right mix of flavors. The main dishes are equally great, with a shorter menu but enough choices to satisfy most people. The wine list is also selective, with some interesting by-the-glass and bottle options that complement the food very well. The service has been attentive and efficient every time I’ve been there: new silverware with each new plate of food (even after many tapas small plates), and patience in letting us order just a couple of small plates at a time.Special Features:
- Always excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014Both the tapas (and there are many interesting selections) and main entrees are wonderful. I've been coming here for years and have always had an excellent experience.Special Features:
- Love this placeNancyVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is great. My only suggestion is that if you are ordering the Tapas, you should specify that you want the dishes to come out one at a time (if that is what you want) otherwise they bring them all at once which is very annoying.Special Features:
- lovejoyaDined on 8/25/2014Love the Paella!! Should place the order ahead because it takes 30-40 minutes. Good place for special occasions. Love it when there's a special treat for birthday: I got fresh fired churro with dark chocolate dip, not to mention a candle with it!! My girlfriends and I really enjoyed our lunch there. Love the ambiance and the place is not noisy at all so we can actually have conversation.Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014In town on business and selected Joya. Perfect choice for five of us- great food and pretty diverse wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Perfect place for a business lunch. Delicious food and fun outdoor space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as AlwaysDaveVVIPDined on 8/13/2014Great small plates and tapas. Fun atmosphere in heart of Palo Alto's downtown "scene".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- albertVIPDined on 8/12/2014Tapas are really good. It is a fun place to go on a date or group of 4 to six friends and share tapas. Very good service and nice ambienceSpecial Features:
- Tapas for dinnerFamilyFirstDined on 8/10/2014There is enough variety on the tapas menu, that we ordered several and that was what we had for dinner. It's a pricey way to go though, ended up being around $40 per person for the table. The wine by the glass menu lacks diversity. Food was great, spicy, tasty, and came quickly. Wait staff is a bit condescending to kids for a Palo Alto restaurant. It's our second time there, and found this to be true both times.Special Features:
- Great--as usualSomethingoodDined on 8/9/2014We order tapas and share them for a great meal. The chipotle chicken and rib tacos are favs, but so is everything. We like to request an outside table, so it is not noisy. We are not sure about noise inside. We come here when friends are visiting, because everyone can find something to eat, and all of it is well-prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the flavor?ToddyDined on 8/8/2014The food prep was good, the ingredients were great, but it lacked flavor or kick. Our server was just outstanding and recognized immediately that we didn't care too much for the food. He brought us various sauces to augment the flavor, but it wasn't for us. The ambiance is good and there was an eclectic mix of people there. From young professionals to families as well as office parties. Then there was one group that was trying to eat tapas like rice out of bowl with chopsticks. It was rather amusing to watch them. The wine selection was average, but it was presented rather well. I must confess that I'm more educated than the average wine aficionado about wine, so it does take a lot to impress me with wine.Special Features:
- The following 887 reviews are from the Joya Restaurant & Lounge reviews archive.
- JoyaCindaDined on 7/26/2014Food was very good and service was great. We would return.Special Features:
- Great PaellaPCatUCDined on 7/19/2014Must order the paella. The menu said serving 2 but it is really large. It can definitely fill up 4 people. Cocktail is pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PaellaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2014The Paella is amazing. Order it in advance as it takes 45min to make. Ceviche, Taco's etc. were all great. Service was slow, and although we had an 8PM reservation, we were finally seated at 8.30. It then took at least 10min for the waiter to greet us and take our order. The tapas came quickly, food is very good.Special Features:
- an average fusion restaurantberiozzaVIPDined on 7/18/2014Good service, but one would expect more from sshef's estaurant
- Rude and incompetent hostessesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2014We were treated rudely by 2 female hostesses who seemed to have difficulty understanding the reservation system at their desk. They could not locate our reservation and required us to produce our confirmation. Once that was done they did finally see our reservation on their system. No apologies for this and refused to seat us at one of the empty tables for two in the section we requested stating that they were reserved. Very unpleasant experience. Waitress was fine but did not warn us that we had greatly over ordered and we ended up taking a lot of food home. Have eaten here before but probably would not bother with this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Vibrant location in PAFoodierachVIPDined on 7/14/2014This is one of my go to spots for date nights in PA. The price and food is reasonable and good. It is located on the Main Street of university ave, so it's easy to find especially to use as a landmark. The service and food are average, I use this place mainly for the convenience of locating it. The interiors are better than most restaurants in Palo Alto. Def recommend this place for HH, brunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.