Joya Restaurant & Lounge
339 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
Latin / SpanishPrice: $30 and under
Joya Restaurant & Lounge
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joyarestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6508539800
- Hours of Operation:
Open Daily from 11:30 am - 10:00 pm
Open until Midnight on Thursday - Saturday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin / Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Fabrice Roux
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: From initial design inception, Joya was envisioned to beautifully accomodate private parties. As such, Joya is a collection of unique, yet flowing separate spaces capable of hosting private parties from 8 to over 200 people in comfortable, modern style.
- Private Party Contact: Jane Zakharchuk 6508539800x3
- Entertainment: During the spring and summer seasons, Joya often hosts live Latin musical performances on its open air patio. The lastest event information is announced on our website: www.joyarestaurant.com
A word from Joya Restaurant & Lounge
From tapas to entradas, Joya Restaurant and Lounge provides a modern interpretation of the rich culinary lineage of Spain and Latin America. Joya is proud to have teamed with Shopworks (designers of W-Hotels in New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Seattle and San Diego) to create a natural-hued, contemporary restaurant and lounge that imparts guests with a feeling of comfortable exclusivity. So if you are looking to enjoy a refined Latin-influenced dining experience, new age cocktails and festive live music, we invite you to join us at Joya Restaurant & Lounge.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joya Restaurant & Lounge - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Joya Restaurant & Lounge reviews from OpenTable diners
149 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (80)special occasion (52)good for groups (49)vibrant bar scene (49)hot spot (46)great for outdoor dining (44)neighborhood gem (41)romantic (34)great for lunch (33)notable wine list (22)late-night find (17)great for brunch (11)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Love this placeNancyVIPDined on 8/27/2014Food is great. My only suggestion is that if you are ordering the Tapas, you should specify that you want the dishes to come out one at a time (if that is what you want) otherwise they bring them all at once which is very annoying.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Love the Paella!! Should place the order ahead because it takes 30-40 minutes. Good place for special occasions. Love it when there's a special treat for birthday: I got fresh fired churro with dark chocolate dip, not to mention a candle with it!! My girlfriends and I really enjoyed our lunch there. Love the ambiance and the place is not noisy at all so we can actually have conversation.Special Features:
- Great spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014In town on business and selected Joya. Perfect choice for five of us- great food and pretty diverse wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Perfect place for a business lunch. Delicious food and fun outdoor space.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as AlwaysDaveVDined on 8/13/2014Great small plates and tapas. Fun atmosphere in heart of Palo Alto's downtown "scene".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- albertVIPDined on 8/12/2014Tapas are really good. It is a fun place to go on a date or group of 4 to six friends and share tapas. Very good service and nice ambienceSpecial Features:
- Tapas for dinnerFamilyFirstDined on 8/10/2014There is enough variety on the tapas menu, that we ordered several and that was what we had for dinner. It's a pricey way to go though, ended up being around $40 per person for the table. The wine by the glass menu lacks diversity. Food was great, spicy, tasty, and came quickly. Wait staff is a bit condescending to kids for a Palo Alto restaurant. It's our second time there, and found this to be true both times.Special Features:
- Great--as usualSomethingoodDined on 8/9/2014We order tapas and share them for a great meal. The chipotle chicken and rib tacos are favs, but so is everything. We like to request an outside table, so it is not noisy. We are not sure about noise inside. We come here when friends are visiting, because everyone can find something to eat, and all of it is well-prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where's the flavor?ToddyDined on 8/8/2014The food prep was good, the ingredients were great, but it lacked flavor or kick. Our server was just outstanding and recognized immediately that we didn't care too much for the food. He brought us various sauces to augment the flavor, but it wasn't for us. The ambiance is good and there was an eclectic mix of people there. From young professionals to families as well as office parties. Then there was one group that was trying to eat tapas like rice out of bowl with chopsticks. It was rather amusing to watch them. The wine selection was average, but it was presented rather well. I must confess that I'm more educated than the average wine aficionado about wine, so it does take a lot to impress me with wine.Special Features:
- JoyaCindaDined on 7/26/2014Food was very good and service was great. We would return.Special Features:
- Great PaellaPCatUCDined on 7/19/2014Must order the paella. The menu said serving 2 but it is really large. It can definitely fill up 4 people. Cocktail is pretty good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PaellaOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 7/19/2014The Paella is amazing. Order it in advance as it takes 45min to make. Ceviche, Taco's etc. were all great. Service was slow, and although we had an 8PM reservation, we were finally seated at 8.30. It then took at least 10min for the waiter to greet us and take our order. The tapas came quickly, food is very good.Special Features:
- an average fusion restaurantberiozzaVIPDined on 7/18/2014Good service, but one would expect more from sshef's estaurant
- Rude and incompetent hostessesOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/16/2014We were treated rudely by 2 female hostesses who seemed to have difficulty understanding the reservation system at their desk. They could not locate our reservation and required us to produce our confirmation. Once that was done they did finally see our reservation on their system. No apologies for this and refused to seat us at one of the empty tables for two in the section we requested stating that they were reserved. Very unpleasant experience. Waitress was fine but did not warn us that we had greatly over ordered and we ended up taking a lot of food home. Have eaten here before but probably would not bother with this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Vibrant location in PAFoodierachVIPDined on 7/14/2014This is one of my go to spots for date nights in PA. The price and food is reasonable and good. It is located on the Main Street of university ave, so it's easy to find especially to use as a landmark. The service and food are average, I use this place mainly for the convenience of locating it. The interiors are better than most restaurants in Palo Alto. Def recommend this place for HH, brunch and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, watered down drinkswateredDownMojitosDined on 7/13/2014I normally make a meal of the tapas selection (which is great. Must try the tostados), this time ordering a couple of Mojitos. I don't normally order an alcoholic beverage from this place as they specialize in wine (and that's not my thing) but I got the Mojitos and they tasted like water with a slight flavoring. Even the mint or lime wasn't coming through in them at all, and definitely not any alcohol.Special Features:
- Summertime TapasJMSTravelerVIPDined on 7/13/2014I love the relaxed feel of this place – the front wall opens up for an outside feel from the inside, very pleasant. We shared tapas. The pink taro and spinach croquetas were delicious and the sautéed gambas deserve a return visit. Everyone liked the dungeness crab cakes and ceviche. The chipotle chicken tostadas finished things off quite nicely. Their white peach sangria - house-made with fresh fruit and sauvignon blanc wine - was very refreshing. The atmosphere is very casual and lively and the service is impeccable.Special Features:
- RainbowDined on 7/12/2014Kobe beef mini-burgers were fabulous. Everything else was also great: ceviche, crab cakes, paella, short rib tacos, deviled eggs, scallops, churros, etc. Waitress was attentive.Special Features:
- entrediningdelightsDined on 7/11/2014The seabass entre was very very average, too dry, no flavor, not done well. It needed a light sauce of some kind. Their appetizer of cheese and charcuterie was quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food vibrant ambientlatinoDined on 7/8/2014The food was very good, prices were reasonable and the ambient was very friendly and casual. I'm planning to come back with my family.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2014The food is bad period. The short rib taco is the worst taco I ever ate. The paella is over seasoned. This place, the food does not match the price. Also the waiters always rushing you.
- Joya Holding it Down!kellmenowDined on 7/3/2014I had quite an exquisite time while dining at Joya with an old friend. The service was prompt, I was never left wandering where my server was and my glasses (both alcoholic and water) were never empty. Meaghan was our server and I have to say she did a great job. We ordered the Tapas sampler and were not disappointed, delicious every last bite of it! The Seville Spied is an EXCELLENT cocktail that I would recommend for anyone that likes vodka ;-) The dinner and drinks were so good we thought we might as well splurge on desert: pineapple cake with vanilla ice cream. YUM. I must say everything about the evening from the service, to the actual food, to the setting was top of line. Will definitely be visiting again.Special Features:
- A Definite To Go To!SharonDined on 6/26/2014The four of us enjoyed the evening at Joya very much. The food was really tasty and service quite good (for being seated in the back of the restaurant where patrons are often ignored!). We'll go again and will recommend it to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- thank you Joya!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/26/2014JOYA AS ALWAYS WAS FABULOUS. THANK YOU TO THE STAFF!Special Features:
- Great food & Great ServiceFalguniMDined on 6/26/2014I really like the quality of food at this place and they provide great service. Thank you!Special Features:
- Good food, service needs helpUSCTVIPDined on 6/26/2014I've dined here for lunch multiple times and the food is very good but the service always needs help. It never fails... the server disappears never to be seen again. Even getting a refill on soda is painful.
- JonnyODined on 6/25/2014Everything was fine, but nothing special. Food was good, not great. Service was friendly but mildly intrusive, and ambiance was lovely (on a summer evening open to the street).
- jamieVIPDined on 6/21/2014First time at Joya. Pleasantly surprised. The cerviche (three type sampler) was excellent -- each fresh and different tastes. The salmon was cooked perfectly -- the squash was grilled and juicy. Although the restaurant was busy and atmosphere was lively, we felt relaxed prior to our concert at Bing. We will return.
- A do I g DelightCaliforniafoodieDined on 6/14/2014We were seated inside so it was a bit noisy. The guacamole and varied chips were excellent!! I was disappointed that my glass of wine was overpriced for the very small amount/splash served by the glass. The hanger steak and paella entrees delicious and good sized. My daughter thought her sangria was delightful, tasty and chock full of fruit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always tastyspcydishDined on 6/14/2014The food is tasty and consistent! Loved the short rib tacos, the crab cakes, the scallops and the tuna tartare!Special Features:
- The burger lives up to its nameFunGirlsDined on 6/8/2014My friends and I enjoyed the tapas dishes and the atmosphere a lot. It's great for girls night out.Special Features:
- tanimomVIPDined on 6/6/2014Main complaint is that they allowed a big non-service dog into the restaurant and sat that party next to us inside the restaurant. We moved to another table and the table next to the dog was left empty. The hosts should have only seated that party with their big pet dog to a table outdoors.
- Upscale Latin CuisineKatsDined on 6/4/2014We had a fantastic experience at Joya. The food was incredible and every dish exemplified the freshness and flavor of Latin cuisine at it's best. The service was exemplary. See my full review with photos on my blog at www.delish-dish.com!Special Features:
- EDWARDVIPDined on 6/4/2014Lunch at a Joya sidewalk table was most enjoyable, as my friend and I thoroughly enjoyed the pork gambas, latin soup, beef & raisin empenadas, and beef rib tacos. Each item was very tasty and the wait staff was most attentive. It was fun eating a wide range of latin tapas while sitting along University Avenue. Joya's is a good choice for lunch when in downtown Palo Alto.Special Features:
- asdfghjkl12345Dined on 5/29/2014It was an ok dinner. We ordered the tapas sampler plate and the sea bass. The tapas plate included: rock cod ceviche, spinach croquetas, chorzio, white corn empanadas, and some other things that I don't really remember. The ceviche was the best and it was fresh and had the right balance of sweet and tangy and salty. The croquetas were decent, but I wouldn't really order again. The chorzio was good, not overly greasy, but it could do with less oil! The empanadas were bland and mostly dough. The sea bass entree was pretty small and it was a bit overpriced for the portion. However, it was cooked very nicely and it was extremely tender. Overall, pretty expensive for the portion sizes but if you order right, it'll be worth it.
- good food bad hostestpashmVIPDined on 5/26/2014The hostess (either Darrel or something similar to that) plain rude. When we asked to have a private corner as a couples so we can enjoy the food and have a nice conversation, she regretfully rejected the table choice and told us that it is only available for 4 people. not even 10 min pass from that incident she offered the table to two guys with a big huge flirting smile. Lesson learned- if you are not a single, young guy avoid asking this specific hostess to accommodate your needs...
- service was greatmotherof6Dined on 5/21/2014Our waiter was pleasant and always making sure we were ok .food was deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Place - make a note!ConsistentlyGreatDined on 5/15/2014Last Thursday was my first time at this place. It was a business - friendly get together with potentially new employer. Really nice place, great food and service, very pleasant atmosphere, good cocktails, definitely will come back and have already told to a few friends! Keep it up - please, not too many that combine all of the above and more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas rock!FamilyFirstDined on 5/13/2014I came here with my daughters for my birthday. We ordered some tapas and the paella. The food was fabulous, though a bit spicy for kids who are not adventurous eaters. The server was abrupt and rushed, but the support servers who cleared our plates and refilled water were friendly and happy. Wine selection by the glass is limited, much more extensive on the bottle list. My daughter thought the chocolate milk was awesome. I put that it was my birthday on the reservation and no one at the restaurant acknowledged it, not even the hostess. The food is the reason I'd go back. It was a Tuesday night at 8:00 -10:00 pm so this was not a frantic time for the waitstaff to excuse his rudeness. Not very kid friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tasty!GirlSaysDoDined on 5/9/2014Loved the food- We had the sampler and paella (takes 40 minutes to prepare). We were so amazed how flavorful everything was. The only thing in the sampler I didn't love was a stuffed pepper- It had some kind of cheese in it, but it was too much cheese for me. The red sangria was great, and the cocktail that resembled a pina colada was yummy for a dessert. The real dessert of churros were also yummy. I don't know it was worth paying that much for churros, but the experience was great. Good service and wonderful atmosphere. Highly recommended- will come back for tapas!Special Features: