884 Queen Street East
Toronto, ON M4M 1J3Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joybistro.com/
- Phone: 4164658855
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 8:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Canadian, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Joy caters all-sized functions from office lunches to ten-course receptions. We work with clients to create a custom menu that reflects their individuality and preferences. We do off-site catering anywhere in the GTA as well as on-site catering atJoy, our sumptuous second-floor lounge, which accommodates 65 for dinner or 100+ for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres.
- Special Events: Joy Bistro may be booked out for events of many sizes. We have a bistro that seats 80 with a licensed capacity of 120, a bar with a capacity of 60, 2 ground level patios with capacities of 40 and 114, and a second floor terrace patio that is perfect for small intimate parties of 16 or less. Please fill out the event form below and we will contact you within 24 hours to help you plan your event.
A word from Joy Bistro
Joy Bistro is the cornerstone of the newly hot Queen Street East strip. With its cozy feel and candlelit warmth, Joy delivers a diverse menu with generous portions, modest prices and big, big flavors. Service is friendly, knowledgeable and unpretentious. Believe it or not, this gem morphs seamlessly from breakfast/brunch to lunch and into dinner. Wine lovers rejoice! Joy boasts a simple, but solid wine list with many bottles, unbelievably, under $30.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerComfort Food
Joy Bistro - Best Restaurants in Leslieville ›
Joy Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (20)great for brunch (20)neighborhood gem (16)great for lunch (12)fit for foodies (10)kid-friendly (9)good for groups (9)special occasion (3)scenic view (2)romantic (1)Show More
- Not Bad Brunch SpotMandy777Dined on 10/19/2014Cool atmosphere and vibe. Went there for brunch. Liked all the options on the menu. Everyone at my table (4 of us total) seemed to enjoy their meal but mine was cold and the eggs in the eggs benedict were overcooked. I would give them a second chance though. We made reservations, which was nice since most brunch restaurants dont take reservations and we were seated fairly quick. Also, the other brunch restaurants in the area had lineups outside so it was nice we didn't have to wait outside for brunch.Special Features:
- Creative BrunchMontrealerMVIPDined on 10/12/2014Joy Bistro @ Booth & Queen We were 9 & had a nice long table upstairs. The kids had the kids menu. Not sure the age limit but for very little kids it was ok but for 9-12s it was a bit too small. One person had the Joy Scrambler, nicely presented and very good. One had the chocolate, coconut, banana, cherry waffle, mmmm. The rest of us had the special Joy Benny: on jalapeno bread, crispy fried chicken breast, mushrooms, poached eggs with a melted smoked Gouda cheese sauce. That was excellent! There were orders of maple bacon, OJs and coffees. Service was nice and informed. There were water pitchers on the table. Coffee refills were fine. Pretty restaurant. Nice place for brunch for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Best BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014I love coming here for a late Sunday brunch! The chef always has great specials featured, and the benedict's are to die for! Love Joy Bistro!Special Features:
- What's the point of being here?coldpineapplesDined on 9/6/2014Made reservations through OpenTable and even got a confirmation email. But when I called hours before to reconfirm again, turns out they don't been check their online reservations. Luckily they had enough room to accomodate my party. Food was mediocre, but for the price we were paying, portions were way too small. Wait staff was very unattentive to our needs. Probably won't be coming back for dinner, but I might want to try their brunch.Special Features:
- What a gem!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2014Excellent overall experience & delicious food. Nice twist on classic comfort foods. Wish we had visited sooner. Definitely will return. Try the "KFC" :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/21/2014I was a little disappointed at the limited menu (they were getting ready for a new menu) because I had been expecting a Summerlicious menu (which had ended the night before). But the food was quite tasty (everyone in my party enjoyed their meals) and the service was good. The $5/glass wine during happy hour was a nice bonus.Special Features:
- Encouragingly adventuresomebertiusDined on 7/20/2014Summerlicious and they provided a far more adventuresome than the predictable ones elsewhere. Wild boar terrine was a fine starter and goat shoulder was a new taste (texture of roast lamb but a far more delicate flavour). Three different desserts in small portions was a fine ending. Found the wine list somewhat pricey for the offerings but the Mad Tom IPA was an excellent substitute. Attentive, but not intrusive, service.Special Features:
- Good experienceMsamhDined on 7/15/2014Have been here numerous times for brunch and dinner. Food is always good, service is great, and the outdoor patio is nice to people watch. Went more recently for summerlicious, it was nice to get all 3 desserts instead of having to choose (all were very good!)Special Features:
- Very Boring FoodDKM1Dined on 7/13/2014The service was relaxed, jovial and efficient. The food was unbelievably bland.
- No table!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/13/2014What's the point of making a reservation when there is no table reserved and the staff seem surprised that you're expecting a table that will fit your party. Went elsewhere for brunch.
- Fabulous brunchlooking4greateatsVIPDined on 7/13/2014We were a group of 6 and each one of us thoroughly enjoyed our meal. Their various eggs Benny are delicious and creative, love that they're served on fresh hash browns and not bread!Special Features:
- Summerlicious - Joy BistroeatmeDined on 7/12/2014Loved their back patio, very cozy! The dessert trio was probably the highlight of the Summerlicious menu but everything was quite good. We went on a Saturday at 7pm and though it was busy, it wasn't overly crowded which was nice.Special Features:
- Brunch al frescoCodyDined on 7/12/2014Great brunch spot. Dining outdoors on the patio on a beautiful day. Delicious choices - something for everyone. The meals were very tasty and the service was friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- Wonderful service, great food!FrancezoeDined on 7/11/2014We enjoyed Summerlicious lunch. The menu was thoughtful with quite a range for a prix fixe. We particularly enjoyed the rabbit terrine and the blueberry bread pudding. While the food was very good, what made it really special was our waiter. He was friendly without being in our face all the time, thoughtful and careful. He really knows his work and made the experience a wonderful one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MediocrebexafterdarkDined on 7/6/2014The food was mediocre at best and there was hair on my friend's soup. We returned it and decided to eat the rest of the summerlicious menu. Food wasn't bad, flavour was there, but it definitely could have been better.Special Features:
- Great foodfoodienoviceDined on 7/6/2014Great, inventive food items, right down to the home made ketchup!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ObbligattoDined on 7/5/2014In Toronto for a family gathering and went with in-laws for lunch. We selected it for walking distance from accomodations, fact it was on park and nice light lunch menu. Food was amazing and original and all enjoyed but the menu was not the same as on-line and very limited so not quite enough choice for some at the table. Summerlicios menu good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, not overly impressive.SelfapptdfoodieDined on 7/4/2014Tried the summerlicious menu, the goat could have been slightly warmer . It was almost cold when we got our plates. Service was a bit slow. A little bit disappointed since most people rave about the placeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good neighborhood spotBiBiTiTiDined on 6/22/2014cute patio off the main street with a view of the park which is nice on a summer day. food tasted alright just nothing too special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 220 reviews are from the Joy Bistro reviews archive.
- Fantastic brunchsummertimebrunchinDined on 6/7/2014Great bunch location, patio is perfect for a warm summers day. Hostesses were beyond friendly and courteous. Very much enjoyed. We all actually ordered the Omelette...mmm...so many flavours and textures.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really delicious foodgdfoodiscernerDined on 5/18/2014The 4 of us really enjoyed our brunch on the Sunday of the long weekend. All the food looks good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent choiceTjayDined on 5/17/2014Loved the food and service. Nice options for vegetarians and meat eaters. A lovely neighbourhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem in LeslievilleYaYaDined on 5/11/2014A great place for brunch, lunch & dinner! Definitely great food and excellent service!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchNewCustomerDined on 5/11/2014We had a very good brunch for Mother's Day. The menu is imaginative and delicious. The service, although very friendly, was slow and we went through long stretches of not seeing our server (resulting in empty coffee cups). The food, though, was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerrstan11Dined on 5/9/2014Great service and a great meal...we really enjoyed our dinner at Joy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No so joyous 5@5OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/6/2014Our waiter did not offer us the 5@5 menu, and we had to ask for it. The waiter was snooty after we placed the initial order of several of the specials and the root vegetable poutine, no smile. He came back to unapologetically inform us that they ran out of oysters after we ordered 10 of them too. Coincidence? I think not. The poutine was not that special, just some carrots and yams added to the regular fried tater mix. The pickerel dinner that we added on afterwards, was okay. The fish portion was quite small, but was decently cooked. The only thing that stood out and I would come back for is the popcorn chicken fingers, as the breading was some really good popcorn. Won't be back unless I have a popcorn chicken craving.
- really enjoyed my visitmelnikkDined on 4/21/2014I had lunch @ joy bistro with a friend, my 7 month old baby and my friend's son. The staff was so lovely and kind and kid friendly. Food was great. It was clearly freshly made, not frozen. I would go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!JillDined on 4/20/2014Both times I've been to Joy have been for brunch with family - I love that they take reservations and can accommodate groups. It makes Sunday brunch easy! The dinning area upstairs is beautiful with lots of natural light and the food is delicious! It's always fresh and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisakoVIPDined on 4/18/2014My boyfriend and I had the best brunch ever here this weekend! The Eggs Norwegian was a delicious smoked salmon benny on a potato rosti, and he had a steak benedict with the most tender and delicious meat ever. The indoor ambience was lovely, and they have a large patio which would be great in the summer.Special Features:
- Neighborhood FavouriteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/6/2014This place has amazing burguers and great original brunch food. Service is a bit slow (guess making fresh food takes it toll) but overall is really great for good food when you have kids. Not a pretensious placeSpecial Features:
- SatAMBrunch 4 6 (incl baby&toddler)WittydinerDined on 4/5/2014Made a reso for brunch on a saturday @ 11am on opentable, so convenient! Didn't even know their beautiful second floor existed. Service and food were great, 2nd floor was bright, gorgeous and had lots of room. Our party was two couples and we each had a baby/toddler. There was a big unisex bathroom on the main floor with a change table, which means that next time, the hubs can change the diaper while I sip on my delicious Caesar ;) Will def be back for brunch, lunch or dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joy bistro a stapleJfotogDined on 3/29/2014Was a great place for dinner. We had our 6month old daughter and they were very accommodating. Food was very tasty and well cooked. Nothing was over cooked and it was all done incredibly well. I recommend to anyone in the area especially with summer coming up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- brunnch!higgyliamDined on 3/22/2014Short rib hash was amazing as were the scrambled eggs. Corn bread pancakes had the potential to be the same however they were a little burnt :-( although the blueberry lemon compote made up for the slight burn factor. Overall it was a great brunch portions were on point and the price in relation to how delicious the food was also scored points. definitely will be hitting this place up again in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/9/2014The service was slow and a little rude. The hostess insisted that we didn't have a reservation and sent two members of our party away even though an Open Table reservation was made the day before. The resteraunt was very, very cold. The brunch fruit was over ripe. Nice Benedict and short-rib hash, though. We won't be back.
- A very tasty wine followedTOeatsDined on 3/3/2014A very tasty wine followed by a juicy burger, delicious poutine and good Canadian butter tart! The waitress even thoughtfully put a candle into the tart for my friend's birthday. It was a very nice night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food?rv3brunchDined on 2/23/2014just to let you know there was a hair in one of my friends meal service slow on the uptake of taking away our plates had to remind server that there was special order for a happy birthday piece of cakeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was okay...JennVIPDined on 2/17/2014Overall experience was meh. Better breakfast places in the area.Special Features:
- Good food good service.SirRobertDined on 2/14/2014Better in the summer as a bit chilly thru the winter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always pleasedEricDined on 2/14/2014We went there 10 yrs ago for our first date. Although owners have changed it's only been betterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Winterlicious Experience!voygeursDined on 2/10/2014I had never been to Joy Bistro before. I wanted to take advantage of Winterlicious with a couple of friends. We live in that general area so I suggested Joy after checking out their menu for Winterlicious. We were not disappointed! We all picked different items on the menu and ended up tasting each other's because they were so delicious. The service was warm and courteous. I would definitely dine there again and would bring along friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.