Josselin's Tapas Bar and Grill
2829 Ala Kalanikaumaka St.
Koloa, HI 96756Neighborhood:
Tapas / Small PlatesPrice: $31 to $50
Josselin's Tapas Bar and Grill
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://josselins.com/
- Phone: (808) 742-7117
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 5:00pm-9pm
Daily 5:00pm - 10pm During Peak Season
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Seafood, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jean Marie Josselin
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact us about catering options.
- Private Party Facilities: Josselin"s Tapas Bar and Grill is ideal for large groups. Great Social atmosphere!
- Private Party Contact: Andrew Ha 8087427117x
A word from Josselin's Tapas Bar and Grill
Chef Jean Marie Josselin has created another masterpiece with this new and unique tapas restaurant. Imagine dining in a rustic, yet contemporary, style dining room with an open view of the kitchen where the wood-burning oven cooks fresh, local produce, fish and meat to perfection. Share several different tapas and taste incredible culinary creations. Enjoy refreshing signature sangrias served tableside like you have never had it before. This chic new hotspot on Kauai"s south shore will have you coming back time and time again, making each experience a memorable one. "The Whole Process is About Sharing."Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Josselin's Tapas Bar and Grill - Best Restaurants in Koloa ›
Josselin's Tapas Bar and Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)good for groups (33)special occasion (32)hot spot (19)neighborhood gem (18)romantic (17)late-night find (8)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (4)vibrant bar scene (4)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)Show More
- On Kauai, Josselin's delicious food and Sangriag2manDined on 11/18/2014We discovered Josselin's a number of years ago and every time we come to Kauai, we reserve a evening at this warm and fun tapas place. They have both small and large items on the menu, so you can be creative doing something different each time you go. And of course the Sangria Cart with not 3 but this time 4 Sangria's to choose from. Enjoy!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAnabananaDined on 11/6/2014Every course we ordered was never a disappointmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josselin's is FascinatingNancysNotesDined on 11/4/2014This place is very fun! Hard to decide which 2-3 dishes one wants to order. First time we have been there as just a couple.........used to more people ordering different dishes, so we ordered WAY too much food!!! Everything different and delish! Will go back for sure.Special Features:
- Great Place To ShareVickiVIPDined on 10/29/2014had a wonderful time. Shared 6 tapas with my husband and a friend. Loved the butterfish, green beans with mushrooms and sauce, crispy calamari,pumpkin raviolis and tempura rock shrimp. The only disappointing dish was pasta with shrimp. Our waitress was knowledgable and friendly. The prices are high but we love the food and are sad to hear they are closing soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something Special...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/21/2014On the spur of the moment, decided to enjoy a night out with my wife, had a cert. that I had won at work the week prior, so decision of were to dine was easy, been there several times, so looked forward to the return! Waitress was extremely friendly, menu's arrived promptly and signature drinks offered! Set the night of very nicely, all selection arrived at just the right time and all customers around us seemed to be enjoying themselves as well. Thanks for a memorable night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawaiian TapasMplseatsDined on 10/14/2014Very good presentation and excellent service made this stylish Tapas Restaurant a winner for us. Fish offerings in particular were delicious.Special Features:
- Waiter DisappearedEmilyDined on 10/13/2014Everything was fine until the busboy brought the second group of tapas that we ordered. Our server never came to our table at any point after that until we'd later asked the busboy to get our waiter to bring the check. He was around, because there were 3 tables around ours that he was also responsible for. He never asked how our food was, never refilled our drinks (which were empty when the food was brought to us), nothing. He simply ignored us for at least a half an hour. The food was very good, but the entire experience was disappointing.Special Features:
- Too loud for comfort!Dipsea99VIPDined on 10/13/2014The flavors of the small plates were delicious. Our eating pleasure was disturbed by two large and loud groups in the restaurant. The acoustics are poor and the place was just too loud to fully enjoy the superb food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food. Poor service.TrenchermanVIPDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent but it's quality had to overcome slow, inattentive service. Lack of animation, or even smiles on the faces of the staff led me to suspect poor morale. Still, when the food finally got there it was worth the wait.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South Shore Foodie Delight!Dipsea99VIPDined on 10/11/2014Exceptional food and flavors. Small plate tapas allowed for sampling wonderful mushrooms and cauliflower, tasty steamed buns and a delicious short ribs entree. Love the sangria cart that arrives at your table soon after you sit down!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef needs to be there.tonyDined on 10/9/2014This place is being raved about. The chef was not there. The food was okay. I would not recommend it. The restaurant ambiance was so so. The presentation on the shrimp was nice. Sangrias were good. Service was okay. There needs to be bigger pieces of octopus. The chef's team was probably not as good since he is away building another one. I give the restaurant a 3 out of 10
- Very welcomingDKDInerVIPDined on 10/7/2014We got lost due to our iPhones picking up the wrong address. Even though we were late and they were closing they kept our reservation and served us. Food and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great Food!MLutherVIPDined on 10/7/2014First off, the server we had was awesome and the food was incredible. I'll definitely be back next time I'm in Kauai. But per previous reviewers, while the service was attentive, we found it overwhelming. The staff were literally waiting beside us as we took food off the plates to take them away. It's a little awkward and uncomfortable. Plus some of the best parts of the dishes are the beautiful sauces and accompaniments that we would have loved to have enjoyed! Still a must in my books.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UltimatefoodieDined on 10/5/2014This is a gem of a restaurant in poipu. We had four tapas dishes and each one was superb. My husband wants to go back so he can have the pork belly since we were to full from all the other dishes to have it that night. Lovely upstairs restaurant, quite modern but also very charming and the wait staff is very knowledgable. The wood burning oven produced a wonderful mixed mushroom dish and the sashimi we had at the beginning of the meal was wonderful. Don't miss out on this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrJMVDined on 10/4/2014excellent food;excellent drinks;excellent service!Special Features:
- Wonderful foodWigglyWorldDined on 9/29/2014Fantastic tapas food. Highlight meal of entire holiday. Wonderful and unique menu offerings. Great mango sangria. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HowardDined on 9/27/2014Food was good, but extremely overpriced for what you get.Special Features:
- Fabulous meal with great service.SgenesVIPDined on 9/22/2014Came here based on a friends recommendation and wonder how we missed out dining at Josselin's before. Our waiter was very helpful in his explanation of various items and his suggestions all proved wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and deliciousdiningfoolVIPDined on 9/21/2014We shared quite a few plates. For tapas very generous. All visually appealing and very flavorful. Had read some mixed reviews on the 36 hour pork belly. We found it spot on. The food across the board was a winner. My only minus on the night was the over attentive bus staff. Kept trying to clear plates that were still being enjoyed. Had to tell them quite a few times we were still working. Waitress was great and kept a good pace. Would visit again.Special Features:
- mysandmanDined on 9/17/2014we are never dissapointed here. This time the waiter seemed to read our mind, and ordered the last serving of something for us, before we gave him our order. So glad he did. We will be back as often as possibleSpecial Features:
- disappointingluvtoeatVIPDined on 9/15/2014We have dined here over the years and will not return. We have seen this restaurant from its heyday with lines out the door to its continuing decline. This was the worst experience yet. the server was rude, their signature sangria was barely passable, some of the food was burned and the restaurant was stifling with no air flow.
- FlowerVIPDined on 9/12/2014Some tastey plates like shrimp tempura, pork steamed buns, Thai curry soup and sashimi but pricey at 2-3 plates per person.Special Features:
- Enjoyable food...view not so muchbizdinerDined on 9/10/2014We enjoyed a selection of Tapas for dinner, all tasted very good. Not perfect - octopus was a bit oily from frying, chicken was a bit dry - but mostly the flavors and taste was good. Service was acceptable (it is kauai after all) - attentive but not always around. Manager had to deal with a few issues on tables near ours a few times as waiter seemed to disappear at times. Biggest downside is the location. Windows are high up and offer no view. Room is non descript. experience would be much better if it was a more open feel. we would give it another shot, but would not be a must do on our next trip.Special Features:
- Very Good But Could Be BetterGandGVIPDined on 9/8/2014We have been coming here a couple times a year since it opened - always excited to see how Josselin's will reinterpret a dish or invent something magical. True to form the vegetable dishes were stunning. But when it came to the signature 36 hr pork belly, we were underwhelmed. It was almost tasteless & bordering on dry. Fortunately an order of very tiny sliders but excellent saved the day!! Will go back again because we know Josselin's can be so much better.Special Features:
- Amazing!AndreaDined on 9/8/2014Our dinner started with Lychee sangria that was made with beautiful fresh fruit tableside. From the deconstructed sushi to the lamb meatballs everything was delicious! The stuffed naan bread was unique and tasted great. This restaurant is a must if you are visiting Kauai!Special Features:
- Treat Your taste budstorchyVIPDined on 9/7/2014Shared 5 Tapas in sequence, one so good we ordered it twice ( Tempura Shrimp). Every dish delighted the taste buds. The presentations were unique and the flavors blended in ways that we never expected. Every dish had at least one delicious surprise. Made us wonder about some of the dishes we passed on as we thought the combinations a little unusual. Whoever develops these dishes knows how to combine ingredients - really knows! We will be back!Special Features:
- love it!cmtbDined on 9/5/2014every time i go I am never disappointed. love the food/selections and love the SANGRIA!Special Features:
- Tourist TrapCanadagrl736Dined on 9/4/2014Bad drinks and so so food. I would avoid this place and go to Puka Dog instead.
- Great find in Kauai!SoCalDadDined on 8/31/2014Very tasty, farm fresh, local flavors - tapas style. Enjoyed the meal immensely.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/31/2014We ordered the 36 Hours Braised Pork Belly, the pork was dry & fatty, definitely don't tasted like it had cooked for 36 hours. The Slow Cooked Butterfish we ordered was ok... nothing special. With the price of each dish, I expected more from this restaurant.
- SangriaCurtisDined on 8/30/2014We loved the table side sangria! Very tasty! They are a very nice touch. Our waitress was extremely informative.Special Features:
- Dont buy the hypejoepDined on 8/29/2014Don't buy the hype on this place, it is merely a place to grab a drink and shouldn't be called a tapas restaurant. Locals frequent here later at night and it is the only bar I have ever seen that masks as a dining establishment. Service is not friendly and staff really treats those who desire to dine there poorly. Easily the only place on the island I would recommend avoiding for a nice night out.Special Features:
- Great service & delicious tapas....BatteryParkBillVIPDined on 8/27/2014But the place is super loud. Not a spot for a romantic dinner. But other than that great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic restaurantswansonVIPDined on 8/24/2014Great food and service. We thoroughly enjoyed our dishes and had a wonderful time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really Great!meggiebDined on 8/22/2014The variety and the flavor of the food at Josselin's is amazing! We had the lamb meatballs, roasted garlic and a couple of other items that I can't recall, but I know they were terrific. The Naan is very filling and rich so plan on that if you order it. And, the service was the best. The tapas was served at an appropriate pace and the staff was very attentive, but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Great meal / Best Service in KauaiUnhappyVIPDined on 8/19/2014What a great find. The food was OUTSTANDING but most of all the SERVICE. Our server Ronald is one of best I have ever had. Has a passion for the food they serve. He really made the difference last night.Special Features:
- Great. great GratePeppyDined on 8/17/2014Love this place We go every time we are in Kauai. Great people . Can't wait until next time. Need this place in MalibuSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taste sensation(s)!flutemamaDined on 8/11/2014Wonderfully informative waitress + deliciously innovative food = fantastic dining experience for all 4 of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Dinner in KauaisquirrelDined on 8/11/2014We loved this place. The service was excellent; our waiter was extremely friendly and competent, the food was both fun and excellent, the sangria was great. A little expensive, but for a special night out (this was our date night with the kids getting watched by grandparents) or for someone who loves a great food experience (the dry-ice lemongrass infusion in the deconstructed ahi roll was interesting and delicious) its worth it.Special Features:
- Good veggie optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/7/2014Both me and my wife are vegetarian and we were totally satisfied with the selections. They let you minus bacon on some of the choices, the mushrooms were so delicious!! Kinda pricey for small plates but flavors were really impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.