300 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.josiesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127691212
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:45pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 3:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Louie Lanza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Josie's West provides off-premise catering for events of all sizes from 20-1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Josie's West provides a semi-private areas, for up to 50 guests.
A word from Josie's West
Friendly fun & fabulous for you, Josie's West serves the best in New American cuisine. An Upper West Side beacon featuring healthful & wholesome ingredients, this original neighborhood favorite delights in dishing up delicious lunch, dinner and brunch with an air of pep and spirit. With attention to detail and focus on satisfaction, Josie's excites and amuses all diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Josie's West reviews from OpenTable diners
141 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (77)great for lunch (43)fit for foodies (40)great for brunch (33)kid-friendly (27)good for groups (25)special occasion (10)late-night find (5)notable wine list (3)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Healthy and DeliciousmooseDined on 8/30/2014Josie's is my solid go-to spot in the neighborhood. Price is right, food is fresh, healthy and delicious. The coffee bread at brunch is really good, but the pumpkin spread in the evening is addicting. My favorite dish/appetizer is the potato and broccoli dumplings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!AnnaDined on 8/24/2014Came here for brunch with a group of 4 girls and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Healthy EatingHelloVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the main reasons we go to this fine restaurant is because they use beef and chicken from animals that have not been fed hormones and antibiotics and the food is tasty!
- Not pleased with service.NothappyDined on 8/23/2014The food was okay, but not pleased with service. Ordered drinks and appetizers. Didn't even get thru half of drinks when appetizers came. Then as we were still eating our appetizers, waiter brings main course which they proceeded to bring back to the kitchen. Busboy tried to remove our plates before we were finished with appetizers. We were in and out in 35 minutes which I find appauling. Waiter didn't ask if we wanted pepper. Only salt on tables which I don't understand. Waiter didn't even ask how our meal was. Will not go back. Very disappointed. Is this restaurant under new management? Have never had this experience before.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We went here because of its proximity to The Beacon and because it was recommended by a local wine distributor. We were not disappointed. The service was superb.Special Features:
- Really good wholesome food.goodeatsDined on 8/16/2014Nice friendly service, unfussy, great for lunch and pre show. Would recommend to friends. Good food at good pricesSpecial Features:
- A Quick BiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014We just came for a light meal before seeing a show. The waiter was very pleasant attentive and helpful. My friend is a vegetarian and was pleased with what she ordered. I enjoyed my butternut squash soup and shrimp appetizer. We plan to return for a leisurely full course dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good vegetarian choicesavocadoDined on 8/13/2014Lots of healthful / veggie options, tastefully prepared. They couldn't have been more gracious about letting us occupy a table for 40 minutes till our friend arrived.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies with Kids who are grateful!LcedarpointVIPDined on 8/9/2014Ex upper west siders who brought our 3 kids in for bway show (ages 12-5) and then Cpark. We needed GREAT food & wine at a place that would allow our kids to be kids & for us to detox respectfully. Josie's fit the bill. Food came quickly to satisfy kids. Silver oak & Far Nente came quickly to satisfy the adults. As the kids sipped on Shirley Temples (w lids.. Thanks) & penne pasta w cheese. We made it through the menu..Black bean goat cheese dumplings (stealing idea for our cafe up north), tuna burger, steak special, unfried rice, broccoli dumplings. So glad we over ordered so we could get all the signature favors. Cudos to Josie's staff for not blinking at an eclectic table like ours. Other diners noted our joie! See ya soon!Special Features:
- Wonderful mealfancydancerDined on 8/8/2014Food was great. Service was perfect. Made for a delightful evening wth old friends. We sat forever, no one pressured us. From start to finish a great experience. Would certainly return to try other options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josie's WestloverealfoodDined on 8/6/2014Bland tasting food. Disappointing vegetarian. Such a good write up, such a let down.Special Features:
- DisappointingGoodfoodlousyservioeVIPDined on 8/2/2014I hadn't eaten here in a while. The place wasn't very full, yet getting a waitperson was very difficult. Also, it's their policy to not bring bread until you've ordered, but they immediately put down the spread for the bread. Bad news if you're hungry. It's such a tease. Because we didn't have a lot if time, we asked if the one appetizer and two entrees could be brought out all together. "Of course" they answered. But, we were served the appetizer separately. The wait staff seemed more intent on socializing or restocking glasses at the bar then servicing the two tables they each seemed to have.
- Great pasta dinnerfabrDined on 7/29/2014We were impressed with our waiter, the service being outstanding. My wife and I had a pasta dinner which we enjoyed very much
- NearNeighborDined on 7/25/2014Josie's has been around for a long time and remains delightful. The food is always fresh and delicious, and the service friendly and attentive, even when the restaurant is crowded (which it wasn't on my most recent visit, for an early dinner). The tuna burger cooked to order, the squash ravioli, the seared tofu served with heaps of veggies (raw and roasted), and the squash soup are perennial favorites. The only sour note is minor: Josie's practice of serving one slice of bread at a time has always struck me as unnecessarily elaborate, restrictive, and silly - though I'll grant that it helps me limit my carb intake! Maybe someday they'll find a gentler way to do this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josies WestDeliciousDined on 7/24/2014We come to Josies often for their wonderful macadamia crusted chicken salad. It is absolutely delicious! The staff is courteous, the atmosphere upbeat and friendly. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014I enjoyed the seared tofu salad. Lots of flavorful veggies that were presented beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeanniversary36Dined on 7/23/2014Josie's West had good food, lovely smiling and friendly server and a nice atmosphere. My daughter frequently eats there and had picked it out to celebrate a special occasion. We would definitely return! We recommend it!Special Features:
- ReliableJudyVIPDined on 7/22/2014You can never go wrong meeting friends for dinner at Josie's. There is something for everyone on the menu and the special fish dishes always are superb. Homemade bread with spread is always a delicious start to any meal. Sit in the front room by the window to get out of the pre-Beacon Theater hubbub in the main dining area.Special Features:
- If it weren't for the nice waiter..PTalentiVIPDined on 7/16/2014I would have given this place an overall 1 star. The food was genuinely awful, a turkey meatloaf that had the consistency and flavor of whole-grained toast with a side sauce that seemed to have come straight out of a jar. My friend had buttersquash ravioli that came in a generic broth and overall had no flavor. I picked this place last minute because of the good OpenTable reviews, which honestly makes me reevaluate whether I'll ever rely on the app again. I was embarrassed to have chosen this place. On the positive side, the ambiance is fine enough and the waiter, though neither my friend nor I could understand his English, was very nice.
- Great Prix Fixe..DrRoyVIPDined on 7/13/2014The $30 prix fixe is a great deal with many choices of appetizer, entree, and dessert.Special Features:
- Great healthy foodPurpleGirlDined on 7/11/2014Josie's is a great place for vegetarians and non vegetarians. We went with a large group and there was something that appealed to everyone. I love the healthy options and the complimentary sweet potato puree and bread is super yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Very good food; very good service. very convenient if you are going to the Beacon Theatre.Special Features:
- Used to be betterdiscerningfoodieDined on 7/7/2014Josie's used to be one of my favorite restaurants but I was deeply disappointed this time. The restaurant was one of the few places that served healthy food that wasn't boring. This time the food was boring and bland. The calamari were fresh and had the perfect soft, not chewy, texture but they lacked any discernible flavor. The stirfry with tofu was similarly bland. I did eat there on a Monday night and it is possible that the B team was in the kitchen and the food would be better on other days. I was please with the service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features:
- Very good mealDearanijVIPDined on 7/7/2014We found Josie's while looking for a place to have dinner before a show at the Beacon Theater. We were very pleasantly surprised that this restaurant is just next door and offers all natural and organic food. The place isn't fancy but the food was prepared beautifully and tasted just as good. I had the special dinner of skirt steak over salad. It was excellent. We will definitely be back when we are in this neighborhoodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ImafoodieVIPDined on 7/6/2014I love their crusted tuna but, this time, got in in the salad. It was good and the tuna was fresh but I forgot that the tuna would be cold. I prefer it warm to hot, even though it is cooked rare. My friend had the chicken teriyaki plate. She has a big appetite but was full and couldn't eat the whole thing. I love their grain bread but shouldn't have eaten as much as I did. All in all, it was a good meal. I go there whenever I'm in that neighborhood. I miss the one that was on the East side before the 2nd Avenue subway construction started.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatmsmaggieDined on 7/5/2014Josie's is reliable, delicious healthy food. appealing atmosphere, attentive staff, good prices for high quality. i go whenever im on the West side.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice findAleneDined on 7/5/2014It is always sweet to find a Manhattan restaurant that has a menu that is creative and tasty to one's palette and affordable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, small portionsdiningwithkidsVIPDined on 7/5/2014They had a kid menu, but the kid portion sizes are small. Kids ordered pasta and chicken fingers, the latter of which was overcooked and not very flavorful. The adult meals were pretty good. It was nice to know the ingredients are all fresh and wholesome. This is a restaurant on our back up list for returning.Special Features:
- josie's - in a rushdandbinnycDined on 7/4/2014We were trying to squeeze in a good meal between Holiday events on July 4th, and Josie's was perfect. Delicious healthy food, and our waiter got us in and out quickly without making us feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative and delicious dinnerHelenVIPDined on 6/28/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Josie's very much. The food was delicious, with very innovative sauces and use of vegetables and fruits. The service was quick and attentive.Special Features:
- good and healthyuwsanneDined on 6/26/2014I like the menu selection tho i wish they had more specials. Comfortable and comfortable noise level. you can actually have a conversation though it was full. Good wine.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently SuperbPinettoVIPDined on 6/25/2014The food and service at Josie's always ranks highly with us and this restaurant visit did not disappoint.Special Features:
- Not really worth it!Mousemom3Dined on 6/22/2014Although conveniently located near Beacon Theater, the interior seemed diner-like and the menu while having decent choices ... The food was not even diner quality ... Bland without and flavoring or what you would expect eating in NYC. Best part focaccia bread. Should have went to Hummus Place across the street instead !
- EhFoodmanDined on 6/21/2014Nice place and I'm sure others may like it. My food -- the grilled chicken -- was just very bland / bad tasting.
- Great Vegetarian Option!Namaste1974Dined on 6/21/2014I went to a show at The Beacon Theater on my own and was looking for a Vegetarian Option given that I primarily prefer Vegetarian Options. The menu is diverse to make both vegan/vegetarians and meat eaters options as well. The added convenience it's right around the corner from The Beacon Theater. Make sure to make reservations because it appears to be a popular spot. My only critique is that I ordered wine and it was a small glass, in the future I will probably order a cocktail.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Went for Sunday brunch and were the only ones there. It was delicious with lots of menu options. We had the organic blueberry pancakes and southwest burrito. We definitely left full and happy. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FavoriteDined on 6/18/2014Our "foodie" nieces, visiting from England, loved it. It's consistently on target with good veggie options(one of them is veggie) as well as fabulous choices for the rest of us.Special Features:
- A great Father's Day experienceYumolaDined on 6/15/2014Though I often have 1 million things to do, I really wanted to make room in my schedule to praise Josie's restaurant for a wonderful Father's Day experience! We opted for the prix fixe and each one of the three of us, my friend, his daughter, and I, were delighted and completely satisfied with our food choices. I had the filet mignon and it was perfection! My friend loved his pork chops, and his daughter, her salad. I had to taste of my friend's squash soup and it was amazing! We shared an excellent red wine and all opted for the ice cream pie with graham cracker crust. Yummy! We must go back there more often! And to boot, it didn't break the bank!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJStanleyDined on 6/15/2014Delicious. Had a marvelous time. Our servers were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, healthy foodDugganDined on 6/12/2014Josie's is perfect for us neighborhood vegetarians and pescatarians, and it's a place where meat-eaters seem pretty happy, too. I was last there pre-concert on Thursday and had perfect, sushi-grade, beautiful tuna in a salad. Presentation lovely. Salad got boring, tuna not. My friend tried the all-natural turkey meatballs with angel hair pasta. Though it was a huge entree, she said it was only so-so. There is also a butternut squash pasta dish that is fabulous. I'll be back, every hopeful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.