300 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.josiesnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 769-1212
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:45pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 3:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Louie Lanza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Josie's West provides off-premise catering for events of all sizes from 20-1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Josie's West provides a semi-private areas, for up to 50 guests.
A word from Josie's West
Friendly fun & fabulous for you, Josie's West serves the best in New American cuisine. An Upper West Side beacon featuring healthful & wholesome ingredients, this original neighborhood favorite delights in dishing up delicious lunch, dinner and brunch with an air of pep and spirit. With attention to detail and focus on satisfaction, Josie's excites and amuses all diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Josie's West reviews from OpenTable diners
139 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (74)fit for foodies (48)great for lunch (39)great for brunch (34)good for groups (33)kid-friendly (29)special occasion (10)notable wine list (9)late-night find (5)hot spot (3)romantic (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great organic food. Has vegan optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/26/2014The food was interesting, creative and fresh. Nice place for vegan food choices. The butternut squash soup was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good organic vegetarian- & carnivore-friendlyShelbyDined on 11/22/2014Great place to take people with varying diets--we're vegetarian and our dinner companion is not. The veggie meatloaf is quite good as was the squash soup and our friend enjoyed the salmon special. Veggie sides are surprisingly unimaginative--the only green veg is "greens"--my entree was accompanied only by a big boring pile of unseasoned bok choy. The service was OK, though it took 3 requests to get the bread basket our way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kateDined on 11/22/2014Great brunch -- I had the veggie omelette and a terrific bloody mary. The benedicts that my friends ordered also looked quite good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spotty service, excellent foodFeedMeDined on 11/16/2014While the food was excellent (still miss some items that have disappeared from the menu, though) the service was spotty. It's not that the servers were not friendly - they were, someone was always refilling my water glass, but requests were unfulfilled on several occasions (during this meal) and several orders were delivered incorrectly to the table and had to be returned and corrected. That said, when the correct dishes did arrive they were very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice to please most palatesRubyChewsdayDined on 11/16/2014We were impressed that the waiter noticed how loud the music was in our area before we even had to mention it, and he turned it down right away so we could talk more easily. This is rare and wonderful. The salmon we ordered was cooked to order, superbly, and well seasoned on a bed of nice greens. There is something for every fussy eater on their menu and it's always delicious and well presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Healthy foodEtjsingerVIPDined on 11/16/2014Josie's had a very healthy menu- the restaurant clientele reflected this as most were in workout clothes and had just come from the gym. The food was tasty- nothing amazing, but not bad, and the service was ok. Nothing incredible, but a good place for a healthy meal that's not too expensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for you + your vegan significant otherswieckiDined on 11/15/2014I eat meat and dairy but my girlfriend is vegan, and this is one of our favorite places to go. They have a nice selection of great food for both of us. Our only wish is that they carried cheaper hard cider :) Awesome for ordering breakfast as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- super-fresh and right-on!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014satisfying portions, super-tasty and when we ordered medium-rare salmon and filet mignon….guess what? it was cooked perfectly to order!!!!!!! eureka!!!!!!!!! lovely atmosphere and attentive service. warm neighborhood atmosphere, but still feels like a special night out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/14/2014There were a ton of vegetarian options as well as great meat dishes. I had the butternut squash ravioli and my friend had the filt mignon. Both were delicious. All the flavors were fresh and interesting and no one batted an eye when I asked for the bread guy to come around multiple times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RandigVIPDined on 11/9/2014Terrible Pinot noir!!!! I don't think we will ever order wine again. Our server was great, and I appreciated him letting us know what was gluten free on the menu.Special Features:
- food was bland bland blandsammicatVIPDined on 11/9/2014we hadn't been here for awhile, and once we started eating, we remembered why - nothing had flavor! The coffee cake they bring instead of bread, the butternut squash soup, the chicken salad, even the breakfast burrito... all tasteless and disappointing : ( Our waiter was great, & very nice atmosphere, and I'd love to say we loved it, but we didn't & probably won't go back. Josie's - please add flavor - healthy doesn't have to be boring!
- A Beacon at the Beaconjoey1958Dined on 11/8/2014We were attending a NYCF show and having a gem like Josie's right around the corner made the pre-show meal stress free and the food made it memorable. Organic fare from apps to dessert and coffee was wonderful & beautifully presented by the friendly staff. Would definitely return when venturing to the UWS.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time at this restuarant.FoodmavenVIPDined on 11/8/2014Had the special which was Rib Eye and it was very tender and cooked perfectly. Dumpling appetizer was great as was the servcice. The menu in general was very interesting. I would definitely return to this restaurant.Special Features:
- elliott kivellELLIOTTVIPDined on 11/7/2014I have been there many times and is never fails. It's always consistent and reasonably pricedSpecial Features:
- Wonderful dining experience!SteveDined on 11/7/2014Our family went to josie wests after the museum of natural history. Excellent!!! My daughter is a vegaterian and she loved the vegaterian meatloaf. The salmon was delicious and the butternut squash soup was awesome! The service couldn't have been better. Out table was by the window and had a great view of nyc street which was fun. Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/5/2014Josie's is a place we return to often, especially with out of town guests. Always good food and service. Everything from comfort food to speciality dishes, all prepared with great care. One of my favorite neighborhood restaurants, even though I no longer live on the UWS. Coming here feels like home.Special Features:
- Josie's upper west sidewestsiderDined on 11/4/2014Star rating based on its category of neighborhood, moderate prices. obviously not the four stars in the culinary universe. Menu broad and appealing: contemporary American with other influences here and there, well prepared. Good wine, excellent service, ambiance quiet and serene in spite of the fact that there were a few small kids there. Not strictly a vegetarian restaurant but good choices if you are. Two fish dishes and one tofu dish equally fresh, tasty and thoughtful. Desserts are the weakest, not terrible, but not worth the calorie splurge.Special Features:
- LOVE THIS PLACE!!!JosiesDined on 11/3/2014I LOVE Josie's because of the enormous amount of healthy option on the menu. It's not cheap and I can only go on a special occasion, but it is well worth the dairy free butternut squash soup!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Didn't accept my rez on OpenTableACastilDined on 11/3/2014I went.showed up on time and even early.there was a long line ahead of me (let out from a show next door at the Beacon Theatre) and they didn't ackowledge my reservation and even told me I would have to wait 30-45min..I was there on business (not a show) and so very embarrassing to a customer. I thought this would be good because my customer is a vegetarian.......doesn't help if you can't get in even with a reservation!Special Features:
- Great Spot for Picky GuestsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/31/2014We live in the neighborhood and chose Josie's for a group (party of 5) because our guests are natural, healthy food fanatics and at the same time enjoy a glass of good wine. Our guests raved about the quality of the fresh meats and fish, and the service so friendly and patient. All this and pomegranate Cosmos - the bar was also accommodating, making mine with gin instead of vodka as requested. The food here is always fresh and good. Portions are substantial. Recommend: Turkey meatballs, the salmon, meatloaf, half chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemTumbleweedDined on 10/27/2014Diverse menu with a focus on organic ingredients. Very energetic atmosphere - almost too noisy. Reasonably priced. Outstanding service all around.Special Features:
- ReliableImpressionsDined on 10/24/2014You always know what you will get here - good food and service. Can get a little noisey but you can still hear!Special Features:
- End of an EraOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2014Hadn't been there in years, used to be quite the spot, but with this recent experience I will not return. Food was substandard in prep and service. Feels the place is in a general slump these days.
- lunchPinettoVIPDined on 10/23/2014As usual the food and service were outstanding . I always recommend Josie's.Special Features:
- Excellent as usualELLIOTTVIPDined on 10/20/2014It never disappoints. The food is terrific and the wine list is extensiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great neighborhood placeJessDined on 10/19/2014food yummy drinks yummy service friendly but a bit slower than necessarySpecial Features:
- One of our favorites!YumIVIPDined on 10/18/2014A great gem of a place, serving good healthy food in large quantities for a reasonable price. That's a difficult find in New York, much less the Upper West Side.Special Features:
- A Good Place for Healthy FoodHelloVIPDined on 10/12/2014We eat here because the meat is without hormones and antibiotics and the vegetables are raised without the use of pesticides, Also, the food tastes good.
- Healthy and GourmetearthsoulwomanDined on 10/8/2014I bring so many people here with mixed groups. I am a total organic health food person but know people with parents or other relatives of mine that like good traditional food, or gourmet, but NOT health food. They are able to find items on the Josie menu that they love as well as my preferences for vegetarian organic and fresh juices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring the FamilyJupiter001Dined on 10/3/2014While the food is very upscale, the variety is great. We had a five year old and a 72 year old in our party of seven and everyone was thrilled with their meal. The vegetarians and the carnivores were equally happy and the dessert - we came back later for a second round!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service but food was poorTurtleBayBritDined on 10/1/2014My husband ordered the tuna burger which was so salty he couldn't eat it, and which came with home fries that were undercooked and hard. I had the veggie burger, which was completely tasteless, and came with a side salad which had a dressing that was also tasteless. Very disappointing.
- Food was just OKJohnnyPDined on 10/1/2014There aren't a lot of good restaurants close to the Beacon Theater. I was told that Josie's is one of the few. Although the service was good and the cocktails were mixed just right, the food was just Ok, mostly because of a lack of imagination (nondescript dressing on the salad) and food quality (seared tuna wasn't really up to snuff). It's OK if you're in the area and going to a show. Otherwise, it's not worth the detour.
- Healthy tasteful food !Sunshine3Dined on 9/26/2014My 7 year old son enjoyed the veggie burger- he was able to eat the bun since it had no dairy, eggs or nuts. I had a calamari salad that was healthy and fresh. My wife had a green salad that she thoroughly enjoyed. The staff was helpful and accomadating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and deliciousteevozDined on 9/25/2014Had a lovely dinner here - the food is well-prepared, organic, farm-to-table style, and delicious. They were very accommodating to some dietary restrictions - made adjustments to all of our needs. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Consistently good food and servicegoodeatsDined on 9/22/2014We've been going to Josie's for years. The food is healthful and delicious, and the service is friendly and efficient. We love the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and consistent!Alfiesprout11Dined on 9/21/2014I love going to Josie's - this was only the second time I went for brunch (got the breakfast burrito last time and the tofu scramble this time) - the food is always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysBirkinDined on 9/19/2014I always enjoy my meals at Josie's. One of my haunts. Three of us sat in the back in a private space that was wonderful.Special Features:
- alilDined on 9/19/2014great starters and desserts--interesting soups, potstickers and pies
- Great FoodKatieVIPDined on 9/11/2014It was fantastic food and great service. My entire family loved it!!Special Features:
- Rating isn't reflective of the foodFoodies1990Dined on 9/3/2014My introduction to the restaurant was a FILTHY bathroom. If the lavatories are allowed to be disgusting, what's going on in the kitchen? The menus were also not clean. I was a guest, so I stayed, and lo and behold, the meal was really good. A glass of wine was a generous pour, and the wait staff was very pleasant. Someone needs to pay attention to the details in that restaurant: scrubbing the lavs, menus and tables would be a great start - until then, I won't return.