300 Amsterdam Avenue
New York, NY 10023Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.josiesnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127691212
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm; Brunch: Saturday: 11:00am - 3:45pm, Sunday: 10:30am - 3:45pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Louie Lanza
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Josie's West provides off-premise catering for events of all sizes from 20-1000 guests.
- Private Party Facilities: Josie's West provides a semi-private areas, for up to 50 guests.
A word from Josie's West
Friendly fun & fabulous for you, Josie's West serves the best in New American cuisine. An Upper West Side beacon featuring healthful & wholesome ingredients, this original neighborhood favorite delights in dishing up delicious lunch, dinner and brunch with an air of pep and spirit. With attention to detail and focus on satisfaction, Josie's excites and amuses all diners.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Josie's West reviews from OpenTable diners
118 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (62)fit for foodies (38)great for lunch (30)kid-friendly (24)great for brunch (22)good for groups (18)special occasion (9)notable wine list (4)romantic (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- great neighborhood placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/19/2014food yummy drinks yummy service friendly but a bit slower than necessarySpecial Features:
- A Good Place for Healthy FoodHelloVIPDined on 10/12/2014We eat here because the meat is without hormones and antibiotics and the vegetables are raised without the use of pesticides, Also, the food tastes good.
- Healthy and GourmetearthsoulwomanDined on 10/8/2014I bring so many people here with mixed groups. I am a total organic health food person but know people with parents or other relatives of mine that like good traditional food, or gourmet, but NOT health food. They are able to find items on the Josie menu that they love as well as my preferences for vegetarian organic and fresh juices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bring the FamilyJupiter001Dined on 10/3/2014While the food is very upscale, the variety is great. We had a five year old and a 72 year old in our party of seven and everyone was thrilled with their meal. The vegetarians and the carnivores were equally happy and the dessert - we came back later for a second round!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service but food was poorTurtleBayBritDined on 10/1/2014My husband ordered the tuna burger which was so salty he couldn't eat it, and which came with home fries that were undercooked and hard. I had the veggie burger, which was completely tasteless, and came with a side salad which had a dressing that was also tasteless. Very disappointing.
- Food was just OKJohnnyPDined on 10/1/2014There aren't a lot of good restaurants close to the Beacon Theater. I was told that Josie's is one of the few. Although the service was good and the cocktails were mixed just right, the food was just Ok, mostly because of a lack of imagination (nondescript dressing on the salad) and food quality (seared tuna wasn't really up to snuff). It's OK if you're in the area and going to a show. Otherwise, it's not worth the detour.
- Healthy tasteful food !Sunshine3Dined on 9/26/2014My 7 year old son enjoyed the veggie burger- he was able to eat the bun since it had no dairy, eggs or nuts. I had a calamari salad that was healthy and fresh. My wife had a green salad that she thoroughly enjoyed. The staff was helpful and accomadating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and deliciousteevozDined on 9/25/2014Had a lovely dinner here - the food is well-prepared, organic, farm-to-table style, and delicious. They were very accommodating to some dietary restrictions - made adjustments to all of our needs. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- Consistently good food and servicegoodeatsDined on 9/22/2014We've been going to Josie's for years. The food is healthful and delicious, and the service is friendly and efficient. We love the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and consistent!Alfiesprout11Dined on 9/21/2014I love going to Josie's - this was only the second time I went for brunch (got the breakfast burrito last time and the tofu scramble this time) - the food is always delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysBirkinDined on 9/19/2014I always enjoy my meals at Josie's. One of my haunts. Three of us sat in the back in a private space that was wonderful.Special Features:
- alilDined on 9/19/2014great starters and desserts--interesting soups, potstickers and pies
- Great FoodKatieVIPDined on 9/11/2014It was fantastic food and great service. My entire family loved it!!Special Features:
- Rating isn't reflective of the foodFoodies1990Dined on 9/3/2014My introduction to the restaurant was a FILTHY bathroom. If the lavatories are allowed to be disgusting, what's going on in the kitchen? The menus were also not clean. I was a guest, so I stayed, and lo and behold, the meal was really good. A glass of wine was a generous pour, and the wait staff was very pleasant. Someone needs to pay attention to the details in that restaurant: scrubbing the lavs, menus and tables would be a great start - until then, I won't return.
- Healthy and DeliciousmooseDined on 8/30/2014Josie's is my solid go-to spot in the neighborhood. Price is right, food is fresh, healthy and delicious. The coffee bread at brunch is really good, but the pumpkin spread in the evening is addicting. My favorite dish/appetizer is the potato and broccoli dumplings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great JointOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Love the tasty, healthy menu and the lovely vibe at the bar. Terrific mojitos & black bean dumplings. table service is always lovely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!AnnaDined on 8/24/2014Came here for brunch with a group of 4 girls and it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Healthy EatingHelloVIPDined on 8/23/2014One of the main reasons we go to this fine restaurant is because they use beef and chicken from animals that have not been fed hormones and antibiotics and the food is tasty!
- Not pleased with service.NothappyDined on 8/23/2014The food was okay, but not pleased with service. Ordered drinks and appetizers. Didn't even get thru half of drinks when appetizers came. Then as we were still eating our appetizers, waiter brings main course which they proceeded to bring back to the kitchen. Busboy tried to remove our plates before we were finished with appetizers. We were in and out in 35 minutes which I find appauling. Waiter didn't ask if we wanted pepper. Only salt on tables which I don't understand. Waiter didn't even ask how our meal was. Will not go back. Very disappointed. Is this restaurant under new management? Have never had this experience before.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014We went here because of its proximity to The Beacon and because it was recommended by a local wine distributor. We were not disappointed. The service was superb.Special Features:
- Second Time AroundvisualgirlDined on 8/23/2014The first time I went to Josie's West was before a show at the Beacon with three girlfriends and we had a great time. The food and drinks were excellent. This time I went back with my husband before a show at the Beacon, tried different food and drinks off the menu and it was again delicious. I had the turkey meatloaf, which was a tad dry but extremely flavorful. I would get it again but ask for extra gravy on the side. My husband had one of the specials, which was a steak and he loved it. Josie's West has now turned into my go to spot for a meal before a concert around the corner.Special Features:
- One of the greatsAshmoDined on 8/20/2014Love thus place! Great Gluten free options and friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Really good wholesome food.goodeatsDined on 8/16/2014Nice friendly service, unfussy, great for lunch and pre show. Would recommend to friends. Good food at good pricesSpecial Features:
- A Quick BiteOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014We just came for a light meal before seeing a show. The waiter was very pleasant attentive and helpful. My friend is a vegetarian and was pleased with what she ordered. I enjoyed my butternut squash soup and shrimp appetizer. We plan to return for a leisurely full course dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good vegetarian choicesavocadoDined on 8/13/2014Lots of healthful / veggie options, tastefully prepared. They couldn't have been more gracious about letting us occupy a table for 40 minutes till our friend arrived.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies with Kids who are grateful!LcedarpointVIPDined on 8/9/2014Ex upper west siders who brought our 3 kids in for bway show (ages 12-5) and then Cpark. We needed GREAT food & wine at a place that would allow our kids to be kids & for us to detox respectfully. Josie's fit the bill. Food came quickly to satisfy kids. Silver oak & Far Nente came quickly to satisfy the adults. As the kids sipped on Shirley Temples (w lids.. Thanks) & penne pasta w cheese. We made it through the menu..Black bean goat cheese dumplings (stealing idea for our cafe up north), tuna burger, steak special, unfried rice, broccoli dumplings. So glad we over ordered so we could get all the signature favors. Cudos to Josie's staff for not blinking at an eclectic table like ours. Other diners noted our joie! See ya soon!Special Features:
- Wonderful mealfancydancerDined on 8/8/2014Food was great. Service was perfect. Made for a delightful evening wth old friends. We sat forever, no one pressured us. From start to finish a great experience. Would certainly return to try other options on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josie's WestloverealfoodDined on 8/6/2014Bland tasting food. Disappointing vegetarian. Such a good write up, such a let down.Special Features:
- DisappointingGoodfoodlousyservioeVIPDined on 8/2/2014I hadn't eaten here in a while. The place wasn't very full, yet getting a waitperson was very difficult. Also, it's their policy to not bring bread until you've ordered, but they immediately put down the spread for the bread. Bad news if you're hungry. It's such a tease. Because we didn't have a lot if time, we asked if the one appetizer and two entrees could be brought out all together. "Of course" they answered. But, we were served the appetizer separately. The wait staff seemed more intent on socializing or restocking glasses at the bar then servicing the two tables they each seemed to have.
- Great pasta dinnerfabrDined on 7/29/2014We were impressed with our waiter, the service being outstanding. My wife and I had a pasta dinner which we enjoyed very much
- NearNeighborDined on 7/25/2014Josie's has been around for a long time and remains delightful. The food is always fresh and delicious, and the service friendly and attentive, even when the restaurant is crowded (which it wasn't on my most recent visit, for an early dinner). The tuna burger cooked to order, the squash ravioli, the seared tofu served with heaps of veggies (raw and roasted), and the squash soup are perennial favorites. The only sour note is minor: Josie's practice of serving one slice of bread at a time has always struck me as unnecessarily elaborate, restrictive, and silly - though I'll grant that it helps me limit my carb intake! Maybe someday they'll find a gentler way to do this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josies WestDeliciousDined on 7/24/2014We come to Josies often for their wonderful macadamia crusted chicken salad. It is absolutely delicious! The staff is courteous, the atmosphere upbeat and friendly. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegetarian yum!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014I enjoyed the seared tofu salad. Lots of flavorful veggies that were presented beautifully.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeanniversary36Dined on 7/23/2014Josie's West had good food, lovely smiling and friendly server and a nice atmosphere. My daughter frequently eats there and had picked it out to celebrate a special occasion. We would definitely return! We recommend it!Special Features:
- ReliableJudyVIPDined on 7/22/2014You can never go wrong meeting friends for dinner at Josie's. There is something for everyone on the menu and the special fish dishes always are superb. Homemade bread with spread is always a delicious start to any meal. Sit in the front room by the window to get out of the pre-Beacon Theater hubbub in the main dining area.Special Features:
- If it weren't for the nice waiter..PTalentiVIPDined on 7/16/2014I would have given this place an overall 1 star. The food was genuinely awful, a turkey meatloaf that had the consistency and flavor of whole-grained toast with a side sauce that seemed to have come straight out of a jar. My friend had buttersquash ravioli that came in a generic broth and overall had no flavor. I picked this place last minute because of the good OpenTable reviews, which honestly makes me reevaluate whether I'll ever rely on the app again. I was embarrassed to have chosen this place. On the positive side, the ambiance is fine enough and the waiter, though neither my friend nor I could understand his English, was very nice.
- Great Prix Fixe..DrRoyVIPDined on 7/13/2014The $30 prix fixe is a great deal with many choices of appetizer, entree, and dessert.Special Features:
- Great healthy foodPurpleGirlDined on 7/11/2014Josie's is a great place for vegetarians and non vegetarians. We went with a large group and there was something that appealed to everyone. I love the healthy options and the complimentary sweet potato puree and bread is super yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/11/2014Very good food; very good service. very convenient if you are going to the Beacon Theatre.Special Features:
- Used to be betterdiscerningfoodieDined on 7/7/2014Josie's used to be one of my favorite restaurants but I was deeply disappointed this time. The restaurant was one of the few places that served healthy food that wasn't boring. This time the food was boring and bland. The calamari were fresh and had the perfect soft, not chewy, texture but they lacked any discernible flavor. The stirfry with tofu was similarly bland. I did eat there on a Monday night and it is possible that the B team was in the kitchen and the food would be better on other days. I was please with the service was attentive but not overbearing.Special Features: