2424 Pico Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA 90405Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josierestaurant.com/
- Phone: 3105819888
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 6:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 6:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday 5:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Josie Le Balch
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Josie Restaurant is available for in-house parties as well as extensive off-site catering. Please call us or visit our website for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: Josie's Fireplace Room accommodates private parties of up to 35 guests. The entire restaurant is also available for parties of up to 85 guests. Please contact us if you'd like more information.
- Private Party Contact: David Osenbach 8669434065
- Special Events: Josie Restaurant offers a three-course $35 prix-fixe menu every Wednesday evening featuring seasonal cuisine from our local Santa Monica Farmer's Market. Also, Monday nights are No-Corkage nights where corkage is waived for up to 2 bottles per table.
A word from Josie
Just off the beaten path is where you will find Chef Josie Le Balch's self-titled Progressive American eatery. By lending her French culinary heritage, her Italian expertise and her love of simple, natural foods, Chef Le Balch has created a masterly merger of tastes and textures that is sure to surprise and delight. The interplay of the rustic and the refined is evident in every room. From the sand-blasted wooden ceiling beams and the modern skylight to the handcrafted stone hearth and the tailored lines of the furnishings, the ambience is a mixture of old country warmth and clean, contemporary sophistication... a perfect palette for Le Balch's imaginative menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Josie reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (35)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (32)romantic (30)notable wine list (9)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)kid-friendly (1)great for lunch (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- If you really want to talk...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/19/2014Josie is a great place to have a quiet dinner. Good, fresh food. Attentive wait staff. And NO blaring tech to compete with, just soft barely audible background music. This is a place for adults who appreciate good food and the company they are with. The food is equally subtle. Farmers-market fresh. Delicious appetizers. A good range of choices for meat-eaters and vegans alike. All in all, one of the most pleasant evening's we've had in a long, long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderstatedASquaredDined on 10/17/2014How can dishes be simple and sophisticated at the same time? They are here. The seasonal ravioli was more than just the usual. The chicken was moist and surrounded by flavor. A grown up restaurant for grownups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great to be back!rebeccadruDined on 10/17/2014Haven't been to Josie for a few years...OMG DELICIOUS!!!! Not waiting that long ever again!!!Special Features:
- Josie is TopsDineNwineDined on 10/14/2014Great food, inventive preparations, equal to or better than the best restaurants in LA, with very nice acoustics!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely date night restaurantLAmamaDined on 10/7/2014My husband and I enjoyed a lovely date night at Josie. The service was wonderful. The food was even better. We had trouble deciding what to order because it all looked so incredible. I was impressed with the wine selection too. It was so relaxing to sit in this gorgeous, traditional room and be able to hear each other talk. I recommend the steak. Can't go wrong with the chocolate bread pudding either. It was all delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LarryVIPDined on 10/5/2014I will keep this short -- It has and always will be at the top of our list of special restaurants.Special Features:
- Never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/14/2014The menus is not extensive but their dishes are very,very good. Our table ordered a tagine, a ravioli, a steak, and a fish. Each was superb. The room is comfortable and the service friendly and efficient. The dining experience delights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West LA GemHoneslty18Dined on 9/12/2014Josie is a great restaurant. The menu is excellent, food perfect, so many flavors and always consistent. To top off the perfect tastes the service is top notch. A very comfortable welcoming designed environment. A cannot miss dinner.Special Features:
- SuperbasusualDined on 9/4/2014A wonderful meal. Every item was superb, appetizers, main courses, and dessert. We do not go there often enough.Special Features:
- Excellent! Excellent! Excellent!LoveItaliaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Once again, a lovely evening in a beautiful space, excellent fresh food, lamb tagine amazing, blueberry crostata amazing, New York steak amazing, service attentive and enjoyable. We really need to dine here more often. Josie is consistently superb.Special Features:
- HaleyDined on 8/13/2014Amazing attention to detail in everything prepared-very fresh! Be sure to have dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good, service very indifferentOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/2/2014Starter was Ok, Main course was very good, and the Desserts outstanding, but the service was offhand to say the least. At the end of the meal we were given the wrong check (one that was considerably smaller than our correct one) - when I pointed this out to the waiter I got neither an apology nor a 'Thank you' for saving him what would have been considerable embarrassment.
- Josie's RestaurantCharlieWDined on 7/25/2014Nice little neighborhood restaurant and great food. We had the Dine LA specials. I had the whole trout and my husband had the short rib. Both were very good and well seasoned. We had the wine pairing with the different courses, which was very nice. We would return to this restaurant again.Special Features:
- Hated itMirandaDined on 7/25/2014I was excited to eat at Josie's with the reputation that preceded her. James beard, top chef, write ups, I don't know if they are talking about this restaurant, this place does not fit the hype. Good thing we went for dine LA because if I paid more, I'd be steaming. I spent 100 w wine pairing. The croquette appetizer was mash potato fried with no dressing leaves on the side, really. The short ribs was on top of mash potato , probably the same one they used for the croquettes, and I think some veg, can't remember , thats how much I want to forget this meal. Their famous bread pudding, hmmm why is it famous again, what! I hope the chef will go back to the kitchen and put this restaurant to the same glory it attained.Special Features:
- Josie rocksOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/24/2014We've been here a few times now and the food has been consistently great. We recently went and had the dine la menue. Most of what was there were on the regular menu and again no disappointment. The tomato soup was just one of the stars this time but other times its been the duck. On the expensive side but good for a nice or even special occasion. Minor quips: wine list is on the expensive side and corkage is $25. Also the main dining room was warm to the point of uncomfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Josie, our favorite LA restaurantlive2eatVIPDined on 7/24/2014Josie is a neighborhood gem. Request a table with Michael He's cheerful, knowledgeable and makes the evening so enjoyable. Inventive food paired with farmer's market vegetables makes this our fav LA restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakStudioCityEatsDined on 7/20/2014I asked if I should have the short ribs or Prime NY steak... the waiter said, not to brag, but he had been told that steak lovers who go to places like Mastro's, like their steak better. So I ordered it... and it was perfection.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/20/2014I have been wanting to visit Josie's for a long time and a perfect time during LADine. Had a great dinner, and even better service. We will be back.Special Features:
- Unassuming location great foodJRSJAGDined on 7/17/2014First time at Josie - non-descript outside but very New York chic inside. Food was great - wine a little pricey - servers were a little reserve not very friendly and talkative. would probably go back for the foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just what we were afterposheatsDined on 7/11/2014We were looking for a great restaurant near Santa Monica for 6 great old friends to get together. I was initially concerned when we were sat in the middle of the dining room. But we could hear each other, the staff laid back until natural openings in our conversation allowed for them to step in and take our orders, and the food was excellent. Couldn't have been a better place.Special Features:
- Consistently good.AlwayshungryVIPDined on 7/5/2014Josie is a talented chef and the chocolate bread pudding is perfection.Special Features:
- Nice atmosphere but limited menuCmattDined on 6/26/2014A nice atmosphere and good but not great food. The menu is very limited and strangely the only feature dish that night was another steak dish when they already had steak on the menu. We split a cheese/tomato tart, which was quite good. I had the lamb and it was also good . M had the steak special and she enjoyed it. The wine by the glass selection was kind of limited. We split the warm peach pie and enjoyed it. Our waiter was capable but not very engaging. All in all, a pleasant evening with good food but nothing special that would make me come backSpecial Features:
- The following 752 reviews are from the Josie reviews archive.
- Poor servicedodgerVIPDined on 6/18/2014Inattentive waiter. Never came to table after entree was served to check if we were satisfied with meal. After ordering dessert, which we shared, never asked us if we wanted coffee. For a restaurant with these prices we were very surprised with the lack of attention. Spoke to Josie and told her of our experience and unhappiness.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/7/2014We had a group of 7 for a special occasion dinner. The food was excellent. Good service. Overall a very positive experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Geat RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/24/2014Wonderful restaurant - the food, service and ambiance are outstanding. It is so pleasurable to be able to sit down to dinner with friends in a great restaurant where the noise level is low and one can have a conversation. We have come here many times for special occasions and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ray144VIPDined on 5/22/2014This is a great restaurant off the beaten path in the south part of Santa Monica. In many respects it is like an oasis in a sea of strip malls and industrial buildings. The interior is beautiful, the food was great and the service was excellent. I would highly recommend it.Special Features:
- just great!meatyardVIPDined on 5/16/2014Loved this restaurant. The food was perfect. Beautiful room.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/10/2014Josie's is always a dining pleasure. The menu has a good variety of choices and the wait staff are always very pleasant. The food is never a disappointment, so would recommend it without hesitation.Special Features:
- A Night to RememberOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Our experience at Josie was flawless. Everything was perfect from the fabulous food, the impeccable service and tasteful decor. We will definitely be coming g back to Josie for another special date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neil in CaliforniaNeilCyncDined on 4/29/2014Picked this through Yelp while on holiday in SF. Remarkably good food well and consistently cooked. Some fine meat and vegetables cooked with care. The chef obviously knows what he or she is doing and cares about flavour.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with FriendsBCDanceDined on 4/26/2014This was our second time at Josie's and our friend's first. Food and wine were both excellent and well recommended by the staff. Pairing was spot on. The seasonal specials were excellent (white asparagus soup was delicious). Loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousvenusdinesDined on 4/26/2014There were four of us and each of went on and on about how outstanding each dish was. The food here is utterly fabulous. The service is perfect and the ambiance is lovely. This definitely goes to the top of my favorite restaurant list.Special Features:
- A Disappointing ExperienceGeminiVIPDined on 4/25/2014We had not been to Josie for several years. Sadly our return was disappointing in all respects beginning with the menu. Our first waiter was surly; however, service recovery was genially handled by a second waiter who came to our rescue. We enjoyed several of our appetizers and entrees , but an equal number were not very good. We all shared a chocolate tart for desert that was outstanding. The restaurant was not full making us wonder how long it could survive.
- Food reviewDancerDined on 4/5/2014Restaurant is far too noisy. Chicken very tasty. Apple dessert too doughy Service mediocreSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just like I remembered...OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/4/2014I found out about Josie's through a Food and Wine show for Viking appliances years ago and I always said I would go to her restaurant based on the food I tried and I finally made it. The food was fantastic. I had the Wild Boar and my husband had the Bison Burger, both were wonderful. I can't wait to come back and will drive the hour drive again soon... It was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Good as I'd HopedceejayDined on 3/29/2014I'd heard Josie was very good, so I had high hopes. I would say the food was spotty. I had the fish special of the evening, a winner. I began with a standard butter-lettuce salad, which they serve with grapefruit sections (delicious) and burrata (totally extraneous). My friend ordered chicken, which was dry, and my husband ordered fusilli, which he said tasted as if it had come out of a box The brightest spot was the key lime pie dessert. It is served as an individual round and was oh-so-tasty. The wine list was impressive, but way too expensive. We had brought our own, for the $25 corkage fee.Special Features:
- Menu is tired. Food was blandOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/29/2014Menu is tired. Food was bland and our waiter pompous.
- Best kept secretLAVisitorDined on 3/12/2014I was traveling through Santa Monica on business and made a reservation completely from the great reviews Josie received from OpenTable and Yelp. The reviews were spot on - we loved it! The people we hosted from LA had never been there but told us they would definitely add it to their list of favorites. The wait staff was very experienced and helpful, the bar drinks were well made, and the food was delicious. We didn't realize one of our guests was vegan beforehand, but they were able to make a dish that was superb for him. Since I was from out of town, I was nervous about the restaurant when we drove up, since the exterior doesn't look like an upscale dining experience, but that changes once you enter. Four thumbs up from all of us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for UndergoodOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 3/9/2014Was excited to try Josie after seeing positive ratings and reviews. Unfortunately the food was just average. General lack of harmonious flavors, poorly constructed dishes, disappointing and flavorless dessert. Service was awkward; waiter featured the specials twice because he forgot he told us the first time. There are many better restaurants than Josie, especially for the price.
- SpecialAlecDined on 2/28/2014Quiet, accessible, wonderful food with great service, this is a very special restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.