Joshua Wilton House
412 S Main St
Harrisonburg, VA 22801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Joshua Wilton House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.joshuawilton.com/
- Phone: 5404344464x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Newsome
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: JWH Catering Services provides off-premise meals and service for banquets, meetings, weddings or social events. Clients from all over the Shenandoah Valley and Central Virginia call on us for exceptional cuisine and impeccable service. Our staff can make your event or business function the talk of the town. Call and ask to speak to our catering director Whitney Sajko, for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: Joshua Wilton House regularly sponsors and hosts special events that are related to our areas of interest, including fine cuisine, extraordinary wines and beers, and the arts. Past events have included wine tastings and dinners, art exhibits and historic preservation. If you are interested in participating in future events or have an idea for an event, please feel free to give us a call.
- Private Party Contact: Whitney Sajko 5404344464x
A word from Joshua Wilton House
Located in an elegantly restored Victorian mansion in historic downtown Harrisonburg, Joshua Wilton House offers fine dining within walking distance of James Madison University. Chefs Mark Newsome and Tom French use high quality ingredients from many small local farms and producers to create a locally sourced, seasonal menu of unique dishes. Full bar service includes signature cocktails, craft beer and an extensive Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. During the warmer months, seating is available on the outdoor brick patio. Arrive early and enjoy a cocktail in our lounge before dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Joshua Wilton House - Best Restaurants in Harrisonburg ›
Joshua Wilton House reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (56)romantic (55)fit for foodies (44)notable wine list (36)neighborhood gem (26)great for outdoor dining (20)good for groups (11)scenic view (3)great for brunch (3)great for lunch (3)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Good Food in a Beautiful SettingStrathcoolDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have come to the Joshua Wilton Inn for a number of years and we have always found that the quality has beern consistently good. The menu is imaginative and uses almost entirely local ingredients from farms in the Shenandoah region. The setting is beautiful, both in the inn itself and in the charming garden outdoors. It provides a most pleasant venue for both locals and visitors from out of town.Special Features:
- wonderful findpstalVIPDined on 9/6/2014We all enjoyed our visit to the Joshua Wilson House. The grounds are beautiful, the house is stunning and our meal was lovely. Everything we had from drinks to main course was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shenandoah Surpriseoperalover212VIPDined on 9/5/2014This remarkable inn was a lovely way to spend our anniversary. They gave us a quiet corner table and the service was impeccable. My husband loved his choice of mozzarella and tomato to start and a superb filet mignon. I enjoyed the breast of duck and the chocolate soufflé cake. All in all, this inn was by far the best part of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the reviewsWeekendWarriorDined on 8/30/2014We split salmon croquettes and had the pork schnitzel special and the sea scallops, finishing with the tiramisu and it was 10 out of 10 at each turn. Even the garnishes were super tasty! Service was great. Every bit worth the expense, I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative, delicious;elegant sitePsdlnVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is my third or fourth experience as Josh Wilton, and the best ever. The dining experience was lovely and memorable. This is the highest restaurant rating that I have ever published.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014We had already made reservations when a friend told us about date night. Made for a perfect match with an excellent waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatappyDined on 8/27/2014Best "refined" dining in Harrisonburg. If you are a demanding diner and foodophile, you have to try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the ruff!Amanzing4469Dined on 8/23/2014I was SO overly impressed with the Joshua Wilton House. From start to finish, the staff went beyond my expectations. I had the Pork Loin - it was TO DIE FOR. One of the best meals I have ever had. Wonderful, wonderful place! I will frequent this restaurant when I am in the area. BRAVO Joshua Wilton House!Special Features:
- Perfect Expeience!FoodieDined on 8/16/2014We went to the Joshua Wilton House for a Taste of Downtown event. It was great as always! The waiter was very attentive as was the bartender while spending time in the cozy lounge before our dinner reservations. Harrisonburg has a true gem here - great good, great service, and close to home! Great experience again! Will return for future dinners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicejacknstephenDined on 8/16/2014The experience was really nice. The wine choices were nice, the food was delicious, and the service was good. It's a very nice date-night restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not excellent as usual.Set0121Dined on 8/14/20141. Fairly well behaved kids (but no kids are well behaved all the time) were distracting and somewhat disruptive. 2. Pork in EVERYTHING. Very disappointing and irritating. I had to send one dish back due to pork and couldn't eat the veggies with my dinner for the cooked in ham ... That the server didn't even know about! 3. Server was in the weeds almost all night. We've had her before and this was not her best service. 4. Mosquito city at dusk and nothing to fend then off. 5. Generally good, food beautiful and (what we could eat) tasted great but we have had better here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make Any Day a CelebrationblocalVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was excellent, varied, and farm to table. The staff was thorough and attentive. Each request made through Open Table was accommodated. Our party was able to take advantage of the Restaurant Week menu as it included selections we would have made from the regular menu. Kudos for including wine or beer in the prix fixe. The presentation of the "birthday" dessert was beautiful; the 'smore was superb.Special Features:
- One of the bestjyryDined on 8/12/2014I am a vegetarian and the choices for me are always delicious and well balanced. Bravo to the chef!Special Features:
- crobVIPDined on 8/9/2014Who knew that Harrisonburg offered fine dining? The staff was very pleasant and personable. The food was fabulous with one exception: the sauce on the homemade fettucine/duck confit special was over salted, but, the pasta was very light and tender. The wine list was varied and offered something at all price ranges. We savored our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Delicious!ARGfoodieDined on 8/6/2014Fantastic food! Fog mushrooms and Duck AWESOME! We always come here when we are in the Harrisonburg area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantSHKreviewDined on 7/31/2014The Joshua Wilton House Restaurant is exceptional and quite a bonus to find in this small and charming B & B. I will certainly return the next time I'm in Harrisonburg.Special Features:
- Best place ever!guernsey59Dined on 7/26/2014We choose to go to the Joshua Wilton House to celebrate my husband's birthday. Our children had given us a gift certificate for there several months before. The food and service were excellent. The place was really busy...that's because they are so great! Looking forward to the next time already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014This was a wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary. Excellent service. Our meal was amazing, possibly the best meal we've had. We loved dining here and look forward to planning our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday dinersfoodiex2Dined on 7/18/2014This is a great place for a special occasion dinner. It was very guifoet. The food was wonderful and chef prepared. The menu is not overwhelming and has a good selection of choices. We plan to dine here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!!!SarAndLarDined on 7/18/2014Joshua Wilton is one of our favorites for special occasions. This time was to celebrate our anniversary. So great to stay in one of inn's upstairs rooms, dine in the restaurant, have an after-dinner drink on the covered porch, and retire to our room. N ever had a bad meal here, and the menu always includes something new. Wine list is impressive. Servers very knowledgeable of each menu item, including details of prep. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014From salads thru entrees, the combinations of foods and seasonings was exquisite! Our waiter was very attentive, wine selections were good and overall experience was wonderful. We would highly recommend this restaurant for a special dinner occasion.Special Features:
- Worth a visitvbdinerVIPDined on 7/15/2014We always stop in at the Wilton House when we're in Harrisonburg, and our visit this week lived up to our expectations. The roast peaches were fabulous, as were the complimentary breads and our entrees and desserts. Portions are good size and the proper temperature. Our waiter was prompt and knowledgable about the menu and wines. With meat, fish, and vegetarian selections, the Wilton House has something for everyone.Special Features:
- Remarkable service and amazing foodJMSPLDined on 7/12/2014There is not a single negative thing I can say about the Joshua Wilton House. I have been going there since 2001 for various occasions, from just a quick dinner at the bar to special occasions. Their use of local and in season ingredients provides for an impressive offering of specials on top of their already outstanding menu. The service from all staff and attention to detail by all, including the chef who professionally and quietly makes you aware of his appreciation of your presence, is remarkable. .... you just have to experience it for yourselves (and try the mussels appetizer and scallops entree if they are available. ..best ever). Everything is so wonderful that we will be holding our wedding reception here next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better and betterPKwinedineVIPDined on 7/11/2014Having dinner at Joshua Wilton House and then spending the night in one of their lovely rooms and THEN having the yummy breakfast the next morning is living at its finest. The dinner appetizers and entrees were imaginative, perfectly cooked and beautifully served, the service was friendly and professional, and the overall experience was a delight. This was our third or fourth visit and every time gets better and better. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- laurVIPDined on 7/10/2014Food was delightfu, interesting, creativel and delicious. Would go again.Special Features:
- Surprising FindPabloDined on 6/28/2014I was staying at Massanutten and was surprised to find the charming Joshua Wilton House a short 20 minutes away. The food is flavorful without being pretentious and everything tasted fresh. The cocktails were fine but the starters (fried risotto stuff squash blossoms and short rib filled ravioli) and entrees (sea scallops and huge pork chop) more than made up for it. It's in a great converted Victorian era house and very quiet with light music playing over the speakers. I would definitely return and would order the same again but would maybe have my pork cooked for an extra minute. The server was nice, personable, and helpful but I did wait a bit longer than I wanted to here and there. Overall: charming and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very satisfying indeedjcnenglishDined on 6/28/2014We had an excellent meal here -- party of three, all happy with most everything served. The plates have gotten less fussy and over-busy, with more emphasis on quality ingredients and the right accents. Particularly excellent were the mussels, the duck, and the pavlova. Ours was a meal worthy of the house's grand, traditional setting (front room to the right of the entry hall). Service was able and attentive, reception warm and ready. We have come here for decades, and I'd say the restaurant is presently at the acme of its history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!BelindatuckerDined on 6/26/2014They made our anniversary special! Great food and service. The specialty drinks were awesome. Definitely will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- suzatmassanuttensuzatmassanuttenDined on 6/21/2014If you have a special occasion, or just want a really good meal....the Joshua Wilton House is a great choice. The service is friendly and responsive, the food is fabulous. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Food was delicious!!!GurkDined on 6/14/2014The food and service was outstanding!! Would definitely recommend it for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice friendly staff good foodTonysmjcDined on 6/13/2014We stayed the weekend and enjoyed the entire experiance The breakfast only served to guest was exceptional The diner chef used top quality ingredients and served a tasty meal But with too many flaws to be concidered exceptional The venison was raw I did request it be a bit more rare than medium But it was raw Tasty but raw The appetizers were good but a bit clunky The creme brûlée was ok but the top burnt slightly Over all I would go back for the service and attentiveness of both the entire staff The have a decent wine list nice stems and their wines are stored and served properly Expect a good meal with great service but not a five star dining experiance Price ing was fair across the boardSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NormandBarbDined on 6/7/2014This was our third visit, this time for our anniversary. It is about an hour and fifteen minute drive from Lexington but well worth the trip. We have some 3 and maybe a 4-star or two restaurants here but nothing that comes close to the Joshua Wilton House. Everything about it is first class. We will return again!Special Features:
- Inviting appearanceGovernorandLadyPierpontDined on 6/6/2014We selected this restaurant from the internet based on the photos, description, menu, and location. We were scheduled to appear in a Civil War reenactment event on Saturday at Grand Caverns and decided to enjoy our stay by spending Friday night in Harrisonburg. We greatly enjoyed oysters for appetizers, Barren Ridge merlot, pork chop dinner, soft shell crab special dinner, and creme brulee for dessert. Our waiters were professional, friendly, and timely. The hostess was friendly, engaging, and efficient. We will definitely dine at the Joshua Wilton House restaurant when we are in Harrisonburg in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another good mealcaptDined on 6/5/2014We enjoyed another great meal at the Joshua Wilton House in Harrisonburg, VA. The ambiance was great, the food was delicious, and the service was exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely deliciousStellaDined on 6/4/2014I highly recommend the Joshua Wilton house! My husband and I had a fabulous dinner, spent the night in a very comfortable room and enjoyed another great meal for breakfast. We will make a point of stopping again next time we are traveling anywhere close by.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisiteBillandNancyDined on 5/23/2014We celebrated our wedding anniversary with a quiet dinner for two. Staff demonstrated excellent skill and attention. Food was magnificent.Special Features:
- The following 346 reviews are from the Joshua Wilton House reviews archive.
- Birthday and GraduationlikestoeatwellDined on 5/17/2014We had 2 dinners at the restaurant in fairly quick succession. Both were special events for the family and both were excellent. No hesitation in recommending the restaurant and no hesitation in returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday - May 17threviews4uDined on 5/17/2014Excellent meal and service. Our party of six (6) agreed that it was one of the best dining experiences we've had anywhere. We all travel extensively and will highly recommend the Joshua Wilton House to others. Although we had some difficulty getting to the restaurant causing us to be 20 minutes late for our reservation(i.e. - Mapquest does not refer to Cantrell Ave. as now being named Martin Luther King nor were we not aware of Main St. being one-way going north at Courthhouse Sq.) the staff was still very accommodating upon our arrival. We'll all be back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/16/2014We were treated wonderfully on an evening when we were celebrating a family event. Thank youSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/14/2014We received a gift certificate for our anniversary. I had not been to Joshua Wilton House for quite a few years. We totally enjoyed the experience and next time, weather permitting, we'd love to try dining outside. Everything was super!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.