Joshua Wilton House
412 S Main St
Harrisonburg, VA 22801Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Joshua Wilton House
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.joshuawilton.com/
- Phone: 5404344464x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Mark Newsome
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: JWH Catering Services provides off-premise meals and service for banquets, meetings, weddings or social events. Clients from all over the Shenandoah Valley and Central Virginia call on us for exceptional cuisine and impeccable service. Our staff can make your event or business function the talk of the town. Call and ask to speak to our catering director Whitney Sajko, for further information.
- Private Party Facilities: Joshua Wilton House regularly sponsors and hosts special events that are related to our areas of interest, including fine cuisine, extraordinary wines and beers, and the arts. Past events have included wine tastings and dinners, art exhibits and historic preservation. If you are interested in participating in future events or have an idea for an event, please feel free to give us a call.
- Private Party Contact: Whitney Sajko 5404344464x
A word from Joshua Wilton House
Located in an elegantly restored Victorian mansion in historic downtown Harrisonburg, Joshua Wilton House offers fine dining within walking distance of James Madison University. Chefs Mark Newsome and Tom French use high quality ingredients from many small local farms and producers to create a locally sourced, seasonal menu of unique dishes. Full bar service includes signature cocktails, craft beer and an extensive Wine Spectator award-winning wine list. During the warmer months, seating is available on the outdoor brick patio. Arrive early and enjoy a cocktail in our lounge before dinner.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Joshua Wilton House - Best Restaurants in Harrisonburg ›
Joshua Wilton House reviews from OpenTable diners
76 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
special occasion (57)romantic (54)fit for foodies (51)notable wine list (32)neighborhood gem (28)great for outdoor dining (18)good for groups (13)great for lunch (4)great for brunch (3)scenic view (3)hot spot (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/18/2014You get what you pay for and this is worth it. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxSpecial Features:
- expected a little moreOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014Handicap access takes you through the kitchen, down a ramp with water dripping at the bottom and then a gravel lot. For those who are not aware, gravel is precarious to those on wheeled support systems. Service a bit slow and the lentils were undercooked. Can't say for sure that the dinner caused it, but had severe intestinal distress that evening
- rustyDined on 10/16/2014This is our go to place for special occasions and also just to go as the food is excellent, the best in Harrisonburg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a bit disappointingNorthportDanDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I had dinner here with our daughters on Saturday night of JMU family weekend. The House itself is stately and the dining rooms are spacious and atmospheric. Perhaps the kitchen was overtaxed by the full house but the food did not meet my expecations -- which were based on the cost of the dinner and by prior enthusiastic reviews. Each sourse was uneven, with some dishes excellent and others disappointing. A scallop first course was badly oversalted. Duck confit was not crisped and not well presented. a peach cobbler was overpowered by ginger and was short on fruit. Service was adequate but the level of attention seemed to dwindle as the meal progressed. A nice experience, on balance, but not a special one.Special Features:
- SLICKDined on 10/11/2014Overall, our dining experience was good but this restaurant was WAY OVER PRICED!! The dinner (main entree) portions were too small for the price. We thought it was extremely costly.
- Nice dinner - friendly staffWarrenDined on 10/11/2014After a busy JMU Parents Weekend - we were looking for somewhere nice to take our daughter while we were in town. Thanks to OpenTable we find the Joshua Wilton House. The food and service was very nice and topped off a great weekend. The crabcakes, Duck Confit, and Filet were all top notch. We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- The food was fantastic!AnniversaryDined on 10/10/2014We took our son to the restaurant for an amazing dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly Quaint!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014My Girlfriend and I absolutely loved this place! If you happen to be traveling through the area take the time to book a reservation. You won't be disappointed. Great food! Great Service! great atmosphere!Special Features:
- So goodstrklnd003Dined on 10/4/2014Everything from the greeting we received when we entered to the end of the night when one of the owners thanked us coming, snapped a picture for us and wishing us a good evening was outstanding. I highly recommend this beautiful establishment. The food was remarkable, also expensive but well worth the price. We will be back on another trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not our best JWH experiencespinningbaronDined on 10/3/2014We have dined here many times in the last decade; this was by far our worst experience. Our waiter was charming, and the service was good. But the room was excessively noisy, not what I expect at the JWH. The crispy flounder and pork belly on cheese grits starters and our shared dessert, the chocolate ganache tart were quite tasty. The Spinach salad, and the prosciutto wrapped dates on spring greens with concord grape vinaigrette were also good. Unfortunately, the entrees were a different story. The opah special was not particularly fresh, and the filet mignon was drenched in a salty sauce and the accompanying potato garnish was too salty to eat. The entrees and noise combined left us feeling disappointed, overall.Special Features:
- Elegant old Victorian restaurantRGinTallyVIPDined on 10/2/2014Wow! An elegant large, old Victorian turned into an excellent restaurant. My wife and I stopped on a trip and decided to try JH and we very glad we did. We got there early for a glass of wine in a cool little bar. Good wine list. We got there on a Thursday which turned out to be "Date Night" when for $55 a couple gets to share an appetizer, dessert, and get separate main courses. A great deal! Lots of lovely indoor rooms for dining as well as an outdoor patio and even a gazebo for romantic dining. We had prosciutto warped dates for a shared appetizer and they were delicious. Bread came with an incredibly good olive oil. We also shared a yummy apple tart dessert. For a main course I thought the flounder was a bit dry and bland.Special Features:
- SupwithSutsDined on 9/27/2014My husband and I were very pleased with our evening at the Joshua Wilton House. We called that morning and given a choice on indoor or outdoor seating. We selected outdoor and were treated to a lovely dinner in the gazebo. The chef's dishes were outstanding. I chose the flounder and my husband had the filet. Everything from the cocktails to the dessert was great. We will come back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ambiance in HarrisonburgdelightedDelawareanDined on 9/26/2014Food and service were great. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Excellent food, upscale experiencedaddydogDined on 9/25/2014Great choice for special occasions. "Date night" special is very good value.Special Features:
- "Date Night"kmk62Dined on 9/18/2014The Wilton House date night special (Thursdays) is a great value. The food is always exceptional.Special Features:
- Good Food in a Beautiful SettingStrathcoolDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have come to the Joshua Wilton Inn for a number of years and we have always found that the quality has beern consistently good. The menu is imaginative and uses almost entirely local ingredients from farms in the Shenandoah region. The setting is beautiful, both in the inn itself and in the charming garden outdoors. It provides a most pleasant venue for both locals and visitors from out of town.Special Features:
- wonderful findpstalVIPDined on 9/6/2014We all enjoyed our visit to the Joshua Wilson House. The grounds are beautiful, the house is stunning and our meal was lovely. Everything we had from drinks to main course was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shenandoah Surpriseoperalover212VIPDined on 9/5/2014This remarkable inn was a lovely way to spend our anniversary. They gave us a quiet corner table and the service was impeccable. My husband loved his choice of mozzarella and tomato to start and a superb filet mignon. I enjoyed the breast of duck and the chocolate soufflé cake. All in all, this inn was by far the best part of our trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to the reviewsWeekendWarriorDined on 8/30/2014We split salmon croquettes and had the pork schnitzel special and the sea scallops, finishing with the tiramisu and it was 10 out of 10 at each turn. Even the garnishes were super tasty! Service was great. Every bit worth the expense, I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Imaginative, delicious;elegant sitePsdlnVIPDined on 8/28/2014This is my third or fourth experience as Josh Wilton, and the best ever. The dining experience was lovely and memorable. This is the highest restaurant rating that I have ever published.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/28/2014We had already made reservations when a friend told us about date night. Made for a perfect match with an excellent waitress.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- greatappyDined on 8/27/2014Best "refined" dining in Harrisonburg. If you are a demanding diner and foodophile, you have to try this place out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Diamond in the ruff!Amanzing4469Dined on 8/23/2014I was SO overly impressed with the Joshua Wilton House. From start to finish, the staff went beyond my expectations. I had the Pork Loin - it was TO DIE FOR. One of the best meals I have ever had. Wonderful, wonderful place! I will frequent this restaurant when I am in the area. BRAVO Joshua Wilton House!Special Features:
- Perfect Expeience!FoodieDined on 8/16/2014We went to the Joshua Wilton House for a Taste of Downtown event. It was great as always! The waiter was very attentive as was the bartender while spending time in the cozy lounge before our dinner reservations. Harrisonburg has a true gem here - great good, great service, and close to home! Great experience again! Will return for future dinners!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NicejacknstephenDined on 8/16/2014The experience was really nice. The wine choices were nice, the food was delicious, and the service was good. It's a very nice date-night restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not excellent as usual.Set0121Dined on 8/14/20141. Fairly well behaved kids (but no kids are well behaved all the time) were distracting and somewhat disruptive. 2. Pork in EVERYTHING. Very disappointing and irritating. I had to send one dish back due to pork and couldn't eat the veggies with my dinner for the cooked in ham ... That the server didn't even know about! 3. Server was in the weeds almost all night. We've had her before and this was not her best service. 4. Mosquito city at dusk and nothing to fend then off. 5. Generally good, food beautiful and (what we could eat) tasted great but we have had better here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Make Any Day a CelebrationblocalVIPDined on 8/13/2014The food was excellent, varied, and farm to table. The staff was thorough and attentive. Each request made through Open Table was accommodated. Our party was able to take advantage of the Restaurant Week menu as it included selections we would have made from the regular menu. Kudos for including wine or beer in the prix fixe. The presentation of the "birthday" dessert was beautiful; the 'smore was superb.Special Features:
- One of the bestjyryDined on 8/12/2014I am a vegetarian and the choices for me are always delicious and well balanced. Bravo to the chef!Special Features:
- crobVIPDined on 8/9/2014Who knew that Harrisonburg offered fine dining? The staff was very pleasant and personable. The food was fabulous with one exception: the sauce on the homemade fettucine/duck confit special was over salted, but, the pasta was very light and tender. The wine list was varied and offered something at all price ranges. We savored our meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative and Delicious!ARGfoodieDined on 8/6/2014Fantastic food! Fog mushrooms and Duck AWESOME! We always come here when we are in the Harrisonburg area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent restaurantSHKreviewDined on 7/31/2014The Joshua Wilton House Restaurant is exceptional and quite a bonus to find in this small and charming B & B. I will certainly return the next time I'm in Harrisonburg.Special Features:
- Best place ever!guernsey59Dined on 7/26/2014We choose to go to the Joshua Wilton House to celebrate my husband's birthday. Our children had given us a gift certificate for there several months before. The food and service were excellent. The place was really busy...that's because they are so great! Looking forward to the next time already!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014This was a wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary. Excellent service. Our meal was amazing, possibly the best meal we've had. We loved dining here and look forward to planning our next trip!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Birthday dinersfoodiex2Dined on 7/18/2014This is a great place for a special occasion dinner. It was very guifoet. The food was wonderful and chef prepared. The menu is not overwhelming and has a good selection of choices. We plan to dine here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We'll be back!!!SarAndLarDined on 7/18/2014Joshua Wilton is one of our favorites for special occasions. This time was to celebrate our anniversary. So great to stay in one of inn's upstairs rooms, dine in the restaurant, have an after-dinner drink on the covered porch, and retire to our room. N ever had a bad meal here, and the menu always includes something new. Wine list is impressive. Servers very knowledgeable of each menu item, including details of prep. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014From salads thru entrees, the combinations of foods and seasonings was exquisite! Our waiter was very attentive, wine selections were good and overall experience was wonderful. We would highly recommend this restaurant for a special dinner occasion.Special Features:
- Worth a visitvbdinerVIPDined on 7/15/2014We always stop in at the Wilton House when we're in Harrisonburg, and our visit this week lived up to our expectations. The roast peaches were fabulous, as were the complimentary breads and our entrees and desserts. Portions are good size and the proper temperature. Our waiter was prompt and knowledgable about the menu and wines. With meat, fish, and vegetarian selections, the Wilton House has something for everyone.Special Features:
- Remarkable service and amazing foodJMSPLDined on 7/12/2014There is not a single negative thing I can say about the Joshua Wilton House. I have been going there since 2001 for various occasions, from just a quick dinner at the bar to special occasions. Their use of local and in season ingredients provides for an impressive offering of specials on top of their already outstanding menu. The service from all staff and attention to detail by all, including the chef who professionally and quietly makes you aware of his appreciation of your presence, is remarkable. .... you just have to experience it for yourselves (and try the mussels appetizer and scallops entree if they are available. ..best ever). Everything is so wonderful that we will be holding our wedding reception here next year!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gets better and betterPKwinedineVIPDined on 7/11/2014Having dinner at Joshua Wilton House and then spending the night in one of their lovely rooms and THEN having the yummy breakfast the next morning is living at its finest. The dinner appetizers and entrees were imaginative, perfectly cooked and beautifully served, the service was friendly and professional, and the overall experience was a delight. This was our third or fourth visit and every time gets better and better. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- laurVIPDined on 7/10/2014Food was delightfu, interesting, creativel and delicious. Would go again.Special Features: