Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City
212 South Clinton Street
Iowa City, IA 52240Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.josephssteak.com/
- Phone: 3193580776x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Late Night Bar: Saturday and Sunday Open Until 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Isaac Onofre
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our sister restaurant, "The Bread Garden" offers catering.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant has 2 areas that may be partitioned off for private or semi-private parties. There is no rental fee but we may require a signed contract, and a minimum spending requirement or deposit may apply.
- Private Party Contact: Nikki Hill 3193580776x
A word from Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City offers the highest quality steak and seafood in a luxurious atmosphere. We serve only vegetarian organically fed Angus beef, our seafood is always fresh. Complement your entree with one of our signature martinis or choose from our extensive collection of fine wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City - Best Restaurants in Iowa City ›
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)romantic (38)notable wine list (14)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (9)good for groups (6)vibrant bar scene (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Foodfan1VIPDined on 8/17/2014We took our college boys for a last nite/move in dinner before leaving them in iowa city. There was 10 of us and all our meals were outstanding. I like the fact that you feel as though you have your own private room. They have a great wine list but were out of 2 of the wines we requested but gave us good recommendations for substitutes. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceDDaveDined on 8/15/2014Entrees were excellent. Our server was attentive but not overly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceDineAmicDined on 8/9/2014The food was good and plentiful. The atmosphere was quiet and romantic even though we sat close to other patrons, it didn't matter. My wife loved the scallop and seafood dish. My steak was a 6 / 10, but I ordered the ribeye. Should have got the fillet. Server was kind, knowledgeable and funny. It is expensive but I would like to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathybDined on 8/2/2014Scallops and steak were wonderful. We have always enjoyed our dining experience at Josephs.Special Features:
- AmbienceDateNight22Dined on 8/1/2014Decent ambience if we weren't sat at first table right inside the door. A special occasion deserves a special place to celebrate. We could see the possibilities for a nice ambience. Reservations made, it's assumed you get a better table then the couple that comes in without a reservation. Not the case here. The food was okay, I ordered a medium new your strip, it came out rare. I had to send it back twice, therefore the sides we ordered extra were cold by the time the steak was edible. It seemed like a bad cut, had a lot of gristle, just not impressed. Good service though. Over all not a restaurant we will be hurrying back to.Special Features:
- Special place for special occasionsLinnaDined on 7/30/2014We like to go to Joseph's to celebrate special occasions....because Joseph's is a special place...it's fine dining in the heart of Iowa City. We always know that we're going to receive outstanding service, and that what ever we select from the menu...it will be outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- table walk aroundalwaysDined on 7/19/2014Nice to find a place like Joseph's in Iowa City. Now if Jim (owner) walked around and greeted each table, that would be a real surprise, and pleasure.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014The food was great and the service excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014I would recommend Josephs Steakhouse to anyone who has a special occasion coming up because the food and the service are fantastic. The food comes in large portions and anyone who goes away hungry its their own fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high end in Iowa CityLJSDVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great place if you're looking for excellent food and drink in a cool atmosphere. Not what you'd expect in the ped mall but it's a very pleasant surprise. Food was amazing, drinks great, nice wine list.Special Features:
- fabulous menu, impeccable service.freewhittleDined on 6/29/2014I took my granddaughter for her first high hell, little black dress dinner here. She was so impressed with the entire experience, and I was so pleased with how she was treated. Of course 14 year old's these days look about 20.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentfeistfoodyDined on 6/28/2014I dined at Josephs Steakhouse with a friend, for the second time. I live in western North Carolina and have dined at fine restaurants. Josephs is definitely one of the best! I will return whenever I am in Iowa City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent ExperienceJustSomeGuyDined on 6/23/2014With a menu as diverse as the city itself, Joseph's has never disappointed. Everyone in my dinner party was thoroughly satisfied with their order, and commented on how finely prepared and presented every item was. I had the NY Strip for my main entree and left the restaurant believing that was the best steak I've had this side of the Mississippi River. Great food, great service, decadent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice eveningTalullahDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary at Joseph's on Saturday. We came down from CR, and everything was very nice. Food and service was top-notch and exceeded our expectations. The only exception was an adjacent table that was very loud, but having a good time. It was nicer when they left - we could hear our own conversation then. I can't really be too critical about it, since we were glad they were having a good time, and enjoying the food and drink. We will dine there again when our next celebration arrives! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joseph's Iowa CityLeslieEichDined on 6/21/2014This is a favorite of my husband and me. On this occasion we were celebrating our anniversary. We love the great quality steak and seafood and shareable sides. We can always count on a great wine list as well. The wait staff here is generally very attentive and knowledgeable. We may have had a "greener" server on this occasion. In my work role we use this location to host customer dinners as well. Joseph's always does a fantastic job for these important meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Joseph's is one of the premier restaurants in eastern Iowa. More than a traditional steak house, it boasts wonderful seafood dishes and great small plates. The ambiance is upscale with filmy privacy curtains between tables and great musical background. But it's main attraction is the food and service. Consistently good and well priced with a nice wine list, and wait staff that knows the menu and provides great service. If you're close to Iowa City, don't miss this restaurant!Special Features:
- Joseph's in Iowa CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Really excellent food. Very fancy. Bring your dictionary/google to look up fancy food items. Staff very nice, helpful, explained menu items well.Special Features:
- As promisedClevercat73Dined on 6/14/2014Not our first visit to Joseph's. Had been there before for both special occasions and work dinners. Menu had been recently freshened which was a nice surprise. Food was high quality and service was good--albeit almost a little fast for our liking. Down point was we were seated next to a window that had a number of flies and some accumulated fly specs on it. Not so appetizing and definitely not romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Special TreatlovemybrotherDined on 6/14/2014My brother always sends us a gift card for Joseph's for my birthday and we ALWAYS look forward to using it. The tenderloin melts in your mouth and the mashed potatoes are worth the splurge!Special Features:
- one of the best I've been toStephDined on 6/8/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday because he is pretty difficult to buy for but he loves food and fine dining. Lamb is one of his favorite dishes and, since it is served at very few places, he only gets it 1-2 times a year. We has seen Joseph's from the outside while doing various things on campus and decided it would be a great place to try and it was. The food was phenomenal, the environment was romantic and calming, and the service was among the best I've experienced. I would recommend Joseph's for special occasions or special date-nights because it is a little bit on the pricey side, but it is well worth it.Special Features:
- Best High-end dining in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Joseph's is the best high-end dining in Iowa City. Excellent food, true professional service. If you want a special meal, this is the place to go. Expensive and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICPimaDined on 5/27/2014This was one of our best meals probably in the last five years!!! Wonderful--thanks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Love the food, service and atmosphere. It never disappoints. However I only gave 4 out of 5 because the online menu and the menu posted outside the restaurant didn't match the menu inside. I was really excited to try some things on their menu I had seen online and on the menu outside. However they no longer offered them.Special Features:
- Flawless!businessgalDined on 5/17/2014Highly recommend the restaurant! Outstanding service at bar and tableside. Our steaks were exceptional. On a busy graduation evening they graciously increased my reservation from 4 to 5 without a hitch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Our family had a celebratory dinner after graduation at Josephs. We were a large party, and were at times confusing to the waitress. She, however, was very gracious, helpful, and accommodating. The service was fabulous. The food was absolutely delicious and hot. This is a gem of a restaurant in Iowa City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 482 reviews are from the Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City reviews archive.
- Good not greatOGPIADined on 5/1/2014The ambiance is modern retro industrial, with drapes for intimacy and mystery. The problem for me was that it was still daylight and it was clear that the window, mullions and blinds I was sitting next to had not been cleaned and mysterious fuzzy objects were evident on the window sill. The wood slat blinds were in a similar state. The meat was not exceptional.Special Features:
- Best in Iowa CityJudyVIPDined on 4/30/2014Finally, we've found a great restaurant in Iowa City. It only took four previous visits to quite a few mediocre restaurants! Food was excellent, service attentive, equivalent to very good restaurants in much larger cities. Glad we found you!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/26/2014excellent dinner. Everything we ordered was wonderful. Service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/24/2014Our steaks were great. Sides are large and made for sharing. Creme brûlée was also large enough for 5 of us to share. Overall a really nice dinner.Special Features:
- Impressive!JustJDined on 4/23/2014We wanted to treat our son and daughter-in-law visiting from California to a nice dinner and Joseph's was the PERFECT choice. Both ambience and service were incredible topped only by the food. It was all amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerRuahDined on 4/19/2014Our meal was really up and down. The appetizers were really good (crab cakes and seared tuna), and the fish special was very good. However, we went to Joseph's because it is a high end steak house, and the steaks just weren't that good (not like a Ruth's Chris, Morton's, Gibsons, etc.). We had good service - and our server (Ashley) noted that it was my daughters 18th birthday and brought her a nice piece of cake with a candle, etc. We had a good evening - just not a home run.
- Good food but very expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/5/2014Good food but very expensive. Everything is a la carte.Special Features:
- Nice Steakhouse!Crystalysis1Dined on 4/1/2014I had supper there on 01Apr2014 and had a 1830 reservation. I was seated immediately and waited upon quickly. The setting very lovely and quaint as there are sheer curtains between each table. I had a glass of pinot grigio to drink. Then, they brought hot bread to start the meal and their house salad, topped with a very nice lemon caper vineagrette. For my main course, I had the special: seared halibut in an orange sauce that was cooked well and had a nice citrus finish. It was delicious. For dessert, I had hot tea and a bowel of seasonal berries (have to watch my sugar intake). I really enjoyed my experience and will definitely go back next time that I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food3dinersDined on 3/20/2014Entree included a very large crisp salad and sides were big enough to share. Tables were separated by sheer curtains which made our table somewhat private. Helpful efficient unobtrusive waiter.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joseph's is a GEM - and GREAT!OOTbusinessDined on 3/9/2014Joseph's is a true gem, evidenced by great food, a fantastic wine menu, excellent staff, and very good ambience. Close to the pedestrian walk way and downtown hotels, you cannot miss. Careful on the blue cheese crust on your steak - they put it on very heavy. Not a complaint, just a note. And definitely clog your arteries with the decadent, but fantastic, loaded hashbrowns! I took my son there as he's a huge steak fan and we both loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebration dinnerGOttoDined on 3/8/2014We took a friend out for his retirement celebration and the food, and atmosphere were great. It is a bit pricey for iowa City, but for a special occasion I would rate it hightly.Special Features:
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/1/2014We chose this restaurant to celebrate ours college student's birthday. Love the curtains that separated us from other diners! Gave a nice sense of intimacy. Food was very good. Sides are a la carte but generous in portion and can easily be shared. Our waitress was very attentive and informative. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You will never be disappointedLinnaDined on 3/1/2014How fortunate are we to have such an amazing restaurant right here in Iowa City? The food is always cooked to pefection. And.....don't miss the key lime pie for dessert. We highly recommend that you ask for Lydia to make your dining experience complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Intimate and great serviceAlexNebbiaDined on 3/1/2014The experience was way better than what I was expecting. The options on the menu were superb and the quality of the food and service was very high-end. And even better was the excellent feeling of intimacy for the especial occasion we were celebrating (my in-laws 40th anniversary). Highly recommended.Special Features:
- best onion rings in the worldGwenDined on 2/28/2014We are in Iowa City often but had always walked past Joseph's. Our favorite place was too crowded, so we decided to give it a try. It was fabulous! The food, the service, the drinks- all great. Do not miss out on the onion rings; they are the best I have ever had. My 18 year old son said if he had nothing ever to eat other than these rings, he would be a happy guy. We also enjoyed the beef and blue (tenderloin tips and blue cheese) appetizer, ribeye steak, salmon, crab cakes and burgers. Again, service was outstanding as well. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.