Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City
212 South Clinton Street
Iowa City, IA 52240Neighborhood:
SteakPrice: $30 and under
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.josephssteak.com/
- Phone: (319) 358-0776
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm,; Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
Late Night Bar: Saturday and Sunday Open Until 12:30am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Isaac Onofre
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our sister restaurant, "The Bread Garden" offers catering.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant has 2 areas that may be partitioned off for private or semi-private parties. There is no rental fee but we may require a signed contract, and a minimum spending requirement or deposit may apply.
- Private Party Contact: Nikki Hill 3193580776x
A word from Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City offers the highest quality steak and seafood in a luxurious atmosphere. We serve only vegetarian organically fed Angus beef, our seafood is always fresh. Complement your entree with one of our signature martinis or choose from our extensive collection of fine wines.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City - Best Restaurants in Iowa City ›
Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (44)romantic (30)fit for foodies (20)notable wine list (19)good for groups (8)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- OkJb0021Dined on 11/14/2014I was not as impressed as I thought I'd be for a $200 dinner. The wine and steak were delicious, but the rest was very average. The ranch dressing was basically mayonnaise. I sent it back. The bread was bland. I had to pay $2 extra for pepper crust on my steak and an additional $3 for a steak dipping sauce. Extra $ for a side too. Lots of extras tacked on. Perhaps it was too high brow for my taste. The table next to us provided us with high end stories of jet setting and one upping. On a positive note, the waitress was nice and informative. Not sure we'll be running back here.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/9/2014We had a good time there as always. Food was excellent service was just on time. We always have a very nice time there. Love the food and wine. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect DiningJoshDined on 11/3/2014Joseph's menu and service is always top-notch. They have a dedicated gluten-free menu in which the diner may enjoy most of the same items as the "regular" diners with small modifications. They are very good with answering questions about gluten-free options but don't hesitate to find out if they don't know.Special Features:
- Wonderfully surprised.GoodGruntsDined on 11/3/2014This may well be Iowa's best. Certainly Iowa City's best. I have long been a fan of Givanni's, which has quite a few reliably excellent dishes. But… Joseph's is in it's own league. The atmosphere vastly outclasses Givannis, the food is better, the menu and wine list are extensive. The waitress brought what was very slightly the wrong main course, and without an instant's hesitation, she removed the charge from the bill. And, she removed the corkage fee for a bottle 2089 Lynch Bages I had brought. Certainly not cheap for Iowa, but the whole experience was wonderful. We can't wait to go again.Special Features:
- A GemInBoccaChiusaDined on 10/30/2014Joseph's Steakhouse is the premier restaurant of its kind in Iowa City. All food is of the highest quality, prepared and served perfectly. The steaks are stars in this restaurant, cooked exactly as ordered. I had the crab cakes, which are the best in the area. The grand filet mignon was tender and delicious, well worth the price. I tried a new (to me) side dish, mac and cheese with lobster, also delicious. The other guests were delighted with their dinner, which included a Chilean sea bass special. My only disappointment of the evening was the New York Cheesecake -a huge portion- which was not up to the standards of this restaurant. The service was superb.Special Features:
- Not the BestTonyVIPDined on 10/28/2014Food was cold especially the sides of asparagus and hash browns. Cuts of meat were below average--we had the NY Strip and the Ribeye. It's inexpensive, but you get what you pay for.
- excellent experienceblackburnhawkeyeDined on 10/18/2014I was looking for a upscale/fancy place to take my girlfriend for our one year anniversary, and Joseph's Steakhouse definitely fit the bill. The waitress was very polite and stuck a nice balance of making sure she checked up on us enough while not seeming to be intrusive. Overall I would definitely recommend this restaurant as a place to go for a celebratory type dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasionIloveambianceDined on 10/18/2014I love Joseph's for a great meal and a it is wonderful place to take our University of Iowa student for an excellent meal. The menu has something for everyone who enjoys great American good. I usually have the Wild Salmon, my husband favors the Ahi Tuna. The sides are generous, sharable and delicious. We love the sheer drape table dividers, which facilitate a private dining experience. The location makes it an easy walk from most near-campus apartments and & dorms.Special Features:
- Wonderful serviceCoralvillianDined on 10/12/2014Both the host and waiter were friendly and accommodating. Steaks were done perfectly & had excellent flavor. Fresh fish of the day was sea bass and was yummy. We went on a Sunday night when very few restaurants are open and were very happy with our choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemJulesDined on 10/11/2014The ambience to meal to service is outstanding. A hidden gem in a college town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstandingJFIOWAVIPDined on 10/4/2014Truly outstanding steak - best in Iowa City!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:
- Great lobster, skip the cheeseTERRIfiedDined on 9/26/2014The lobster and bisque were wonderful. Prepared just right. We had a cheese plate for an appetizer, it was just "ok". The brie was good, but I would have gone with one other kind of cheese rather than two types of gouda, one of them was not fit to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experienceAnniversaryCoupleDined on 9/15/2014This was a perfect venue to celebrate our 35th Wedding Anniversary! The romantic atmosphere and privacy dining was perfect. The food was absolutely delicious! We enjoyed every moment from start to finish! All of the staff were extremely helpful and courteous. Our waiter was fun and made us feel special. We ordered steaks which were prepared perfectly to our liking. Overall, I give this restaurant 5 plus stars for the excellent total dining experience!Special Features:
- Wonderful steakenjoydiningoutDined on 9/10/2014Our filets were outstanding!! So tender and tasty.Special Features:
- Foodfan1VIPDined on 8/17/2014We took our college boys for a last nite/move in dinner before leaving them in iowa city. There was 10 of us and all our meals were outstanding. I like the fact that you feel as though you have your own private room. They have a great wine list but were out of 2 of the wines we requested but gave us good recommendations for substitutes. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceDDaveDined on 8/15/2014Entrees were excellent. Our server was attentive but not overly so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice experienceDineAmicDined on 8/9/2014The food was good and plentiful. The atmosphere was quiet and romantic even though we sat close to other patrons, it didn't matter. My wife loved the scallop and seafood dish. My steak was a 6 / 10, but I ordered the ribeye. Should have got the fillet. Server was kind, knowledgeable and funny. It is expensive but I would like to go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kathybDined on 8/2/2014Scallops and steak were wonderful. We have always enjoyed our dining experience at Josephs.Special Features:
- AmbienceDateNight22Dined on 8/1/2014Decent ambience if we weren't sat at first table right inside the door. A special occasion deserves a special place to celebrate. We could see the possibilities for a nice ambience. Reservations made, it's assumed you get a better table then the couple that comes in without a reservation. Not the case here. The food was okay, I ordered a medium new your strip, it came out rare. I had to send it back twice, therefore the sides we ordered extra were cold by the time the steak was edible. It seemed like a bad cut, had a lot of gristle, just not impressed. Good service though. Over all not a restaurant we will be hurrying back to.Special Features:
- The following 502 reviews are from the Joseph's Steakhouse of Iowa City reviews archive.
- Special place for special occasionsLinnaDined on 7/30/2014We like to go to Joseph's to celebrate special occasions....because Joseph's is a special place...it's fine dining in the heart of Iowa City. We always know that we're going to receive outstanding service, and that what ever we select from the menu...it will be outstanding as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- table walk aroundalwaysDined on 7/19/2014Nice to find a place like Joseph's in Iowa City. Now if Jim (owner) walked around and greeted each table, that would be a real surprise, and pleasure.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/15/2014The food was great and the service excellent. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/11/2014I would recommend Josephs Steakhouse to anyone who has a special occasion coming up because the food and the service are fantastic. The food comes in large portions and anyone who goes away hungry its their own fault.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- high end in Iowa CityLJSDVIPDined on 7/10/2014Great place if you're looking for excellent food and drink in a cool atmosphere. Not what you'd expect in the ped mall but it's a very pleasant surprise. Food was amazing, drinks great, nice wine list.Special Features:
- fabulous menu, impeccable service.freewhittleDined on 6/29/2014I took my granddaughter for her first high hell, little black dress dinner here. She was so impressed with the entire experience, and I was so pleased with how she was treated. Of course 14 year old's these days look about 20.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellentfeistfoodyDined on 6/28/2014I dined at Josephs Steakhouse with a friend, for the second time. I live in western North Carolina and have dined at fine restaurants. Josephs is definitely one of the best! I will return whenever I am in Iowa City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decadent ExperienceJustSomeGuyDined on 6/23/2014With a menu as diverse as the city itself, Joseph's has never disappointed. Everyone in my dinner party was thoroughly satisfied with their order, and commented on how finely prepared and presented every item was. I had the NY Strip for my main entree and left the restaurant believing that was the best steak I've had this side of the Mississippi River. Great food, great service, decadent experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very nice eveningTalullahDined on 6/21/2014My wife and I celebrated our 28th wedding anniversary at Joseph's on Saturday. We came down from CR, and everything was very nice. Food and service was top-notch and exceeded our expectations. The only exception was an adjacent table that was very loud, but having a good time. It was nicer when they left - we could hear our own conversation then. I can't really be too critical about it, since we were glad they were having a good time, and enjoying the food and drink. We will dine there again when our next celebration arrives! Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Joseph's Iowa CityLeslieEichDined on 6/21/2014This is a favorite of my husband and me. On this occasion we were celebrating our anniversary. We love the great quality steak and seafood and shareable sides. We can always count on a great wine list as well. The wait staff here is generally very attentive and knowledgeable. We may have had a "greener" server on this occasion. In my work role we use this location to host customer dinners as well. Joseph's always does a fantastic job for these important meals as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to be missedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014Joseph's is one of the premier restaurants in eastern Iowa. More than a traditional steak house, it boasts wonderful seafood dishes and great small plates. The ambiance is upscale with filmy privacy curtains between tables and great musical background. But it's main attraction is the food and service. Consistently good and well priced with a nice wine list, and wait staff that knows the menu and provides great service. If you're close to Iowa City, don't miss this restaurant!Special Features:
- Joseph's in Iowa CityOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/15/2014Really excellent food. Very fancy. Bring your dictionary/google to look up fancy food items. Staff very nice, helpful, explained menu items well.Special Features:
- As promisedClevercat73Dined on 6/14/2014Not our first visit to Joseph's. Had been there before for both special occasions and work dinners. Menu had been recently freshened which was a nice surprise. Food was high quality and service was good--albeit almost a little fast for our liking. Down point was we were seated next to a window that had a number of flies and some accumulated fly specs on it. Not so appetizing and definitely not romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a Special TreatlovemybrotherDined on 6/14/2014My brother always sends us a gift card for Joseph's for my birthday and we ALWAYS look forward to using it. The tenderloin melts in your mouth and the mashed potatoes are worth the splurge!Special Features:
- one of the best I've been toStephDined on 6/8/2014I took my boyfriend here for his birthday because he is pretty difficult to buy for but he loves food and fine dining. Lamb is one of his favorite dishes and, since it is served at very few places, he only gets it 1-2 times a year. We has seen Joseph's from the outside while doing various things on campus and decided it would be a great place to try and it was. The food was phenomenal, the environment was romantic and calming, and the service was among the best I've experienced. I would recommend Joseph's for special occasions or special date-nights because it is a little bit on the pricey side, but it is well worth it.Special Features:
- Best High-end dining in town.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014Joseph's is the best high-end dining in Iowa City. Excellent food, true professional service. If you want a special meal, this is the place to go. Expensive and worth every penny.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICPimaVIPDined on 5/27/2014This was one of our best meals probably in the last five years!!! Wonderful--thanks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014Love the food, service and atmosphere. It never disappoints. However I only gave 4 out of 5 because the online menu and the menu posted outside the restaurant didn't match the menu inside. I was really excited to try some things on their menu I had seen online and on the menu outside. However they no longer offered them.Special Features:
- Flawless!businessgalDined on 5/17/2014Highly recommend the restaurant! Outstanding service at bar and tableside. Our steaks were exceptional. On a busy graduation evening they graciously increased my reservation from 4 to 5 without a hitch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation PartyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Our family had a celebratory dinner after graduation at Josephs. We were a large party, and were at times confusing to the waitress. She, however, was very gracious, helpful, and accommodating. The service was fabulous. The food was absolutely delicious and hot. This is a gem of a restaurant in Iowa City.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not greatOGPIADined on 5/1/2014The ambiance is modern retro industrial, with drapes for intimacy and mystery. The problem for me was that it was still daylight and it was clear that the window, mullions and blinds I was sitting next to had not been cleaned and mysterious fuzzy objects were evident on the window sill. The wood slat blinds were in a similar state. The meat was not exceptional.Special Features: