Josephine's Modern American Bistro
503 N Humphreys Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Josephine's Modern American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephinesrestaurant.com/description.html
- Phone: (928) 779-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thurday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Executive Chef: Tony Cosentino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Josephine's Modern American Bistro
The Cosentino’s firmly believe in creating an exceptional fine dining experience through utilization of the finest ingredients available. The term ‘modern American’ is meant to reflect freedom from ethnic constraints. The restaurant menu features ingredients and techniques from many different cultures. Chef Tony uses the finest cheeses available such as Maytag blue cheese, Tillamook cheddar and Reggiano. No hydrogenated oils or margarine are used on the premise, only extra virgin olive oil and real butter. Local seasonal and organic produce is utilized whenever available. The menu is frequently updated to showcase the best produce and seafood the season has to offer. This also serves to keep things fresh while allowing the chef room for creative freedom. The wine list is continuously added to, in order to complement the menu to the fullest. Josephine’s also features a full bar with excellent cocktails, martinis and an extensive beer list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Josephine's Modern American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Flagstaff ›
Josephine's Modern American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (46)special occasion (38)great for outdoor dining (35)fit for foodies (32)romantic (29)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (7)good for groups (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- tarconDined on 11/15/2014Always great food, drinks and a very accomodating staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delish!IrinaDodeDined on 11/15/2014Was visiting from New York, stopped by for dinner. Great menu and attentive staff. Would repeat ;)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality from the time you step through the doorFlagGurlDined on 11/14/2014I have always heard about how great Josephine's was for the food, the atmosphere and service. My visit did not disappoint. Bart,our server, was awesome, friendly profession and knowledgeable about how the food was prepared and their ingredients. The house is just amazing with is old school charm with a wonderful vibe. We got to sit next to the fireplace, a often requested location. The food was amazing. we had the appetizer of Baklava Baked Brie, the main entrees were the Rosemary chicken and the Tenderloin medallions. Again consistently wonderful tasting, presentation was very nice and good size portions. We forced dessert (not really!!) It was a Apple cranberry with home-made cinnamon ice cream. Every bite of this entire meal was wonderful. I highly suggest Josephine's for a meal you will enjoy and never forget!Special Features:
- Josephines x 2quiteyummyDined on 11/1/2014This was our second time having dinner at Josephines and we enjoyed it as much as the first time. The food is wonderful and the menu eclectic enough for all everyone. My only neg comment are the servers - they tend to be rushed and disengaged with the customers. Also the soda gun was not working the night we were there and no attempt was made to run to the store and get tonic, club soda and the like. When I ran a restaurant, I would have done that for my customers. An easy fix I think.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good restaurant in Flagstaffnmpol52Dined on 10/27/2014We generally enjoyed our dining experience although some of the cuisine did not meet our expectations for fine dining. The ambinence was average - in an old home - needs some "buffing up". Most of the dishes were very good, although we were divided on the smoked chicken. One of the vegetable sides on our plates was roasted beets, but they were overlooked & tough - looked overheated and shriveled. The queso fondido as an appetizer was delicious, as were the zeppoles for dessert. The house salads were very fresh, and well dressed. Our server was gracious, friendly and polite, and service was prompt. All in all it was a favorable dining experience in a mountain, college town without many fine dining options.Special Features:
- Neat placeTomFDined on 10/25/2014We were very happy with our visit to Josephine's. The food was delicious and service outstanding.Special Features:
- JoeyDined on 10/24/2014Wok seared salmon with cranberry citrus glaze was excellent. Service was a little slow. Took a while for a waiter. Seemed everyone else was receiving food and drinks before us.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceCameronDined on 10/18/2014The restaurant is small but yet very personable and quaint. The aroma of food coming from kitchen was amazing! They have a very diverse wine list and the food on the menu was sure to satisfy everyone's palate. The service can be slow at times... specifically with beverages from the bar, but we had a great experience overall.Special Features:
- FoodieVIPDined on 10/12/2014Great restaurant. Had brunch/lunch at Josephine's The Zeppole are outstanding. So is the fried green tomato & smoked turkey sandwich!Special Features:
- average. .... very much NOT greatrhymmanDined on 10/10/2014To many tables packed into to small a space. The service was slow at best and the prices are crazy high for what you get. Not being a wine drinker I can not comment on that aspect but they seemed to have an excellent selection. Maybe they are better suited to be a wine bar than a romantic restaurant. The atmosphere was loud and frantic not exactly a relaxing or romantic evening. There are a lot of nicer quieter places here locally where you won't need a second mortgage to pay for dinner.
- Fabulous DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014This was our second occasion to eat here and it was as wonderful as the first time. Food was great, service was excellent! Will definitely come back again when we visit Flagstaff in December. One of our favorite places to eat when we come to town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad nightFineWineNDineDined on 10/4/2014They were running late due to a medical emergency, forgot we ordered salads, brought the wrong item to me and my wife's was way over cooked. They replaced her dish and it was very good. My steak was rare at most, I ordered med-rare. They comp'd dessert and it was great. Overall the evening was mediocre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!DannoDined on 9/27/2014We saw the reviews on-line and wanted to try Josephine's for Parent's Weekend at NAU! We were not disappointed! Everything was cooked to perfection! Great service! Excellent atmosphere! A little pricey but worth every dollar!Special Features:
- PinotPaulVIPDined on 9/3/2014Wonderful restaurant in a historic home. Very good food at reasonable prices. I'll go again next trip to Flagstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 StargatornavyDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding fine dinning with exceptional service. This was out 1st time dinning at Josephine's and it now is a most do each time we are in Flagstaff.Special Features:
- can't wait to go back!truereviewdudeDined on 8/28/2014I took a date here that I was meeting for the first time and had the Diablo shrimp Mac n' Cheese and it was incredible. I couldn't begin to describe the tastes in this dish! the whole place visually was the perfect setting for a first date and SHE absolutely love it, as did I. GO HERE! You will not regret it! I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous Meal and Service!LuvAmbianceDined on 8/26/2014Our first visit to Josephine's was a wonderfully delicious experience. My husband had the filet mignon which was tender and flavorful and I had the Alaskan salmon special which was cooked perfectly. The presentations were lovely. We shared the Limoncello cheesecake on a biscotti crust which was so good we even considered ordering another. Our server was attentive and helpful. The wine list was good and we liked the suggested pairings. We were a table for two in a romantic nook, but we noticed long tables with groups and families in the main dining area. We look forward to a return visit next time in Flagstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceeattoliveDined on 8/23/2014I had requested a table indoors for 2. When I arrived, I was told I would have to sit outside. It was cool and adjacent to the road and quite noisy. I was told they had two large parties and that is why I would have to sit outside. Then I order the chicken listed on the menu and was told they didn't have the item. The service was very slow and we were left to wait for the check for about 15 minutes even though I asked twice.
- Terrible experiencePeachesDined on 8/23/2014I was so looking forward to dinner on Saturday, Aug 23. It turned out to be a waste of a family meal and a huge disappointment. My daughter summed it up the best, "we should of gone to Red Lobster". So you know we had a terrible night. I have been to Josephine's a few times when visiting Flagstaff and use to think it was cute/charming, but now I have decided it is a musty, smelly old house. If you get one of the 2 or 3 nice tables maybe OK, but Josephine's tries to be fine dining without making the effort to treat their diners as important paying guests. We will NOT be returning to Josephine's. There are many other places in Flagstaff to enjoy a meal. And don't pretend to take reservations and then overbook.
- Service was badDisappointedDined on 8/23/2014I have been here a few times and it has always been excellent. This time, when we arrived, they did not have a table for us. We had made a reservation and the surprised me. We ended up sitting on the patio, with plastic curtains around us. Space the waiter did not introduce himself and he did not tell us the specials. The food was great and after this everything was fine. One other comment, the music was 60s and 70s soul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Keeps Getting BettersfwestDined on 8/23/2014Great food, service, outdoor dining with pet at our side. The Perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- MQuiDined on 8/18/2014The food and service is very good. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/18/2014We were visiting from out of town and had a wonderful meal! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Needs a few Tweaksluv2travelDined on 8/16/2014I ordered the flank steak. It was okay, but very chewy. The sauce was good. The menu description mentioned it came with potatoes, under the meat was a small portion of a very overcooked potato, barely edible. The salad I ordered was expensive and very small, nothing special. Overall, food not that good and overpriced. I had a great waiter, but then some other wait staff came by and one offered to bring bread but never returned? Also, food service was very slow, waited long times inbetween courses.Special Features:
- gluten free findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have dined at Josephine's on several occasions, they are quite accommodating for those of use with food related allergies. They are very helpful, can make recommendations and the staff is happy to relay information from the chefs to the wait staff. The food is always delicious, looks appetizing and wonderful on the plate. The staff is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing birthdayCODinerDined on 8/13/2014I chose this restaurant for a very special birthday dinner for my boyfriend, making the reservation through Open Table. While the food was very good, it was quite apparent when we arrived for our reservation that they didn't expect us, and certainly had not read my special request to be placed at a nice, quiet table, not on top of other diners. They quickly tried to put a table together for us in the corner of a big main room, which was just seating a large party of about 20 people. That would have ruined the whole experience for us. They told us they were full, so instead had us sit out on the front porch, which was nice as it didn't get too cold until the end of the meal. Disappointingly, my boyfriend's birthday was never acknowledged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fried green tomatoesJim7VIPDined on 8/13/2014I'm a sucker for fried green tomatoes and they go a v. good job with them here. I was not happy being charged $8 for a bloody mary that was $5 on the lunch menu. (Overhead the discussion between the bar tender and my waitress. Something about happy hour price....) I should have been charged $5. Not a big deal but it's the principle of the matter - charge what the menu says. Food was good. Service was good. All the folks were very pleasant. It's a competitive little restaurant scene in Flag. - to the restaurant folks - might want to keep that in mind.Special Features:
- A real gem in Flagstaff, AZctsteveDined on 8/12/2014Knowing nothing about the dining scene while staying the night in Flagstaff, AZ, my spouse and I were so surprised by the whole dining experience at Josephine's. Upon entering the turn-of-the-century single story house - first impression - funky, student, bare wood-topped tables, and thinking "fine dining?" - I was so very wrong. The evening was a joy and a delight. My Manhattan clam chowder was really authentic (ex New Yorker) and my Ahi tuna was truly superb - cooked perfectly - seared crust and (very) pink inside: perfect! with a savory cous-cous and a grated carrot, radish sprout + salad. The Osso Bucco is also not to be missed. Lighting and ambiance needs improvement, but importantly, the food really shines. Great service also.Special Features:
- Nice spotRickJKDined on 8/11/2014We dined here on our night in Flagstaff on 8-11-14 and it was a great pick! Nice food selections and wine list as well. We will be back!Special Features:
- josephines well worth a visitmmemVIPDined on 8/9/2014Good food. Service attentive even though the waiter was covering lots of territory. The Kalahari appetizer very tasty and fun to share. Salads both very fresh and tasty. Salmon slightly overcooked but well pedestrians accompanied otherwise. Flank steak was tasty. Shared the cloudless chocolate cake. It was slightly overcooked too should've been gooeyer in center and would've benefited from a vanilla ice cream with it. Enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just terrificFranDined on 8/2/2014Josephine's was recommended by a friend. What a terrific recommendation. Great food, Nice atmosphere, excellent service. Love a restaurant where you get asked promptly whether you want something to drink, and as soon as ordered, it quickly arrives. What a nice tone it sets for the evening. We're coming back!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedEatout2VIPDined on 8/2/2014We were out of towners and chose Josephine's based on other reviews to celebrate a birthday. We were greeted with smiles and the wait staff were amazing and treated our party of six memorably. The food was great and the prices were so reasonable for the level of quality and taste.Special Features:
- Great dinner spotLopezfamDined on 8/2/2014We have visited Flagstaff often but this was the first time at Josephine's. It is an adorable restaurant. It was pretty full but we had reservations and they sat us right away. They had a childrens menu - so even bigger plus. I had the beef medallions and they were delicious. My husband had the filet and he said it was pretty good, slightly underdone for his liking. Overall, we would go back and sit in the patio (it was raining the night we went) and try something different as everything looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!1BuonGustoBobVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had a fabulous dining experience at this restaurant 2 years ago, so when visiting Flagstaff this trip we wanted to return. What a disappointment. The food was below average, we both ordered the fresh salmon. Mine was cold and my wifes was terribly over cooked. The wine pour for the price was the cheapest we have encountered in a very long time. The waiter was OK, made some major mistakes but at least tried to make it right by removing the cost of the appetizer. The bottom line for us is the next time we visit Flagstaff, we will be searching for a different place for our dining experience. Such a shame, this place was really good the last time we ate there!
- The following 432 reviews are from the Josephine's Modern American Bistro reviews archive.
- good mealarobDined on 7/29/2014All around a good meal. Nothing crazy that jumps off the plate at you but it was a good meal. I would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchwellnessrnVIPDined on 7/27/2014Had brunch both on Saturday and Sunday here and it was excellent!. Great omelets that comes with flaky biscuits. The potatoes that come on the side were a little spicy for me but my husband loved them. Make sure you ask for the berry comfit, it is amazing! The french toast is good but I could have used 1 more slice, it comes with 1 1/2 slices of bread. Good coffee, great service. Nice patio seating but inside is nice too, very cozy. Neat old house.Special Features:
- Wine prices are far too highIHloverDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good, the flank steak is superb and one of the best I have ever had. Portions were a bit small for the price. The service was mediocre at best. They were not very busy and we had reservations yet had to wait to be seated and our waiter rushed off before we could order wine and we had to call him back. The wine is my biggest complaint really....the wine itself was excellent and we chose it because it was paired with the flank steak (Santa Julia Malbec... perfect fit) but when I got home and looked it up to order some more I realized I paid seven dollars for a quarter glass of wine that costs eleven dollars a bottle. TOTAL rip off on the wine costs so if you do go skip the wine. Would have been a great meal at $50, not $85
- My Favorite Flagstaff RestaurantEllieDined on 7/26/2014I love Josephine's American Bistro- the food is always fantastic, the staff top notch and I love the historical home it's located in. The garden area is terrific for outdoor dining!Special Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceR1200GSAVIPDined on 7/26/2014My wife and I were recommended Josephine's as the place to go "if we were ever in Flagstaff", we were not disappointed. I had the Bacon Wrapped Filet and she had the Tenderloin medallions and we both loved our meals. The service was truly outstanding and the suggested wines with our meals were great and this may sound tacky, but it was nice to be referred a wine that was not one of the most expensive on the menu. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- lunchScottsdaleVIPDined on 7/25/2014Josephines is nice place in Flagstaff for lunch as there are not many. I had at the seared tuna. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.