Josephine's Modern American Bistro
503 N Humphreys Street
Flagstaff, AZ 86001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Josephine's Modern American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephinesrestaurant.com/description.html
- Phone: 928-779-3400
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thurday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm -9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, American
- Executive Chef: Tony Cosentino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Josephine's Modern American Bistro
The Cosentino’s firmly believe in creating an exceptional fine dining experience through utilization of the finest ingredients available. The term ‘modern American’ is meant to reflect freedom from ethnic constraints. The restaurant menu features ingredients and techniques from many different cultures. Chef Tony uses the finest cheeses available such as Maytag blue cheese, Tillamook cheddar and Reggiano. No hydrogenated oils or margarine are used on the premise, only extra virgin olive oil and real butter. Local seasonal and organic produce is utilized whenever available. The menu is frequently updated to showcase the best produce and seafood the season has to offer. This also serves to keep things fresh while allowing the chef room for creative freedom. The wine list is continuously added to, in order to complement the menu to the fullest. Josephine’s also features a full bar with excellent cocktails, martinis and an extensive beer list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Josephine's Modern American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Flagstaff ›
Josephine's Modern American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (59)great for outdoor dining (58)special occasion (49)fit for foodies (45)romantic (42)notable wine list (21)great for brunch (19)great for lunch (13)good for groups (12)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)scenic view (3)Show More
- PinotPaulVIPDined on 9/3/2014Wonderful restaurant in a historic home. Very good food at reasonable prices. I'll go again next trip to Flagstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 5 StargatornavyDined on 8/31/2014Outstanding fine dinning with exceptional service. This was out 1st time dinning at Josephine's and it now is a most do each time we are in Flagstaff.Special Features:
- can't wait to go back!truereviewdudeDined on 8/28/2014I took a date here that I was meeting for the first time and had the Diablo shrimp Mac n' Cheese and it was incredible. I couldn't begin to describe the tastes in this dish! the whole place visually was the perfect setting for a first date and SHE absolutely love it, as did I. GO HERE! You will not regret it! I'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Fabulous Meal and Service!LuvAmbianceDined on 8/26/2014Our first visit to Josephine's was a wonderfully delicious experience. My husband had the filet mignon which was tender and flavorful and I had the Alaskan salmon special which was cooked perfectly. The presentations were lovely. We shared the Limoncello cheesecake on a biscotti crust which was so good we even considered ordering another. Our server was attentive and helpful. The wine list was good and we liked the suggested pairings. We were a table for two in a romantic nook, but we noticed long tables with groups and families in the main dining area. We look forward to a return visit next time in Flagstaff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceeattoliveDined on 8/23/2014I had requested a table indoors for 2. When I arrived, I was told I would have to sit outside. It was cool and adjacent to the road and quite noisy. I was told they had two large parties and that is why I would have to sit outside. Then I order the chicken listed on the menu and was told they didn't have the item. The service was very slow and we were left to wait for the check for about 15 minutes even though I asked twice.
- Terrible experiencePeachesDined on 8/23/2014I was so looking forward to dinner on Saturday, Aug 23. It turned out to be a waste of a family meal and a huge disappointment. My daughter summed it up the best, "we should of gone to Red Lobster". So you know we had a terrible night. I have been to Josephine's a few times when visiting Flagstaff and use to think it was cute/charming, but now I have decided it is a musty, smelly old house. If you get one of the 2 or 3 nice tables maybe OK, but Josephine's tries to be fine dining without making the effort to treat their diners as important paying guests. We will NOT be returning to Josephine's. There are many other places in Flagstaff to enjoy a meal. And don't pretend to take reservations and then overbook.
- Service was badDisappointedDined on 8/23/2014I have been here a few times and it has always been excellent. This time, when we arrived, they did not have a table for us. We had made a reservation and the surprised me. We ended up sitting on the patio, with plastic curtains around us. Space the waiter did not introduce himself and he did not tell us the specials. The food was great and after this everything was fine. One other comment, the music was 60s and 70s soul.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Keeps Getting BettersfwestDined on 8/23/2014Great food, service, outdoor dining with pet at our side. The Perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- MQuiDined on 8/18/2014The food and service is very good. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Excellent MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/18/2014We were visiting from out of town and had a wonderful meal! Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Needs a few Tweaksluv2travelDined on 8/16/2014I ordered the flank steak. It was okay, but very chewy. The sauce was good. The menu description mentioned it came with potatoes, under the meat was a small portion of a very overcooked potato, barely edible. The salad I ordered was expensive and very small, nothing special. Overall, food not that good and overpriced. I had a great waiter, but then some other wait staff came by and one offered to bring bread but never returned? Also, food service was very slow, waited long times inbetween courses.Special Features:
- gluten free findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We have dined at Josephine's on several occasions, they are quite accommodating for those of use with food related allergies. They are very helpful, can make recommendations and the staff is happy to relay information from the chefs to the wait staff. The food is always delicious, looks appetizing and wonderful on the plate. The staff is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing birthdayCODinerDined on 8/13/2014I chose this restaurant for a very special birthday dinner for my boyfriend, making the reservation through Open Table. While the food was very good, it was quite apparent when we arrived for our reservation that they didn't expect us, and certainly had not read my special request to be placed at a nice, quiet table, not on top of other diners. They quickly tried to put a table together for us in the corner of a big main room, which was just seating a large party of about 20 people. That would have ruined the whole experience for us. They told us they were full, so instead had us sit out on the front porch, which was nice as it didn't get too cold until the end of the meal. Disappointingly, my boyfriend's birthday was never acknowledged.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fried green tomatoesJim7VIPDined on 8/13/2014I'm a sucker for fried green tomatoes and they go a v. good job with them here. I was not happy being charged $8 for a bloody mary that was $5 on the lunch menu. (Overhead the discussion between the bar tender and my waitress. Something about happy hour price....) I should have been charged $5. Not a big deal but it's the principle of the matter - charge what the menu says. Food was good. Service was good. All the folks were very pleasant. It's a competitive little restaurant scene in Flag. - to the restaurant folks - might want to keep that in mind.Special Features:
- A real gem in Flagstaff, AZctsteveDined on 8/12/2014Knowing nothing about the dining scene while staying the night in Flagstaff, AZ, my spouse and I were so surprised by the whole dining experience at Josephine's. Upon entering the turn-of-the-century single story house - first impression - funky, student, bare wood-topped tables, and thinking "fine dining?" - I was so very wrong. The evening was a joy and a delight. My Manhattan clam chowder was really authentic (ex New Yorker) and my Ahi tuna was truly superb - cooked perfectly - seared crust and (very) pink inside: perfect! with a savory cous-cous and a grated carrot, radish sprout + salad. The Osso Bucco is also not to be missed. Lighting and ambiance needs improvement, but importantly, the food really shines. Great service also.Special Features:
- Nice spotRickJKDined on 8/11/2014We dined here on our night in Flagstaff on 8-11-14 and it was a great pick! Nice food selections and wine list as well. We will be back!Special Features:
- josephines well worth a visitmmemDined on 8/9/2014Good food. Service attentive even though the waiter was covering lots of territory. The Kalahari appetizer very tasty and fun to share. Salads both very fresh and tasty. Salmon slightly overcooked but well pedestrians accompanied otherwise. Flank steak was tasty. Shared the cloudless chocolate cake. It was slightly overcooked too should've been gooeyer in center and would've benefited from a vanilla ice cream with it. Enjoyable dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just terrificFranDined on 8/2/2014Josephine's was recommended by a friend. What a terrific recommendation. Great food, Nice atmosphere, excellent service. Love a restaurant where you get asked promptly whether you want something to drink, and as soon as ordered, it quickly arrives. What a nice tone it sets for the evening. We're coming back!Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprisedEatout2Dined on 8/2/2014We were out of towners and chose Josephine's based on other reviews to celebrate a birthday. We were greeted with smiles and the wait staff were amazing and treated our party of six memorably. The food was great and the prices were so reasonable for the level of quality and taste.Special Features:
- Great dinner spotLopezfamDined on 8/2/2014We have visited Flagstaff often but this was the first time at Josephine's. It is an adorable restaurant. It was pretty full but we had reservations and they sat us right away. They had a childrens menu - so even bigger plus. I had the beef medallions and they were delicious. My husband had the filet and he said it was pretty good, slightly underdone for his liking. Overall, we would go back and sit in the patio (it was raining the night we went) and try something different as everything looked great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a disappointment!1BuonGustoBobVIPDined on 7/31/2014We had a fabulous dining experience at this restaurant 2 years ago, so when visiting Flagstaff this trip we wanted to return. What a disappointment. The food was below average, we both ordered the fresh salmon. Mine was cold and my wifes was terribly over cooked. The wine pour for the price was the cheapest we have encountered in a very long time. The waiter was OK, made some major mistakes but at least tried to make it right by removing the cost of the appetizer. The bottom line for us is the next time we visit Flagstaff, we will be searching for a different place for our dining experience. Such a shame, this place was really good the last time we ate there!
- good mealarobDined on 7/29/2014All around a good meal. Nothing crazy that jumps off the plate at you but it was a good meal. I would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for BrunchwellnessrnVIPDined on 7/27/2014Had brunch both on Saturday and Sunday here and it was excellent!. Great omelets that comes with flaky biscuits. The potatoes that come on the side were a little spicy for me but my husband loved them. Make sure you ask for the berry comfit, it is amazing! The french toast is good but I could have used 1 more slice, it comes with 1 1/2 slices of bread. Good coffee, great service. Nice patio seating but inside is nice too, very cozy. Neat old house.Special Features:
- Wine prices are far too highIHloverDined on 7/26/2014The food was very good, the flank steak is superb and one of the best I have ever had. Portions were a bit small for the price. The service was mediocre at best. They were not very busy and we had reservations yet had to wait to be seated and our waiter rushed off before we could order wine and we had to call him back. The wine is my biggest complaint really....the wine itself was excellent and we chose it because it was paired with the flank steak (Santa Julia Malbec... perfect fit) but when I got home and looked it up to order some more I realized I paid seven dollars for a quarter glass of wine that costs eleven dollars a bottle. TOTAL rip off on the wine costs so if you do go skip the wine. Would have been a great meal at $50, not $85
- My Favorite Flagstaff RestaurantEllieDined on 7/26/2014I love Josephine's American Bistro- the food is always fantastic, the staff top notch and I love the historical home it's located in. The garden area is terrific for outdoor dining!Special Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceR1200GSADined on 7/26/2014My wife and I were recommended Josephine's as the place to go "if we were ever in Flagstaff", we were not disappointed. I had the Bacon Wrapped Filet and she had the Tenderloin medallions and we both loved our meals. The service was truly outstanding and the suggested wines with our meals were great and this may sound tacky, but it was nice to be referred a wine that was not one of the most expensive on the menu. Thank you for a lovely evening.Special Features:
- lunchScottsdaleVIPDined on 7/25/2014Josephines is nice place in Flagstaff for lunch as there are not many. I had at the seared tuna. Very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TeacozyScottsdaleVIPDined on 7/21/2014Very nice place for lunch in a Flagstaff. Great service. Good foodSpecial Features:
- Always a Top ChoicescottiecraigDined on 7/18/2014An attractive, multi room restaurant in an old stone home which features delightful outdoor dining in warmer weather. Very popular, not inexpensive. Lunch and dinner are served. Interesting menu choices-pork osso bucco, a halibut cheeks special, especially nice ahi. Always excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScubaJimDined on 7/17/2014We are here on the last night of a two week trip. Glad we saved the best for last. Service was Outstanding! The food was everything we were looking for and more. Next time we are in Flagstaff, we will be at Josephine's. Thanks for the end of trip delight.Special Features:
- Quaint & ComfortableJosephFINEDined on 7/15/2014Excellent menu and complementary wine list. Friendly and jocular staff make the experience enjoyable.Special Features:
- Special Night OutCactusDined on 7/11/2014Josephine's catered our son's wedding and we hosted their rehearsal dinner at the restaurant. SO DELICIOUS! We drove up from Scottsdale to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary, just the two of us. Just as delicious and in a lovely setting...their front yard on a beautiful July evening. The salads are different, unique combinations and all good. What can I say...it's all good. Go. It's a delightful experience.Special Features:
- Great foodjroushVIPDined on 7/7/2014The food and service was very good. Our waitress was very knowledgeable about the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good spot for dinnerJackVIPDined on 7/5/2014We picked a busy night to have dinner at Josephine's, and the staff seemed overwhelmed. The service seemed frantic, but overall they did a rather good job. Our salad and entrees were both very well prepared. We were visiting Flagstaff, so this was our first visit. I suspect they do a fantastic job when the restaurant is not as busy.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodJayhawkDined on 7/4/2014The food choices are interesting, well prepared, and attractively presented. Portion sizes are appropriate. The restaurant is beautiful and clean, and wait staff are friendly and knowledgable. Wonderful experience every time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely SurpriseDesertGirlDined on 7/3/2014We found this lovely restaurant while on a short visit to Flagstaff. We were looking for something different to celebrate a birthday dinner; something out of the ordinary. Josephine's is located in a quiet neighborhood in a former house. The dining room encompasses several small rooms giving a very quaint feel to the atmosphere. We had an 8:15 reservation on July 3rd so much of the crowd had thinned by that time. Our server was very friendly and attentive. Our food was delivered promptly. We had the crab cakes, the tenderloin medallions and the flank steak and all were delicious. Ambience, service and food all top notch for a very relaxing, happy dining experience!Special Features:
- Lovely eveningRockyDined on 6/30/2014Once again, Josephine's didn't disappoint. I had the entree crab cakes, (fabulous), hubby and another hubby had the Wedding relleno, and his wife had the flank steak, all great. Had a half-off coupon for a bottle of wine, so that made us happy campers as well. Anthony, our server, was efficient, funny, and made us feel welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RojoDined on 6/30/2014Good food and service. Hostess needs people skills trainingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch at JosephinesJoandFredVIPDined on 6/29/2014We went for Sunday Brunch and it was our first time there. We sat on the patio and it was lovely. Food was remarkable and the atmosphere so nice with a French musician singer. Looking forward to going to dinner at Josephine's soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This was an awful dining experienceMarilynVIPDined on 6/28/2014We waited 2 hours, yes, two hours, for a non spectacular meal. Awful serviceSpecial Features: