Joseph Ambler Inn
1005 Horsham Road
North Wales, PA 19454Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Joseph Ambler Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephamblerinn.com/
- Phone: (215) 362-7500x
- Hours of Operation:
***Please note that requests for outdoor dining on Friday and Saturday Nights may not be available until 6:30 or 7:00pm***
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lite Lunch Served in the Bar Only-Saturday and Sunday Noon-4:00PM-please call for reservations
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Blackney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant Weddings, Business Dinners, Rehearsal Dinners, Anniversaries & Birthdays, Holiday Parties, Intimate Fireside Receptions
- Private Party Contact: Wendi Terlecky 2155650139x
- Entertainment: Piano every Friday & Saturday Evening
A word from Joseph Ambler Inn
Tucked away on 12 acres of lawns & gardens, the Joseph Ambler Inn is the ideal setting for a truly exceptional dining experience. Featuring award winning contemporary American cuisine & an extensive wine list. The Dining room is located in the renovated stone barn & features hardwood floors, exposed stone walls, & historic ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Joseph Ambler Inn - Best Restaurants in North Wales ›
Joseph Ambler Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
90 reviews since April 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (61)special occasion (58)romantic (53)scenic view (40)fit for foodies (25)great for lunch (23)good for groups (21)neighborhood gem (21)notable wine list (16)great for brunch (15)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)hot spot (1)Show More
- Very ImpressedBhallDined on 8/16/2014I cannot believe I have lived so close to this restaurant for 27 years and I have never been here. The setting/scenery were beautiful. The bar was updated and had lots of windows to see the outdoors. Did not go into the dining room so I can't comment on that. We sat on the patio and it was very, very nice. Two of us had the chicken and risotto dish and it was amazing. The arugula salad was excellent also. My husband had the strip steak and said it was very good. The staff was very friendly and engaging. We had 2 bottles of the La Crema 2012 Pinot Noir - excellent. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer SizzleOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/16/2014We really lucked out with the weather on Saturday evening, which made our outside dining experience just that much better. Our waiter Kevin made us feel at home with his conversation and helpful menu selections. The food was spectacular! I took advantage of the prix fixe menu selection without disappointment, while my husband went for the Filet that melted in his mouth. We also got to witness a couple having some wedding photos taken on the lawn. Their happiness radiated throughout the Inn! I would highly recommend the Joseph Ambler for all your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for outside diningDressesForDinnerDined on 8/14/2014Great restaurant for when the weather allows you to sit outside. It rained the night that we were there, but the staff quickly pulled an awning over the tables and we were able to stay outside. Service was not slow, as some other diners have complained. Food is very good, a little pricey, though for what you get. All in all, while the weather holds, we'll be back!Special Features:
- SUNDAY NIGHT GEM!MerryVIPDined on 8/10/2014We go on Sunday evenings as you can BYOB w/ no corkage fees & dine outside which is lovely! We had just a light meal on the patio that was great - we had the tuna appetizer that is a 10++ and I had the arugula/peach salad that was good...some of the arugula was a bit tired looking...the other salad we had was the wedge and that was excellent. ***One suggestion - get citronella candles ~ the bees liked our food as much as we did...put out either table candles and/or torch's to keep the bugs away*** Looking forward to our next Sunday night at Jos Ambler Inn!Special Features:
- Best environment & food.GreenVIPDined on 8/5/2014I go here for lunch often. The view is peaceful and quiet. Have not found anything better. The food is always a foodies delight. The combinations of flavors, taste, quality, and presentation all are tops. Staff is almost always outstanding too.Special Features:
- Not what it use to beFoodcabDined on 8/3/2014We ate here on a Sunday night and this place certainly is not what it use to be. I got the tuna with bok choy. The bok choy was soggy and limp. The tuna was cold in the center, not just rare. The service was fine but a restaurant such as this should not be staffed with local high school students. Spend half the money and go downtown for a real meal!Special Features:
- AnneDined on 8/3/2014The scallops were wonderful and we loved the peach and arugula salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurants!BigTomDined on 8/2/2014Joseph Ambler Inn is one of my favorite restaurants. The food was excellent as always. This visit the service was a bit slow - hopefully this was a fluke and not a new trend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningLorbruDined on 7/31/2014We dined on the porch at the Inn on a lovely summer night...Thurs. evening, seafood special night. You could order from a small plate seafood menu or from their regular menu. We ordered from both and enjoyed all the food. Shrimp satay, crab cake -small plate and a delicious sesame tuna on brown rice and chilean sea bass on risotto from regular menu. The wine list was extensive and the wines of the day were very good and nicely priced. Had one of the best desserts...smores panna cotta, with graham cracker crust, chocolate panna cotta, and browned marshallow. It was just sweet anc chocolaty enough and crust was thick and tasty. The server was attentive without being annoying.Special Features:
- CathyDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I enjoyed it so much, we made reservations for Saturday evening.Special Features:
- lovely nightjulesDined on 7/26/2014Very good service.plenty of light. Great food and deliverd on time.pleasant atmosphere. Would go back waiter was very likeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A beautiful venue with great food!JandCDined on 7/25/2014We were able to enjoy wonderful outside dining with good food and friendly servers. The piano music from the inside area wafted just the right ambiance to our table and it was truly a spot for a romantic evening out.Special Features:
- Great food super slow servicePriyaDined on 7/25/2014The food to Joseph Ambler was really good and the view was really great. My boyfriend and I sat outside because it was a great day outside. The service however was extremely slow and our lunch took over 2 1/2 hours which is pretty ridiculous. We had to keep asking for our server and it took a great day and a surprise date to an excruciating wait. The food was good though.Special Features:
- Out Of?MLB52Dined on 7/19/2014My girlfriend and I were intrigued by one of the 2 offerings for a 3-course prix fixe meal. It was a fish that neither of us had ever heard of. We inquired of the server, who first explained about the fish, then told us they were out of it. He offered that most likely they would offer a different fish in its place. Moments later he returned, telling us that they would NOT allow a different fish in its place, and if we wanted the 3 course prix fixe, we would have no choice but to order the steak option; we don't eat meat. Thus, we were forced to switch to the more expensive a la carte options. By that time I had to force myself to not let this situation darken my mood.Special Features:
- Beautiful InnLongIslandLadyVIPDined on 7/17/2014This was a great place to dine. We also stayed overnight . The food was delicious. I had the price fixed. The scallop appetizer was delicious. My hubby enjoyed the shrimp cocktail. I had the fish and risotto. It was very tasty, moist not over cooked . My hubby enjoyed his sea scallops. We shared a chocolate cake dessert-also very good. An enjoyable meal experience .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kathy KFindersKeepersDined on 7/15/2014Your online reservations were perfect! I scheduled a last minute business meeting for a Supplier staying nearby at the Montgomeryville Stable Suites. (If you don't have shuttle service, you should). Your staff was superior, did not interrupt while our table was in discussion. Service was outstanding, and the meals were savory and visually appealing in presentation. My salmon was so delicious, kiddingly I requested a second helping as my dessert. JAI was my selection for location and past experience. Our daughter was married at your facility in 2009, it was the perfect venue. Thumbs up on the Stations, our guests are still raving!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- steak grizzly-beer too warmJerryDined on 7/13/2014The appetizer was fine. I think my lady friend enjoyed her entree. Our server was excellent, solicitous and very attentive. My entree, the steak that was part of the prix fix, was considerably below average. I asked for it medium/pink and it came out too well done. On top of that, about 1/3rd was grizzle which I could not eat.Special Features:
- Great anniversary dinnerChalfontMomDined on 7/12/2014The steaks were delicious! So nice to sit on the patio! It was our anniversary and although I noted that in the open table reservation, it was never acknowledged at the restaurant. Normally, the restaurants we go to always acknowledge a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJuranconDined on 7/12/2014Wonderful dining experience with great food. An amazing gem in Montgomery County.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- an oasis in a busy areaDonnaDined on 7/12/2014Over the years the property around Joseph Ambler Inn has been "uber" developed and yet the Inn grounds remain an oasis for a country setting in an otherwise suburban sprawl area. The service is excellent and the food is very good. The outdoor dining is beautiful but the indoor area is also very pretty. The piano player is wonderful and adds to the overall ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Birthday DinnerSusanjDined on 7/9/2014We were celebrating our daughter's and granddaughter's birthdays at the Joseph Ambler Inn. It is difficult to believe such a lovely, pastoral place exists in what is a busy, traffic-laden area. We visited only the restaurant but wished we could have toured all the buildings on this estate. Although we weren't using either, the Pub room and the outside dining area looked inviting also. We were a group of seven and the restaurant seated us in a small private room--it was just right. Lovely ambiance, the menu choices were varied and plentiful. All of our choices were delicious from appetizers to desserts and the service was wonderful. This was our first visit to Joseph Ambler but we will return.Special Features:
- Good food, not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Lovely venue, adequate food. We had out of town guests on a Monday evening and wanted to do something special with them. the restaurant was not very busy so we were disappointed in the unusually poor service at this upscale restaurant and a little embarrassed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday BargainDineandwineDined on 6/29/2014Food was very good. 3 course prefix was a bargain at $39. BYOW on Sunday was a bonus. Service was very friendly and competent. I have been here a number of times and while the food is not exotic, it is always well prepared and of high-quality.Special Features:
- Horsham BettyBettyDined on 6/25/2014We have had dinner here before but this was the first time I have been for a 'girls" lunch. Our luncheon on the patio was absolutely perfect. Our server, Megan, displayed a mix of friendliness and professionalism and the food was delightful. Our only complaint came from the person who ordered the lobster roll. She is a New Englander and faulted the use of an "improper" roll.Special Features:
- Seafood-less at Joseph Ambler InnTMS61Dined on 6/19/2014Last Thursday night was JAI Seafood night. My group of girlfriends and I went for a birthday celebration. By the time our table put our order in, they were out of seafood. We were surprised because the restaurant wasn't very crowded. Disappointed, we were told by the wait staff that they were embarrassed. I too was embarrassed, since this was my idea and the first visit for many of the girls. My husband and I go quite often and we always enjoy ourselves. Not this time though, very disappointing!!Special Features:
- delightedDined on 6/16/2014Excellent! Food was outstanding, service very, very good, ambiance beautiful. We think this is one of the best place in this area.Special Features:
- Beautiful Patio/Great FoodfoodsnobDined on 6/15/2014The Chilean Sea Bass came with Crab and pea risotto....both were excellent! Cooked perfectly. The Filet was excellent! The Lamb, also excellent and comes with a delicious gratin that we all fought over getting the last bite. The smoked salmon bruschetta, so good. We eat here very often and have never been disappointed. Best "fine food" in the area and a beautiful atmosphere. Great for lunch, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor experience but will try againdaveDined on 6/15/2014My wife and I have eaten at JAI many times in the past with always a pleasant experience. We ate there on Father's Day with my parents, sister and niece. What started out as a pleasant dinner deteriorated as the evening progressed. The server forgot my appetizer which was not noticed until I spoke up. Fortunately I order oysters on the half shell so I received them in less than 10 minutes. The entrees were served and my entrée did not appear. I spoke up again and my seared scallops arrived in about 10 minutes. My sister's fillet was cooked to medium well when ordered at medium rare. My wife's grilled tuna was medium well instead of the medium she ordered. The server was polite and did not charge for any of my meal or my sister's dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Father's Day BrunchJASlovesgooddiningDined on 6/15/2014We wanted something special in eastern Montg. Co. for a family Father's Day and anniversary brunch. The outdoor dining at Joseph Ambler Inn with its lovely lawn and flowers fit the bill perfectly. The menu selection of brunch and lunch items offered something for each person's tastes, and we all felt that our first course, main course and dessert were excellent. The price of $29.95 per person for 3 courses is not inexpensive, but especially for a special occasion we felt it was well worth it. Our server was friendly and helpful, although she became busy with other groups. We will return and recommend Joseph Ambler Inn to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AnitaanitaDined on 6/12/2014Good food, service and ambience great, however, too priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JAI ShinesOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014I treated house guests to dinner at the Jos Ambler Inn in Montgomeryville and I was not disappointed with the meal nor the service. Our steaks were done to perfection (in fact my friend was raving about his filet mignon for the the next two days.) and his wife said that the salmon was excellent. There were sufficient quantity for them to bring back to the house for lunch the following day. My friends wife at the lunch table said that the Jos Ambler Inn salmon was "a gift that keeps on giving." What an accolade. The service was courteous and prompt, by both the waitress and bus boy. As a host, it was a pleasure to see my friends so pleased by the meal and service at JAI.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live Local But Just Found This GemBucksCountyDinerDined on 6/3/2014We live locally but only had heard of this place for corporate events. Our loss! Great food, awesome ambiance, and setting. Two things of note....HUGE portions and the Price Fixed $25 Lunch was a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A nice quiet dinnerShehatespepperDined on 6/2/2014Went to dinner early on a warm early June night for our anniversary. Sat outside. Service was great. The Chilean Sea Bass and the filet were both wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the sameDANnyVIPDined on 5/17/2014I guess I am on a bad roll.... .. I will send a PM to the JAI.... 4 people $400...shodl have gone elsewhere... have dined here for 23 years, but things have changed
- Nice BYOB OptionSams1stUncleDined on 5/16/2014Joseph Ambler Inn continues to provide good food in a nice relaxed country setting without requiring a more distant drive. Although not unwarranted, the prices are on the high side especially if you enjoy three or four courses and drinks. On select evenings JAI does offer a BYOB option which allows you to enjoy a special bottle or keep the total bill a little lower. This option is only available a couple of nights a week, so check in advance to avoid any issues. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Really lovely place with great foodSusyDined on 5/16/2014This place is a true gem. I stayed there while visiting my mother who was in a nearby nursing home. The restaurant is outstanding and the staff is terrific. But the most appealing thing is the incredibly beautiful setting that houses the six historic buildings including the barn where the restaurant is. A very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but priceyfood44Dined on 5/11/2014Family of four attended for Mother's Day mid-afternoon sitting. Buffet was pretty good. Lots of choices, most of it well flavored and seasoned. Some wasn't quite hot enough. Definitely overpriced, though. $42 an $17, adults and kids. But for a once-in-awhile occasion, not bad I guess.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Find!SDoc51Dined on 5/11/2014Enjoyed a wonderful Mother's Day Brunch here. We were able to obtain a table outside on their patio and enjoy the beautiful surroundings on a gorgeous Sunday afternoon. The buffet had everything you look forward to at Brunch. It was all delicious. We took our time between courses. Our server was there when needed to take our drink orders, refill water and remove our plates. All five of us had never been there before and we all agreed that we would come back and recommend to our friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love JAIOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014What a nice Mother's Day! I loved the brunch spread! My family enjoyed it too!Special Features:
- Beautiful Ambiance but...Out2eat678Dined on 5/11/2014This was not the best brunch. We went for Mother's Day and were disappointed with the food - especially for the price. We have had nicer brunch for less at other restaurants. The whole family felt the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.