Joseph Ambler Inn
1005 Horsham Road
North Wales, PA 19454Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Joseph Ambler Inn
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.josephamblerinn.com/
- Phone: (215) 362-7500
- Hours of Operation:
***Please note that requests for outdoor dining on Friday and Saturday Nights may not be available until 6:30 or 7:00pm***
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:30pm
Lite Lunch Served in the Bar Only-Saturday and Sunday Noon-4:00PM-please call for reservations
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Blackney
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Elegant Weddings, Business Dinners, Rehearsal Dinners, Anniversaries & Birthdays, Holiday Parties, Intimate Fireside Receptions
- Private Party Contact: Wendi Terlecky 2155650139x
- Entertainment: Piano every Friday & Saturday Evening
A word from Joseph Ambler Inn
Tucked away on 12 acres of lawns & gardens, the Joseph Ambler Inn is the ideal setting for a truly exceptional dining experience. Featuring award winning contemporary American cuisine & an extensive wine list. The Dining room is located in the renovated stone barn & features hardwood floors, exposed stone walls, & historic ambiance.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Joseph Ambler Inn - Best Restaurants in North Wales ›
Joseph Ambler Inn reviews from OpenTable diners
91 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (60)romantic (50)great for outdoor dining (43)scenic view (31)good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (29)fit for foodies (29)notable wine list (21)great for lunch (19)great for brunch (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)hot spot (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Good food, great service. Nice atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2014Got a living social gift certfiicate to try this place. I'd had been there but my husband had not. Great wine selection, great food, nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Din DinNomNoms26Dined on 11/22/2014Food was okay but for the price, I'd expect a LOT more. $32 for 3 scallops and some veges are a bit absurd. The overall room was FREEZING. I was freezing the whole meal and wanted to put my jacket on and eat my dinner but it wouldn't be comfortable. Guess I have to bundle up next time, if there is a next time.
- Our out-of-town treatcarolngeorgeVIPDined on 11/20/2014We always enjoy a meal at JAI, considering a country spot different from our usual Philadelphia restaurants. We often have an "excuse" like a birthday or anniversary, since it's quite a costly meal and we don't splurge often. Thursday night's dinner was quite excellent -- EXCEPT -- food was not hot enough when it came to the table -- the portobello appetizer, the monkfish and the scallops. Perhaps the server was overworked, and couldn't get our food soon enough after its preparation? We often go for lunch, when demands are lighter. We're likely to go back, and always look forward to being at JAI, in large part for its ambience. We can get lots of similarly good food at a similar price in our city!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/20/2014The food was terrific. A wonderful experience. The ambiance itself was pleasing and comfortable. Our only complaint was that the table area at which we were seated was cold. It was early (about 5:40pm) so maybe the heat had not kicked on yet but when I reached out and felt the wall which we sat next to it was extremely cold. We did of course, ask for another table which the server was very responsive to. The remainder of the evening was enjoyable and we departed after our meal with good memories and happy tummies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet atmosphere, good foodALFM2082VIPDined on 11/17/2014Very conducive to conversation and quiet atmosphere. I did find the temperature in the dining room too cold but otherwise a good experience. Service was prompt and courteous. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prcsac11VIPDined on 11/15/2014Good food. Nice looking place. Nice choices of food.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2014It was my husband and I first time at Joseph Ambler. We went there for his birthday. From the time we were greeted it was great all around. The food and service were impeccable and we will return! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food and friendly service.JoeRocketDined on 11/14/2014Romantic ambiance with low lighting. Staff were very friendly and attentive. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Dada1VIPDined on 11/8/2014We have been going her for years. The ambiance is very nice, the bar scene is really quaint. The service on this visit was very very slow. Took a very long time to get a drink at the bar and our dinner (for 4) started at 7:30 and took until 11. It was not all that busy but the servers were new and their attitude a bit too casual.Special Features:
- A good deal!TOTfromBucksDined on 11/8/2014We were prepared for an expensive evening, but soon found their prix fixe menu and were delighted!! The meals were wonderful. We will be back.Special Features:
- Live2EatDined on 11/8/2014Wonderful service, Michelin-star-quality food at reasonable prices, and great ambiance makes this restaurant/inn a hidden suburban treasure. Highly recommended. Suitable for everything from a romantic dinner for two to a celebration for 20 in one of their private rooms.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningTZM215Dined on 11/7/2014After driving past it for many years, finally dined at the Joseph Ambler Inn. It was a wonderful traditional grown-up dining experience. The piano player made for great background music and the decor was soothing and charming. Food was incredibly delicious and fancy. We enjoyed the baked brie appetizer along with Chilean Sea Bass and seafood Pappardelle entrees. The bar area looked great and something that I plan a return visit to. Although it was dark when we arrived, the grounds looked really charming. It appears as though there is a lot of outdoor patio seating. I now can't wait for spring!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/7/2014First time here. Very Good. Wasn't crazy about the small room we were in, but next time will ask to be in main dining area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBunkyVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was excellent, the service was great, but Kevin our waiter was the best part of the night!Special Features:
- Better than expectedAnnetteDined on 10/24/2014We went with a living social coupon and I didn't know what to expect after reading the reviews that ran from great to worn! We thought our food was very good, service was very attentive, prices and wine list a tad expensive but overall the experience was great and we would go back (with another group on or another deal).Special Features:
- GreatMiasstar79Dined on 10/19/2014Really awesome food, great service and beautiful setting! I had the sea bass and my husband had the rack of lamb! Out of this world, Classic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic foodromanticDined on 10/16/2014My husband and I celebrated our ten year anniversary there. We were married there too! Food was superb. Husband had the price-fixed menu - porterhouse steak. ($39) The veggies were picture perfect. I had Scallops which were yummy. Glad to see that the tables in the ballroom were changed from square table to round table style.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Pefect Evening!cobweb69Dined on 9/27/2014We sat outside on the stone patio which was covered by an arbor and looked out on rolling green lawn. Though this restaurant is just off Horsham Road - no traffic sounds. The food was delicious and the waiter just attentive enough to know we wanted lots of time to sit and chat. One funny thing happened. When the bus boy came around, asked my friend if she wanted water, she said no, but he poured it anyway. He was on automatic pilot!Special Features:
- Nice, but...EdGrivnerDined on 9/20/2014The JAI is a great place to celebrate any special occasion and has been a love of mine for years, but there are several things that a newbie to the restaurant should know. The service is slow. Not that it is a bad thing, just be prepared to be there a while. Our server got caught up in conversations all night. The food is delicious and there is nothing is bad thing on the menu, however, please be prepared to pay premium prices. Most appetizers are $10+ and entrees are in the $30 range. Desserts are priced pretty fairly. The bottle wine prices are out the roof. It's cheaper to order a glass or two of wine than drop the coin on a bottle of wine. If you are interested in ordering beer be prepared to only be offered mass produced beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JandCJandCDined on 9/19/2014We love this place - especially for the atmosphere and location; very romantic! It's also a great touch to have live piano music on the weekends! Service tends to be a bit on the slow side but the rest is fabulous....Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and service. Accommodations for special requests appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our Favorites!BlytheDined on 9/8/2014This place never disappoints! It is one of our top 5 restaurants in Bucks County for a special occasion. The food is wonderful. LOVE the Veal Cheeks! The service is very good and the ambiance is lovely. We just went for my birthday, on a Monday evening, and were seating in a private room and treated wonderfully. I highly recommend this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WRWdiningDined on 9/7/2014The food was superb. The service was great and a wonderful ambiance. A great all around experience.Special Features:
- Joseph Ambler Inn needs facelift..dining4funDined on 9/6/2014The Joseph Ambler Inn was a little disappointing considering some of the reviews I've read. The interior is outdated. Old ceiling tiles, the pictures on the walls looked like something I would see at a diner. The table was not very inviting....no fresh flowers and the candle was fake! I'm paying the prices of a high end restaurant so I would expect something a little more classy. The bread was good but had too many spices in it. Entree was very good. Dessert was not great..got a very dry and I believe overbaked banana cheesecake. Something like that should be very, very creamy. So, after paying $150.00 for two, the dining experience there should have been impeccable but instead a thumb's down!Special Features:
- Mostly nice experienceMar78Dined on 9/5/2014We liked everything about our experience except that they do not seem to be as attuned to someone who is gluten free. I indicated that one of us is gluten free. When the great-looking bread was placed at out table, I thought the waitress would mention it is not gluten-free bread, ( It is common knowledge that gluten-free breads are available in some restaurants.) Some more aware restaurants are putting an asterisk next to gluten-free items on their menus. Our nice waitress said they could adjust some entrees to make them gluten free but the process could be made easier. the food was outstanding. The peas appeared to be hand-shelled, which was a first for me in a restaurant! : ) I loved the live piano music, too!Special Features:
- Very enjoyable eveningNotSoHiDined on 8/30/2014We sat outside on a lovely evening overlooking the grounds ... woderful relaxing atmosphere! The food was excellent. The starters we had (arugala salad and clam dish) were fabulous and were well accompanied by the olive bread. The Chilean Sea bass dinner was to die for! Really, really good!Special Features:
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Great service, good food. Enjoy a bottle of Wine and the atmosphere, we never felt rushed and had a great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- breathtakingKentuckysgirlDined on 8/23/2014Right off the highway, this gem is not hidden, but while on the grounds you forget that you are so close to all the trappings of the city. The Joseph Amber Inn was more than I could have ever expected. The bar and the restaurant staff were phenomenal, very friendly, and accommodating, they made our stay that much more enjoyably! My fiance and I had a spectacular time.Special Features:
- JAI should be on everyones list!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/18/2014JAI made it a great and memorable 24th wedding anniversary dining experience.Special Features:
- Very ImpressedBhallDined on 8/16/2014I cannot believe I have lived so close to this restaurant for 27 years and I have never been here. The setting/scenery were beautiful. The bar was updated and had lots of windows to see the outdoors. Did not go into the dining room so I can't comment on that. We sat on the patio and it was very, very nice. Two of us had the chicken and risotto dish and it was amazing. The arugula salad was excellent also. My husband had the strip steak and said it was very good. The staff was very friendly and engaging. We had 2 bottles of the La Crema 2012 Pinot Noir - excellent. Will definitely be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summer SizzleLisaDined on 8/16/2014We really lucked out with the weather on Saturday evening, which made our outside dining experience just that much better. Our waiter Kevin made us feel at home with his conversation and helpful menu selections. The food was spectacular! I took advantage of the prix fixe menu selection without disappointment, while my husband went for the Filet that melted in his mouth. We also got to witness a couple having some wedding photos taken on the lawn. Their happiness radiated throughout the Inn! I would highly recommend the Joseph Ambler for all your needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for outside diningDressesForDinnerDined on 8/14/2014Great restaurant for when the weather allows you to sit outside. It rained the night that we were there, but the staff quickly pulled an awning over the tables and we were able to stay outside. Service was not slow, as some other diners have complained. Food is very good, a little pricey, though for what you get. All in all, while the weather holds, we'll be back!Special Features:
- SUNDAY NIGHT GEM!MerryVIPDined on 8/10/2014We go on Sunday evenings as you can BYOB w/ no corkage fees & dine outside which is lovely! We had just a light meal on the patio that was great - we had the tuna appetizer that is a 10++ and I had the arugula/peach salad that was good...some of the arugula was a bit tired looking...the other salad we had was the wedge and that was excellent. ***One suggestion - get citronella candles ~ the bees liked our food as much as we did...put out either table candles and/or torch's to keep the bugs away*** Looking forward to our next Sunday night at Jos Ambler Inn!Special Features:
- Best environment & food.GreenVIPDined on 8/5/2014I go here for lunch often. The view is peaceful and quiet. Have not found anything better. The food is always a foodies delight. The combinations of flavors, taste, quality, and presentation all are tops. Staff is almost always outstanding too.Special Features:
- Not what it use to beFoodcabDined on 8/3/2014We ate here on a Sunday night and this place certainly is not what it use to be. I got the tuna with bok choy. The bok choy was soggy and limp. The tuna was cold in the center, not just rare. The service was fine but a restaurant such as this should not be staffed with local high school students. Spend half the money and go downtown for a real meal!Special Features:
- AnneDined on 8/3/2014The scallops were wonderful and we loved the peach and arugula salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my favorite restaurants!BigTomDined on 8/2/2014Joseph Ambler Inn is one of my favorite restaurants. The food was excellent as always. This visit the service was a bit slow - hopefully this was a fluke and not a new trend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely EveningLorbruDined on 7/31/2014We dined on the porch at the Inn on a lovely summer night...Thurs. evening, seafood special night. You could order from a small plate seafood menu or from their regular menu. We ordered from both and enjoyed all the food. Shrimp satay, crab cake -small plate and a delicious sesame tuna on brown rice and chilean sea bass on risotto from regular menu. The wine list was extensive and the wines of the day were very good and nicely priced. Had one of the best desserts...smores panna cotta, with graham cracker crust, chocolate panna cotta, and browned marshallow. It was just sweet anc chocolaty enough and crust was thick and tasty. The server was attentive without being annoying.Special Features:
- The following 473 reviews are from the Joseph Ambler Inn reviews archive.
- CathyDined on 7/31/2014My friend and I enjoyed it so much, we made reservations for Saturday evening.Special Features:
- lovely nightjulesDined on 7/26/2014Very good service.plenty of light. Great food and deliverd on time.pleasant atmosphere. Would go back waiter was very likeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.