Jo's American Bistro
24 Memorial Blvd West
Newport, RI 02840Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Jo's American Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://josamericanbistro.com/
- Phone: 4018475506x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:00pm Sunday - Thursday, 5:00pm - 10:30pm Friday & Saturday
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday noon-3:30
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matthew Preble
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Jo's American Bistro
A fresh take on American cuisine using the finest ingredients served in an upscale setting with a casual and friendly atmosphere. Our chef uses locally sourced seafood and produce whenever possible and serves meats which are free of hormones and antibiotics.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Jo's American Bistro - Best Restaurants in Newport ›
Jo's American Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
108 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (68)fit for foodies (50)great for outdoor dining (48)special occasion (32)romantic (31)good for groups (17)kid-friendly (11)notable wine list (9)late-night find (7)hot spot (6)great for lunch (6)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for brunch (2)Show More
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014Overall wonderful experience from start to finish. Wonderful staff and excellent entree. Highly recommend. Make reservations!Special Features:
- All around outstanding restaurant!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/19/2014I live locally and was not familiar with this restaurant. I took a chance and made reservations for my anniversary. My boyfriend and I were extremely impressed. Not only was the ambiance and atmosphere lovely, our waitress was very accommodating, and the food was fantastic. We will definitely be going there again and will recommend this restaurant to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding MealOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I had our first visit to Jo's American Bistro this week, and it was a pleasant surprise. We went to Jo's on a recommendation of friends who had recently dined there. Our waitress arranged a "not exactly on the menu"option for my wife, a chicken and pasta dish, and I had perfectly cooked and tasty salmon served with couscous. The wine list was not extensive, but the selections were good value and adequate. Service was superb. Would highly recommend a trip to Jo's.Special Features:
- Terrific food, service and decorcherieeeDined on 9/7/2014We miss Puerini's but this restaurant is a nice addition to Newport. The food, service and décor are well above average. Prices are about what you would expect in a restaurant of this quality and there are dinner specials part of the week making it very affordable.Special Features:
- Very Good Experiencemarshside01Dined on 9/5/2014We dined at Jo's on a Friday nite. Weather was ideal. Second floor outdoor area above the street level was perfect. Food was very good, wine as well. Somewhat limited menu but also offered dinner specials. Service was knowledgeable, prompt and pleasant. Overall a very good experience and would recommend.Special Features:
- FantasticToneDoggDined on 9/3/2014Service was terrific, outside dining was quaint, food was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnercherieeeDined on 9/1/2014Everything was delicious, beautiful interior with some outside seating. The quality of the food is higher than most restaurants for the price.Special Features:
- Away from the Madding CrowdReinsureregVIPDined on 8/31/2014Up the hill from the usual tourist haunts, Jo's upscale casual menu and waitstaff are a refreshing change from the overpriced marginality one finds down the hill along the piers in Newport.Special Features:
- Great place for dinnerAnneVIPDined on 8/31/2014We picked this place off OpenTable while touristing in Newport based on very little information but we were very happy about the choice. Everyone had clean plates and full bellies. 3 of us did the pix fix dinners which were delicious and great values. Service was great - though that might have had something to do with the fact that they were less than 50% full while we were there.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to go back!!!!!!luv2gooutDined on 8/24/2014The ambience of Jo's American Bistro is very impressive. The decor is one of the nicest we have seen. The warm colors and soft lighting instantly set the tone for a lovely dinner. Our waitress was friendly and helpful, suggesting popular appetizers and wine that complemented our meals. Dinner was outstanding, fresh and delicious! Jo's is definitely top on our list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Close but no cigarRIJohnnyDined on 8/23/2014Went with my family Sat pm. Sat outside- was nice setting. No wait staff stopped over for over 10 mins. Went to the hostess....finally a waiter came. Ordered wine and dinner. After 25 mins still no dinner. Never mentioned that a big party was upstairs. Food was cool when finally arrived. Very disappointed. Could have been a great place. Off the list!
- Great, but could've been better!luv2dineVIPDined on 8/21/2014Enjoyed a wonderful evening at the Bistro with my wife choosing a pasta entree while I went with the surf and turf special. Although very tasty, the chef overcooked the steak leaving me to struggle with a well done filet minion vice one cooked to medium rare as ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great addition to NewportAlexVIPDined on 8/19/2014We've been disappointed in our dining choices in the past few years places long standing were probably so because of guest turnover. This restaurAnt is a great addition in that it provides a wonderful menu for adults and children's options that go beyond chicken fingers and Mac and cheese. My sin had a smaller version of the excellent fish and chips that I had and loved it. They were also sensitive to allergy concerns. Well definitely recommend abs return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousSabrinaDined on 8/17/2014Dining here is truly a fantastic experience. It was one of the best meals I have ever and at a restaurant, and the prices are very fair for Newport. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- LvmcDined on 8/17/2014Nice atmosphere and location when visiting Newport. The service at the bar was a bit slow and there was only 6 of us sitting there. Food is good and has a variety of prices.Special Features:
- Friendly, inviting, comfortableTylerDined on 8/17/2014First time at Jo's and definitely won't be my last. Was recommended by other industry professionals in Newport and was not disappointed. Jimmy greeted my family and I warmly at the door and set us up with a great table on the outdoor patio right on Memorial Blvd. Server was attentive but not intrusive. Special Caprese salad was a perfect dish for a warm summer night and pre-fixe menu was a nicely valued option that both my guests enjoyed. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NewporterDined on 8/17/2014Easy walk from the harbor for a quiet dinner away from the crowd. Second floor deck was a nice break from the air conditioned competition. Everyone's meal was great, just the right amount of food and the prix fixed was good deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentLocalDined on 8/16/2014Off the main strip so not overly crowded. Food was excellent. Had a steak and lobster roll. Best lobster roll ever on homemade bread. Steak was great too! The locals eat here so you know it is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014Tried this restaurant on a very busy Saturday night in August. Lovely decor. Nice wine list. Nice selection of appetizers. We had the littlenecks and sausage in a butter wine broth. Delish ! Not the usual entrees.We had the scallops on a nice bed of seasonal roasted veggies with a tomato jam. Perfectly cooked. Nice to try someplace different. Great food, great service ! We will definitely make it a regular place to dine in Newport. I have already recommended it to friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Attentive service; food is sophisticated but still familiarI would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Niceneve1073Dined on 8/15/2014We dined out doors (they only have a few outdoor tables. The food was fantastic and we had a great time over a nice long dinner. The wait staff was very attentive without being overbearing-- showing up just when needed.Special Features:
- Delightful!TrixieDined on 8/9/2014An excellent experience with wonderful food and service. Biggest martinit I have ever seen!Special Features:
- Great dinnerinsidepitchDined on 8/2/2014Food was excellent...wait staff very attentive...the owner "Jo" stopped by each table and greeted everyone and asks how everything was.Special Features:
- We all loved it!robing2748Dined on 8/2/2014In town for our 11th year of great Jazz. We and our friends had never been there before. Food, service, all great!! The ambience was energetic but not so loud that you couldn't have a great conversation. We'll be back next year!!Special Features:
- Jo's American BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/2/2014Food was outstanding. Wait service was good. My only comment is that it was noisy and not recommended for quiet conversation. However, I would go back again but request a quieter area of the restaurant.Special Features:
- Back againmiloDined on 7/31/2014Wife took me here for my birthday, enjoyed it so much we came back a few weeks later for her. Food, service, ambiance are all excellent. We have mentioned this to a number of our friends and we will be back again in a few weeks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice addition to NewportRIresidentDined on 7/31/2014Jo's is a nice addition to Newport's dining scene. We went during the week and it's was not too busy and best of all, a great place to eat and have a conversation away from the summer crowd. The outdoor space is nothing special but the interior is very nice indeed. I imagine we will be heading back as the days draw shorter.Special Features:
- GoodDiwDDined on 7/26/2014Everything worked out without a hitch. Good food. I'll give this five stars, but I'm not a foodie so take my review for what it is.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not disappoint!IndyfanDined on 7/26/2014We had high expectations given the reviews online and we very pleased. Our waitress was personable, knowledgeable and friendly. The menu was great and the pace of the meal was perfect. An easy walk from the waterfront area, it was a bit away from what we consider the main tourist area (a good thing). Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood FindlisaDined on 7/19/2014We decided to try this restaurant even though it was not in the main area of town. We couldn't have been more pleased. The food, service, and ambiance were outstanding. The staff was friendly and knowledgable. Will definitely return in the future.Special Features:
- First time, planning to return.miloDined on 7/16/2014This was our first time at Jo's, my wife took me for my birthday and thoroughly enjoyed it all. Food, ambiance, service, which was outstanding and an all around very pleasant experience. My wife's birthday is coming up in a few weeks and we plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always goodCLNYVIPDined on 7/16/2014as usual, food and service were great. I really enjoyed the Veal T-Bone, one of the best i have ever hadSpecial Features:
- Great service & food in NewportBigMFGVIPDined on 7/14/2014We went to Jo's for dinner on a Monday night. We were warmly greeted and seated immediately. The server was very attentive and personal. The Caesar salad was great. Fresh green lettuce and and very good size. The scallops were over cooked and I made mention of that to the sever. She immediately apologized and took them back to the kitchen. I then had a visit from the food and beverage manager who asked if I wanted them redone or a different dish. I said I would like them redone. The new dish come back promptly and perfectly cooked. I then had a visit from the manager, the food and beverage manager and of course the server. I would come back here's again. Service is the best I have had in a long time and the food is very good.Special Features:
- Great food and servicecapevisitorDined on 7/12/2014A good find away near the center but away from crazy Thames Street. Nice to sit outside. Very good food and very attentive service. Nice decor inside- the decor on the deck outside is a bit uninspired.Special Features:
- Delicious food, OUTSTANDING serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/11/2014The food and drink alone wouldve made this place good enough to rave about, but our server was really just amazing and made the experience all the more better. Loved the Pink Flamingo cocktail...Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very pleasant dinnerGBfromNYVIPDined on 7/10/2014We ate here recently on a ThirsdY. Ought and it was a very pleSNt dinner. The food was good although my wife's salmon needed a bit more time on the grill which they took care of immediately. One drawback to the service was that the wIt person disappeared for long periods. When she was present she was great but there were long intervals. My other general requeT is that restUrNts shod ask if you prefer indoor or outdoor seatingI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & servicesrgolubDined on 7/9/2014Was in Newport for a couple of days with the family and saw this place was well reviewed so decided to try it out. Great decision. Food was excellent, portions were very generous and service was attentive but not overbearing. Additionally, both my daughters have food allergies and the staff and manager were very accommodating and made sure everything they were served was safe. A really great dining experience.Special Features:
- Very Nice Neighborhood RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014Casual, quaint, clean, new and very nice restaurant. Does not have a very long menu, but something for everyone who is looking for the Americana-type selection. Beautiful new flooring, bar and interior and has only been there for one year. We had a very nice server and my tuna was delicious. My husband was not as fond of his steak, but we still enjoyed our dinner. Hummus appetizer was delicious!Special Features:
- Great first experiencehappydiner1VIPDined on 7/5/2014First time here-will definitely return. Great service and food very accomadating. Pretty place indoor/outdoor dining. 22 Bowens must of been sorry to loose these former staff members!Special Features:
- DelishOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/5/2014Great food in Newport. Second trip as we are from New York. Food is great staff attentive. We were there opening day last year and happy to be able to eat there again. Took my food allergies seriously. Had the lobster salad on the most delicious home made brioche bread. Definitely will be coming back for years to comeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.