Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe
1722 Routh Street
Dallas, TX 75219Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jorgestexmex.com/
- Phone: (214) 720-2211
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Wed. 11a-8p Thur-Sat 11a-11p Sun 11a-7p
THUR-SAT Bar open till midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jorge A. Veloz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will customize any menu to forfill your catering needs. Please contact our General Manager Juan Torres at email@example.com or
214-720-2211. Also be sure to check out our catering menu online at jorgestexmex.com
- Private Party Facilities: We have a 17 person private room which includes a tv. Perfect room for meetings, power point presentations and or birthday parties and showers.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Mireles 2147202211x
- Special Events: WEEKEND BRUNCH-Sat&Sun 11a-4p $1 mimosas!
HAPPY HOUR Mon-Fri 2-6!
$5 MARGARITA MONDAYS! All day (expect top shelf) Monday's are made for Jorge's house made margaritas
1/2 off all day WINE bottles on Tuesdays
A word from Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe
This family-owned and operated restaurant has been serving up Tex-Mex cuisine since 1957. Come enjoy the flavors of genuine FRESH made to order Tex Mex, such as our one of a kind queso, individually grilled crispy tacos, chile rellenos grilled in egg whites, hand made tamales, and made daily Jorge's famous SALSA. All this and breakfast plates all day! Also don't forget to try our made from scratch margaritas and mojitos. Last but not least..dessert..such as our delicious tres leches and creamy flan. We are located in One Arts Plaza, Dallas' newest and exciting addition to the Arts District. Not required but we recommend you make a note on the reservation if you are attending an Art's District Performance. We also reccommend making you're reservation at least 2 hours before showtime. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
50 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (29)good for groups (18)neighborhood gem (15)great for lunch (13)fit for foodies (10)special occasion (10)hot spot (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (5)scenic view (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)romantic (3)Show More
- Great Option Before Theatre in the Arts DistrictGreatArtsDistrictDIningDined on 11/21/2014This is a great option if you are headed to a symphony, dance, theatre or museum in the Arts District. If you eat at the restaurant, valet parking is only $5 and the self-parking lot beside One Arts Plaza is only $5 as well. Great margaritas and great food and to boot - great service! Really friendly staff with excellent service!I would recommend this to a friend.
- mediocre at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/1/2014went here before the opera due to location. we were disappointed with just about every aspect.
- Mediocre Tex-MexCJDineoutDined on 10/31/2014This was a trial, we ate here based on proximity to the Meyerson. It is convenient in that regard, but not worth a repeat experience. The restaurant appears clean, well kept. This restaurant is convenient to the Arts district for patrons to have a meal without leaving the area. The wait staff does a good job and prices are reasonable. Now to the down side, the food is so-so in flavor and quality. For example, the chicken breast my wife ordered is rather overcooked and dry. The sauce on it was OK, nothing noteworthy good or bad. The menu is actually more limited than the mom-and-pop Tex-Mex restaurant we have in our small town and Jorge's food is not as good in taste and cooking quality.Special Features:
- Okay/AverageRDChefDined on 10/27/2014The food was okay, but nothing spectacular. The only reason that I would return is if I were in the building again for a meeting.
- TedBVIPDined on 10/25/2014As ever, best margaritas and salsa in Dallas! A fun group of Halloween revelers in costume were on the patio providing unobtrusive entertainment. First time with server Juan and he was excellent!Special Features:
- Brunch and showTaylorDined on 10/5/2014The great thing about Jorge's is that it is just stone's throw from the Winspear, Wyly, Meyerson and the museums. We were seeing a matinee at the Wyly on Sunday so this was perfect to sit outside and get some food and drinks beforehand. The food was ok, but you can't beat the $1 mimosas (especially in this area). The wait staff was very attentive and very nice. Walked out of there with only a $14 tab (and that's with 4 mimosas, don't judge) and proceeded to the Wyly for a $11 vodka drink. I've also been to the bar before other downtown events and they make a stiff cocktail as well. Valet and have brunch here before your next downtown cultural experience!Special Features:
- Really good mexican foodldaschaVIPDined on 10/1/2014And, a great value. We enjoyed a variety of entrees, lite and standard Mexican selections. Also, Jorge's has a wide selection of drinks. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Location, food, service & valet!CatsbragDined on 10/1/2014Jorge's is an excellent place for dinner in the Arts District and it doesn't break the bank! Our group met here before attending a show at the AT&T Performing Arts Center. They do have valet service but it is only a few foot steps to the AT&T Performing arts district. The restaurant filled up quickly so I would suggest reservations if you have a scheduled event. Indoor seating is tight, booths or tables with additional ample seating outdoors. The service & food was excellent; servers are VERY attentive! While the menu has a wide variety of your typical Tex-Mex food with a variety of vegetarian choices, the taste fresh, an upscale presentation with some not so typical choices. The flan and Tres Leches Cake was divine! Moderate Prices!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TexMex in the Arts Districtdzimmerman86Dined on 9/26/2014I've been to Jorge's multiple times now and it's always my downtown option when friends and family visit. The food is great and the staff has always been very friendly. It's also a short walk from the museums and Klyde Warren Park which makes it a great start to the night or end of your day meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just right before a concertjlaw2424picsDined on 9/23/2014We had a full hour before attending a music event next door,but we were hungry and ordered full dinners. From taking the order to placing the meal on the table was 5 minutes. I am not joking, FIVE minutes. So we had a relaxed meal, which of course was delicious. Bravo, great job Jorge.Special Features:
- Great NightMichaelPDined on 9/5/2014I have always enjoyed Jorge's, and it's especially good for a night in the Arts District. I've never had a meal I was unhappy with. That being said, I must say I was truly impressed with the staff and thankful for their flexibility and graciousness in allowing me to change my reservation not once, but twice in the same night due to unavoidable delays for some of our group.Special Features:
- goodtoknowDined on 8/29/2014The waiter suggested the fish tacos and they were excellent. Service, food, drinks: all excellent.Special Features:
- TedBVIPDined on 8/24/2014Above average Tex Mex fair in an Arts District setting. Evenings tend to be peopled with patrons attending performances at the nearby venues. Shuttle service is provided before and after performances. Jorge's has the best margaritas and the best salsa in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantelleg929Dined on 8/19/2014The food was excellent as well as the service. The prices were very reasonable, especially considering the location.
- Fantastic ServiceHappySurpriseDined on 8/17/2014We chose Jorges because we were seeing a play at the Wyly theater. Haaving never been to the restaurant before, we did not know what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise. Our waiter was very friendly and considerate and the food was excellent. The atmosphere was a little lacking, in my opinion, but it was a great choice for our purposes. We were quite happy with the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The service was great. The fish tacos were excellent. Good ambient noise level but not too loud, we could still hear each other without yelling. It was not freezing like most restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Show favoriteGeekinTXDined on 8/9/2014With covered (free if validated) parking nearby and a short walk to the Winspear, this has become a favorite place to eat lunch or dinner before a show. During our most recent experience, their air conditioning wasn't working. They'd brought fans inside and were doing their best to keep it cool. We considered going elsewhere, but decided to stay. It got a little warm toward the end, but wasn't too bad. Probably downright cool compared to what it must have been like in the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly goodsharonVIPDined on 8/6/2014Yes, It's Tex-Mex, but the beef, chicken and salmon were cooked well. Salsa could be more interesting than the blender version they have, but chips are crisp and not too thick. Passion fruit and mango margaritas were quite good, as well. Service was more than attentive. An overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Brunch with Mimosas!LuvMexicanDined on 8/3/2014We had a wonderful brunch Sunday morning out on the patio next to the fountains. There was a cool breeze and I felt like I was in Mexico! The staff were VERY attentive, professional and pleasant to talk to. Finally, the food was fabulous!!! Very authentic just like in Mexico. Luv, luv, luv this place. Oh yeah, the Mimosas were great!Special Features:
- Horrible service on Friday nightJennaDined on 8/1/2014Happy with food and service on prior visits. This time, the waitress couldn't get simple drink order correct (straight gin, whiskey sour with Jack) so bartender had to come out to clarify the order. Ordered appetizer and asked waitress to take our dinner order when it was delivered. Appetizer came, we finished it, waitress was nowhere to be found. The hostess finally realized we had no food or drinks and took our food order. Food finally came after a long delay and was barely warm. Ordered extra tortillas, which the waitress remembered to put on our tab, but didn't remember to actually give to us. Drinks were never refilled, never were asked how our food was. Had to chase down another server for check. Whole ordeal took 85 minutes.
- The following 363 reviews are from the Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe reviews archive.
- Amazing food and service!pradaboyDined on 7/13/2014My family and I stopped in here for catching a show at the Wyly Theater and it was so worth it! Everyone in our party ordered a different dish so we could all try each others and everything we had was amazing! We also ordered a flight (sampler) of 5 margaritas. Each one of the 5 different flavors was delicious! Our waiter was great, he was very friendly and attentive. The decor or the restaurant is nice as well. Another big plus for me was the restrooms! I love when restaurants have nice restrooms and Jorge's has just that! I will definitely be visiting Jorge's again in the future!Special Features:
- Jorge's Tex Mex CafeBigAlDined on 7/8/2014The location of the café and ease of getting there was outstanding (we ate there before a performance at the Wyly). The service was good. My only complaint was the food was marginal at best, and the drinks were just ok.
- Before the TheatrehatetocookDined on 7/1/2014Casual Tex-Mex steps away from the theatre district. Food, chips, salsa all fresh as tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Tex MexProgersDined on 6/15/2014Nestled in the corner of a high-rise office building on Routh Street at the east end of the Arts District in Downtown Dallas, Jorge's is a great place for brunch, lunch, or dinner. In addition to the well-appointed dining area, there is also an ample patio in front with umbrellas and fans to keep it comfortable on nice days. I enjoyed Father's Day brunch there with my wife and enjoyed the Huevos a la Mexicana--scrambled eggs with chopped onions, tomatoes, and serano peppers and sides of beans, potatoes, crisp bacon strips, and corn tortillas. My eggs were fluffy and cooked just right, bacon was crisp, and potatoes were tasty. I created my own burritos using the refried beans and tasty salsa wrapped in tortillas. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip if looking for real tex-mexatpvVIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was marginal, menu had few choices and presentation was definetely not appealing......one thing: great/fresh salsa but it is not worth the trip/visit.
- Very Good Cheese EnchiladasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014Jorge's has a very nice decor. Not your typical Tex-Mex or chain restaurant that is overcrowded with decorations. Much more like Gloria's or Mario and Alberto's. So I rate it very highly there. The food was also very good. Every time I go to a new Tex-Mex restaurant, I have cheese enchiladas. This is my yardstick. The only cheese enchiladas I have had in Dallas that I enjoyed more (and it was very close) are those at Pappasito's. The service was also quick and friendly. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home-Style Tex-MexconejitaDined on 5/16/2014My husband really enjoyed the Carne-Guisada and we both loved the Sangria! Their chips were warm, and salsa was tasty - not too hot. My chicken tortilla soup was just ok, but the guac was also very good.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014The food, service and atmosphere were all enjoyable. Great place for Arts District activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteBobEDined on 5/11/2014We're bringing Mexican-food-loving friends from Phoenix here during their next Dallas visit. Each dish was fresh, flavorful and authentic. Preparation straight forward, not over-sauced. Seasonings are spot-on. Absolutely delicious. Service is attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/10/2014We found Jorge's when attending performances in the Dallas Arts District, and we enjoyed it so much we returned the next day to dine there again!Special Features:
- Prior to performanceJasonPsyDDined on 5/10/2014Relaxed late Saturday brunch before a little Beethoven in the City Performance Hall (nice venue, by the way). Reservation and arrived on time, pleasantly seated immediately at a table under Joswe's care. Very nice to be remembered, given we have not been in for around ten months. Entire staff very attentive to our needs. Busy, but not crowded or noisy. All food an beverage was very good. Very nice and relaxing hour of conversation prior to performance. We will likely repeat a bit later next week between performances.Special Features:
- Decent but not greatBethanyInDallasDined on 5/6/2014There are a lot of excellent Mexican food restaurants in town, but this one is not one of them. The food is fine, but I would not go out of my way for it.Special Features:
- Good nightBigWallyDined on 5/2/2014With most of the patrons sitting outside it was fairly quiet inside. This was our second time to eat here and the last time the place was crazy busy. And the staff struggled. On this trip, because it was slower we had great service. The food was good but not outstanding for Dallas. There was a chicken bone in an enchilada. The margaritas are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susanDined on 5/1/2014Just added new umbrella to their outside sitting area,
- Best fajitas everTraveldivaVIPDined on 4/26/2014Awesome fajitas. Blackberry margaritas are great and the tres le he's is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceDinnerandShowDined on 4/25/2014We really appreciate the valet service and our ticket validation in the restaurant. The friendly greeting we received from the valet team was great! However, the greeting from the hostess and server were just adequate. The food and drinks were outstanding and the food arrived very quickly, We were able to be seated at 7:00, eat, and still catch a ride to the Winspear in time for an 8:00 Beauty and the Beast performance with a few minutes to spare! Thank you!Special Features:
- Hidden GemGalTexasNorthDined on 4/18/2014The food was delicious with several vegetarian options. It is the perfect location and a quick walk from the DART and/or Museum district. The chips were warm and salsa fresh, but not spicy. I ordered the spinach enchiladas and Jorge's Real Deal Mojito. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodieDined on 4/11/2014Ate here before the opera because my mother was set on going here. Ate the chicken fajita salad. Lettuce not fresh, slightly toilety taste--I could taste the plate cleaning material. Chicken moist and warm but not seasoned properly. Overall super disappointed. Decent place if you're having a casual cafe/lunch and outside area is nice. But not what I was hoping for my pre opera dinner.
- Good Tex/Mex in the center of artsJohnDined on 3/29/2014Very decent Tex/Mex very close to all the arts of the city. Ate here before the opera with family. The food was very good, the service excellent, the outdoor patio bustling but quiet. Highly recommended before a show, a concert, or any other artistic event--all within walking distance. And don't forget the cheap car park nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before DTC ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014My wife and I have now eaten at every place within walking distance of the Wiley and Jorge's was easily the worst. Ambiance is incredibly uninteresting. The service was underwhelming and the food was boring. On the positive side, the price was reasonable considering the location.