Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe
1722 Routh Street
Dallas, TX 75219Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.jorgestexmex.com/
- Phone: 2147202211x
- Hours of Operation:
Mon-Wed. 11a-8p Thur-Sat 11a-11p Sun 11a-7p
THUR-SAT Bar open till midnight
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Executive Chef: Jorge A. Veloz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will customize any menu to forfill your catering needs. Please contact our General Manager Juan Torres at firstname.lastname@example.org or
214-720-2211. Also be sure to check out our catering menu online at jorgestexmex.com
- Private Party Facilities: We have a 17 person private room which includes a tv. Perfect room for meetings, power point presentations and or birthday parties and showers.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle Mireles 2147202211x
- Special Events: WEEKEND BRUNCH-Sat&Sun 11a-4p $1 mimosas!
HAPPY HOUR Mon-Fri 2-6!
$5 MARGARITA MONDAYS! All day (expect top shelf) Monday's are made for Jorge's house made margaritas
1/2 off all day WINE bottles on Tuesdays
A word from Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe
This family-owned and operated restaurant has been serving up Tex-Mex cuisine since 1957. Come enjoy the flavors of genuine FRESH made to order Tex Mex, such as our one of a kind queso, individually grilled crispy tacos, chile rellenos grilled in egg whites, hand made tamales, and made daily Jorge's famous SALSA. All this and breakfast plates all day! Also don't forget to try our made from scratch margaritas and mojitos. Last but not least..dessert..such as our delicious tres leches and creamy flan. We are located in One Arts Plaza, Dallas' newest and exciting addition to the Arts District. Not required but we recommend you make a note on the reservation if you are attending an Art's District Performance. We also reccommend making you're reservation at least 2 hours before showtime. We look forward to serving you!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (13)great for lunch (12)great for brunch (11)neighborhood gem (11)good for groups (11)special occasion (7)romantic (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- goodtoknowDined on 8/29/2014The waiter suggested the fish tacos and they were excellent. Service, food, drinks: all excellent.Special Features:
- TedBVIPDined on 8/24/2014Above average Tex Mex fair in an Arts District setting. Evenings tend to be peopled with patrons attending performances at the nearby venues. Shuttle service is provided before and after performances. Jorge's has the best margaritas and the best salsa in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantelleg929Dined on 8/19/2014The food was excellent as well as the service. The prices were very reasonable, especially considering the location.
- Fantastic ServiceHappySurpriseDined on 8/17/2014We chose Jorges because we were seeing a play at the Wyly theater. Haaving never been to the restaurant before, we did not know what to expect. It was a pleasant surprise. Our waiter was very friendly and considerate and the food was excellent. The atmosphere was a little lacking, in my opinion, but it was a great choice for our purposes. We were quite happy with the experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014The service was great. The fish tacos were excellent. Good ambient noise level but not too loud, we could still hear each other without yelling. It was not freezing like most restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Show favoriteGeekinTXDined on 8/9/2014With covered (free if validated) parking nearby and a short walk to the Winspear, this has become a favorite place to eat lunch or dinner before a show. During our most recent experience, their air conditioning wasn't working. They'd brought fans inside and were doing their best to keep it cool. We considered going elsewhere, but decided to stay. It got a little warm toward the end, but wasn't too bad. Probably downright cool compared to what it must have been like in the kitchen!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- surprisingly goodsharonVIPDined on 8/6/2014Yes, It's Tex-Mex, but the beef, chicken and salmon were cooked well. Salsa could be more interesting than the blender version they have, but chips are crisp and not too thick. Passion fruit and mango margaritas were quite good, as well. Service was more than attentive. An overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Brunch with Mimosas!LuvMexicanDined on 8/3/2014We had a wonderful brunch Sunday morning out on the patio next to the fountains. There was a cool breeze and I felt like I was in Mexico! The staff were VERY attentive, professional and pleasant to talk to. Finally, the food was fabulous!!! Very authentic just like in Mexico. Luv, luv, luv this place. Oh yeah, the Mimosas were great!Special Features:
- Horrible service on Friday nightJennaDined on 8/1/2014Happy with food and service on prior visits. This time, the waitress couldn't get simple drink order correct (straight gin, whiskey sour with Jack) so bartender had to come out to clarify the order. Ordered appetizer and asked waitress to take our dinner order when it was delivered. Appetizer came, we finished it, waitress was nowhere to be found. The hostess finally realized we had no food or drinks and took our food order. Food finally came after a long delay and was barely warm. Ordered extra tortillas, which the waitress remembered to put on our tab, but didn't remember to actually give to us. Drinks were never refilled, never were asked how our food was. Had to chase down another server for check. Whole ordeal took 85 minutes.
- Amazing food and service!pradaboyDined on 7/13/2014My family and I stopped in here for catching a show at the Wyly Theater and it was so worth it! Everyone in our party ordered a different dish so we could all try each others and everything we had was amazing! We also ordered a flight (sampler) of 5 margaritas. Each one of the 5 different flavors was delicious! Our waiter was great, he was very friendly and attentive. The decor or the restaurant is nice as well. Another big plus for me was the restrooms! I love when restaurants have nice restrooms and Jorge's has just that! I will definitely be visiting Jorge's again in the future!Special Features:
- Jorge's Tex Mex CafeBigAlDined on 7/8/2014The location of the café and ease of getting there was outstanding (we ate there before a performance at the Wyly). The service was good. My only complaint was the food was marginal at best, and the drinks were just ok.
- Before the TheatrehatetocookDined on 7/1/2014Casual Tex-Mex steps away from the theatre district. Food, chips, salsa all fresh as tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- West Tex MexProgersDined on 6/15/2014Nestled in the corner of a high-rise office building on Routh Street at the east end of the Arts District in Downtown Dallas, Jorge's is a great place for brunch, lunch, or dinner. In addition to the well-appointed dining area, there is also an ample patio in front with umbrellas and fans to keep it comfortable on nice days. I enjoyed Father's Day brunch there with my wife and enjoyed the Huevos a la Mexicana--scrambled eggs with chopped onions, tomatoes, and serano peppers and sides of beans, potatoes, crisp bacon strips, and corn tortillas. My eggs were fluffy and cooked just right, bacon was crisp, and potatoes were tasty. I created my own burritos using the refried beans and tasty salsa wrapped in tortillas. Everything was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip if looking for real tex-mexatpvVIPDined on 6/14/2014Food was marginal, menu had few choices and presentation was definetely not appealing......one thing: great/fresh salsa but it is not worth the trip/visit.
- Very Good Cheese EnchiladasOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/19/2014Jorge's has a very nice decor. Not your typical Tex-Mex or chain restaurant that is overcrowded with decorations. Much more like Gloria's or Mario and Alberto's. So I rate it very highly there. The food was also very good. Every time I go to a new Tex-Mex restaurant, I have cheese enchiladas. This is my yardstick. The only cheese enchiladas I have had in Dallas that I enjoyed more (and it was very close) are those at Pappasito's. The service was also quick and friendly. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home-Style Tex-MexconejitaDined on 5/16/2014My husband really enjoyed the Carne-Guisada and we both loved the Sangria! Their chips were warm, and salsa was tasty - not too hot. My chicken tortilla soup was just ok, but the guac was also very good.Special Features:
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/11/2014The food, service and atmosphere were all enjoyable. Great place for Arts District activities.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new favoriteBobEDined on 5/11/2014We're bringing Mexican-food-loving friends from Phoenix here during their next Dallas visit. Each dish was fresh, flavorful and authentic. Preparation straight forward, not over-sauced. Seasonings are spot-on. Absolutely delicious. Service is attentive and friendly without being intrusive. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- Excellent experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/10/2014We found Jorge's when attending performances in the Dallas Arts District, and we enjoyed it so much we returned the next day to dine there again!Special Features:
- Prior to performanceJasonPsyDDined on 5/10/2014Relaxed late Saturday brunch before a little Beethoven in the City Performance Hall (nice venue, by the way). Reservation and arrived on time, pleasantly seated immediately at a table under Joswe's care. Very nice to be remembered, given we have not been in for around ten months. Entire staff very attentive to our needs. Busy, but not crowded or noisy. All food an beverage was very good. Very nice and relaxing hour of conversation prior to performance. We will likely repeat a bit later next week between performances.Special Features:
- Decent but not greatBethanyInDallasDined on 5/6/2014There are a lot of excellent Mexican food restaurants in town, but this one is not one of them. The food is fine, but I would not go out of my way for it.Special Features:
- The following 351 reviews are from the Jorge's Tex Mex Cafe reviews archive.
- Good nightBigWallyDined on 5/2/2014With most of the patrons sitting outside it was fairly quiet inside. This was our second time to eat here and the last time the place was crazy busy. And the staff struggled. On this trip, because it was slower we had great service. The food was good but not outstanding for Dallas. There was a chicken bone in an enchilada. The margaritas are outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susanDined on 5/1/2014Just added new umbrella to their outside sitting area,
- Best fajitas everTraveldivaVIPDined on 4/26/2014Awesome fajitas. Blackberry margaritas are great and the tres le he's is out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceDinnerandShowDined on 4/25/2014We really appreciate the valet service and our ticket validation in the restaurant. The friendly greeting we received from the valet team was great! However, the greeting from the hostess and server were just adequate. The food and drinks were outstanding and the food arrived very quickly, We were able to be seated at 7:00, eat, and still catch a ride to the Winspear in time for an 8:00 Beauty and the Beast performance with a few minutes to spare! Thank you!Special Features:
- Hidden GemGalTexasNorthDined on 4/18/2014The food was delicious with several vegetarian options. It is the perfect location and a quick walk from the DART and/or Museum district. The chips were warm and salsa fresh, but not spicy. I ordered the spinach enchiladas and Jorge's Real Deal Mojito. I will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodieDined on 4/11/2014Ate here before the opera because my mother was set on going here. Ate the chicken fajita salad. Lettuce not fresh, slightly toilety taste--I could taste the plate cleaning material. Chicken moist and warm but not seasoned properly. Overall super disappointed. Decent place if you're having a casual cafe/lunch and outside area is nice. But not what I was hoping for my pre opera dinner.
- Good Tex/Mex in the center of artsJohnDined on 3/29/2014Very decent Tex/Mex very close to all the arts of the city. Ate here before the opera with family. The food was very good, the service excellent, the outdoor patio bustling but quiet. Highly recommended before a show, a concert, or any other artistic event--all within walking distance. And don't forget the cheap car park nearby.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner Before DTC ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/28/2014My wife and I have now eaten at every place within walking distance of the Wiley and Jorge's was easily the worst. Ambiance is incredibly uninteresting. The service was underwhelming and the food was boring. On the positive side, the price was reasonable considering the location.
- Avoid The Cocktails!FirstTimerDined on 3/28/2014I'd never been before and chose the restuarant because of the close proximity to the Winspear. We ordered martinis which was a mistake. The martinis were filled with crushed ice and very watery. Considering the fact that we ordered them with Grey Goose, all three of us sent them back and requested no ice. The second round was a slight improvement but hardly a good martini considering the price. The food was fine. The waitress didn't seem overly concerned with our table and took her time with food and drinks.
- Great Arts District locationEBrownDined on 3/22/2014Dined here with friends after a day in the Arts District. It was not crowded, food and service were good!
- Restaurant was great...foodie57VIPDined on 3/14/2014But the lady at the table next to us was super annoying!! Not the restaurants fault obviously but it did effect our experience. We had ordered guacamole as an appetizer and a couple of Margaritas. The guacamole was good but we barely had two bites in and our entrees arrived super duper quick. Since this restaurant is near the theater district I'm sure the quickness is a result in most diners wanting to eat quick and go to their shows. But unfortunately for us, we weren't looking for a dine and dash night and the quickness made us wonder if our food was made to order or if it was pre-made and just scooped up and served. :( However the quick dinner did get us away faster from the extremely loud and chatty lady next to us.Special Features:
- Dinner at Jorge"sLibrarianDined on 3/8/2014It was a cold and wet evening when we dined there prior to a DTC performance, and it was nice to come in from the weather. The service was good and quick, and the menu was varied enough to justify returning to try something different . We would like to come back and sit outside the next time!Special Features:
- great dinnerjaimeDined on 3/1/2014Thoroughly enjoyable evening. Great place for dinner before symphony.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and Servicedsi2009Dined on 2/14/2014My girlfriend and I went to Jorge's Tex Mex Restaurant for Valentine's Day. She loves delicious food. The waiter knew I am deaf person and great communicate with me and my girlfriend. I saw beautiful outdoor with light. There had great view when I saw Red Box Light on Art Plaza near us. When we arrived, then the waiter asked us for drink then food. They were fast service. We loves delicious dessert and drink. I would recommended to my family, friends, deaf people, and YOU.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Made a reservation,showedOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 2/7/2014Made a reservation,showed up to the restaurant and was told that they were closed not taking anymore reservations and that I never made any reservations on open table. Seriously?
- nice start to arts district eveningArtSongDined on 1/4/2014Our party (7) had early reservations (in advance of a recital at city performance hall). Arriving a few minutes early, we were greeted in a very friendly manner and were taken immediately to our table, which was perfectly appointed in an alcove within the main dining area - private yet not secluded. We were given plenty of time to decide on plates and suggestions were offered as requested. As it happened, we all selected different plates. Everything came out hot and at the same time. But some were more happy with their selections than others - the mole, in particular, was a bit too sweet for our tastes. Three different margaritas were sampled- none were found to be above par. The service was quite attentive throughout, but never obtrusive.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceNewYear2014Dined on 12/31/2013This was our first time to dine there. The service and food was great. The waiter was attentive, but not overly intrusive. We were a bit surprised that it was not packed for New Years Eve, but that actually worked out quite nice and allowed us to be very leisurely. We never felt pressured to leave. It is a very good and convenient place to eat prior to any events in the Arts District. The prices are quite reasonable. We will certainly go there again.Special Features:
- ItsokMattDined on 12/23/2013Everything was basically ok but nothing that would bring me back, except for the margurettas? Small space, uncomfortable tables,and very warm!!Special Features:
- We visited Jorge's downtownOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/20/2013We visited Jorge's downtown Dallas location prior to an evening at the City Performance Hall. The food was typical tex-mex, nothing particularly new or exciting, but not bad either. The restaurant itself is small and was full, but not overcrowded nor overly noisy. I'm glad we made reservations, however; not sure we'd have gotten in otherwise with a party of six. The service was nice, but not extraordinary. In other words, an okay dinner venue, but I won't rush back downtown just to eat there.I would recommend this to a friend.