Jonathans of Oakville
120 Thomas Street
Oakville, ON L6J 3A8Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: CAN$51 and over
Jonathans of Oakville
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jonathansofoakville.com/
- Phone: (905) 842-4200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Saturday: 12:00pm -3:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary French, International
- Executive Chef: Michael Spudowski
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Fireplace, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Introducing Jonathans Fine Catering, bringing Jonathans to your home or office. Watch our video - Jonathans Catering - or visit Jonathans of Oakville for more information.
- Private Party Facilities: With seven different rooms, Jonathans has the flexibility to host Private Groups, Corporate Functions, Educational Meetings, Weddings, Cocktail Parties, First Communions/ Baptisms, & Bar/Bat Mitzvahs. Private Room sizes range from 6 people 100 people, and some have their own Bar, Lounge, or even Fireplace. Custom menus can be suited to any budget.
- Private Party Contact: Jason 905-842-4200x
- Entertainment: Jonathans Bistro features Curtis Ray Smith Jazz Guitarist or Vocal Pianist Martin Wall every Friday & Saturday Night starting at 7:30 p.m. Our Bistro setting is a 'hot spot' for local regulars week after week. Please request Bistro Seating in your reservation request.
- Special Events: Jonathans is an ideal venue for events ranging in size from 10 to over 100 guests. In addition to multiple dining rooms and the J Bistro on the main floor, the second floor of the restaurant offers several dedicated event spaces. Watch our Events video - Jonathans Events - or visit Jonathans of Oakville for more information.
- Cross Street: Lakeshore/Trafalgar
- Public Transit: Five minute Taxi ride from Oakville GO & Via Rail Train station.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Parking after 6:00 in Downtown Oakville is Free. There is a Parking Lot directly across the street from Jonathans. There is also Parking on the street.
A word from Jonathans of Oakville
Voted 'Oakville's Best Restaurant' for 16 years in a row, you owe it to yourself to visit this Canadian legend. Be it the Intimate Fireside Tables, the Casual 'J' Bistro, the Private Dining Rooms, or the Award Winning Wine Cellar, Jonathans offers the setting for any occasion. Visit Jonathans of OakvilleContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jonathans of Oakville reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (9)romantic (8)notable wine list (6)neighborhood gem (4)fit for foodies (4)great for outdoor dining (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Drinks onlyTOcoupleDined on 11/22/2014This place is said to be fabulous so we had to try it out. It's a nice environment but the food is flavourless. The steak was so bland I almost asked for ketchup. Anyone who thinks this is fine dining really needs to head downtown to Toronto and experience what fine dining is because this isn't it.Special Features:
- Delicious but noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/8/2014Food was excellent. Wine list excellent. Service very good. Noise level too high. They need to find away to soften the acoustics in the dining room or reduce the number of people they seat in it. Hard to have a conversation at peak hours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our second time at Jonathan'sFaiGowDined on 11/1/2014We first dined there 2 weekends ago and had a wonderful meal. My husband had the calf liver and insists it was the best he'd ever had. I had the parpardelle and it was delicious - the pasta was maybe a tad overdone but I prefer my pasta quite al dente. The service was excellent - informative, friendly...we were walk-ins with no reservations and were treated very well. We had such a lovely first-time experience that we decided this was where we wanted to have our anniversary meal (last weekend). I can understand why this place is such a staple in Oakville and why it has survived for 33 years.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014Staff and the owner make you feel welcome and at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodiegoodieDined on 9/27/2014Disappointed with both our meals. Did not live up to what we experienced years ago. A steak was not cooked to order and had to be sent back. Service was excellent, ambiance excellent. For the money, we would go somewhere else. Have had better food at less expensive restaurants.Special Features:
- Excellent dinner, as alwaysfinedinerDined on 8/2/2014We always have the same thing and are never disappointed. Ceasar salad and the lobster soufflé with a really nice bottle of Californian chardonnay. If there's room left, we split a dessert. This restaurant is predictable in a good way and the staff are always friendly and helpful. We particularly like the casual atmosphere when they open the doors in the summer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needed2complainDined on 8/1/2014We really enjoy this restaurant, although on our most recent visit, there was one VERY noisy table including talking on their telephones and using voices not appropriate for a small indoor space. Quite disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 144 reviews are from the Jonathans of Oakville reviews archive.
- Unfortunate tableMiadscVIPDined on 6/21/2014We were seated near the outdoor patio. What ended up happening is that the servers used the space between our table and the next as a "highway" to get outside. We even commented that they should go around the other way. Did not appreciate the treatment when you are spending over $200 for a casual dinner.Special Features:
- A great Birthday dinnerOakvillenonfoodyDined on 6/20/2014My son and I took my wife to a nice quiet dinner at Jonathan's on June 20. As usual, the restaurant did not disappoint with a very pleasant atmosphere, a friendly reception, courteous and helpful waiter and excellent food. If the bar had fresh mint on hand to make her a mojito, her evening would have been stellar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic as AlwaysmickeyDined on 6/18/2014Jonathan's Bistro never fails to delight. Great food, atmosphere, attentive waiters and owner and a fabulous wine list.Special Features:
- JustmarriedDined on 6/13/2014Delicious food :) all 4 of us tried different apps/dinner/dessert….so we tested a fair number of menu items and ALL were Exceptional :) The staff is reserved but friendly but I thought it odd that he/she did not take the ladies orders first…..so it was confusing who's order they were waiting for next? We would definitely return, perhaps to try our your bistro :)Special Features:
- Mother's Day BombOakDinerVIPDined on 5/11/2014Very disappointing. Nothing wrong with charging nearly $50pp, if you deliver fresh quality food in a nice and clean environment. Jonathans failed all around. Place settings mismatched and dirty. Trying to cram extra folks into a small space. Elderly mothers and small kids, on multi levels, just a bad idea. One small food station a long walk, down all sorts of stairs from the tables. No reason why they could not have two set-ups, or at least one fantastic spread. Selections average at best. No presentation. Quality of food very poor for such a special event. Seem to be riding on laurels from decades ago. Expected way better. Would not go again.
- Hands down a great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/11/2014There are enough twists from the usual fare that you're never entirely sure if you're there for brunch or some gourmet tasting menu. Highly worth it, especially for occasions like Mother's Day or, well, any given Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experianceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/10/2014Took my wife for mother's day and it was great. May be a little too dark and the service could have been a little better. Took a really long time to get the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant atmosphere, a bitMelosoDined on 4/12/2014Pleasant atmosphere, a bit too dark for my liking. The service is acceptable, nothing out of the expected... The food was great, highly recommend the octopus and their wine list is worth mentioning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedja4074Dined on 3/28/2014Had a great night and a nice meal. Our server was polite and knowledgeable. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014We heard the rave reviews about Jonathans, however with young children we don't dine like we use to. This was our first time here and although we didn't get a chance to meet Jason the owner, we got the opportunity to meet "DAD". Our server Gabriel, was most gracious, attentive, funny and very knowledgeable. We ate in the dining room, which was wonderful. We were able to hear the live music perfectly. We can't wait to check out the Bistro, next time. The food was beyond our expectations, cooked to perfection, presentation was top notch & dessert was delicious. Our server made great recommendations, and we received a complimentary "anniversary" drink, which was very nice. We will definitely recommend, Thank you for a great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oakville LandmarkJohnboyDined on 3/1/2014We've been dining at Johnathan's for over 23 years and are always totally satisfied. wish more restaurants had such high standards of service and cuisine. Jason and Johnny are the perfect hosts and make you feel right at home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatPabloDined on 2/14/2014It was my first time with my family on Valentines night and we all had a great evening. The food ...the set up... the people working... music.. all was just perfect. Keep it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent romanceIHadTheSteakDined on 2/14/2014I took my girlfriend here for Valentine's dinner and we both left more in love then when we arrived. The pianist was excellent, coupled with excellent ambiance and friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day RomanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I dined at Jonathan's for Valentine's Day of this year. The prix fixe menu was absolutely delicious. The ambience was very romantic despite the dining room being full and the servers were courteous and attentive. We really enjoyed ourselves and would absolutely recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for an up-scale dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant.Flyguy1957Dined on 2/8/2014Great restaurant in a lovely old house. Very intimate and romantic. Great menu and the food was perfect. I would return for any special occasion.Special Features:
- Outstanding ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/23/2014Jonathan s of Oakville is great for any occassion, from a casual lunch, to a romantic evening, or just to catch up with friends. If I am entertaining for business or just need a night out over great food, Jonathan s is my restaurant of choice. Great wines, service and ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!KrisDined on 12/19/2013The food was absolutely amazing! However, the night we went there was a party on the J Bistro side, we could barely hear ourselves think, it kind of killed the idea do fine dining. I think they need to put something up a little more sound proofing between Jonathan's and J Bistro's, or add some curtains or cloth panels to eat the sound, but it it is the holiday season so likely not a regular thing. I also found the wait staff not that attentive for the price you pay, to be honest! But the food was to die for completely top notch, I had the duck and my husband had the lamb and we were both in heaven, hopefully we just caught them on an off night with service and ambience, we would try again another time, I think!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- it was a fabulous night out.luvgoodfoodDined on 10/26/2013it was a fabulous night out. The food was outstanding, the wine list was great and the service was awesome. I would definitely recommend Jonathan's and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We have never been disappointedPhilomenaDined on 9/27/2013We have never been disappointed in the food here but we especially love the soufflé especially the lobster one. Their isn't much atmosphere in the dinning room but the bistro with the piano is lovely. The service is always excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant experience.TheBelleLuretteDined on 9/9/2013Very pleasant experience.The service was very A+ . Best part of the meal was the main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, but...DinerDined on 7/16/2013We dined on a Tuesday evening. Special occasion. We were the only people in the dining room. But the bistro section was active. We didn't enjoy being the only ones in the dining room. I would've hoped the host would've asked where we preferred sitting. Oh well. Our meals were great. However, i had asked for my meat to be cooked medium rare. It came medium well. Our server didn't show up until we were well into our meals so too late to have it corrected. Oh well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Jonathan'sLivieDined on 6/20/2013Wonderful experience! Excellent food and service. It is definitely a gem of Oakville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningalgeeVIPDined on 6/15/2013Revisited Jonathan's, having been there before, it was another good experience. Service is always good. Quiet location for a Saturday, with a musician playing in the bistro area that could heard in the main dining room. Nice ambiance. Meal was excellent. Wine list is good and has some reasonably priced wines without breaking the bank. Would go back again for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a difference a year makesOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/25/2013Last year we had a better experience. The food was still very good but the service took a dive. Got in and was rushed to order (it was not busy). Told the server it was our anniversary no need to rush. Still rushed. If he hadn't ignored us for half an hour after dropping off the dessert menus we would have been out in an hour. This is the first time at a fine dining establishment that we had to pour our own wine, which insn't really a big deal but ignoring us is. Last year was much better, a more paced meal, the chef came out to say happy anniversary, made us a special souffle for the occassion.Last years food and service is why we went back instead of trying somewhere else. Next year we try somewhere else.Special Features:
- A Sour Note As indicated above,JOELVIPDined on 5/18/2013A Sour Note As indicated above, everything went well and we would return again however.......... I ordered a bottle of Pouilly Fuisse for $78. The waiter returned and said that they were out of that wine but offered a Pouilly Fume. I initially said no but then changed my mind and accepted the wine. Towards the end of the meal I realized that I had not specifically asked for the price of the wine. When I received the bill, the wine was billed at $100. Even though I should have asked, I feel that it is incumbent upon the restaurant, if they offer a substitute wine, to offer it at the same price as the one I ordered or at least inform me that this wine was close to 30% more that the one I had initially ordered. We left feeling less than happy.Special Features:
- A fine evening had by allMemlaneDined on 5/16/2013Dined with some old friends of my spouse. Was a great venue to catch up and reminisce without competing with music or other din which is one of the reasons we chose Jonathans. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie oasis in OakvilleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/12/2013Lovely place. Warm, cosy, comfortable. Great food and service. Mothers Day was a real treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Cakeluv3dineDined on 5/3/2013We have dined at Jonathans on a number of occasions. VG food but somewhat overpriced. We had ordered a chocolate birthday cake, but our birthday guest was only served a slice of cake and the remaining guests were left out! Quite unusual, but the waiter was gracious in his apology for what was clearly a miscommunication as we had requested a cake and been called by the restaurant in the afternoon to discuss the inscription on the cake. We were eventually provided with slices for the other two at the table, on the house - but no cake!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recent dinnerX2ccDined on 4/29/2013We were celebrating our sons 18th birthday, and the restaurant really looked after us. It was a Monday night and we arrived late, and were the last to leave the restaurant. Service was courteous and friendly, from picking out a good bottle of wine as well as helping create a personalized birthday dessert. Great local restaurant, love the ambience in the bistro, and have been a regular diner there but they outdid themselves this time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We thoroughly enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2013We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner! The service was excellent...prompt, but not too fast and very knowledgible & courteous. The food was fabulous...perfect portions; flavours & presentations.This was our first visit, but it definitely will not be our last! We will also highly recommend it to our friends.Special Features:
- Went for Valentines Day ...Foodie100999Dined on 2/14/2013Went for Valentines Day ... Great food and atmosphere - be prepared to $$$Special Features:
- Good for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013I booked for Valentain's day dinner. The food was very good and pricing reasonable. I wish they had a wider selectio of wines to choose from. Overall, we enjoyed the dinner very much.Special Features:
- It was very busy, and reallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/13/2012It was very busy, and really felt that the waiters were too busy to manage the amount of customers. It took us over 20 minutes to get the attention of anyone to get the bill after dessert was finished.Special Features: