Jonathan at Gratz Park
120 W Second St
Lexington, KY 40507Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Jonathan at Gratz Park
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.jagp.info/
- Phone: 8592524949
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 2:00pm
Dinner: Daily: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Jonathan Lundy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: TJ Cox 8592524949
A word from Jonathan at Gratz Park
Regional Redefined Cuisine in Historic Downtown Lexington, Located Inside the historic Gratz Park InnContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Jonathan at Gratz Park reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (31)fit for foodies (26)romantic (24)neighborhood gem (22)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (7)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (1)Show More
- Closing nightWineanddineDined on 6/28/2014I heard Jonathan's was closing, & booked a reservation. Their last night was our 34th anniversary! We ate in the dining room, tho we would have preferred the bar. There wasn't an option to choose on OT. Had the appetizer special, lettuce wraps of ground beef tenderloin, chili oil--can't remember what else. It was just OK, kind of dry and way too many lettuce leaves for the amount of meat mixture. Husband wanted to order some salad dressing and have the rest as his salad! I had the bourbon peach salmon, which was DELICIOUS, and I'm not really a big salmon fan! Hubby had the quail, which was also very good, if small, but quail ARE small. We were too full for dessert. Went to the bar for after dinner drinks, much more lively in there.
- Sad to see Jonathan's go!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/27/2014My partner and I had an incredible dining experience here during their closing weekend. It was our first time at Jonathan's and we wanted to experience it before it closed - SO glad we did!! Everything we had was phenomenal - scallop hot brown, mushroom-dusted sirloin, to name a few - and our server was attentive, pleasant, and helpful. If Jonathan's finds a new location, we'll be first in line!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to see it go...OldschoolgirlDined on 6/24/2014My husband and I were given a gift card recently to Jonathan's at Gratz Park. We reserved a table this past week because we heard they were closing. So our first visit was sadly our last visit. The ambiance was good- it's located in an older, historic hotel and it has a upscale country club feel. Because of its location, there was ample parking, which can be sometimes hard to find downtown. Our waiter was fantastic, and was attentive but not overbearing. The food was great- cooked to perfection, seasoned well, and presented nicely. We asked the waitstaff and found out that it's possible the restaurant will relocate, since it was not their decision to close. If it reopens, we'll be there!Special Features:
- Wonderful food and serviceSeripaDined on 6/23/2014Jonathan's is an amazing restaurant. It is obvious that Jonathan has a passion and a gift for food. I had trouble limiting what I ordered to an amount I could actually eat. We ended up with 2 appetizers (Pork fat fries and pimento cheese grit fried), both were delicious. I ordered deviled eggs instead of a whole salad and the server was more than happy to accommodate my off menu order. My husband enjoyed the grilled Caesar salad and said it was the best Caesar salads he's eaten. For entrees I had the Cajun fried chicken and my husband had the bacon wrapped filet. The fried chicken did not disappoint. The skin was crisp and flavorful and the meat juicy and tender. The filet was seasoned perfectly. We hope Jonathan will open a new restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sorry it's closing !MondegreenDined on 6/22/2014We have never had a bad meal at Jonathan's and are very sorry that it will be closing in a few days. The food is always excellent--innovative and deeply flavorful. We will be watching for that chef to open another venue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely mealAlisonDined on 6/21/2014The food is always outstanding. I really appreciate the allowance for special dietary needs. Service is good as well. I hope Jonathan opens another restaurant soon. I always feel it is a great place for a special date. And love the martinis.Special Features:
- Excellent dinnerHeavyGeeDined on 6/21/2014Everything was great. The four of us had beef tenderloin, chicken, shrimp and grits, and two small plates (sea scallops hot browns and fried oysters). The beer selection was limited (but I understand why). The other drinks and white wine were good. I'm sorry to see Jonathan leave Gratz Park and hope he finds another good location soon. May I suggest the Winchester Opera House and Moundale Manor in Winchester.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badbrad123VIPDined on 6/20/2014great restaurant with ""old Kentucky ambiance" A quant setting right in downtown Lexington within proximatety to everything.Special Features:
- Hope you'll be back!LovegoodfoodDined on 6/20/2014It was a bittersweet occasion but an incredible dinner that we enjoyed at this restaurant. From the fried green tomatoes with bacon jam to the generous filet mignon cooked to perfection, incredible potatoes au gratin with gouda cheese, and haricot vert to the Spaulding doughnut bread pudding with bourbon sauce, everything was perfection! We will miss your fine cuisine, Jonathan, and hope that you will find a new home for your restaurant here in Lexington.Special Features:
- So sad to see this restaurant closeTOMKATVIPDined on 6/19/2014We have always LOVED dining at Jonathan's. We are so sorry to see them close and hope they find an even better location soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delightlexingtonnativeDined on 6/19/2014I am a native Lexingtonian who drive 4 hrs to eat at Jonathan's restaurant as soon as I heard that the Gratz Park Inn did not renew Jonathan's lease. This restaurant was packed early on a Thursday. Why? Because the dishes are local and innovative (who else could braise pork belly in Ale-8-One with deeply delicious results?) and the service is impeccable. I have no doubt that Jonathan's will re-open in another location and will continue its success.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfection at the EndchtohaVIPDined on 6/17/2014Dinner at Jonathan's was simply perfect. With the hotel deciding not to renew the lease, fans were out in abundance and Jonathan was on hand to thank everyone. It's truly sad to see Lexington's most consistent and unique restaurant close. From the pot-stickers to the BBQ quail, everything was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulousOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/16/2014The food was outstanding. We took our 2 year old and she was thrilled with the sea scallop hot brown, and kids mac and cheese. The shiitake bacon served with the mushroom crusted steak was a delight. All in all this was a fabulous restaurant - the cocktails, food, service and ambience were all lovely and we would return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sad to See This GoCoachKoeplinDined on 6/15/2014We always go here when we are in Lexington, which is about twice a year. We've never had a bad meal. That's why we are sad to see the restaurant close. However, JL will succeed in his next venture, and we will be there to taste itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor ServiceralphDined on 6/13/2014Very disappointed, one of my favorites in Lexington. Jonathan not there, don't know if it had anything to do with the service. Service for my table of six was terrible! Food was average.
- Sad but GladKY1GourmandDined on 6/13/2014Our meal was excellent as always. Jonathan Lundy is possibly the best chef in Lexington. He has lost his lease at the Gratz Park Inn. I am saddened by this but I am gladdened that wherever he moves the dining experience will be fantastic. But of luck to him.I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a pleasure to dine heremkingDined on 6/13/2014Always a pleasure to dine here. It's a shame it's closing. Hope they open up again somewhere downtown.Special Features:
- Jonathan'sPhatnHappyDined on 6/11/2014Excellent atmosphere and even better food. I only wish I hadn't waited so long to have my first dining experience there. Shame on the owners who are forcing Jonathan's out of Gratz Park! How many Lexington landmark restaurants must we lose before these rapacious and self-serving property owners realize what they're doing to our local culture. I plan to avoid the next tenants taking the place of Jonathan's, no matter how great the reviews may be. To Jonathan Lundy, best of luck in your next endeavor. I'm sure you'll have a loyal following wherever you may go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite Lexington FindHoosierVIPDined on 6/8/2014Second visit in 2 years. This restaurant continues to deliver quality food and service.Special Features:
- Exceptional service and foodBeachvacaybabeVIPDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I dined at Jonathan's and were very pleased with the service, food and attention to detail. I had questions re: the wine list and was referred to a very knowledgeable employee whom suggested a delicious Bordeaux. The food further enhanced the entire fine dining experience. We would recommend Jonathan's to anyone wanting an exceptional dining and drink experience. Brunch is scrumptious as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 161 reviews are from the Jonathan at Gratz Park reviews archive.
- ExcellentHayjude52Dined on 6/1/2014Always great food and a special atmosphere...attentive and knowledgeable waiters....a favorite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still the best in town.....mcooper06Dined on 5/31/2014..quite simply the best. Wasn't disappointed in any part of the experience. Try the basil ice cream if they have it - it's brilliant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best restaurants in LexLexfoodieDined on 5/30/2014Jonathan's never disappoints. Great food from appetizers to dessert. Service is always excellent as well. Top notch all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Salt, Salt and more SaltaerislitigoDined on 5/28/2014We chose Jonathan's based on a recommendation and the Google reviews for our anniversary date this year. As a preface, I like salt. We were offered table bread. When it came, the dinner rolls were rolled in salt. The butter was also salted. Not great, but certainly a forgivable oversight. Next, our appetizer of the braised pork belly arrived. However, it was nearly inedible because of the over-salted slaw and sauce. My wife had the tomato soup which was well executed. I had the peach salad; a very small portion for the price, but excellent and well dressed. Both our entrees (bacon filet, mushroom filet) were perfectly cooked but over-salted. Our dining experience would have been at least a '3' if not for the ubiquitous and excessive salt.
- Good but need to improve servicerebrag33Dined on 5/24/2014Food was surprisingly interesting. The watermelon ceviche was refreshing...salmon was a bit dry. Had a large party, so the kitchen was very slowSpecial Features:
- OverratedmllcpaVIPDined on 5/23/2014The price does not match the food. The food was just ok. Small portions and nothing special. Would not go back.Special Features:
- RissaDined on 5/23/2014After hearing nothing but people raving, we went for lunch and were completely underwhelmed by the food and service.
- Birthday dinnerBirthdayDined on 5/19/2014The food and waiter were outstanding! The hostess tried to seat us in the bar when I had been told we would be in the dining room. She then reluctantly seated us in the dining room at the tiniest table after making us stand and checking the reservation again. As we were leaving, she barely looked up from her tablet. The hostess definitely was not up to the standards of the other service and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had Potential But No Home Run...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Took a group of friends out for dinner and enjoyed the evening. Very good atmosphere. Various entrees orders by the members of our party. Food was ok but not outstanding.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/17/2014Excellent dining experience.will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Treat on Mother's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/11/2014Tried Jonathan at Gratz Park for the first time on Mother's Day. It was simply outstanding, from the ambiance to the friendliness of the staff, and the amazing food. The Shrimp and Grits, lobster macaroni and cheese, and blackened grouper were all perfectly prepared. The homemade ice cream, particularly the carrot cake, was amazing. We will be back, and very soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Magnificent experiencekharvey1342Dined on 5/11/2014I made reservations and brought my mother and father for Mother's day brunch. It is extremely hard to impress my father and he absolutely loved Jonathan's! He said we could even come back for Father's Day!! haha. Overall, we had a wonderful, delicious experience and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great Mother's Day BrunchNoble1Dined on 5/11/2014Jonathan @ Gratz Park was the perfect setting for our Mother's Day Brunch. Relaxing, great food and service. Highly recommended. Unique menu items combined with culinary imagination.Special Features:
- Good food, but no special requests.MegIreneDined on 5/10/2014This was my first time at Jonathan's. It was a special occasion for our first wedding anniversary. I reserved a table online, and there was a portion where you could add comments. I had asked for a bottle of champagne, or a special drink, or just something to surprise my husband with a special treat. I would obviously pay for such thing. I waited and waited and was so excited - for it to never happen. Still, the food was good. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine Dining done RIGHT.HMTMHTDined on 5/9/2014Service was first class with servers that greeted with warm smiles and were quick to attend to the needs of our meal. The Pimento Cheese Grit Fries were a delightful appetizer that tickled the taste buds with pizazz. Presentation of the main dishes were fabulous which included: Blackberry BBQ Grilled Quail, Seared Sea Scallops, Maker's 46 Roasted Salmon, and dish of the day that included Pork Tenderloins. Everyone complimented on the exquisite tastes of their food. The noise level was a little loud and made quiet conversation across the table difficult at times. A party of about 20 was seated in the center of the room that caused the elevated noise level. The evening meal was enjoyable, this making my 4th trip and I will be making a 5th.Special Features:
- Perfect for post-graduationlexingtoncat42Dined on 5/9/2014Perfect place for post-graduation celebration meal. Really sad that this Lexington gem is closing. Excellent service and great food.Special Features:
- DecliningKDHDDined on 5/4/2014I was very disappointed with our meal on Sunday night. The food was just fair and that has not been the case in the past. Have you changed chefs or have you changed the menu? I just didn't enjoy or meal for the amount of money that we spent. Money really is not the issue but when you spend $50 or $60 you expect that it will be extraordinary and it was not. Sorry, I just don't think that I could recommend you all at this time. Maybe it was because it was a Sunday night and it is not traditionally a big night.
- One of Lexington's finestSefulDined on 5/3/2014Lexington has a lot of restaurants - this is amongst the best, lovely dining room, interesting menu and sublime tasting food! If only they served espresso........Special Features:
- Derby weekendLeebsDined on 5/2/2014Everything was fabulous & my server Troy was outstanding. He was so knowledgable about wine & bourbon. Next time I'm in lexington I'm going back!! Wonderful food & cocktails!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome PlaceHuntsvilleFoodiesDined on 5/2/2014The staff at the restaurant was so accomodating. We had reservations after an event. The traffic getting out of the event was so bad that we missed our reservation. We called the restaurant to let them know our dilemma and they told us no problem to just come when we could. We arrived an hour late and they sat us immediately. The entire meal was outstanding! The scallop hot brown is just fabulous. The salmon and shrimp and grits were excellent. They have a very extensive wine list and there is an impressive selection of mixoligist style cocktails that should not be missed. The service from the time we arrived until we left was exceptional. A great experience. We will be back!Special Features: