1457 Lincoln Avenue
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jolerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079425938x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,& Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Spector
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Sonjia Spector 7079425938x
A word from JoLe
JoLe is a Contemporary American Restaurant owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Matt and Sonjia Spector, chef and pastry chef, respectively. JoLe is the couple's second restaurant venture. Their first was the wildly successful, Matyson Restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu changes daily and is designed for flexibility: guests can pop in for a few a la carte dishes, or settle in for a multi course tasting menu that they design themselves. This lends itself well to the casual wine country pace. Matt uses organic, locally farmed ingredients as much as possible. Sonjia's desserts are updated versions of things her mom and grandmother made. Everything on the eclectic wine list is offered by the glass, half bottle, or bottle. The beer list is also fun, consisting of a wide variety of microbrews. JoLe also offers a full bar, specializing in small batch liquors. Even without reservations, bar and chef's counter seats are available on a first come, first serve basisContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
JoLe reviews from OpenTable diners
142 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (99)special occasion (66)notable wine list (66)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (53)hot spot (28)good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (6)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (4)great for lunch (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great pairings. Bad serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014The food and wine pairings were well thought out and tasted very good. On the night of our visit however the only waiter who had any knowledge of the menu was busy with a very rich couple in the corner. Subsequently we were left with two staff members who didn't have a clue. We also had to ask at one point for the wine that pairs with the cheese board. Very much felt like we were not important which was a shame as the food was excellent.Special Features:
- Amazing!...again!JdubDined on 8/25/2014Went for my Birthday dinner. My wife and I chose to do the 4 course tasting menu. Perfect from start to finish, we live in Calistoga and love coming to Jole. Excellent service from our bartender Carly and our waiter Daniel! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, food and wineOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Very good and enticing selection of dishes. This restaurant has an excellent choice of a 4 or 5 course taster menu with slightly smaller portions which was ideal for us. There is on top an added option of selected wines chosen for each course, the majority are local. The food was very nicely cooked and presented with some unusual but well thought out ingredients; the scallop dish for instance had warm scallop on a cold base. Unusual but very tasty. Great selection of local wines and the service with this was nothing short of exceptional, excellent. There is a real knowledge of the food and wine here and delivered helpfully and with enthusiasm. Full marks to Josh, Kayla and Daniel for their hospitality. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in CalistogoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/25/2014Staff was very attentive and knowledgeable, and they helped make our engagement celebration extra special. They offer us a complimentary glass of sparkling wine, the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavour over pretenseaitchDined on 8/23/2014JoLe is a small, savoury, quiet, and beautiful restaurant in downtown Calistoga. My wife and I had a wonderful dinning experience from start to finish. Although we arrived early for our reservation, we were seated promptly. The menu and it's multiple-entry options were explained fully and clearly. We are not big fans of California-style wines, we find them light. The sommelier suggested a local (a Calistoga wine) that filled our expectations, and was a perfect compliment to our dishes. An Inizi Charbono wine. We had a summer melon salad with watercress, the braised duck breast, and the lamb T-bone. Flavours were full, but not overwhelming. Desserts were a raspberry tart, and a chocolate nougat. This place is a most for flavours.Special Features:
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/23/2014Really disappointed by JoLe. First time I have written an in-depth OT review. I've never had worse service in my life. It first took 10 mins to get our table and 10 mins for the waitress to come take our order. 3 of 5 dishes then took 45 mins to arrive. They were all cold and had clearly been sitting for a while. The wild king salmon was so rare that it was inedible. The lamb tbone was rare and fatty. Management was rude and did not apologize for any of this even once. A birthday dinner was ruined by JoLe. Never coming back.
- Special OccasionOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014Individual dishes or a Wonderful tasting menu (our choice) that can be paired with wine or not. Be prepared to spend some serious money, but worth every cent. We will certainly be back again. Favorites: scallops, venison, duck. Be sure and make reservations especially on a weekend as we saw many hungry people gazing longingly into the window wishing they had a seat in this busy restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wineMisterPDined on 8/22/2014Came here again for our anniversary and it did not disappoint. We did the 5 course tasting with wine pairings. This a great way to try lots of things and taste some great wine too. My wife and I each chose four different tastings and a desert. We shared each one, so we had eight tasting and two desert tastings each. It was fantastic! The scallops were amazing!! The coconut pie is crazy good. The wine sommelier was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of info on local wineries in the area. Which led us to a fantastic winery, which I recommend, called Reverie. The staff at Jole is really on top of it, and make you feel so comfortable.Special Features:
- Wonderful TimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/21/2014We had our anniversary here and could not have picked a better spot. It's unpretentious, staff were helpful and attentive but not hovering. The tuna poke was terrific, baby corn, heirloom tomato salad, king salmon and octopus all awesome too. Our waiter helped us pick a wine that went well with our choices, a glass of champagne was brought out to help us celebrate. All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for dinnerKateyeDined on 8/20/2014Read the reviews and chose this place for a special dinner for the two of us. They gave us a terrible table at first, but as soon as a better one opened up they moved us. Service was pleasant and food was good. Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotJOLEDined on 8/17/2014What a great dining experience! We did the tasting menu and it was exquisite! The wine pairing was perfect. Experienced service. A little noisy and the tables for two are kind of awkward; otherwise, perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulJuliedDined on 8/15/2014Every bite is worth savoring. My favorite Calistoga spot for a special meal. Thanks for keeping up your top notch standards. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Eaters3Dined on 8/15/2014They forgot our drinks and when we asked about them, they offered no apologies and said they were working on them. When they finally arrived five minutes later, the waiter set them all on the end of the table for us to distribute among ourselves. Our food was also slow to come out of the kitchen, but when it did come, it was very good. My buttermilk fried quail was amazing and the octopus was another standout. The waitress was gracious about helping me choose my wine (I was the only one drinking wine that night.) She brought two bottles to the table for me to taste before committing to a glass. Overall, a fine experience, but the service was where it was lacking.
- OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Food was good but not great and the portions we're very small.
- Almost walked, glad we didn't!GustavoDined on 8/13/2014Went for the lamb tongue on internet menu. Not serving it any longer, strike 1. Menu is small with nothing that jumped out, strike 2. Decided to stay & very glad we did. Flavors were amazing!! Melon & lamb bacon appetizer, Delicious. Buttermilk quail & salmon were excellent! Throw in great drinks, dessert, and service and you have a lovely meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in Napa valleyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Fabulous food! Easy drive from St. Helena as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lackinggilbertDined on 8/9/2014Waited 15-20 min to get seated + 10-15 min to get my order taken. Other then that: the octopus was excellent, and I would never say no to the venison. Skip the cheeses.Special Features:
- Expansive and pretentious placeNadomDined on 8/7/2014The food was good but the portions are ridiculously small. the wine is expensive. Very pretentious restaurant.
- Beautiful FoodJvonDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant is consistently outstanding. From the delicious, creative cocktails at the bar to every bite of the tasting menu. I look forward to my visits here for original, perfectly prepared, thoughtful food, paired with well chosen wine. It is a treat to hand the wine paring decision over to a more knowledgeable person and not be disappointed with the pairing. I always recommend Jole to anyone who is going to Calistoga. It is possibly the best restaurant in the Napa Valley. Attentive service, special requests are done with grace. If the above review is unclear, I love this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not such an innocent marigoldHeidiJoyDined on 8/5/2014We started with the summer melon salad which was topped with a marigold - not just the petals but the whole flower. When I bit down on it, it's bitterness was overwhelming. I decided to swallow it and wash it down with my wine to rid the taste in my mouth. Fast forward to 48 hours later...my bathroom saw more visits than I care to state on this post. Beware of the innocent garnish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findliasVIPDined on 8/2/2014Fabulous food and service. Very personable. Recommend the tasting menus.Special Features:
- Wonderful food in a wonderful townNickDined on 8/1/2014I'm a British citizen and had never been to Napa Valley before. Calistoga is a great little town and this restaurant is a credit to it. My partner and I were taken care of extremely well all evening - despite the fact that the restaurant was very busy all evening. The venison was amongst the best I've ever had and my partner was impressed with the vegetarian options available. Not cheap, but we would definitely recommend JoLe.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cannot wait to returnwineslutVIPDined on 8/1/2014This was my second dinner at JoLe'. It was even better than the first. The Quail was especially wonderful.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/1/2014Delicious food beautifully presented. Nice wine list. Great evening!
- Outstanding Napa dining experienceMidwestfoodieDined on 7/31/2014We had a great meal. I definitely recommend the wine pairing. Every course delivered. We were here years age when it was Stomp. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- The best of our bestJAMsGemsDined on 7/30/2014Delicious meals from a creative and skilled chef served in a friendly and professional manner. We loved every bite and would happily returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lived up to reputationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014We chose JoLe based on a NY Times article on Napa that recommended this restaurant. It definitely lived up to its billing. the staff was very helpful and encouraged us to get the "tastings" menu which we also did with their wine pairings. I am glad we did it this way because we would have never picked the combinations ourselves. we had an assortment of dishes from octopus (amazing) to lamb to steak to scallops. all were wonderful. Our server that evening was also one of the assistants for the desserts, so of course we took her recommendation. The only thing slightly negative I noticed was that it was a bit loud when full of people, but that was easily overlooked with everything else. The town of Calistoga is a fun locale, too.Special Features:
- Great food.DoughydinerDined on 7/25/2014The service was fantastic and the food delicious!! I only wish it came with larger portions .luSpecial Features:
- Fantastic sommelierAndyKDined on 7/22/2014We had the tasting menu and were not disappointed. The food and wine combinations were excellent. The depth of knowledge about the wines and the Napa valley were fantastic. A bit pricey but highly recommended.Special Features:
- Calistoga findDiningDenizenVIPDined on 7/22/2014Inventive, flavorful food in a nice setting. Nice wine-the-glass list, too. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- Hit and missHungryVIPDined on 7/19/2014Food was hit and miss. One appetizer was very good (octopus), the other one mediocre (ahi tuna poke). One main was excellent (pork belly), the other one so so (fish dish could have been great but was a bit over)
- Great Tasting MenuRoccoDined on 7/16/2014The tasting menu was great. 4 courses for $55. Well prepared and timely service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a very enjoyable evening!JegerDined on 7/16/2014Overall a very nice dining experience with good service. The highlights of the evening were probably the wine recommendations and the calamares dish with chorizo! Very good! The disapointment of the evening was the grilled peppers (sorry to say) as they lacked the smokey dark grilled flavour and were a bit too greasy compared to a similar (but exceptional) at Torc the previous night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall experience was average.JohnGaultDined on 7/15/2014I would not choose to eat at JoLe again. There are simply too many other choices in the area with better food, wine lists, and service in the same price range. By contrast, our experience at Market in St. Helena was far better, both in food experience and service level. In addition, Market has a better wine list and does not mark up their wines significantly.
- Ah we must be in Europe!GinnyVIPDined on 7/13/2014I love octopus cooked right. They nailed it. The chef gave it a little Spanish twist which was delightful. The octopus was tender and oh so deliciousl. If you haven't had a tender octopus, come here! My husband had the pork belly. He was not sure about it because the ingredients for the dish seemed to be too "artsy". But when I looked over at his dish halfway through the meal, there was not even a smell left on the plate. And dessert was just sinful. Oh you will love it. But leave a table for us because we will be back.Special Features:
- ExcellentYummy4ourtummyDined on 7/7/2014Jole exceeded our expectations! The food was excellent and Becca, our server, was fabulous. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The place to go in Napa Valley!Flowergirl53Dined on 7/6/2014We continue to be impressed with the creative cuisine at JoLe. The flavor combinations are what you would expect out if a much more expensive restaurant. The imagination and flair of the chef is apparent in each dish. Mediterranean Octopus salad is incredible. My husband had the venison and loved every bite. I had Alaskan halibut and the flavors were amazing. I love going out and having the option of eating something I would never make, like chicken fried veal sweetbreads or sweet tea marinated duck. The staff is helpful and generous with their time. This is a place you will not want to miss, with better food than some of its more famous neighbors, at reasonable prices in a lovely atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious in CalistogadelciosoDined on 7/5/2014WE had a fantastic meal at Jole. All farm to table local produce and delicious preparations California cuisine style. Delicious, can't wait to go backSpecial Features:
- Reserv not honored once again...Billy2013VIPDined on 7/3/2014Reservation not honored once again. It gets dark 9pm now, so made advanced OT reservation for 9pm dinner. Arrived 9pm & Manager again says that "our table" is just paying their bill & "it should be only a few minutes" & we should wait in the adjoining hotel lobby. He then asked if he could bring us a drink while we were waiting. Another table group was already out waiting in the lobby then too. By 9:15 or so, the manager came out & said "it should be a little longer." Nearer 9:30 he came out with 2 complimentary glasses of wine & a good appetizer that he never asked us if we liked or wanted. By 9:40 or so he got us & said he knew we requested a booth BUT had a "table for 4" open & we could sit near one another (we wanted a booth)...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun ExperienceCupcakeDined on 7/3/2014If you are looking for a big meal not a good place to go. But if you want to have cocktails and tapas it's perfect. It was energetic. Our waiter was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.