1457 Lincoln Avenue
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jolerestaurant.com/
- Phone: (707) 942-5938
- Hours of Operation:
Happy hour nightly 4-6pm
Dinner: Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,& Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Spector
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: James Cerda 7079425938x
A word from JoLe
JoLe is a Contemporary American Restaurant owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Matt and Sonjia Spector, chef and pastry chef, respectively. JoLe is the couple's second restaurant venture. Their first was the wildly successful, Matyson Restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu changes daily and is designed for flexibility: guests can pop in for a few a la carte dishes, or settle in for a multi course tasting menu that they design themselves. This lends itself well to the casual wine country pace. Matt uses organic, locally farmed ingredients as much as possible. Sonjia's desserts are updated versions of things her mom and grandmother made. Everything on the eclectic wine list is offered by the glass, half bottle, or bottle. The beer list is also fun, consisting of a wide variety of microbrews. JoLe also offers a full bar, specializing in small batch liquors. Even without reservations, bar and chef's counter seats are available on a first come, first serve basisContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
JoLe reviews from OpenTable diners
151 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (119)notable wine list (80)special occasion (69)romantic (60)neighborhood gem (56)hot spot (30)good for groups (15)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- suggestion for CalistadollyDined on 11/18/2014The service was great, after so many nights on vacation we were looking for quaint...it was. We were looking for great food and wine selection. ...the wine options were delicious and the food, well we decided to go with the serving option of 3 and 4 each more protein for my guy and a couple for me with a sweet at thw end. It was a nice way to try something new...like sweethearts. The only negative was that when we asked for olive oil instead of butter for our bread it was BAD. I still want the best EVOO for dipping bread and it seems we are going back to salted butter instead in many restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014My partner and I had an incredible time at Jolē. The squid was amazing! Our server Anna was an absolute joy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meh.BigCityDined on 11/10/2014We ate at JoLe on a Monday night while we were visiting Calistoga for a romantic getaway. We definitely were in the mood for a good meal. Boy, we were disappointed! We ordered 4 dishes (2 apps and 2 entrees). 2 were good and 2 were mediocre. The kicker was that the prices were high and the portions small. The appetizers were the beet salad (meh.) and brussell sprout shavings (very good). The entrees were the duck (tough, undercooked and not flavorful) and 4, just 4, sea scallops (tasty). We decided to stay for dessert and were underwhelmed with the flourless chocolate cake. Coffee was delicious, though.
- Amazing dessertsMoeDarlingDined on 11/9/2014We have been to Jole a couple of times for dessert and they were always amazing. So we decided this last time we would go for dinner. Good reviews and creative menu. We picked tuna, mussels, and quail. The tuna was very well done. The mussels were delicious and had an amazing broth that was wonderful especially to dip bread in! The quail was not my favorite. I have had quail before and like the skin crispy and the quail cooked so that its not pink at the bone. This quail skin and texture was chewy and it was pink at the bone. I only ate one piece because I didn't find it appealing. Then we had coconut pie which again is quite delicious. Light and airy. Mmmmm I would suggest to anyone to try this restaurant. Has lots to offer!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly and Delicious GetawayimjelloDined on 11/8/2014A great place to dine. I felt it was the same caliber of food, service, & attention to detail as what I get in a San Francisco trendy, non-snobby restaurant. This can be a rarity in small towns so I appreciated it, wanted to highlight that detail, & more importantly, no Hipsters were seen. We had a wonderful server with attention to detail. I requested an ice cream substitution for our apple pot pie & he gave us both the ice cream that came with our dessert in addition to my substitution request. The banana caramel ice cream request was soo refreshing & tasty! The bartender was warm, friendly, & made a delicious Kentuckelberry Mule. Mediterranean Octopus was delicious & melted in our mouths! Thank you, Jole!Special Features:
- Delicious, sophisticated diningRGPDDined on 11/8/2014My husband had 3 main dishes, 2 salad and an octopus dish, and I had the tasting menu of 4 dishes, lamb, quail, venison, and a beet salad. All dishes were delicious, sophisticated, and the portions more than reasonable. The service was friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quaint but happeningBobbyDined on 11/8/2014This is obviously a popular place. People of all ages were dining. This restaurant is small with a small bar but there is lots of action. Although the food was excellent, the menu is not universal - the average person may have trouble finding something they like. I thought the service was a bit slow, but again, it's Calistoga. It took too long to get our first drink - to me, that's really important. the waitstaff was very nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be sure to RSVP!tabletennisguruDined on 11/8/2014A few days before our trip to Calistoga, I checked opentable for Jole and there were two time slots available: early dinner or a later dinner. We picked the early time slot and glad we did. It wasn't too busy when we got there but it started filling up. We saw quite a few couples get turned away because they didn't have reservations although the restaurant looked empty. Within 30 minutes, every table was filled. FOOD: Bread was warm out of the oven which was delicious! I got the duck and my wife got the Halibut. Both dishes were delicious and a good size, but probably not enough to share unless you got an app.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationAllegrovVIPDined on 11/3/2014This was our third visit to Jole and, once again, it delivered! Terrific flavors combined with extremely friendly service made my birthday celebration a special one. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Creative foodGInnyVIPDined on 11/1/2014cuisine on par with starred restaurants. our waiter was excellent. the wine steward was charming and knowledgable. we had a cold draft which they helped by turning the fan down for awhile only. The bussing...replacing silverware and water...was clumsily done for such a great restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch fare in CalistogaeatlocallyDined on 10/30/2014Chic, urban bistro meets wine country casual. Amazing food by Chef/Owner Matt Spector and his wife/partner/pastry chef Sonjia. Opted for the four course tasting menu with generous small plates of pumpkin gnocchi, dayboat scallops, and hangar steak, all creative and thoughtfully prepared dishes. Desserts deserve their good press. Fantastic coconut cream pie and fresh apple tart with house made vanilla ice cream. Wine pairing is a wonderful addition and the recommended wine by the glass was superb as well. Can't say enough except that we look forward to a return visit, especially as the menu changes daily offering new seasonal cuisine.Special Features:
- Great small plates and wine pairingTetonDinerVIPDined on 10/29/2014The perfect place in Calistoga for a 4-5 (including desert and don't pass that up as the owner is a pastry chef) small plate dinner with the option of terrific wine pairing. The staff is on point, the sommelier is well educated yet does not intimidate. A definite repeater.Special Features:
- Calistoga VisitWineLoverDined on 10/28/2014Of the five dining experiences that we enjoyed while visiting the Napa Valley, JoLe was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!crockomanderDined on 10/26/2014Really high quality food and inventive flavors. Our server was knowledgable about wine pairings. I liked that the plates were smaller and you could order a few selections to share. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:
- Loved it!SheSheDined on 10/25/2014This restaurant has a couple options when ordering: either a la carte or a set menu with wine pairings. You can choose from 4, 5 or 6 courses including dessert. They are smaller portioned so you get a taste of a good range of their offerings which change rather frequently. We chose the 4 course and even though we were pretty hungry at our 8:45pm reservation, we left full. The wines they selected went very well with all of the dishes. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!!Tyson0531Dined on 10/24/2014We loved our experience at JoLe. The food was great we loved the small plates. The service was excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/23/2014Very creative food! Knowledgeable, efficient wait staff. Very efficient kitchen.Special Features:
- Special needsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014The chef was willing to accommodate my special dietary needs with an especially tasty set of dishes. I was thrilled with the food and so grateful for the accommodation.
- A gastronomic delight2perky4meDined on 10/13/2014From the moment we per used their menu I was hooked. At first the three$$$ on yelp scared us but we decided it would be worth it. Where else could you dine on octopus with chorizo in the same dish or sweet breads wrapped in bacon. The the moment we stepped the service was impeccable but also warm and inviting. Our servers food knowledge made us salivate all the more. Josh who paired the wine with each course was so articulate in explaining what, where, and how about the wine. I am so glad that we chose to dine there and look forward to going again. Also it goes without saying that the food was amazing and unique which my daughter and I loved.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meal in CalistogaHappytobeoutDined on 10/11/2014JoLe was amazing from beginning to end. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable. We highly recommend the tasting menu with the wine pairing. Hardest working som! We loved every morsel. Of note, the fig salad, octopus, braised beef, and of course the amazing coconut cream pie for dessert. I whole heartlessly recommend this restaurant to everyone staying in the valley.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Visitors from the UKTomCDined on 10/8/2014Restaurant recommended by our hotel (Wine Way Inn which was also excellent) and we weren't disappointed. My wife particularly enjoyed her pumpkin starter and I had duck for my main which was superb. We chose good winer and the bill was $300 with the tip. Not cheap but worth it.Special Features:
- Set in the middle of CalistogaFoodtravelerVIPDined on 10/7/2014Wonderful seasonal food creatively presented in a rehabbed charming building in downtown Calistoga. Would definitely return.Special Features:
- Anniversary DinnerJustusonvacationagainDined on 10/7/2014I decided to try Jole based on reviews found online. I was skeptical as I saw on many reviews that the portion sizes were small. This was not the case. My wife and I left feeling full. All the food had amazing flavor combinations and well presented. The service was top notch. We were provided a glass of champagne after being seated to celebrate our Anniversary. I was impressed that the had read my comments on the reservation and took it upon themselves to go the extra mile. While the menu seemed a little outside our comfort zone for choices, it ended up being an amazing meal and experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/7/2014This was a truly magical birthday experience. I loved the tasting menu, and my whole party agreed we felt full even with the 3 smaller courses and a desert. The wine knowledge was superior and we settled on a wine that the server said would compliment any meal. He was right! Overall a wonderful night. I don't think they get many people with small children. I used open table to reserve ahead to let JoLe know that we were accompanied by an infant and my wish to be out of the aisle. I did not realize the dining space was somewhat tight. And I only wish the restaurant could have informed me that they had no infant/toddler seating. I did feel a little embarrased that my stroller took up space servers had to manuever around it.Special Features:
- Best in CalistogaDrRobDined on 10/3/2014Outstanding. Sort of pricey and small servings but definitely a repeater.Special Features:
- Really wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/3/2014The food and wine were unique and so yummy. We got a middle table but the staff was really great and it turned out fine. I would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A new fave!PattyHDined on 10/2/2014Loved our dinner at JoLe. Yummy, fresh local food -- shared several plates amongst the table to get the full experience. Knowledgable waiter reco'd a nice bottle of wine to accompany. First class all the way!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine country experienceTamaraDined on 9/27/2014You can experience wine country from this lovely Calistoga restaurant by ordering their well priced and tasty 4, 5 or 6 coursed pairing menu. Each course was perfectly paired with a local wine (one of which was an incredible pinot which the restaurant sells for $90) and the sommelier and server described each dish/glass with interesting tid bits about the winery, etc. It was a treat and a lovely enhancement to our weekend in this charming Napa valley town.Special Features:
- Wine pairing a must!hollyTDined on 9/26/2014Without a doubt one of the best meals I've ever had. The four course with wine pairing was amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and DelightfulAllAmericanExpatDined on 9/23/2014The 4 course wine pairings were all superb and the wait staff were the best we have ever experienced - Jo Le's reputation is well deserved. We travelled 9,000 miles to have dinner at this restaurant and plan to do it again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night at JolevlonghitanoDined on 9/21/2014My group has dined at Jole previously, and I knew that the food would be exceptional, and we weren't disappointed. We had the food pairing with wine, and some the wine selection wasn't up to par. My group is not particularly fond of pinot noir, and 2 of the wines that were paired with our food were pinot noirs. We didn't feel that those pairing enhanced either the food or the wine, which makes me wonder if it's a true pairing, or just a gimmick to sell that particular wine. TBDSpecial Features:
- bilbyDined on 9/20/2014...food worthy of a high-end SF restaurant, but at a 40% discount and with a friendly, professional staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on foodLaddDined on 9/18/2014Fantastic food, great service. Love the sweetbreads! Never even knew what they were before. My only beef is totally superficial. There are two pieces of "art" on the walls that are basically dirty egg crates. So Wierd and out of place. It looks like trash on the wall! Good totally makes up for it though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBillRDined on 9/17/2014Equivalent to the French Laundry at less than half the price. All food items and we had 9 between us were excellent, service was also excellent, wine pairings were explained well. all in all a great experience and value if you like fine dining.Special Features:
- Great flavorsTablefortwoDined on 9/17/2014JoLe offers a very tasty menu, farm to fork driven. My wife and I visited for an early dinner. We were sat/served before our reservation. The server was knowledgeable and pleasant. From apps to dessert it was very apparent the chefs put plenty of thought into there menu. Each dish was bursting with flavor and portions which suited out appetites. We will revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectKja1977Dined on 9/15/2014Great food, the tasting menu with wine was fantastic. Small portion sizes for USA so we could eat all 4 courses and enjoy them. Staff were very helpful with recommendations. Wine advice on matching was brilliant and the description provided with each course really enhanced our understanding of food/wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally a great mealBaileyCDined on 9/14/2014JoLe is our go to restaurant when in Calistoga. We always order at least 4 dishes and usually they are all good. This last visit the gnocchi was outstanding, best I have ever had. We continue to be disappointed with the sweetbreads. Why wrap them in bacon, please go back to the sweetbreads in just a nice cream sauce. You have proven you can master sauces, it is a waste to wrap the sweetbreads in bacon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUVTHEFOODLUV2DINEDined on 9/13/2014Varied selection, great food, wine and dessert. For a first date,or a special celebration, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed!dgnapaDined on 9/12/2014This is one restaurant I will skip next time, for sure. The service was terrible, the portions were very small, the food tasted just okay, and it was very expensive! This restaurant is in the town where I live, in the Napa Valley, and I didn't recognize any of the wines on the list as many were from other countries. I asked the waitress to recommend a chardonnay...heavy and full bodied...and what I got was light and fruity. It also took her ten minutes to bring it to the table, and we were sitting right next to the bar! She was too busy chatting with someone at the other end of the room. The owners are apparently the chef and pastry chef, but as a chef myself, I felt the food was pretty bland.
- jole has great fooddwooDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated your anniversary and they gave us complimentary glasses of sparkling wine. It was a nice touch and very good tasting. We had reservations for 5 pm and got there 10 minutes early. She was going to seat us right on the middle of the restaurant. We asked to sit closer to the Windows and were accommodated. Service was great, attentive and knowledgeable. He recommended some good dishes as well. We opted for the 4 course sampler. Very small portions but by the time we left we were stuffed. We each chose three different items and all were superb. The hanger steak was more rare than medium but great flavor. Dessert was the bomb, these looked like a full serving and was reserved for the last course.flourless choc cake was very sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.