1457 Lincoln Avenue
Calistoga, CA 94515Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jolerestaurant.com/
- Phone: 7079425938x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday,Monday,Tuesday,Wednesday,& Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Matt Spector
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Sonjia Spector 7079425938x
A word from JoLe
JoLe is a Contemporary American Restaurant owned and operated by husband-and-wife team Matt and Sonjia Spector, chef and pastry chef, respectively. JoLe is the couple's second restaurant venture. Their first was the wildly successful, Matyson Restaurant in Philadelphia. The menu changes daily and is designed for flexibility: guests can pop in for a few a la carte dishes, or settle in for a multi course tasting menu that they design themselves. This lends itself well to the casual wine country pace. Matt uses organic, locally farmed ingredients as much as possible. Sonjia's desserts are updated versions of things her mom and grandmother made. Everything on the eclectic wine list is offered by the glass, half bottle, or bottle. The beer list is also fun, consisting of a wide variety of microbrews. JoLe also offers a full bar, specializing in small batch liquors. Even without reservations, bar and chef's counter seats are available on a first come, first serve basisContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
JoLe reviews from OpenTable diners
153 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (115)notable wine list (77)special occasion (72)neighborhood gem (58)romantic (57)hot spot (30)good for groups (10)late-night find (9)vibrant bar scene (5)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Wine country experienceTamaraDined on 9/27/2014You can experience wine country from this lovely Calistoga restaurant by ordering their well priced and tasty 4, 5 or 6 coursed pairing menu. Each course was perfectly paired with a local wine (one of which was an incredible pinot which the restaurant sells for $90) and the sommelier and server described each dish/glass with interesting tid bits about the winery, etc. It was a treat and a lovely enhancement to our weekend in this charming Napa valley town.Special Features:
- Delicious and DelightfulAllAmericanExpatDined on 9/23/2014The 4 course wine pairings were all superb and the wait staff were the best we have ever experienced - Jo Le's reputation is well deserved. We travelled 9,000 miles to have dinner at this restaurant and plan to do it again next year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night at JolevlonghitanoDined on 9/21/2014My group has dined at Jole previously, and I knew that the food would be exceptional, and we weren't disappointed. We had the food pairing with wine, and some the wine selection wasn't up to par. My group is not particularly fond of pinot noir, and 2 of the wines that were paired with our food were pinot noirs. We didn't feel that those pairing enhanced either the food or the wine, which makes me wonder if it's a true pairing, or just a gimmick to sell that particular wine. TBDSpecial Features:
- bilbyDined on 9/20/2014...food worthy of a high-end SF restaurant, but at a 40% discount and with a friendly, professional staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spot on foodLaddDined on 9/18/2014Fantastic food, great service. Love the sweetbreads! Never even knew what they were before. My only beef is totally superficial. There are two pieces of "art" on the walls that are basically dirty egg crates. So Wierd and out of place. It looks like trash on the wall! Good totally makes up for it though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentBillRDined on 9/17/2014Equivalent to the French Laundry at less than half the price. All food items and we had 9 between us were excellent, service was also excellent, wine pairings were explained well. all in all a great experience and value if you like fine dining.Special Features:
- Great flavorsTablefortwoDined on 9/17/2014JoLe offers a very tasty menu, farm to fork driven. My wife and I visited for an early dinner. We were sat/served before our reservation. The server was knowledgeable and pleasant. From apps to dessert it was very apparent the chefs put plenty of thought into there menu. Each dish was bursting with flavor and portions which suited out appetites. We will revisit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectKja1977Dined on 9/15/2014Great food, the tasting menu with wine was fantastic. Small portion sizes for USA so we could eat all 4 courses and enjoy them. Staff were very helpful with recommendations. Wine advice on matching was brilliant and the description provided with each course really enhanced our understanding of food/wine pairing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally a great mealBaileyCDined on 9/14/2014JoLe is our go to restaurant when in Calistoga. We always order at least 4 dishes and usually they are all good. This last visit the gnocchi was outstanding, best I have ever had. We continue to be disappointed with the sweetbreads. Why wrap them in bacon, please go back to the sweetbreads in just a nice cream sauce. You have proven you can master sauces, it is a waste to wrap the sweetbreads in bacon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUVTHEFOODLUV2DINEDined on 9/13/2014Varied selection, great food, wine and dessert. For a first date,or a special celebration, this is the place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed!dgnapaDined on 9/12/2014This is one restaurant I will skip next time, for sure. The service was terrible, the portions were very small, the food tasted just okay, and it was very expensive! This restaurant is in the town where I live, in the Napa Valley, and I didn't recognize any of the wines on the list as many were from other countries. I asked the waitress to recommend a chardonnay...heavy and full bodied...and what I got was light and fruity. It also took her ten minutes to bring it to the table, and we were sitting right next to the bar! She was too busy chatting with someone at the other end of the room. The owners are apparently the chef and pastry chef, but as a chef myself, I felt the food was pretty bland.
- jole has great fooddwooDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated your anniversary and they gave us complimentary glasses of sparkling wine. It was a nice touch and very good tasting. We had reservations for 5 pm and got there 10 minutes early. She was going to seat us right on the middle of the restaurant. We asked to sit closer to the Windows and were accommodated. Service was great, attentive and knowledgeable. He recommended some good dishes as well. We opted for the 4 course sampler. Very small portions but by the time we left we were stuffed. We each chose three different items and all were superb. The hanger steak was more rare than medium but great flavor. Dessert was the bomb, these looked like a full serving and was reserved for the last course.flourless choc cake was very sweet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great gempikesonbikesDined on 9/11/2014We had high expectations for our visit and was very surprised at the fresh selections of dishes and choices. The service and friendliness of the restaurant staff was very nice. We look forward to a return visitSpecial Features:
- Jole is the bestjodonnell915Dined on 9/9/2014This was our second time here and they never fail to disappoint. We ordered the duck, venison, and scallop dishes and all were excellent! Our server took special care to find us a wine that went with all three. Dessert was excellent as well...coconut cream pie and a lemongrass crème brûlée. Can't wait to go back again!Special Features:
- HaliVIPDined on 9/9/2014Overrated! Food was average. It took ten minutes for someone to get our drink order once we sat and once we ordered drinks took 11 minutes! We were very disappointed.
- Spectacular food, fantastic serviceLuv2travelDined on 9/9/2014We made reservations at JoLe for our anniversary. Wasn't exactly what I pictured as the music started off very loud and I thought it would be a more romantic atmosphere. We got the 4 course tasting menu paired with wines. The food was spectacular and the service was fantastic. My boyfriend has several food allergies that they easily accommodated without it being any inconvenience. The wines paired wonderfully with our courses. The seared duck breast was my favorite and he loved the venison. Overall, wonderful dinner and experience. Only other negative was that I was freezing. The air was kicking almost the whole time and I had to wear my jacket for most of the time there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LandTLandTDined on 9/8/2014We were very pleased to the restaurant. Service was fantastic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/6/2014one of our favorite places in the Valley - America - bar manager - is delightful. and quite knowledgeable - food very good - we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulEd49Dined on 9/6/2014Jole was amazing. The staff works together very well to make sure guests have a top form experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistantly greatwineslutVIPDined on 9/4/2014My fourth time at this restaurant, and it always impresses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seafood… Eat it!MartinDined on 9/4/2014It's obvious from the menu and the food that the Chef loves seafood - so don't be afraid to leave the meat alone for once. The meat dishes are good, don't get me wrong, the seafood it better. The salmon was a standout - it's price point was ballsy being one of the most expensive items on the menu, so we knew we had to back the chef and order it… it was one of the best pieces of salmon we could remember. The tomato salad was amazing too as tomatoes were in season at the time. Make a reservation at probably the best restaurant in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love This Place!BobbiDined on 9/4/2014Innovative and diverse menu. Tasting menu was our choice, and each dish was superbly presented and seasoned. Service was very pleasant and attentive, but never intrusive. The restaurant knew it was our anniversary, and we were presented with two glasses of champagne immediately upon sitting down. A lovely meal from start to finish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!!LizberryDined on 9/3/2014Everything was great! The food, the drinks, the dessert and the service! The flavors were se carefully selected and paired. I will return next time we are in Calistoga.Special Features:
- Good food, FREEZING AC this timeBilly2013VIPDined on 8/31/2014Good food as usual, but TOTALLY FREEZING AC this time. Almost EVERY hotly dressed woman leaving to get COAT so could stay & eat & not shiver!!! Told Staff & Manager, not much better :(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food's Good, but Bring a FlyswatterPBRogerioDined on 8/30/2014Food was good, but the place was swarming with flies when they opened at 5:00. Spent most of my time waving my hands around to keep flies off my food. Advice to the restaurant: install an air curtain on the entrance, and kill all flies in the restaurant before you open. Probably would go back if the problem is solved, but probably wouldn't otherwise.
- Second time just as gooddustygirlVIPDined on 8/27/2014This was our second time here. The food is delicious and creative. The staff were all helpful and knowledgeable. Every visit to Calistoga should include a dinner here.Special Features:
- Great pairings. Bad serviceFoodieDined on 8/26/2014The food and wine pairings were well thought out and tasted very good. On the night of our visit however the only waiter who had any knowledge of the menu was busy with a very rich couple in the corner. Subsequently we were left with two staff members who didn't have a clue. We also had to ask at one point for the wine that pairs with the cheese board. Very much felt like we were not important which was a shame as the food was excellent.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014Great menu with wine pairings if you want. Was our most expensive meal this trip, but was worth the money.Special Features:
- Amazing!...again!JdubDined on 8/25/2014Went for my Birthday dinner. My wife and I chose to do the 4 course tasting menu. Perfect from start to finish, we live in Calistoga and love coming to Jole. Excellent service from our bartender Carly and our waiter Daniel! Can't wait to go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent service, food and wineSalemKatDined on 8/25/2014Very good and enticing selection of dishes. This restaurant has an excellent choice of a 4 or 5 course taster menu with slightly smaller portions which was ideal for us. There is on top an added option of selected wines chosen for each course, the majority are local. The food was very nicely cooked and presented with some unusual but well thought out ingredients; the scallop dish for instance had warm scallop on a cold base. Unusual but very tasty. Great selection of local wines and the service with this was nothing short of exceptional, excellent. There is a real knowledge of the food and wine here and delivered helpfully and with enthusiasm. Full marks to Josh, Kayla and Daniel for their hospitality. Definitely recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem in CalistogoHappilyengagedDined on 8/25/2014Staff was very attentive and knowledgeable, and they helped make our engagement celebration extra special. They offer us a complimentary glass of sparkling wine, the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavour over pretenseaitchDined on 8/23/2014JoLe is a small, savoury, quiet, and beautiful restaurant in downtown Calistoga. My wife and I had a wonderful dinning experience from start to finish. Although we arrived early for our reservation, we were seated promptly. The menu and it's multiple-entry options were explained fully and clearly. We are not big fans of California-style wines, we find them light. The sommelier suggested a local (a Calistoga wine) that filled our expectations, and was a perfect compliment to our dishes. An Inizi Charbono wine. We had a summer melon salad with watercress, the braised duck breast, and the lamb T-bone. Flavours were full, but not overwhelming. Desserts were a raspberry tart, and a chocolate nougat. This place is a most for flavours.Special Features:
- Terrible experiencenbt123VIPDined on 8/23/2014Really disappointed by JoLe. First time I have written an in-depth OT review. I've never had worse service in my life. It first took 10 mins to get our table and 10 mins for the waitress to come take our order. 3 of 5 dishes then took 45 mins to arrive. They were all cold and had clearly been sitting for a while. The wild king salmon was so rare that it was inedible. The lamb tbone was rare and fatty. Management was rude and did not apologize for any of this even once. A birthday dinner was ruined by JoLe. Never coming back.
- Special OccasionKevinsDealDined on 8/23/2014Individual dishes or a Wonderful tasting menu (our choice) that can be paired with wine or not. Be prepared to spend some serious money, but worth every cent. We will certainly be back again. Favorites: scallops, venison, duck. Be sure and make reservations especially on a weekend as we saw many hungry people gazing longingly into the window wishing they had a seat in this busy restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and wineMisterPDined on 8/22/2014Came here again for our anniversary and it did not disappoint. We did the 5 course tasting with wine pairings. This a great way to try lots of things and taste some great wine too. My wife and I each chose four different tastings and a desert. We shared each one, so we had eight tasting and two desert tastings each. It was fantastic! The scallops were amazing!! The coconut pie is crazy good. The wine sommelier was very knowledgeable and gave us lots of info on local wineries in the area. Which led us to a fantastic winery, which I recommend, called Reverie. The staff at Jole is really on top of it, and make you feel so comfortable.Special Features:
- Wonderful TimeMmsjjkDined on 8/21/2014We had our anniversary here and could not have picked a better spot. It's unpretentious, staff were helpful and attentive but not hovering. The tuna poke was terrific, baby corn, heirloom tomato salad, king salmon and octopus all awesome too. Our waiter helped us pick a wine that went well with our choices, a glass of champagne was brought out to help us celebrate. All in all a wonderful experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for dinnerKateyeDined on 8/20/2014Read the reviews and chose this place for a special dinner for the two of us. They gave us a terrible table at first, but as soon as a better one opened up they moved us. Service was pleasant and food was good. Definitely worth a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little spotJOLEDined on 8/17/2014What a great dining experience! We did the tasting menu and it was exquisite! The wine pairing was perfect. Experienced service. A little noisy and the tables for two are kind of awkward; otherwise, perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always WonderfulJuliedDined on 8/15/2014Every bite is worth savoring. My favorite Calistoga spot for a special meal. Thanks for keeping up your top notch standards. Will be back soon.Special Features:
- Eaters3Dined on 8/15/2014They forgot our drinks and when we asked about them, they offered no apologies and said they were working on them. When they finally arrived five minutes later, the waiter set them all on the end of the table for us to distribute among ourselves. Our food was also slow to come out of the kitchen, but when it did come, it was very good. My buttermilk fried quail was amazing and the octopus was another standout. The waitress was gracious about helping me choose my wine (I was the only one drinking wine that night.) She brought two bottles to the table for me to taste before committing to a glass. Overall, a fine experience, but the service was where it was lacking.