160 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jojorestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: 2122235656x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am-3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:00pm, Sunday 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Special Events Contact: Farah Abad (212) 358-0688 ext.28 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from JoJo
JoJo offers relaxed yet elegant dining on two floors of a quaint, turn-of-the-century brownstone on the Upper East Side. The first of Jean-Georges’ restaurants in New York City, this neighborhood gem opened in 1991 to rave reviews. It was voted best new restaurant of the year by Esquire magazine and has retained its three-star status from the New York Times for 21 years. Regarding the name, JoJo was Chef Jean-Georges’ nickname as a young boy. Jojo is a hospitable setting for a casual dinner, special occasion, or private party. Guests can feel comfortable in jeans or in evening attire. The contemporary French menu still features some well-loved original dishes, including the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
JoJo reviews from OpenTable diners
336 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (179)fit for foodies (161)neighborhood gem (157)special occasion (150)great for lunch (87)great for brunch (50)notable wine list (36)good for groups (13)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- rgskolVIPDined on 10/29/2014Although fairly noisy, our group of 6 had a consistently very good dining experience - food, service, ambiance. Rare to have such a fine neighborhood spot with such high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and romanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014The restaurant has the ambience of a cozy room in Paris....in the late 19th century. The service was impeccable. The wait staff was very attentive but kept a discrete distance when service was not required. The food was delicious. It's the perfect place to go on a romantic date.Special Features:
- Did not disappoint.BobbyBDined on 10/28/2014We had a lovely anniversary dinner. The staff was wonderful, and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 10/28/2014The prix fix lunch at JoJo is an outstanding value. The tuna tartare was fresh; the crab dish delicious. I had cod for a main course, and it was terrific. Dessert here is wonderful, especially the molten chocolate cake. Very pleasant, relaxed environment, and they were kind enough to give us a large table, even though we were only two, because I requested it on Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAlowderDined on 10/25/2014Best meal I've had in NYC. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go for weekday lunchsissibeeVIPDined on 10/24/2014Service was very slow. We had to wait 25 minutes for French fries for children. The waitresses were not helpful, not kind, arrogant. No kid menu available. One waitress said they could prepare plain pasta for children but the next one said it was impossible. Choice between one fix price menu too big and too long with appetizer, entree and dessert or expensive plates at la carte. Nothing is simple, nor casual for lunch. Very old fashioned style.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/23/2014Jojo is our go to restaurant. Consistently excellent cuisine from Ron Gallo. Professionally run. Jean George's first indecent restaurant. Bravo for 23 years of excellence. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janegoldVIPDined on 10/20/2014altho the wait staff made an effort to be efficient, the food service was exceedingly slow. After waiting over 20 years for dinner at JoJo, my expectations were high and were not met. My salmon entree was very good, but the brussel sprouts were under-cooked. My date had the veal and was disappointed that it was fried and all she tasted was the breading.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We ordered the price fixe luncheon. Soup was delicious .Ordered poached shrimp over lemon risotto as the entree and the rice was extremely undercooked. I did not say anything and left most of it in the dish. I did found it interesting when the women at the next table ordered the same and sent hers back as the risotto was under done. Wish I had done that. Dessert was average. My guest did enjoy her ravioli and cod.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014the food and the service were very good. we enjoyed our dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/14/2014very uncomfortable chairs and worn-out bench seating throughout the restaurant, definitely need replacement and updating, especially low chairs that are not fit for men of average height, and tables too close together; vegetarian menu outstanding except one dish; cordial and attentive service
- Wish our food had been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/13/2014We have great memories of Jojo's since we began going there years ago. This time our salmon main course was not as good as usual. It just didn't look good on the plate. I will say our neighbors seem to have received more attractive dinners. Service was fine. I guess we need to there try again, but with so many great restaurants in New York City, it may be a while.
- our New York favoritembb4567Dined on 10/13/2014My wife and I go to numerous places and make repeat visits only to those we love. That list is long -- but at the very top of it is JoJo. We've been to many of the best places in the city, and while appreciating them all, we think none can match this one. Great food. Great service. And the Chili Passion Fruit cocktail is the best drink in New York, hands down! JoJo is a keeper!Special Features:
- Very Nice but no WiFigrrmtyVIPDined on 10/12/2014Highly recommended. Keep in mind one thing, there is bad cell conection inside the restaurant. It is hard to pay with Open Table since you are not able to get on line. I asked the waiter for wifi access and was told that it was a closed network. Other than that eveything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experience!SonalVIPDined on 10/12/2014We've dined at Jojo on several occasions. The food at Jojo is to die for. The service is impeccable and my husband I had a fabulous time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningNeurosurgeonDined on 10/11/2014Lovely old brownstone setting; a romantic setting. Service outstanding and food very good. It is well worth the cost.Special Features:
- Worn cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Food was as usual beautiful, size-appropriate and delicious. However, lighting was very poor restricting visual impact of dining, chair was miserably low, table required constant resetting to keep it from tipping over and wine by the glass very mediocre cabernet. Elegant white -table-cloth dining but place seems physically getting shabby now. I love this place but was disaapointed with it physically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantBirdieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Unmatched kindnes and welcoming hospitality. Service was PERFECT. Our dinner sublime; we enjoyed the poached lobster with lemon risotto and salmon. The calamari appetizer with yuzu foam dip was a flavor weve never experienced and want more of very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014The food, the ambiance as well as the service was outstanding. If you enjoy good food within pleasant surroundings and an attentive staff, JoJos is the right place for you. It certainly is worth a visit.Special Features:
- willdineDined on 10/8/2014Enjoyed a simple lunch. The chicken was great. Not expensive, but an expensive ambiance.Special Features:
- weezyVIPDined on 10/7/2014Charming decor, very good food, very nice service. Good experience.Special Features:
- Foodwinelover....SilverFoodiewineloverVIPDined on 10/7/2014Warm, intimate and great food. An adult restaurant where you can hear your companionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodBabyBoomersVIPDined on 10/6/2014We always have a delightful experience and great food at Jojo'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/5/2014Please see my recent review. Little has changed: I would rate the tasting menu -although a bit pricey- the service and the ambiance as very good to outstanding.I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful birthday dinnerBenGEDined on 10/3/2014The service was excellent, the food amazing and the ambiance just perfect for a romantic dinner for me wife's birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food but a small placeAndyDined on 10/2/2014The food was good and the price was fare... It's not a tourist place so you feel like a NY citizen have lunch and some good place... The dessert Jojo (chocolate cake with ice cream) is excelent!Special Features:
- Very good, but little disappointedATNYCDined on 9/30/2014I gave JoJo four stars because the good is very good. However, I was expecting more from a Jean-Georges restaurant, I was expecting great based on that and the per plate price. People may find the downstairs area quaint, but I found it cramped with my friend and I wedged up against the wall right next to each other. Probably better on a date. The food was good - asparagus salad, shrimp salad, naked chicken, and salmon with brussel sprouts. Service was very good. I might go back if I'm in the neighborhood, but am more likely to try someplace else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDavidlillianVIPDined on 9/27/2014Food, service, and ambiance excellent. We enjoyed a great dinner sitting upstairs next to the window overlooking 64th Street. Very highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outdated and stuffymkmkVIPDined on 9/26/2014This restaurant needs some serious updating. Same tired menu year after year, mediocre food, the charm has gone off under all the stuffy, dusty cushions...
- RemiVIPDined on 9/24/2014JoJo has lasted a long time for good reason. The food is consistently very good. My butternut squash soup was delicious, my salmon perfectly cooked. My husband loved his shrimp dish. We found a reasonable wine--$40--which is hard to do these days! The only disappointment was that the dessert offered as part of the prix fix was not available. The one that was substituted was sub-par. One good note, however, is that we asked for a larger table through Open Table and they accommodated us, which they don't usually do.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We wanted to like it morepaprikajVIPDined on 9/24/2014The setting is comfortable and attractive, the service was good and the dessert was excellent. The rest of the meal was okay but didn't quite meet the level of the price and the ambience. The chicken was tasty but the chick pea fries were tasteless and lacked texture. The asparagus salad was good but didn't have much asparagus. Based on previous reviews, I expected better. We will probably not go back.
- Wonderful SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/21/2014JoJo has stood the test of time. Lovely townhouse setting, and food prepared with care. Seafood is especially well prepared.Special Features:
- So good that I returned within daysoinkerVIPDined on 9/21/2014Please refer to my previous review. I was so pleased I returned three days later. I was surprised, but happy that I was able to get a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food as great as alwaysJoannelizVIPDined on 9/21/2014The ambiance at Jo Jo is nice, the service is good but the food...oh the food! From the shrimp appetizer to the perfectly cooked salmon(which really is hard to find) to the incredible tart with unusual, but delicious, ice cream, this is a great place to discover, or in my case, rediscover! Just GoGo!Special Features:
- Always a pleasure to dine at JojoOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/20/2014Enjoyed dining at Jojo and look forwards to going back soon. Atmosphere is lovely, food excellent and service even if a bit slow is very friendly and appropriate. We have tried many different dishes, all of them have been superb. Hope they stay in the neighborhood a long, long time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FranVIPDined on 9/20/2014Overall it was a delightful experience. Décor could use a bit of updating and restrooms should be upgraded.Special Features:
- Good for BrunchFoodieVIPDined on 9/20/2014I always like the town house set up and great atmosphere in JoJo. Food was always excellent too.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, good food. A gem!!oinkerVIPDined on 9/18/2014Outstanding food and service. They accommodated food allergies. They even modified the tasting menu. They even let one person on the table order the tasting menu while the others ordered ala carte.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect anniversary dinnerDinerk8VIPDined on 9/18/2014My 3rd time to JoJo, this time to celebrate our anniversary. The warm asparagus salad w/ avocado was amazing combined with salad greens and my husband loved the squash soup. Our fish dishes-slow cooked salmon and hake-, including some special requests were prepared perfectly and the accompanying sides also stood out-shaved brussels sprouts on the salmon. Nice selection of wines by the glass and reasonable for this caliber in NYC. A complimentary dessert with a chocolate "Happy Anniversary sign was a nice touch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Ambience, Great Foodcms898Dined on 9/17/2014Had a weeknight dinner at JoJo and would definitely recommend to others. While service was a little slower than expected, the food was fantastic. We had both fish and meat, and each were very flavorful and cooked perfectly. The dessert selections were also very interesting, and the Pavlova was delicious.Special Features: