160 East 64th Street
New York, NY 10065Neighborhood:
Upper East Side
Contemporary FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.jojorestaurantnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 223-5656
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:00am-3:00pm
Lunch: Monday - Friday 12:00pm-2:30pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm-10:30pm, Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:00pm, Sunday 5:30pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Jean-Georges Vongerichten
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Full Bar, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: Special Events Contact: Farah Abad (212) 358-0688 ext.28 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A word from JoJo
JoJo offers relaxed yet elegant dining on two floors of a quaint, turn-of-the-century brownstone on the Upper East Side. The first of Jean-Georges’ restaurants in New York City, this neighborhood gem opened in 1991 to rave reviews. It was voted best new restaurant of the year by Esquire magazine and has retained its three-star status from the New York Times for 21 years. Regarding the name, JoJo was Chef Jean-Georges’ nickname as a young boy. Jojo is a hospitable setting for a casual dinner, special occasion, or private party. Guests can feel comfortable in jeans or in evening attire. The contemporary French menu still features some well-loved original dishes, including the Warm Valrhona Chocolate Cake.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary French
JoJo reviews from OpenTable diners
339 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
romantic (174)fit for foodies (167)neighborhood gem (161)special occasion (145)great for lunch (87)great for brunch (48)notable wine list (38)good for groups (13)late-night find (10)hot spot (5)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)Show More
- cozy spot for delicious foodHappygirlVIPDined on 11/19/2014the lunch prix fix was an exceptional value- the butternut squas soup was amazing - the roasted cod and chicken perfectly coked and the shrimp risotto was one of the best ever- leave room for the signature chocolate molten cake- nice wine list !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb quality food with great service.foodieinternationalDined on 11/17/2014This restaurant is charming and warm. The good is excellently prepared. I had the poached salmon, perfectly prepared with tasty mashed potatoes and covered with brussel sprouts. My desert of warm oozing chocolate cake with ice cream was a delicious way to end the meal. My friend had the ravioli with a very nice light tomato sauce which was extremely tasty. We loved the ambiance, the service and the food. I would highly recommend this restaurant and for a pre-fixed lunch wow!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 11/15/2014JoJo is Jean George's oldest restaurant in NYC, and it has lasted amazingly well. The food is consistent and creative. His pumpkin soup is creative and delicious; he does a great hamburger. His shrimp and risotto is tasty. We love the food. The wine list is also reasonable, which is unusual for a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Prix Fix Lunchpcsk8VIPDined on 11/15/2014From the tuna tartare appetizer through the delicious salmon and especially the lick the plate chocolate dessert, the food was outstanding at a very affordable price. However the seats could use a cleaning and tables are extremely tight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYC DinerManhattaniteDined on 11/12/2014Great atmosphere. Warm, efficient service. Excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experiencembb4567Dined on 11/11/2014Food is always an A+, and their passion chili cocktail is bar none the best drink in NYC! Very accommodating and gracious staff. When we were originally seated next to a noisy table, hostess quietly and subtly re-located us. JoJo's is as good as it gets in iur city.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better off at another JG restaurantJuBuDined on 11/10/2014Compared to other Jean Georges restaurants around the city and country, this one has been my least favorite. The space's small size limits service capabilities and the food lacks full flavor. Likewise, the hostess was unexpectedly inhospitable and overall I felt unwelcome. Even at poorer qualities, Jean Georges cuisine is better than average, but I will not be returning to JoJo.Special Features:
- Eating on an Expressway!newyork2014Dined on 11/7/2014Dinner reservation for 4 through OpenTable. First seated at 2 doll size tables just inside on the left of Bar. Informed that our guests are tall but no response. After some discussion we where offered a normal size table upstairs, just on the right off the staircase. All 4 chairs facing the ekspressway of food coming from kitchen down stairs, up to the 2nd floor in a speed of ekspressway traffic. The waiter steeped on my foot 3 times without even noticing waved his elbow by my ear and all the waiters ran in a speed that the whole table was shacking 70% og the meal. The food was good but it was hard to enjoy. The experience was so sad and shocking since we have had good experiences at JOJO earlier. All 4 of us live in the neighborhood.
- Jojo has deterioratedDisappointingVIPDined on 11/7/2014In the past this was one of my favorites. When I dined there on October 7, it appeared radically changed for the worse. The temperature of the tuna roll suggested it had just been removed from the freezer. The fish entree was tiny, unattractive, and tasteless. The lamb chops were tough and overdone. Dessert was presented long after coffee when we had given up on it and were about to ask for the check. The wait staff seemed inexperienced and untrained, and orders deliver to wrong tables. Only the 2 young women taking coats at the front inspired any confidence. When we left at around 9 p.m. the entrance area was crammed with people waiting for tables, suggesting that reservations has not been appropriately timed.
- JoJo, 24 years onBeenThereEtThatDined on 11/7/2014JoJo is still fine, but - for the price and the name and the place it occupies in the JVG world - it is not as special as it ought to be (and once was.) The autumn menu is much like many high-end others around town, with execution and impact expert but not amazing. The crab and mango app, was, well, crab and mango, which isn't bad. Same with the other app (which I can't recall.) The "brick" pastry atop the signature duck main was less flaky than I'd like and it's foie gras stuffing didn't stand up or out. The spectacular exception was a venison special with pomegranate, cabbage and fingerlings that was as buttery and flavorable as any venison we've ever had. Desserts (pudding, cake) were as described, but no more. Service was super.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- conversation placekeepemhonestVIPDined on 11/7/2014if you do not mind slow service and priority is decent food over a comfortable conversation for work or otherwise, go to jojo. the place is cozy and beautiful but the hostess/maitresse d'hotel can be loud. and for a small place with so many staffers, jojo's service is no gogo.Special Features:
- Wonderful gemTipsyDined on 11/3/2014Cozy and pretty restaurant on east side . Good food , excellent staff!Special Features:
- Quiet and spaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/3/2014You can actually hear your dinner partners and NOT everyone else. Rare for NYC restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well doneMaddiVIPDined on 11/3/2014This was my third visit and I would go back again and againSpecial Features:
- Excellent in every way!FirstClassVIPDined on 11/2/2014This restaurant is excellent in every way! We have dined here several times and it has always been great.Special Features:
- DisappointingDublin2014Dined on 11/2/2014Bland food that was served with little imagination. We opted for Autumn Tasting menu which was essentially 4 courses from main menu served with no thought of combinations. Too many staff standing around doing nothing. 5 of them stood looking stbis while trying to retrieve our jacket. One excellent waiter but he was flogging a dead horse unfortunately. Could be soo good.
- Truly SpecialOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/1/2014This was the best food we had this trip to NYC. Jean Georges' restaurants are always great. This one was truly special. Food was exceptional. Service was great. Ambiance was wonderful.Special Features:
- Old favorites are perfectionCasaLVIPDined on 11/1/2014We had not been here in a while and came for Saturday lunch. We had the butternut squash soup and the tuna tartare followed by the slow cooked salmon and the lemon risotto with Shrimp. For dessert the famous chocolate cake as well as apple cake, both accompanied by ice cream. Most of these dishes are old favorites which have been on the menu for many years, but continue to be vibrant and delicious when prepared with seasonal flourishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rgskolVIPDined on 10/29/2014Although fairly noisy, our group of 6 had a consistently very good dining experience - food, service, ambiance. Rare to have such a fine neighborhood spot with such high quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mgf9Dined on 10/28/2014My wife and I dined at JoJo for the first time last week and both she and our dinner guests thought it was wonderful - terrific food and a very romantic yet casual vibe. Octopus and all fish entries were outstanding and the service solid. For those people that are occasionally turned off by JGV venues that at times feel like the staff is trying too hard to be different, JoJo is a terrific unpretentious option.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Charming and romanticApplebitesDined on 10/28/2014The restaurant has the ambience of a cozy room in Paris....in the late 19th century. The service was impeccable. The wait staff was very attentive but kept a discrete distance when service was not required. The food was delicious. It's the perfect place to go on a romantic date.Special Features:
- Did not disappoint.BobbyBDined on 10/28/2014We had a lovely anniversary dinner. The staff was wonderful, and the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RemiVIPDined on 10/28/2014The prix fix lunch at JoJo is an outstanding value. The tuna tartare was fresh; the crab dish delicious. I had cod for a main course, and it was terrific. Dessert here is wonderful, especially the molten chocolate cake. Very pleasant, relaxed environment, and they were kind enough to give us a large table, even though we were only two, because I requested it on Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingAlowderDined on 10/25/2014Best meal I've had in NYC. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/23/2014Jojo is our go to restaurant. Consistently excellent cuisine from Ron Gallo. Professionally run. Jean George's first indecent restaurant. Bravo for 23 years of excellence. Thank you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- janegoldVIPDined on 10/20/2014altho the wait staff made an effort to be efficient, the food service was exceedingly slow. After waiting over 20 years for dinner at JoJo, my expectations were high and were not met. My salmon entree was very good, but the brussel sprouts were under-cooked. My date had the veal and was disappointed that it was fried and all she tasted was the breading.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014We ordered the price fixe luncheon. Soup was delicious .Ordered poached shrimp over lemon risotto as the entree and the rice was extremely undercooked. I did not say anything and left most of it in the dish. I did found it interesting when the women at the next table ordered the same and sent hers back as the risotto was under done. Wish I had done that. Dessert was average. My guest did enjoy her ravioli and cod.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/18/2014the food and the service were very good. we enjoyed our dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/14/2014very uncomfortable chairs and worn-out bench seating throughout the restaurant, definitely need replacement and updating, especially low chairs that are not fit for men of average height, and tables too close together; vegetarian menu outstanding except one dish; cordial and attentive service
- Wish our food had been betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/13/2014We have great memories of Jojo's since we began going there years ago. This time our salmon main course was not as good as usual. It just didn't look good on the plate. I will say our neighbors seem to have received more attractive dinners. Service was fine. I guess we need to there try again, but with so many great restaurants in New York City, it may be a while.
- our New York favoritembb4567Dined on 10/13/2014My wife and I go to numerous places and make repeat visits only to those we love. That list is long -- but at the very top of it is JoJo. We've been to many of the best places in the city, and while appreciating them all, we think none can match this one. Great food. Great service. And the Chili Passion Fruit cocktail is the best drink in New York, hands down! JoJo is a keeper!Special Features:
- Very Nice but no WiFigrrmtyVIPDined on 10/12/2014Highly recommended. Keep in mind one thing, there is bad cell conection inside the restaurant. It is hard to pay with Open Table since you are not able to get on line. I asked the waiter for wifi access and was told that it was a closed network. Other than that eveything else was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous experience!SonalVIPDined on 10/12/2014We've dined at Jojo on several occasions. The food at Jojo is to die for. The service is impeccable and my husband I had a fabulous time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful eveningNeurosurgeonDined on 10/11/2014Lovely old brownstone setting; a romantic setting. Service outstanding and food very good. It is well worth the cost.Special Features:
- Worn cozyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/10/2014Food was as usual beautiful, size-appropriate and delicious. However, lighting was very poor restricting visual impact of dining, chair was miserably low, table required constant resetting to keep it from tipping over and wine by the glass very mediocre cabernet. Elegant white -table-cloth dining but place seems physically getting shabby now. I love this place but was disaapointed with it physically.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrilliantBirdieVIPDined on 10/9/2014Unmatched kindnes and welcoming hospitality. Service was PERFECT. Our dinner sublime; we enjoyed the poached lobster with lemon risotto and salmon. The calamari appetizer with yuzu foam dip was a flavor weve never experienced and want more of very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014The food, the ambiance as well as the service was outstanding. If you enjoy good food within pleasant surroundings and an attentive staff, JoJos is the right place for you. It certainly is worth a visit.Special Features:
- willdineDined on 10/8/2014Enjoyed a simple lunch. The chicken was great. Not expensive, but an expensive ambiance.Special Features:
- weezyVIPDined on 10/7/2014Charming decor, very good food, very nice service. Good experience.Special Features:
- Foodwinelover....SilverFoodiewineloverVIPDined on 10/7/2014Warm, intimate and great food. An adult restaurant where you can hear your companionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.