Johnny's - Roland Park
4800 Roland Avenue
Baltimore, MD 21210Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Johnny's - Roland Park
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnnysdownstairs.com/
- Phone: 4107730777
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 7:00am - 11:00am,
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday 11:00am - 3:00pm
Dinner: Monday-Saturday: 4:30pm - 10:00pm; Sunday 4:30-9pm
Midday Menu offered 3pm-4:30 daily
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Mexican, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kiko Wilson
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
A word from Johnny's - Roland Park
Tony Foreman and Cindy Wolf are pleased to announce the opening of Johnny's; the fifth restaurant for the Baltimore-based restaurateurs. Featuring west coast cuisine, spectacular coffee, and whiskey.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Johnny's - Roland Park - Best Restaurants in Roland Park ›
Johnny's - Roland Park reviews from OpenTable diners
193 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (131)fit for foodies (90)great for lunch (71)great for brunch (59)kid-friendly (48)good for groups (47)romantic (34)special occasion (32)notable wine list (19)hot spot (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (8)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great Find!JannDined on 9/20/2014What a wonderful grotto...cozy, inviting, and interesting. The menu is varied...and each item we ordered was very nicely prepared and delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Experience at Johnny's Roland ParkOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014We had a wonderful time celebrating my Wife's Birthday with our daughter and friends. The food was superior and Janna, our Server, was superior in her presence and knowledge of the Menu. Everyone commented with high marks on her. The timeliness of dishes being served was superb. We saw many friends and acquaintances during our visit. This makes "it the place" to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BonsoVIPDined on 9/17/2014Very good turkey burger! Neighborhood restaurant that's nice to have around. Would like to see a few less expensive items on the menu though....would eat there more often.Special Features:
- good not greatfoodyVIPDined on 9/13/2014Ive been to Johnny's three times now and ordered something different every time. Its a good meal, nothing great, but its nice if you don't want to go downtown.Special Features:
- Great timeEtreinncias1Dined on 9/13/2014Went here for brunch with my mom and we both loved it. I got the Steak Juevos Rancheros. The meat was tender and cooked perfectly. The server was really nice and was always attentive. Want to go back to see how their dinner is like!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A place we wanted to likenineofnineDined on 9/12/2014Look and feel is great, obviously much thought/money/time spent renovating the basement under Petit Louis. Had a reservation problem-showed up on time but seated an hour later-but that wasn't the real disappointment (popular and busy isn't a bad thing). The problem was the menu/food. It's without the unifying theme the owners are known for. Is it Tex-Mex (spicy guacamole)/comfort food (grilled cheese), or something European (cheese plate)? But execution was the real problem. Either too heavy, bland or small. (chips w/sour cream (bland), guacamole & chips(unbearable w/onion & peppers), and a turkey burger (very good but small) with duck fat fried fries (limp, greasy). Go for the bar, but avoid the food. But as expected, service was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/12/2014Lettuce and greens taste like California. That's a very good thing indeed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ParsimoniousDelectableVIPDined on 9/8/2014The sandwiches we're spare, dry, and the salad skimpy. If felt as if Johnny's could not spare a generous or delicious lunch!
- WonderfulJazzFesterDined on 9/4/2014Creative cocktails and a diverse menu for any palate in a warm setting.Special Features:
- Lovely venue, tiny portionbearleDined on 8/31/2014The service and ambience are excellent but the $9 fish tacos were ridiculously minuscule. My husband got the fish of the day (instead of the trout he ordered but that was fixed on the bill) which was a small portion, too, although not miniscule. The kale that accompanied his fish was too oily and too much - more of the regular dish, please, less of the green. The tiny tiny cup of chicken soup was good but again, the portion small for the $5 price.Special Features:
- christianVIPDined on 8/30/2014Not as impressed on this visit as during our last two. Food was overall good but somewhat flavorless. Service was very good but let's be honest...people eat out for the food. I also really wish they would get rid of the horrible margarrita style glasses they use for wine. The thick brim and stem completely ruin the feel of drinking a glass of wine.
- This is it!ThunderDined on 8/27/2014The service is always crisp like its upstairs sibling, Petit Louis. But Johnny's food is average at best and far too expensive. They have a captive wealthy neighborhood willing to tolerate these prices. Wolf Foreman have a great concept, average food at steep price points. Kudos to them but I can no longer visit their overpriced establishments! Its just not worth it as the food is nothing special.
- I absolutely love this place!JennickDined on 8/27/2014I have been here for a family dinner with kids and for lunch with just my mom. I plan to come back with friends for a women's night out. Inventive food (watermelon heirloom tomato gazpacho) and traditional food makes this a restaurant that appeals to varied tastes. So glad it is here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with "da Boy"MinervaTakesaBiteDined on 8/25/2014First time dining at Johnny's - mostly because Petite Louis isn't open for lunch on Monday. It's a very attractive space, 'though a little dark. We sat in the section to the left as you go in - quieter than the other side but still rather dominated by the big screen TV. My son's burger was HUGE (just what he wanted the day after a 45-mile bike ride!) and tasty. Fries were FABULOUS (no surprise there)! My shrimp spring rolls were disappointing - sort of dry with little evidence of shrimp in the filling. The house salad was simply fresh greens, a little Feta and a very nice, light dressing. A pleasant lunch and a good value. We'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfullaurenwDined on 8/24/2014Johnny's produces a delightful brunch. The black bean dip is a must-have and their unique and delicious entree items (I had the BLTA and it was fantastic) do not disappoint. My Bloody Mary was also amazing, and the coffee was spectacular. Great ambiance, lovely service, delightful food.Special Features:
- perfect night with friendsFayeBeanDined on 8/22/2014We had a great time on Friday night. The service was great - Pedro was very friendly and knowledgeable - and the food was yummy. My only complaint, and it's a small one, is that my fish might have been just a smidge overcooked (I had the fish tostada), but that might have been because I ordered medium and not medium rare. Highly recommend Johnny's, whether for dinner, or a yummy breakfast meeting.Special Features:
- New neighborhood homeJfixDined on 8/22/2014It's always fun dining at Johnny's. Don't miss their fabulous breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-soTomHDined on 8/22/2014Food was very good but portions were small. People were waiting in line to get in- I wouldn't. Ambiance was good but the service was slow and the kitchen was backed up. I wouldn't rush back.Special Features:
- BonsoVIPDined on 8/18/2014Hostess was great, server pleasant but not knowledgeable. Small plates are really small. We'll go back because it's close.
- Good food.MajannieDined on 8/17/2014We came for brunch and there was confusion when meals came (2 meals came and then 5 minutes later came the other 2). 2 were served the wrong meals and started eating it which meant they had to take it back and start over. The manager and the hostess were amazing and bent backwards to rectify this. They brought us complimentary fruit while we waited and at the end of the meal they gave us pastries to take home. I would recommend this restaurant because the food was good and they really tried to make it a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall good experienceWellDoneDined on 8/16/2014This was our first visit to Johnny's and all-in-all we really enjoyed it. Our appetizer was delicious and entrees were also very good. We were wondering why 6 different wait staff were "assigned" to our table. That really doesn't allow for any kind of relationship between staff and patrons. The wine list was very different, offering many local wines at a pretty steep price. We were able to find a delicious wine (not local) that was not too expensive. We really loved the heavy water and wine glasses - how unique! We were also surprised at how large the restaurant is. We were seated in a back room which had very nice, low lighting and a low noise level. Dessert was disappointing - but not enough space to comment on it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Spot/Great Food!BTownFoodie1Dined on 8/16/2014I recently went to Johnny's on a date. It's in a magical part of town that has a lot of charm and character. The hostesses really make you feel welcome and everyone at the restaurant come around frequently to make sure you're comfortable and have all you need. You're not just a number here-the staff work hard to make sure you're dining experience is exceptional. The ambiance and charm make this restaurant perfect for many occasions. I came here for dinner and the food was amazing! I had the tostadas and the veggie spring rolls. The flavor and timing of food service was impeccable. I've also been to johnys for lunch and has the burger which is a must have! Definitely recommend going to Johnny's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Truly impressedBeefsteak20Dined on 8/16/2014My wife and I had dinner on a Saturday night and could not have had a better time. Our server, Nathalie, was fantastic. The food was outstanding as well as the bourbon selection. We can't wait to go back and try more of the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- k from BaltimorekatefDined on 8/15/2014The wait staff is friendly and professional. The food is excellent every time. From pub food a with a gourmet twist to a quite elegant fresh entree to a specially prepared (and excellent) meal for a guest with an allergy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Splendid fishOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014The rainbow trout on the menu the night we were there was as good as any of us who ordered it have ever had. Perfectly cooked, and the accompanying tomato relish as excellent. As always the service was very good, and the back room is quiet for conversation.Special Features:
- LPSRVIPDined on 8/7/2014Always enjoy Johnny's- love ambiance, eclectic food choices, and personable servers. I wish the wine list offered more on the lower side of spectrum.Special Features:
- Lackluster experienceCityslickerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Our server was nice enough but don't think she smiled once. Just didn't feel warm. As for food, we went during restaurant week but my meal seemed flat. First very limited options. (Only 2 starters, 2 entrees, 2 desserts). The chilled watermelon soup was interesting but missing something. Chicken was tasty but a little dry and the plating boring. The worst was the dessert...mocha cookie or red velvet cupcake. Basically a giant chocolate cookie. Totally over cooked. Tough on edges, dry in the middle. I didn't taste cupcake but my husband's looked like someone picked them up from eddies on the way in to work. My advice would be to opt our of restaurant week if you can't provide something good for the price. Raise price or eliminate a course.Special Features:
- A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.roscosmamaDined on 8/2/2014We dined as part of restaurant week and loved everything about our experience! The cocktails were unique and delicious, the wait staff was attentive but not smothering, and the food....oh, the wonderful food. The low lighting and subterranean setting felt very romantic. The place is an upscale gem, but not at all snooty. We will definitely return soon. Maybe tonight! P.S. Don't even think of skipping dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heeeeeere's Johnny!VirtualPilgrimVIPDined on 8/2/2014... and thank goodness for that! Options in this part of Baltimore City can feel limited - too much of the same thing. Restaurants that come and go quickly, or the same places that don't change year after year. Johnny's feels fresh every time and great for a special occasion, or for a spur of the moment decision to grab a bite when you're not really dressed for dinner. The staff is friendly, and the waiter from our first visit came back to chat when we returned for our second. Looking forward to coming back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Attractive Setting! Good Food!RunnerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Johnny's is a very attractive casual restaurant that caters to a broad array of diners. The food is very good for the most part. I had shrimp spring rolls as an appetizer while my son had beef spring rolls and my husband had hummus with veggies. All of our appetizers were superb. The spring rolls were crispy but not oily. The hummus and veggie accompaniments were fresh and yummy. For the main course, I had the short ribs while my son had shrimp etouffee and my husband had fish totada. My short rib was as tough as shoe letter. (Pardon the trite language.) My son's and my husband's main courses were delicious. The stars of the meal were the desserts--fruit tart and blueberry pie; the crusts were among the best I've eaten anywhere.Special Features:
- Good food, but...HappyDinerVIPDined on 8/2/2014Nothing was stand out here. The food was good not great. The advertised portion of three spring roll only came with two. My turkey burger was small compared to similar orders at other restaurants. However it was very moist and the sauce was actually delicious. Service was less than attentive. The setting though, is very cool, so if you wanted to be hidden away for a private conversation, it could be done very easily.Special Features:
- YummyMissyDined on 7/29/2014Love Johnny's. Great, fresh food. I loved my bean burger and shrimp spring rolls. My husband got the meatloaf special and loved it. The only problem is my son who has a peanut allergy can not go there b/c they fry in peanut oil.Special Features:
- mehkatie03VIPDined on 7/27/2014For a Foreman-Wolf restaurant I expected so much more.... menu is not outstanding by any means. Basic burgers, sandwiches, brunch items, that they have tried to dress up with a few clever items and a higher price tag. Likely won't be back and will instead return to an old favorite -- Petit Louis.
- Very nice place - good brunchStreeper21224Dined on 7/27/2014If Petite Louis is not your bag go to the back of the building and try Johnny's - first thing - cheaper!!!! and the food is really good !!Special Features:
- Great family dinnerMariaDined on 7/25/2014We took our teenage daughters to Johnny's for a family dinner and we had a great time! Staff was very friendly and attentive. Enough variety on the menu, not only the standard burger. Will definitely be back for more; loved it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnny's is a palete pleaser ......ThePlzPalateVIPDined on 7/22/2014.....one wished could be found in every hood! What a find, where one can unwind and fine dine or just alight and grab a bite! To date, haven't had a plate that was not delish! A few items not to miss..... Grilled Romaine Cesear, Yummy fried chicken--Johnny's way, any fish dish will not be amiss. Oh and the service, right on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediocre At BestchmarskyVIPDined on 7/22/2014The food was really below what it should have been. A trip to the Cheesecake Factory or CPK would have been much better. My wife's salad was pathetic and my salmon had no flavor. The tables around me were concerned that their food wasn't prepared properly, etc.... just seemed not to be so good. Probably would not go back again.Special Features:
- foodie53Dined on 7/22/2014food selections eccelectic, fun and everything we had was excellentSpecial Features:
- Disappointing...queenieDined on 7/21/2014Having dined there 3 times, I am afraid that the place will not fit the bill as a neighborhood gem. We are fine paying higher prices for good food, esp if the portions are decent, & service is attentive. But paying higher prices & then being served very little food as well as not feeling a welcomed connection with the waitstaff is not so fun. Farm Cobb was 15.50, hardly filled up the plate & was slathered in dressing. Kids' menu needs tweaking, it's really not that much food for the price. Also, they do not list mac-n-cheese on the kids' menu but have it on the main menu. Wonder why? We are holding out that Johnny's can iron out some wrinkles as it settles into the hood. For the money we've spent so far, we'd rather go upstairs to P Louis.Special Features:
- 2dinersVIPDined on 7/19/2014This was the first time that we were able to get a parking space on Saturday PM. Service was a little confusing since several servers were working together. After our issues were settled, the salmon and swordfish were outstanding. They rewarded us with a slice of cake to take home to make up for the confusion. In my past visits, I have always been pleased with the food choices. I plan to return to try the 55 cent cocktail. Stay tuned!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.