493 Lake Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnnysharborside.com/
- Phone: 8314793430x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30 am - 8:30 pm
Wednesday - Friday - 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
Saturday: 11:00 am - 9:30 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday Brunch: 11:00 am -2:00 pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
With continuous service
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Evan Lite
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Making your events all that they can be with personalized service and exceptional food.
* Full Service Catering
* Self Service Catering
* Mobile BBQ
* Events hosted at our Restaurant in the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor
We look forward to making your next special occasion one to remember.
A word from Johnny's Harborside
Enjoy fresh seafood in a casual atmosphere while soaking up the view of the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor and Monterrey Bay. Johnny’s Harborside specializes in fresh fish prepared just the way you like it. At Johnny's Harborside, we take pride in using fresh, seasonal ingredients from local suppliers. The menu includes 6 to 8 choices of fresh fish daily, sautéed, blackened, or broiled, served with your choice of a Fresh Catch Accompaniment. In addition to “Fresh Catch Made Your Way,” you will find an assortment of fish specials, sandwiches, salads and steaks. With a full bar and great view you can't go wrong! Join us for lunch and dinner daily or brunch on the weekends. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Johnny's Harborside - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Johnny's Harborside reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (66)neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (28)great for lunch (21)kid-friendly (19)special occasion (18)good for groups (17)great for brunch (11)romantic (10)vibrant bar scene (9)hot spot (7)notable wine list (7)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- A Great Place for DinnerOrvilleDined on 10/18/2014The food is terrific, prices moderate and the service is always spot on!Special Features:
- Service & FoodmangiamiaDined on 10/15/2014The waiter never asked if we would like soup or salad. We saw bread being delivered to other tables. Where was ours? If you need to ask for it, then a little sign like the water sign should be on the table. We had the Salmon and Halibut. All was well until I got to the middle of the Halibut piece. It tasted like a cleaning solution. I wondered if came from grill cleaner residue which is actually very toxic. I had Sea Bass on another occasion and it tasted on the older side. However, I have had the Fish Tacos and they have been great. Will go again but order something else. Thank you MangiamiaSpecial Features:
- neighborDined on 10/13/2014One of the best restaurants in Santa Cruz. Great presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerNiceSisterDined on 10/12/2014Celebrated my brother's 60th with family. The appetizers were fantastic (love the crab and shimp stuffed tempura avocado!), the fresh fish perfectly cooked and presented. Definitely worth returning.Special Features:
- A local favoriteOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Johnny's is one of our favorite spots in town. Always good food and great view of the harbor.Special Features:
- Fresh fishOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014Delicious fresh fish every night. Fantastic wait staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great service and cleanCaptainGDined on 10/9/2014We visit the Santa Cruz area a lot over the last 40 years and we have eaten in just about every location. From local dives to upper class dinning. What I find tiring in this area is how poorly prepared the food can be made and served and that creates inconsistence when dinning out. But not here. The ambiance was modern and tasteful. The host was very kind and well dressed (we had called ahead and she had our table prepped and waiting for us). Our waitress, Monica, was very nice and knowledgable off that nights dinner coarses and very nice. I had the seafood tacos and my wife had the French dip. Both dishes were very good. Everything and everyone was presentable and very clean. It's our new place to go. Complements to the chef and managers.Special Features:
- "Fish done well!" Fish SnobAlveeDined on 10/8/2014somebody knows what they are doing back in the kitchen, the prawn appetizer with capers was scrumptious and yes is the answer when asked if you'd like the garlic bread with that, very thin and garlicky comes with 4 thin wedges and the shrimp portion was perfect for 4. My better half ordered the crab encrusted salmon, perfect, and the the 3 of us ordered halibut parisian style sauteed , halibut blackened and salmon parisian style....everybody ooued and awed their dinners, high praise to the chef! Normally dont care for dessert but we went for three of them, glad they were small because we ate it all up! yummy, a esspresso creme brulee thingy, a chocolate tart and a key lime custard creation w/ crust.....ALL GOOD! we'll be back!!!Special Features:
- Johnny's HarborsideBrunoDined on 10/4/2014I heard it was the best Sarfood in town and it was. Had the crab/ avacado tempura appetizer which was delicious! The halibut was tender and had great flavor. The creme brûlée was out of this world. Highly recommend this resteraunt!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite!foodlover1Dined on 10/2/2014Wonderful food, great service and family friendly. Celebrated my husbands birthday with the whole family and we all had delicious and beautiful food. Its a family favorite and we are never disappointed. They even let us bring in our own birthday cake and lit the candles and brought it to our table for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafood dinning with viewseafoodwithviewDined on 9/23/2014Our first visit was truly enjoyable, friendly service + good view + great food added to almost perfect dinning experience. Although noise level was rather loud and parking was not free, we recommend this place for seafood lovers without hestitation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnny's By Harbor LightJbmediamanVIPDined on 9/20/2014Few dining experiences are more pleasant than enjoying your fish and seafood dinner by a big picture window as boats bob peacefully in the harbor, their lights winking cheerfully. Food was tasty, portions generous, service very friendly and attentive. What more to add? For what they charge, it's a bargain. Go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for familiesJambiPDined on 9/20/2014We really enjoyed our eating experience at Johnny's Harborside. This great location next to the harbor was very friendly and the food excellent. We will be back!Special Features:
- Food is good again!CaPatolaVIPDined on 9/16/2014I understand there is a new chef and Johnny's. Until recently, the food had gone from being great to only mediocre. It is great again. I had the salmon burger and it was just as it should be; juicy, not overly spicy and well seasoned. Thanks for bringing back the food we expect.Special Features:
- Nice LocationBobbyGBDined on 9/3/2014Johnny's Harborside is just that, in the Santa Cruz Harbor surrounded by beautiful sail boats. They have a good selection of seafood specials and the Steamers on Wednesday are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, with a viewDebDVIPDined on 9/1/2014We were surprised that this marina side restaurant had such gourmet type food, the fresh fish choices and variety was impressive. Everything was cooked to perfection, would highly recommend dining here.Special Features:
- Could have been 4 stars if...OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2014First time dining at this restaurant - cool location and view. Seated on time at a nice window-side table. Ordered the local black cod and removed fifteen bones in my "filet" before I gave up and just ate the accompaniments. Friends had the salmon which did not have the same issues and the chicken breast which was also good. Lovely location overlooking the SC marina and several swimming sea lion sightings during dinner. Service was good (water glasses attentively filled), however, when the server collected our plates I mentioned the flavor was great but the bone removal needed some improvement. She said she noticed that but did not apologize (!). We would try it again but not paying attention to the safety basics was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner in Santa Cruzat1982Dined on 8/29/2014The restaurant is very small and the menu is not extensive, but it does offer a little bit of everything. The location is also quite nice, but the view is strictly as described in the name of the restaurant - harborside. You only see boats. Any maybe a dolphin... that was kind of cool.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishDineoutqueenVIPDined on 8/28/2014I love the fish here. Always fresh and well prepared. We enjoyed our meal. Our only complaint was the cost of the Chopin Martinis. Too expensive at 14 each. Service is typical of the restaurant. Never bad but not excellent. They are busy and they try to keep up most of the time. Eat here if you like fish. You will enjoy.Special Features:
- My first and Only timeluv2eatDined on 8/24/2014I came here with friends visiting from Louisiana. When the food arrived to the table my son's hamburger was extremely burnt and hard and we asked for medium to well done. Also my crab topped Salmon dish was cold. After sending both dishes back to kitchen. We waited about 10 minutes and my son's burger was cooked perfectly this time. As far as my fish it was still Cold. Not to mention it was topped with what looked like carrots and when I took a bite I soon realized it wasn't. Orange peels !!! If I'm going to pay 35 dollars for an entree it should be served hot . Not to mention we didn't receive any discount . Also the menu says add cup soup or salad to entree for 3 dollars, the receipt said 7.00 ...Buyer beware. My first and last time.
- valovesfoodDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful as always. We frequently recommend this to friends and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014Lovely evening with very good food and service. It was fun to try the new locally made gin. The crème brulee was wonderful!Special Features:
- Worth a VisitfisheaterDined on 8/13/2014The view of the harbor is awesome. I love the harbor smell, but it might turn some people off. The waiter was friendly and helpful with food selections. All the seafood was fresh, well prepared and delicious. I highly recommend Johnny's Harbor.Special Features:
- Wow!MissMarthaDined on 8/8/2014We finally got to Johnnys!! And we're so VERY glad we did!! On a crystal clear day wiith family visiting from Chicago, we enjoyed tremendous harbor views and fantastically fresh delicious meals that even the kids (age 11&13) enjoyed. With the great wine choices, it was a win win. It's clearly a locals spot that's away from the crush of the tourist crowds. Too bad we live just far enough away that we couldn't enjoy a few of those awesome cocktails that the bar crowd was humming with. Ahhhh next time Santa Cruz...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 61st BirthdayCindyDined on 8/7/2014I celebrated my birthday with five friends, and what a nice evening it was. Our server was professional and attentive, all of us loved our dinners and drinks and dessert, and the energy is really fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great selections, warm atmospherensmanDined on 8/4/2014The blackened scallops were the best we had in years - absolutely perfect. It's also nice to see a well-thought through wine list to go with the options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaside in Santa CruzDineMuchDined on 8/4/2014We were looking for local seafood restaurant with a view. We found it! Food was good, service was attentive, Almost too attentive. We found our food coming out almost as fast as we ordered it and they grabbed the bread basket before we were done. It was a Monday and they weren't that busy, so, I guess they were on top of it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's trioDineoutqueenVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was an excellent choice for two people. The cod was outstanding. Albacore and sea bass great. Interesting preparations and good wine on offer. A little noisy but we could still talk. Good fish. Well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/31/2014Lovely view of harbor, good service. Halibut was slightly overcooked and portion for prawn lunch entrée was very small. Loved the dessert trio; so nice to have the chance to sample different tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with an amazing view.neighborhooddinerDined on 7/29/2014A variety of gluten-free options for anyone with celiac diseaseSpecial Features:
- Food and atmospherealohaDined on 7/28/2014The staff is always friendly with a smile. When I request a window table, I get one every time. It is beautifully decorated with plenty of windows to view our beautiful harbor and the food is always delicious and very well presented. I am always impressed with the service and delicious food. I have returned to Johnny's more than any other restaurant in the Santa Cruz area.Special Features:
- ExcellentTorfourDined on 7/26/2014Fabulous dinner with great service and view! We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was okay nothing to rave about. Their crab cakes tasted like vegetable patties. The clams casino were extremely dry.
- Dinner- Johnny's Harborside 7/24/14OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014My husband and I took foreign guests to Johnny's for dinner after requesting a table with a harbor view on the OpenTable reservation "notes" section. Sure enough, we had such a table, and a very professional server, and WONDERFUL King salmon (3 orders) and prawns (1 order). The Parisian accompaniments with the fish were excellent. Desserts (lemon panna cotta, caramel pot de creme and flourless chocolate cake) were lucious. It was a delightful experience and I know we'll return.Special Features:
- Delicious meal!ChaminadeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great food great service Greatview great prices the waitstaff is always friendly and happy to assist you in anyway they canSpecial Features:
- Lovely!StaceyKatDined on 7/19/2014I was impressed with the menu. A variety of fish and choice of cooking method. The side dish options were divine. Service was wonderful, and prompt. I would definitely recommend Johnny's Harborside to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and food but noisyCocolitoDined on 7/18/2014It's worth it even with the noise, they should change their music from top of the pop charts and it will help. Thru also had a large group there. Once they left the noise level went way down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YuckBogieDined on 7/17/2014Had shrimp and crab Louie. Lettuce was wilted, crab and shrimp minuscule, small tomatoes mushy, and the shredded fish on top of the salad looked and smelled like cat food. Will never eat at Johnny's again. The view was great, the interior needed a total makeover.Special Features:
- Great LunhmangiamiaDined on 7/14/2014We truly enjoyed our lunch and the view is wonderful. Lots of activity in the Harbor!! We go often and will go again! Thanks J LawlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good seafoodpoppy831Dined on 7/13/2014I frequently order the fish tacos- you can order 2 or 3 tacos, each with a different kind of fresh fish. I rate them as the top 2 best fish tacos I've had. Nice atmosphere, overlooking the Santa Cruz harbor. Fun place to gather.Special Features: