493 Lake Avenue
Santa Cruz, CA 95060Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnnysharborside.com/
- Phone: 8314793430x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Tuesday: 11:30 am - 8:30 pm
Wednesday - Friday - 11:30 am - 9:30 pm
Saturday: 11:00 am - 9:30 pm
Sunday: 10:00 am - 9:00 pm
Saturday Brunch: 11:00 am -2:00 pm
Sunday Brunch: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
With continuous service
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Evan Lite
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Making your events all that they can be with personalized service and exceptional food.
* Full Service Catering
* Self Service Catering
* Mobile BBQ
* Events hosted at our Restaurant in the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor
We look forward to making your next special occasion one to remember.
A word from Johnny's Harborside
Enjoy fresh seafood in a casual atmosphere while soaking up the view of the Santa Cruz Yacht Harbor and Monterrey Bay. Johnny’s Harborside specializes in fresh fish prepared just the way you like it. At Johnny's Harborside, we take pride in using fresh, seasonal ingredients from local suppliers. The menu includes 6 to 8 choices of fresh fish daily, sautéed, blackened, or broiled, served with your choice of a Fresh Catch Accompaniment. In addition to “Fresh Catch Made Your Way,” you will find an assortment of fish specials, sandwiches, salads and steaks. With a full bar and great view you can't go wrong! Join us for lunch and dinner daily or brunch on the weekends. We look forward to seeing you soon!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Johnny's Harborside - Best Restaurants in Santa Cruz ›
Johnny's Harborside reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (58)neighborhood gem (32)fit for foodies (25)kid-friendly (20)great for lunch (19)good for groups (13)special occasion (10)romantic (9)great for brunch (9)vibrant bar scene (7)hot spot (6)notable wine list (6)late-night find (3)Show More
- Food is good again!CaPatolaVIPDined on 9/16/2014I understand there is a new chef and Johnny's. Until recently, the food had gone from being great to only mediocre. It is great again. I had the salmon burger and it was just as it should be; juicy, not overly spicy and well seasoned. Thanks for bringing back the food we expect.Special Features:
- Nice LocationBobbyGBDined on 9/3/2014Johnny's Harborside is just that, in the Santa Cruz Harbor surrounded by beautiful sail boats. They have a good selection of seafood specials and the Steamers on Wednesday are very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, with a viewDebDVIPDined on 9/1/2014We were surprised that this marina side restaurant had such gourmet type food, the fresh fish choices and variety was impressive. Everything was cooked to perfection, would highly recommend dining here.Special Features:
- Could have been 4 stars if...OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/31/2014First time dining at this restaurant - cool location and view. Seated on time at a nice window-side table. Ordered the local black cod and removed fifteen bones in my "filet" before I gave up and just ate the accompaniments. Friends had the salmon which did not have the same issues and the chicken breast which was also good. Lovely location overlooking the SC marina and several swimming sea lion sightings during dinner. Service was good (water glasses attentively filled), however, when the server collected our plates I mentioned the flavor was great but the bone removal needed some improvement. She said she noticed that but did not apologize (!). We would try it again but not paying attention to the safety basics was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinner in Santa Cruzat1982Dined on 8/29/2014The restaurant is very small and the menu is not extensive, but it does offer a little bit of everything. The location is also quite nice, but the view is strictly as described in the name of the restaurant - harborside. You only see boats. Any maybe a dolphin... that was kind of cool.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great fishDineoutqueenVIPDined on 8/28/2014I love the fish here. Always fresh and well prepared. We enjoyed our meal. Our only complaint was the cost of the Chopin Martinis. Too expensive at 14 each. Service is typical of the restaurant. Never bad but not excellent. They are busy and they try to keep up most of the time. Eat here if you like fish. You will enjoy.Special Features:
- My first and Only timeluv2eatDined on 8/24/2014I came here with friends visiting from Louisiana. When the food arrived to the table my son's hamburger was extremely burnt and hard and we asked for medium to well done. Also my crab topped Salmon dish was cold. After sending both dishes back to kitchen. We waited about 10 minutes and my son's burger was cooked perfectly this time. As far as my fish it was still Cold. Not to mention it was topped with what looked like carrots and when I took a bite I soon realized it wasn't. Orange peels !!! If I'm going to pay 35 dollars for an entree it should be served hot . Not to mention we didn't receive any discount . Also the menu says add cup soup or salad to entree for 3 dollars, the receipt said 7.00 ...Buyer beware. My first and last time.
- valovesfoodDined on 8/17/2014Wonderful as always. We frequently recommend this to friends and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/15/2014Lovely evening with very good food and service. It was fun to try the new locally made gin. The crème brulee was wonderful!Special Features:
- Worth a VisitfisheaterDined on 8/13/2014The view of the harbor is awesome. I love the harbor smell, but it might turn some people off. The waiter was friendly and helpful with food selections. All the seafood was fresh, well prepared and delicious. I highly recommend Johnny's Harbor.Special Features:
- Wow!MissMarthaDined on 8/8/2014We finally got to Johnnys!! And we're so VERY glad we did!! On a crystal clear day wiith family visiting from Chicago, we enjoyed tremendous harbor views and fantastically fresh delicious meals that even the kids (age 11&13) enjoyed. With the great wine choices, it was a win win. It's clearly a locals spot that's away from the crush of the tourist crowds. Too bad we live just far enough away that we couldn't enjoy a few of those awesome cocktails that the bar crowd was humming with. Ahhhh next time Santa Cruz...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy 61st BirthdayCindyDined on 8/7/2014I celebrated my birthday with five friends, and what a nice evening it was. Our server was professional and attentive, all of us loved our dinners and drinks and dessert, and the energy is really fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great selections, warm atmospherensmanDined on 8/4/2014The blackened scallops were the best we had in years - absolutely perfect. It's also nice to see a well-thought through wine list to go with the options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seaside in Santa CruzDineMuchDined on 8/4/2014We were looking for local seafood restaurant with a view. We found it! Food was good, service was attentive, Almost too attentive. We found our food coming out almost as fast as we ordered it and they grabbed the bread basket before we were done. It was a Monday and they weren't that busy, so, I guess they were on top of it...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chef's trioDineoutqueenVIPDined on 7/31/2014This was an excellent choice for two people. The cod was outstanding. Albacore and sea bass great. Interesting preparations and good wine on offer. A little noisy but we could still talk. Good fish. Well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/31/2014Lovely view of harbor, good service. Halibut was slightly overcooked and portion for prawn lunch entrée was very small. Loved the dessert trio; so nice to have the chance to sample different tastes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food with an amazing view.neighborhooddinerDined on 7/29/2014A variety of gluten-free options for anyone with celiac diseaseSpecial Features:
- Food and atmospherealohaDined on 7/28/2014The staff is always friendly with a smile. When I request a window table, I get one every time. It is beautifully decorated with plenty of windows to view our beautiful harbor and the food is always delicious and very well presented. I am always impressed with the service and delicious food. I have returned to Johnny's more than any other restaurant in the Santa Cruz area.Special Features:
- ExcellentTorfourDined on 7/26/2014Fabulous dinner with great service and view! We will be returning soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014The food was okay nothing to rave about. Their crab cakes tasted like vegetable patties. The clams casino were extremely dry.
- Dinner- Johnny's Harborside 7/24/14OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014My husband and I took foreign guests to Johnny's for dinner after requesting a table with a harbor view on the OpenTable reservation "notes" section. Sure enough, we had such a table, and a very professional server, and WONDERFUL King salmon (3 orders) and prawns (1 order). The Parisian accompaniments with the fish were excellent. Desserts (lemon panna cotta, caramel pot de creme and flourless chocolate cake) were lucious. It was a delightful experience and I know we'll return.Special Features:
- Delicious meal!ChaminadeVIPDined on 7/20/2014Great food great service Greatview great prices the waitstaff is always friendly and happy to assist you in anyway they canSpecial Features:
- Lovely!StaceyKatDined on 7/19/2014I was impressed with the menu. A variety of fish and choice of cooking method. The side dish options were divine. Service was wonderful, and prompt. I would definitely recommend Johnny's Harborside to my friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view and food but noisyCocolitoDined on 7/18/2014It's worth it even with the noise, they should change their music from top of the pop charts and it will help. Thru also had a large group there. Once they left the noise level went way down.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YuckBogieDined on 7/17/2014Had shrimp and crab Louie. Lettuce was wilted, crab and shrimp minuscule, small tomatoes mushy, and the shredded fish on top of the salad looked and smelled like cat food. Will never eat at Johnny's again. The view was great, the interior needed a total makeover.Special Features:
- Great LunhmangiamiaDined on 7/14/2014We truly enjoyed our lunch and the view is wonderful. Lots of activity in the Harbor!! We go often and will go again! Thanks J LawlessSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good seafoodpoppy831Dined on 7/13/2014I frequently order the fish tacos- you can order 2 or 3 tacos, each with a different kind of fresh fish. I rate them as the top 2 best fish tacos I've had. Nice atmosphere, overlooking the Santa Cruz harbor. Fun place to gather.Special Features:
- Great DinneradamsbratDined on 7/9/2014We were in town for only one night, and tried Johnny's based on reviews- and glad we did. A very casual environment and a great view of the marina. The Fire & Ice wedge was a nice change from a regular wedge...and very tasty. For the entree, I couldn't make a decision so our waiter helped me, and it was FABULOUS! Blackened, seared ahi with the Indian Summer accompaniments. LOVED it! If we lived in the area, we'd be back for sure!Special Features:
- dining outtreat2eatoutDined on 7/3/2014Johnny's Harborside was a delicious dinner. We had the blackened halibut which was tasty but next time I would order it sauteed so I could ejoy the subtle flavor of the fish. Had a chardonnay from Austria, very good but I don't understand not serving our incredible local wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/20/2014We were just in the area for one night ... This was a great place, food was good, fresh and delicious, service was good and friendly. There was a general hubbub which you get when everyone is having a good time. Will go there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinnerBogeymanraDined on 6/19/2014Can't go wrong. This past dinner was fantastic food but server was not as attentive as usual but not horrible and there was a patron in a large group that had a bit too much and was obnoxiously loud but having been here many times without these experiences keeps me coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just isn't the samehulawahine05Dined on 6/16/2014Use to be the Johnny's had great food AND service. However the past 3 times I have been there, not lunch and dinner, both of been lacking. I am not sure where the breakdown is happening, but we won't be back.
- Love this placejeffschoiceDined on 5/31/2014The food was terrific... Service was good and the view of the Santa Cruz harbor is outstanding.... Nice fresh fish selection.. Chef uses a Bordeaux sauce ... Not traditional but very good.... The desert sampler is amazing , love the, " Pick any 3 items for $8".Special Features:
- DisappointedWannabefoodie0601Dined on 5/31/2014They had a good concept, but they were short on the execution. I really wanted to like the place from the get go. My husband and I enjoyed the ambiance and harbor view. Our server was friendly and helpful. What mire can you ask for, right? Our disappointment started with the tiny calamaris where you end up just tasting the batter instead of the calamari. The clam chowder was good, but I didn't find any clams. My small size prawns with brown rice and edamame had mediocre taste. The steak was overcooked and lacked the flavor especially for $34. We were pleasantly surprised though with the dessert. The dessert trio was delicious. My husband liked the chocolate cake while I favored the creme brûlée. My daughter enjoyed the pana cotta.Special Features:
- good dining experienceDeeteeDined on 5/31/2014We managed to get a table that faces the water. There's a rather unexciting view of the parking lot from the restaurant too, so arrive early or after peak hour if you want a good table. Great views of the harbor and easy parking. The service was great, the place is very kid-friendly. The food was good, we ordered the salmon with a side of vegetables and mashed potatoes and a spinach salad with berries and goat cheese. Overall, it was a good dining experience, and I recommend this to anyone looking for a restaurant in Santa CruzSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always enjoy johnny'sLG12Dined on 5/29/2014we went for dinner , i had the salmon, sautéed....really good..the polenta was so creamy, loved it...the sauvignon blanc i chose was good...light & perfect w/ the salmon...my wife had the caesar & crab cakes....ceasar was a little too heavy on the anchovy ....her crab cakes were good but a little strong....still we will go back..their fish & chips are famous .....our waiter was busy & a little too cool for himself....but the service was fine....there is one waitress there who is awesome...she is very sweet....comes to your table with a big smile..has a very soft sweet voice....the view of the harbor is fun too....Special Features:
- TerribleSantaCruzregularDined on 5/29/2014Very annoying - both parking staff and wait staff and hostess failed to warn us of aggressive Santa Cruz police that ticketed us one minute after arriving in parking space. We filled meter twice but still got ticketed - incredulous. Food really not very good.Special Features:
- Great Fish and Chips,nothing elseLongtimeMemberVIPDined on 5/25/2014This place only got 3 stars because of the fish and chips which were excellent. Everything else was wrong. Poor service, rude host and hostess, seated at bad table even though had VIP opentable status and place was empty when we arrived and remained that way for quite a while. Waited too long for a basket with 2 rolls. Request for more produced 2 stale rolls,hard and dry like rocks. Seafood Louie had a lot of fish but all of it was tasteless and so obviously frozen. Waaaay too much dressing already mixed with the greens. The last reviewer 5/24 who said everything was fresh and wonderful, must be the owner.There is nothing romantic or high quality about this very casual,seafood shack.Nothing fancy, fine, amazing or highest quality. Trust me.Special Features:
- Johnny Harborside ExperienceJustinDined on 5/24/2014Johnny's Harborside is just absolutely amazing. The pallet of flavors in every dish is a masterpiece blend. Everything is fresh and is of the highest quality. Highly recomended for any occasion. You can not possibly be disapointed. Everything from the service to the silverware makes you feel the quality and care the restaurant takes in everything it does.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelous MusselsMacandMagnusDined on 5/23/2014Okay, I am no spring chicken, so I have to say that one of my goto appetizers is mussels! But the new recipe Johnny's has put together for their mussels blew me away! Amazing aroma, mussels cooked to perfection, so you can count the days till I go back for more!Special Features:
- The following 368 reviews are from the Johnny's Harborside reviews archive.