9407 Ventnor Ave
Margate City, NJ 08402Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johnnyscafeventnor.com/
- Phone: 6098221789x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Daily: 7:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Daily: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour: 4:00pm - 6:00 pm, 7 Days a Week Wednesday Night 4:00 pm- 6:00 pm Happy Hour Cocktails All Night Long At both of our Bars!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Italian
- Executive Chef: John W Liccio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Johnny's Cafe and Martini Bar offers many options for your catering needs. Our new room and bar is perfect for that special function. We cater off site too and we will accommodate any special menu requests.
Check our website for the different packages that are offered.
Please contact our catering manager would be happy to discuss your options
- Private Party Facilities: Or Private Dining area has a fireplace and its own bar for your affair
- Private Party Contact: Joanne Liccio 6098221789x
- Entertainment: Weekly Entertainment Schedule
Dancing to the Music with the Area's Best DJ's -
Monday Nights, Jazz Duo Joe Mancini & Guest 6:00 pm-9:00 pm
Wednesday and Sunday nights, Benny Marsala 6:30-close
Friday & Saturday Nights, Guest DJ 8:30-Close
- Special Events:
Plan your next special event at Johnny's Cafe. We have a beautiful back room which includes a bar and fireplace. Perfect for your next birthday, Wedding, or Reception. Call for more details.
A word from Johnny's Cafe
Johnny's Cafe and Martini Bar brings the finest Italian Cuisine and creative seafood dishes to Margate, NJ. Over the last few years Johnny's has evolved from a small cafe to being one of the most sought out restaurants and martini bars on the Jersey Shore The atmosphere is warm and friendly and the seasoned service staff will make you know that you belong. Johnny's is known for his dessert creations as well as his family's recipe homemade Meatballs, which are the finest you can have. Johnny's is open 7 days a week for Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night and Cocktails. We would love to see you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeighborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Johnny's Cafe - Best Restaurants in Margate ›
Johnny's Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
138 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (74)neighborhood gem (66)hot spot (56)fit for foodies (47)special occasion (36)good for groups (36)romantic (25)notable wine list (18)late-night find (18)great for brunch (15)great for lunch (11)kid-friendly (7)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014Food was great. My only complaint was they would not substitute pasta for potato and vegetable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NoiseunclemaxDined on 8/15/2014The food and wait staff were great! The ambiance was very nice. However, the noise level was deafening. There is a small bar in the dining area where you first walk in and a large U shaped bar in the larger main dining area. You have to talk very loud in order to be heard which just adds to the noise level. The place is always packed and hopping. But bring ear plugs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Frankie has been our waiter several times and is outstanding at his job!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and Great ServiceMacphillyDined on 8/14/2014Thoroughly enjoyed an anniversary dinner with my wife and kids. Great food and service. Will no doubt go again. Huge portions that could be shared and good wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food,Great time!WeegwowDined on 8/13/2014Johnny's was a great dining experience for my family. The food was fabulous, the atmosphere was energetic and the plus was an entertainer that sounded exactly like Frank Sinatra. Great time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely EnjoyableFood4meDined on 8/13/2014We sat in the back room, its more of a bar type with more television and some louder music. They have a front eating area as well that seems to be a little more romantic and quiet. So it is nice that they provide both settings to their patrons. They wine list seemed to be pretty well stocked with a wide variety. I would recommend to couples going out for a nice meal on the town with other couple friends and even to individual couples looking for something a little more romantic.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014First visit. Varied menu. Good food. Excellent service. Only downside was noise level, very loud. May try again maybe not on Saturday night so It may not be so noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience.JF3statesDined on 8/8/2014Our reservation was early at 6:15 so the restaurant wasn't busy yet. Our waiter William was excellent! So many great specials to chose from. The flatbread app with arugula and prosciutto was delicious. All our entrees were great and my husband and I shared blueberry pie which was so yummy. The place had filled up during the hour + we were there and the noise level definitely grew but it was a fun atmosphere. A bit pricey but worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun AgainvisitorDined on 8/7/2014We enjoyed our evening last Sunday at Johnny's Café, as usual the place had a fun buzz about it. The food was outstanding, and interesting, which enhanced our experience. Service was through, but I enjoyed the Valet guys the most, made us feel welcome when we arrived, and appreciated when we left.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Johnny's CafeabcdeVIPDined on 8/4/2014The hostess was less than pleasant. The entire restaurant was virtually empty and she offered us two seating choices, both next to the kitchen door. She certainly had no reason to have an attitude. Our server was fine, but given that the restaurant was virtually empty, our water glasses were constantly empty and the server took little to no initiative to ensure that everything was fine and that we did not need anything else. The caesar salad was fair at best, not what I would have expected from a restaurant that was not cheap. The main courses were okay, but nothing memorable. This was a our first time at Johnny's and we will not be back.
- Dining DelightAllenDined on 8/3/2014We were a bit nervous because a lot of the reviews said how noisy it was. We got there before 6:00 p.m. and I asked the hostess where we could sit so we wouldn't hear a lot of noise. We were seated in a lovely location. When we were leaving, we checked the other room and it was way too noisy for us. The waiter was good but the food was even better. We both got the Salmon Wellington and it was delicious, prepared well and a nice size portion. I've recommended your place to several people since.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- drunken patronsunhappyeaterDined on 8/1/2014aside from the noise level, they did nothing to help our table from the abuse of some loud drunk patrons who disturbed our dinner and several others. Many people around us said they would not come back. the owner was there and he did nothing at all. I even went back the next day to explain the events and only got I am sorry. the food is expensive and the scene is unpleasant.
- an off nightgoldysDined on 8/1/2014The homemade seafood pasta was mushy. We asked to have it remade, and it came back with hardly any seafood! Then our waiter knocked a full glass of wine off or table and didn't automatically replace it!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!LeenieLovesACDined on 7/25/2014This place is one of the best- great atmosphere, service, and most of all, amazing food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Frankie rocks!MitchVIPDined on 7/25/2014Everything was amazing, and Frankiwmwas awesome. Spent the evening with my 2 children and gr8 friend Margo! See you guys soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the BestDebala1Dined on 7/24/2014Johnny's is one of the very best dining experiences Margate (and surrounding areas) has to offerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a winnerJDlovesfunVIPDined on 7/23/2014I never had a bad meal at Johnny's. I've been eating at Johnny's since he had a small restaurant in Ventnor, and have been a fan through his opening in Margate and renovations to hold more diners. My family and friends always enjoy a good meal. It also becomes a dance spot later at night. Don't forget to try Shucker's, owned by Johnny, right next door for a major fresh seafood menu. I've even gone there two nights in a row.Special Features:
- Tooooooooo loudOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/23/2014The Frank Sinatra medley was to loud and ruined the nonambience. People were yelling to be heard above the din. I could not hear the persons at my table. The food was good, prices too high, service fair at best.Special Features:
- Noise LevelPattyDined on 7/20/2014Excellent food, service and atmosphere. The only problem we had with Johnny's is the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BurgermanVIPDined on 7/18/2014food was vey good as well as the service atmosphere is very comfortable although it can get noisy on a busy night overall a very pleasant dining experienceSpecial Features:
- Good food, decent ambianceLorenDined on 7/17/2014Good food and while it was early in the dinner hour and therefore not crowded, the noise was tolerable this time. The ambiance needs some work....there are windows facing the sidewalk across the width of the restaurant. Aside from looking at the bar or other tables, there really isn't much to look at in this restaurant. Food was good and since this was my second time, it was consistently good. The waitresses clearly were told to wear low cut dresses....they paraded about the restaurant when they were not serving customers....made the dining experience somewhat bizarre.Special Features:
- Very unhappy dining experience!Unhappy4VIPDined on 7/13/2014This had to be one of the worst dining experiences we EVER encountered. Had reservation, had to wait 45 minutes. Tables too close together. Noise level was over the top LOUD! No pasta served with the entrees - only garlic mashed potatoes. What's up with that in an Italian Restaurant??? We are pasta lovers and no pasta was to be found under any entrees. Very strange. Will not go back and will not recommend EVER!Special Features:
- Not worth the money.parskiDined on 7/12/2014Main courses were very disappointed. One veal dish had to be sent back with pasta for being under sauced & the other veal dinner was so over sauced. In both cases the veal was tough. When you go to a restaurant & spend $100.00 you expect better.Special Features:
- sublimeX4meVIPDined on 7/11/2014This was our first time at Johnny's. The food and service were really good! The noise level was the problem. With the bar being in the middle of the dining room we almost had to shout to hear each other speak. We'll be back in the off season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisey, great food for the deafLorenDined on 7/10/2014Incredibly loud. The long list of specials was unintelligible...multiple servers talking next to each other, packed in tables and loud singer trying to compete (not very good singer). Food was excellent, so as long as hearing ...or becoming deaf...is not an issue, good place.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, too loudK8collins23Dined on 7/6/2014We went to dinner at Johnny's in the early evening. They have a kids menu, which is nice, but they don't really cater to families, so the kids' plates are not actually on the menu. You have to ask the server. The food was delicious, however the noise level was so loud it would make me think twice before going back. First of all, the music was loud, with the bass so high you could feel it in your chest. That would be fine for later in the evening, I guess, but at 7, don't people want to have dinner conversation? With the music so loud, everyone had to talk loudly to be heard, and since the place was full, it was as noisy as an elementary school cafeteria.Special Features:
- Best in margateSteakprincessDined on 7/5/2014Forget about those who claim to have the best meatball and gravy because at Johnny's cafe is where the real deal is. ALL the food is amazing. The service is unbeatable. And our gracious host Johnny is always there to say hello. Don't leave the shore without treating yourself to Johnny's cafeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good and consistentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/3/2014Dinner was well serviced with goodness and abundance. Server made sure requests were taken care of properly. Have been there numerous times and will return!Special Features:
- Fix the acoustics and it's great!Ems529Dined on 6/30/2014I came to Johnny's for dinner on a Monday hoping to avoid the poor noise level reviews. The acoustics do not allow that. I love the ambiance of Johnny's and the food, but the noise is really poor. I am relatively young and this never bothers me. The service was great and the broiled seafood combination pladder was out of this world!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/29/2014Way too frenetic. Servers talking to themselves and speeding by the tables.Special Features:
- A maybeEatinoutDined on 6/28/2014The service and food were great. We sat in back room and it was a great set up but the noise level was insane. The 4 of us felt like we were screaming just to talk. Will probably try front room next time.Special Features:
- Always good eatsMargateDined on 6/27/2014I've enjoyed dinners at Johnny's many times (a few breakfasts too) and have never been disappointed. Whether surf or turf the menu is always top notch. The drinks are varied, tasty, and nicely complement the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnny's Cafebs5000Dined on 6/21/2014The evening special, Bronzino, was fabulous! Attentive waiter, adorable bus boy, lively crowd, dessert was impressive: choclate ice cream meringue!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- frankDined on 6/21/2014We have been several times and still one of our favorite places!Special Features:
- Doing the right thingSammieVIPDined on 6/20/2014This guy Johnnie must know what he's doing. Even before you get inside you get a good feeling...Valet parking. Busy place but seated almost immediately. Waiter made me feel at home and was very helpful and honest. Good job William! Third time there. Food delicious and fresh. Very very tasty. Johnnies must inspect his meats and produce. Meal was delightful. Everything that comes out of that kitchen is very tasty. I watch his waiter, waitress and girls who seat you....very professional . Prices are fair. You get what you pay for. Johnnie knows what he is doing. See you soon .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Italian TreatPAContingentDined on 6/18/2014Dinner was excellent. It's our go- to "shore but not at the shore" place to dine. Our Server was knowledgeable and friendly. Our group of six had a variety of dishes and everyone was quite Pleased with their selection. It was active in the bar and a bit noisy but we sat in the other room so we could engage in polite dinner conversation. Give it a try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Little disappointingFoodieDined on 6/15/2014Food was just okay, little bland. Service was very good.
- Great foodAudreyVIPDined on 6/11/2014We enjoyed our dinner. It was quite loud in the dining room but we were offered seats in a quieter room. We decided to sit in the main room. There was a dj playing some old music. It was niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not recommendedDisappointedDined on 6/7/2014I was hoping to have a nice, quiet dinner, and instead, I left with a migraine. As for the food, I felt that it was flavorful but definitely overpriced. Overall, I was disappointed.
- Mix-up ends wellMattCDined on 6/6/2014I originally thought I was booking an online reservation for Shuckers, but when we got there a hostess told us that we had booked at a place in Maryland and that we would have to out our name in and wait. I found her to be a little condescending, so I showed her my phone reservation, she said " oh you are at Johnny's." So we headed over and they were ready for us with a nice corner table. They even said " happy anniversary" We then had a great meal. My wife and I had a lovely 17th anniversary. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.