Johnnie's On The Side
138 Portland Street
Boston, MA 02114Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Johnnie's On The Side
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.westendjohnnies.com/
- Phone: (617) 227-1588
- Hours of Operation:
Johnnie's opens at 5pm, Tuesday through Saturday and 11am on Sundays for our Reggae Brunch. We are also open on Mondays with events at the Garden and we open early for afternoon concerts and games.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Wine
- Special Events: Please check our website for special events, pictures and other details.
- Public Transit: Johnnie's is conveniently located one block south of North Station which is accessable from the MBTA's Green and Orange Lines.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There are several garages and parking lots immediately adjacent to Johnnie's. Street parking is available but gets very limited during Garden events.
A word from Johnnie's On The Side
Johnnie's is a collection of memories for all. Personally autographed pictures and genuine memorabilia of your favorite movie stars, politicians, athletes and musicians. Casual, upscale dining in a great location. Set on the side of the "Old West End" just blocks away from North Station, the TD Bank North Garden, historic Faneuil Hall and Quincy Market. The decor consists of a combination of light and dark woods, copper, brass and luxurious leather with huge floor to ceiling windows that you must see to appreciate. The menu consists of contemporary American classics with various, multi-ethnic influences. We open at 5pm every Tuesday through Saturday for dinner,as well as our famous Reggae brunch from 11am to 4pm on Sundays. We are also open Mondays with Garden events and we do open early for afternoon games and concerts. For reservations of groups larger than 6, please call to check for availability.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Johnnie's On The Side reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)good for groups (4)great for brunch (3)vibrant bar scene (3)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (2)special occasion (1)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- Pre Show ExcellenceSkoozDined on 10/25/2014Third visit to Johnnie's and never disappointed. Had dinner with my better half Saturday before Fleetwood Mac and enjoyed the service and most importantly the food is excellent for a neighborhood pub. Had the fish and chips and she had the salmon. Smiled all through dinner.Special Features:
- A good Choice Before B' gameOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/11/2014Good Spot to go before or after a Bruins Game. it has a nice bar and good pub foodSpecial Features:
- The following 175 reviews are from the Johnnie's On The Side reviews archive.
- Decent food, great service, NOISYGunnsOfFunVIPDined on 7/13/2014I'd been to West End Johnnie's a couple of times for drinks and a concert and decided to check out their "reggae brunch" based on a recommendation. While the food was good and the service excellent, the band was much, MUCH too loud. I get that Johnnie's is a bar, and it's a great place to watch a late-night concert or dance, in which case, crank the music up. But when I can't even hear my friend sitting six inches away from me because the music is blasting (and we were sitting at a table with the speakers facing AWAY from us), that borders on the absurd. As we were seated while the band was on break, we didn't realize how exuberant the music would be and probably would have left if we had not already ordered.Special Features:
- MickerbabyDined on 6/29/2014Location was amazing and it was a great reggae brunch!!Special Features:
- reggae brunchbdayqueenDined on 6/22/2014Great atmosphere and amazing foods and drinks. The only bad thing was the reggae band took a 1-hr break shortly after we were seated so we did not get to hear as much music as we would have liked.Special Features:
- My wife and I went to Johnny'sOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2014My wife and I went to Johnny's prior to attending the Cher concert. Perfect location near the Garden and the service was extremely fast without prompting the waitress. The steaks tips were a delight and my wife loved the salmon. Great pre game or event spot. Just book ahead and you'll be fine.Special Features:
- Best Brunch in TownChristineab147VIPDined on 3/30/2014We loved reggae brunch! Johnnie's has a great atmosphere and the service was excellent. We will tell our friends and plan on making another reservation in advance very soon.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnnie's On the Side ReviewcapennDined on 3/23/2014Awesome for brunch on Sunday afternoon - great live reggae band, so energetic and fun! Only grip... kitchen closes at 3:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and service weregreat,SamEatsDined on 3/23/2014Food and service weregreat, band was a little loud for brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for pre Garden eventCountryMouseDined on 3/22/2014Went here with the family before a hockey game at the Garden. Location was great, food was very good, service was excellent. We will definitely return prior to the next Garden event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reggae Brunch is a must do!HeatherDined on 3/16/2014The reggae brunch on Sundays is a must if you are in Boston. West End Johnnies makes a killer Bloody Mary and they have a wide assortment of other brunch drinks to choose from. The brunch menu has a wide array of options - your classic brunch fare, but made well and always tastes delicious. The real unique part of this brunch experience is that on Sunday's there is a live reggae band that performs. The lead singer moves through the restaurant and will interact with different tables. It's a really fun atmosphere. Tip: The restaurant takes reservations Mon - Thurs for the brunch on Sunday. Try sitting at the bar, if you don't have a reservation and no tables are available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BruchAppleDined on 3/9/2014Food was ok. Service was slow, but they were very busy. My order was wrong (I did not ask to have it corrected). Brunch is too loud if you want to talk, otherwise is fun with good music. I am not running back, but would try one more time for dinner.
- Loved it!SunshineDDined on 3/9/2014We went to Johnnies after celebrating my friends 30th birthday party. I was looking for something chill for brunch after the festivities the night before and Johnnies was perfect! I read on their website they had live reggae and their menu looked great. I made reservations a few days before which was really easy. It had a great atmosphere and everyone was really nice. The food and drinks were delicious. We looooved the music, that was our favorite part and it was a great way to end an awesome weekend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to go before anyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/6/2014Great place to go before any event at the Garden. The service was fast, the drinks were good and the food was a step up from the normal pregame @ surrounding bars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before garden eventOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/3/2014Great place to grab good before an event at the garden. Most options around this area are fried bar food and this is a step up. Service was excellent. Incredibly friendly team.Special Features:
- dinner preconcertLEWK1138VIPDined on 2/27/2014I had dinner with a friend prior to a concert at TD. Service was quick and friendly. Food was really good -we had sandwiches so I can't speak to the entrees but they looked good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-Game ShowhungrymanDined on 1/29/2014A friend invited me to join him for a Celtics game and suggested we eat at Johnnie's. We were seated immediately. The space was large, open and well lit. Our waitress was very nice without being imposing, pushy or overwhelming in any way. She got us started with drinks right away and then gave us a few minutes to just sit down get settled and check out the menu. When we ordered the food did not take a long time to come. The dinners were ample and of good quality and presented nicely. We weren't rushed by the waitress and weren't asked "...you still WORKIN' on that?" which I HATE. When we were done the waitress cleared, asked if we were interested in dessert and finally brought the check. All in all a very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehKaryDined on 1/15/2014Menu is small. Priced higher than expected for area, cuisine, environment. Good for something besides pizza before a game, but not much else.Special Features:
- Johnnie's BrunchleeboDined on 1/5/2014Brunch was awesome with a tremendous atmosphere and very nice staff...!! It is a gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect before a sports eventMagooDined on 12/31/2013This is a short walk to the Garden, and works as a great place to go prior to the game to get a good meal in a relaxing atmosphere. The servers are courteous and friendly. The food is very good and the meals are served timely. I did not feel in the least bit rushed, but at the same time I wasn't waiting a long time. Everything went very smoothly. Well done.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service and company!PTG15Dined on 12/17/2013We held our company (just 4 of us) holiday party dinner here prior to a Bruins game. The staff was friendly and prompt and the food was very good (I had steak tips and will definitely get again)! Atmosphere was perfect for a pre game dinner but also was appropriate for a business meeting. Way to go Johnnie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- General CommentsI8outDined on 12/4/2013Food was just ok, a bit greasy Service was average at best Drinks were excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best as a pre game warm upKski69VIPDined on 12/3/2013Best as a pre game warm up before Bruins or Celtics. Otherwise, Not a place I'd frequent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- REGGAE BRUNCHMED51088Dined on 12/1/2013Had tons of fun at the Sunday Reggae Brunch! Great live music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to meet friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/12/2013Great place to meet friends before a game or other event at the Garden. The menu offers a variety of options at a very reasonable price.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FAST!!!2BruinsfansDined on 10/31/2013Talk about fast food---we had about an hour to eat before the Bruins game was set to start. We gave our order, were served our cocktail , and within 10 mins our meal was ready. Everything was delicious and we weren't rushed out the door!!! I'd definitely make this our place to dine before any sporting event!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Johnnies Reggae BrunchCate02186Dined on 9/15/2013Delicious food, great coffee and the best brunch Bloody Mary I've had in a long time. The band was excellent and the mix of people was great for people watching. We as a couple had a very romantic brunch while families sat around us and young adults gathered looking cool. I will return, thank you JohnniesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday OutingBreakfastLoverDined on 7/21/2013We went to take in the reggae vibe and kick off a birthday celebration. While I expected more from the Huevos dish, everyone else enjoyed their meals (including the huevos). The service was great and the staff was extremely friendly.Special Features:
- Brunch with a Caribbean twist!aofinbowVIPDined on 6/30/2013The food and service were good, albeit nothing particularly special, but what really sells this place is the live reggae music on Sundays. If you like your brunch with a twist, this is the place for you! The band were great and the atmosphere was relaxed and fun. I'd definitely recommend the pineapple punch cocktail to complete the experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Live Reggae during Brunch!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/23/2013This is one of my new favorite places in Boston as I will moving to this town soon. The french toast is good and the pancakes are filling. The potatoes were good too. I had the eggs and they definitely hit the spot. But best part is the serenade I got from the band singing "Easy on a Sunday morning"!! lolSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WIth the restaurant almostfathersdaydinerDined on 6/16/2013WIth the restaurant almost completely empty, the hostess tried to seat our party of 6 (3 kids) as far away from the performance as possible. When we requested to move close to the stage, she was rude and impatient and claimed she had "a million and one reservations today (fathers day)" and she didn't have time to move us. I made the reservation a week prior to fathers day, and was looking forward to at least seeing the band play. She was rude, but did finally allow us to move closer to the stage. The restaurant never filled up and there were many tables open throughout our meal. Her hosting skills were atrocious, but the food/atmosphere and service was great. Thanks!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not bad before a game, butOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/5/2013Not bad before a game, but mediocre food. Overpriced.
- great for pre-TD Garden eventscageyleftyVIPDined on 5/30/2013Booked early and glad we did. Fast service, good food, got to concert in plenty of time. Felt a little rushed by wait staff but nothing major. Definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Five Easy Pieces-Side order of HashOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/12/2013Don't expect to be able to make any substitutions, because they won't ,even with the ingredients amply available. They should also school their waitstaff these rules and not waste customer's time getting answers from the kitchen. She had to go back twice with long waits in between to tell me that they couldn't make me a hash omelet even though they have a hash sandwich on the menu. So, I watched my family eat their brunch while I waited for my appetizer. Thank goodness it was Mother's Day and not Father's Day. It's only breakfast, and the 'cook' could not make any substitutions. Waitress was rude and could care less. At least put up a sign or state it on your menu, No Substitutions like they did at the diner in the movie 'Five Easy Pieces'.
- Loved the building; closenessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/21/2013Loved the building; closeness to the TD Center, menu, decoration, but...the noise level was impossible for conversation. This is definitely a young person's restaurant. The music was much too loud for brunch time. I can see it at night, but we couldn't talk or hear each other.Special Features:
- Great casual spot for dinnerChiquitaVIPDined on 4/18/2013Great casual spot for dinner before a concert at the Garden. Service was friendly and prompt. The marinated steak tips were great. So were the cocktails!Special Features:
- Great place to catch dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/12/2013Great place to catch dinner before a game or show at the Garden.
- Overall, my experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/28/2013Overall, my experience was ok. I think my turkey burger was just ok and a little over-priced. I was hoping there would be more comfortable seating upstairs,in the more formal dining area, that was not for a large group,but we were out of luck. We ended up sitting in a booth downstairs where the atmosphere is completely different. It's dark, the furniture is old, and basically feels like you are sitting in a really old bar where the furniture was never replaced. Not quite what I wanted, but not bad either. I still enjoyed myself and had an ok experience. Would have been great if I was going there solely for drinks and appetizers with friends. It all depends on what you are looking for.
- Overall it was pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2013Overall it was pretty good - great drinks, food was good but nothing great. The only issue we had was the hostess - not friendly or helpful - never smiled. The same with the bartender -our server was friendly, efficient and nice. Music was fun andthe band was really personable and entertaining.Special Features:
- Nothing special about thisOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Nothing special about this place. Felt rather rushed, didn't get offered the chance for another drink or desserts. Not a huge choice for meals. Burgers were good but not spectacular. We don't get to Boston often, next time we will skip Johnnies and head to the Fours.