John Steven, Ltd.
1800 Thames St.
Baltimore, MD 21231Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
John Steven, Ltd.
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnstevenstavern.com/
- Phone: 4103275561x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, BAR open daily 11:00am - 2:00am.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Timothy Hogan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: We have done several off-site events for lunch and banquet style venues. We have the flexibility to work with many different needs and desires as far as catering goes. We did, at one point, have a set catering menu, but we have found it better to deal with each individual event in whatever unique manner is required. We have done on and off menu items, and created entirely specialized party menus, so be sure to consider John Steven ltd. for your catering needs! PLEASE NOTE: Contact us at email@example.com for any questions regarding private dining.
- Private Party Facilities: At John Steven ltd., we greatly enjoy hosting your private dinner parties and groups! We have a cozy dining room and our covered courtyard available for private booking, and will create a menu just for you!
- Private Party Contact: Matt Achhammer 8886533552
- Entertainment: In the near future we may have live music in the bar area, but at this time, we do not have entertainment.
- Cross Street: Ann St.
- Public Transit: The nearest public transit stop is on Fleet St. and Broadway, about four blocks from John Steven ltd. The Charm City Circulator Orange Route stops about 7 blocks away at the Central Ave. Stop, and the Green Route about 3 blocks away at Broadway and Aliceanna.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Some streets in Fell’s Point offer 2 hour free parking, while there is also a good amount of metered parking available in the area. There are also some streets that do not have the two hour limit on them, and you may park for the whole evening without charge.
A word from John Steven, Ltd.
John Steven ltd. has been a part of Fell's Point for many years. Around 1911, originally called the Holmes Hotel, we were a premiere spot for weary travelers looking for a simple watering hole and a nice place to bed down for the evening. In the 1950's, armed only with a bar and wrapped sandwiches, two men humbly began the dedication to quality and service that we honor today. In 1978, we became John Steven ltd., and have been serving Fell's Point and beyond ever since! Nestled on the corner of Ann and Thames St., we have quietly become a Baltimore gem. Experience great food, and welcoming, friendly service in our dining room or covered courtyard. We also have nice sidewalk seating, right in front of the harbour, and our tavern, featuring twenty different taps! We have a great menu with wonderful dishes from land and sea, as well as daily specials for lunch and dinner, weekday happy hour, and the best steamed fare in town! Join us and be part of history!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
John Steven, Ltd. - Best Restaurants in Fells Point ›
John Steven, Ltd. reviews from OpenTable diners
24 reviews since April 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (11)neighborhood gem (9)scenic view (5)fit for foodies (4)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (2)special occasion (2)great for brunch (2)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (1)romantic (1)notable wine list (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- Friday Night in JulyPSG2013Dined on 7/18/2014Seated right away. Had a coupon for free app- crab dip or calamari. Chose the crab dip. In a town full of awesome seafood pass on this. Not much crab and little flavor. Filet mingnion was cooked perfectly though sides were not memorable. Scallops were outstanding as they have been on several occasions. Overall okay for sitting on the waterfront on a busy summer eveningSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014we eat out a lot and I believe that this is the worst restaurant we have ever walked into. In our opinion, AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!
- Good Crab Cake Not Much More...WineNDineVIPDined on 7/11/2014The crab cakes are very good, which one would expect for a restaurant in Fells Point. However, the wine list is terrible, service is slow, and the food is way overpriced. Now we know why they were giving away free appetizers at the door.
- Good restaurantlive2runDined on 7/10/2014A group of four of us went while in Baltimore for a conference. We chose the restaurant based solely on the name because one of our group members shared the name of the restaurant! Our experience was good. We showed up almost an hour early for our reservation and they gladly seated us. We were the only diners in the restaurant area, so it was pretty quiet. The only noise complaint was the constant running up and down the wooden stairs just outside of the dining area.Special Features:
- just underwhelmingfoodguyDined on 6/28/2014The service left a lot to be desired. Honest opinion...save your money and go elsewhere.
- John Steven = accommodating2olddinersDined on 6/27/2014We were running late for our 6pm reservation on a Friday and had to make a play at the Vagabond Theater at 8pm. We called ahead and the restaurant said no problem, they were not busy. We arrived at 6:30pm and were seated right away and the waitress was very attentive, and responsive to our need for some speed. The Maryland crab soup arrived quickly and was very good. The waitress recommended an Ahi Tuna on the menu rather than the tuna special; this was a good choice. My wife's salad dish had a good amount of meat. We were out of there in plenty of time to make our show. We've eaten there before and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was very slow.SlowfoodDined on 6/22/2014We got our oysters appetizer 20 min late, with our entree. All the girl could say was " I'm going to check on that" and then she'd disappear again. Restaurant was expensive, but felt a bit white-trashy. If I'm going to pay that kind of money, I'd go to a classier place.Special Features:
- Great food / locationEggmanDined on 6/19/2014If you are looking for a good bar / pub ambience with great food this is your stop. Crab nachos are a MUST have.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodyoungfoodieDined on 6/15/2014Casual dining at its best for a good time with friends at good prices. Got the fish tacos, steamed shrimp, and mimosas... outstanding taste and great price too. Would definitely recommend! The view outside looking at the harbor definitely makes it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentcmattleDined on 6/7/2014Great place, Fra Diavolo muscles are fantastic! - We can't wait to come back.Special Features:
- Great outdoors - inconsistent foodPSG2013Dined on 5/23/2014Have been here a more than a handful of times. Great venue for people watching. Consistency of food prep seems to be declining. Skip the calamari - tasted like nothing. Seared Sesame crusted ahi was excellent. Wines by the glass were forgettable as they were being consumed stick with the draftsSpecial Features:
- The following 92 reviews are from the John Steven, Ltd. reviews archive.
- Best crabcakes ever!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/22/2014We were visiting Baltimore and were very lucky to find a table at John Steven. The waiter was very accommodating (he moved us to a different table because the first one was in a very noisy back room). The food was delicious and abundant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mussels Served in OilOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/17/2014I ordered Mussels in white wine and garlic sauce and Carol ordered crab. They both arrived looking very nice but it was downhill for me. A few of the P.E.I. 's were quite small, tasted ok but one I was forced to spit it out. Never done that before in my life! The "toast" was stale bread sprinkled with spices and oil/butter. When I dunked the toast it came up oil soaked. I did eat one piece but it was not fun. I did eat the mussels down to the sauce of flavored oil! I complained to the waitress, she saw the oil, agreed, apologized and said she would tell the cook (intentional). NO consideration in the bill total. The crab cake appetizer was excellent. Our local hotel will not recommend John Steven Ltd. anymore.
- Terrible serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/15/2014Our waiter was overwhelmed by a party of 10. It took over an hour to get appetizers. We had to ask 3 times for menus. Food was mediocre.
- Exactly What I NeededHappytogetoutDined on 3/14/2014This restaurant has the nostalgic feel of this old-time Baltimore favorite with an updated menu. I had the tuna with the Jamison infused aioli ( a special for the day) and my husband ordered the New York Strip. Both dishes were prepared well, highlighting the quality of the meat. Our waitress was attentive and one of the managers (Justin) was congenial and helpful. When the waitress was tending to another table, he cleared our plates and boxed our foods, recommending his favorite things on the menu. When a manager shows that much pride in a restaurant, it is difficult to do anything but disagree that John Steven is a restaurant of quality. Brava!Special Features:
- We decided to cancel our reservatiochasbaltDined on 3/8/2014We decided to cancel our reservation at John Steven and go to a new restaurant for us. We could not cancel through OpenTable for some reason. We called John Steven's number and was transferred to a voice mail listed with another telephone number. We tried to cancel through email address but email was returned as non-deliverable. Very frustrating. We used to just walk in at John Stevens and have a good time- will never make reservations there anymore. We went to Tapas Adela instead and were in heaven food-wise. Adela went to the top of our restaurant list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedCrabcheeseDined on 2/22/2014The restaurant had character because of the historic architecture and had a great location. At first, the service was excellent but toward the end of our meal, the server disappeared and we had to hunt down someone to find her for us. The mini-crab-cake appetizer was good but half of the mussels in the steamed PIA mussels were large and sandy. Our filets were undercooked. However, there was an excellent beer selection.Special Features:
- won't go backhungryDined on 2/16/2014Food was marginal at best and not worth the price. Wine was flat and should have been thrown out. Waitress kept coming back to tell us what was out instead of before we ordered. Just not good.
- jhuppeats3starjuppeatsVIPDined on 2/16/2014We took a large group for a late brunch/lunch at John Steven. The menu is impressive. We started with $3 bloody marys or mimosas. Large sized drinks made very well with bits of crab in the BMs with Old Bay rims. Had a couple of orders of the crab dip + pita bread. Nice portions, but didn't realize all the crab was on top of dish so once it was gone rest of the dip was crabless. Needed stirring. I had the half and half chowder/Manhattan + NE. It was one of the best soups I've ever had. Several at table got the French toast. Was good, but not particularly noteworthy. Several of us had the Baltimore club sandwich. There was way too little of the crab and shrimp, and too much bread. The crab cake sandwich was a better choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John Stevens rocks!MimiseatsDined on 2/15/2014This lovely spot was recommended by a local who knows how to have a good time, enjoy good food and become part of a good thing. The wait staff was very warm but professional and worked hard to make our special evening memorable. Our reservation was easy to set online and we were expected when we arrived. The menu suited a varied set of taste buds, the wine list extensive, and did not disappoint. We look forward to another experience there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyableOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014I dined with a party of 4, and the server was very helpful explaining the specials and with recommendations. It was our first time at John Steven's, but I expect I will return. The owner came around and gave us free drink coupons during dinner which was very nice. It smelled like delicious steamed shrimp when we came in through the bar area which was nice. We couldn't resist getting some and they were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fell's Point ClassicOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/27/2014I conducted an interview over lunch and both went very well. Loved the combination Maryland Style & Cream of Crab soup - what a great idea. Easy environment for lunch/discussion, I am sure it's great for bar/restaurant in the evening as well. Portions are large and the food is very good. A very solid Pub/restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding service, ambiance, foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2013Everything was great. The only thing that was a disappointment was the lack of traditional ceasar dressing. As a former chef, I would expect a classic ceasar dressing in a restaurant of this caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, drinks and serviceTorchDined on 12/17/2013Great food, drinks and service in a quaint setting!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very charmingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/29/2013I dined at John Steven for a first date and was very happy with the place; perfect setting for a first date, fancy enough to be romantic, yet not stuffy, perfect for a relaxing night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our entrees were very good,DeanVIPDined on 11/23/2013Our entrees were very good, but the menu was a bit pricey. We had a party of five and they wanted to seat us in the outside tent area on a cold night. They did find us a table inside when we said it was too cold, however. Probably would be a better experience on a warm summer day.Special Features:
- Great experienceJamesDined on 11/23/2013Our food was delicious, the service was excellent--quick and attentive without being over bearing or making us feel rushed. Outstanding restaurant with great neighborhood charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lots of CharacterOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/14/2013Food was very good. Service was exceptional. Great taste of Old Baltimore in a historic building!Special Features:
- Tony the bartenderAmc123Dined on 11/9/2013This was my first time at the restaurant. I live in Balto County but my friends from NJ gave me recommendation. It was a great experience and the food was very good. Tony is the best. He made me feel as though I was a guest in his own home. Kudos on the service with a big smile. Thanks, Tony!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fells Point FavoriteZGirlDined on 11/9/2013Have loved this location for many years, and it never fails to disappoint. great seafood, friendly service, casual atmosphere, historic setting. If you haven't, give it a try, you won't be disappointed!Special Features:
- Fab crab cakesBibiDined on 10/28/2013Went to John Steven with my business associates to give them a "typical" Baltimore experience. And we were not disappointed - the menu offered something for everybody, and included lots of crab dishes - the crab cakes were out of this world, loaded with crab. The lobster mac n' cheese was also very good. Essentially everything we ordered was tasty, served hot and presented very nicely. The place also has an excellent beer selection. Service was great too - fast, friendly and they were very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Get ready for a perfect eveningMerchalDined on 9/27/2013Great seafood offerings. We had the crab nachos which were innovative and yummy. Fried calamari included a sweet Asian twist that set it apart from the usual dish. Soft shell crabs were fried crisply but not greasy, on a bed of saffron risotto. We keep ordering that as long as the crabs are in season. John Stevens has a nice indoor seating area but a spectacular outdoor patio that's shaded and cool during the Summer months. It's off of the street so it's also pretty quiet and definitely separate from the active bar scene. Amazing that one restaurant can have so many spaces to satisfy our varied needs and cravings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great CrabcakestravelfanVIPDined on 9/20/2013Enjoyed a pleasant dinner - lucked out and got a quiet courtyard table on a busy Friday night. Crab cakes were excellent , scallops well prepared but the brown butter sauce was too salty and tasted slightly burned. The wedge salad was well endowed with blue cheese sauce, the roasted red pepper and fat salad was pleasant. We enjoyed our craft beer choices. We would return or the crab cakes.I would recommend this to a friend.
- D-lish Food and BeerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/26/2013Love the selection of ultra local craft beers. The lunch was very good, had the Lobster Roll, could've used drawn butter, but I opted for mayo.Special Features:
- Perfect Fells Bar/RestaurantMerchalDined on 7/26/2013This was our first visit and we will definitely return. We ate in the courtyard which was very quant and away from the bar where TVs blasted an O's game. We ate late and were offered a choice on where we wanted to sit, which was really nice. The menu contains a lot of fish which agreed with the varying food preferences in our group. Lots of crab options including crab nachos which were exceptionally tasty. The soft shell crab was excellent: lightly floured & fried and exceptionally meaty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, serviceeatatbarDined on 7/5/2013Food was very good, service was very good. The bar area was a nice area to eat lunch and have a few drinks. There were nice options for different areas to eat such as the bar area, a dining area, and a back court outside area.Special Features:
- Local diveCalGourmetFoodieDined on 6/24/2013John Steven must have been around forever and sure isn't a chain or a tourist trap, but it isn't a wow dining experience either. We sat outside on a tranquil Monday evening, weather mild and nice, and so we chatted away over seafood soups (two different sizes, always a plus), one white one red, nothing spectacular. Instead of the French Sauvignon Blanc we had ordered, the waitress (a student?) came back at long last with an Italian Pinot Grigio. Well no. We then switched to a Chilean Sauvignon Blanc that was lame and disappointing, making me switch to beer whichs seemed more in line with the location anyway. My friends ordered crab dishes which they duly ate, hungry as they were. My fish taco was regular, too. No our luckiest evening, alas.Special Features:
- Father's day dinnerpeggyDined on 6/16/2013We love Fells Point. We ate outside, loved the view, the evening weather was beautiful, ambience was nice. Feel safe and comfortable in the area. Service was quick. One steak was very underdone. Otherwise, food was lovely. My husband enjoyed his Father's day with his family, very much!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab NachosGigiDined on 6/8/2013Delicious food, nice wait staff...The crab nachos were amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeMswill79Dined on 5/27/2013My husband and I did enjoy our meal and the location. We sat outside and had a great view of the harbor. We ordered steamed shrimp which were pretty good. The shells were hard to peel on some shrimp but overall had great flavor. The entrees were good as well. Nice portion size but I do feel a bit overpriced. The one plus is that the lemonade appeared to be fresh. Our waitress was not too energetic but the service wasn't bad. I would try this place again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.