John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
2093 Smithaven Plaza
Lake Grove, NY 11755Neighborhood:
BreweryPrice: $30 and under
John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnharvards.com/locations/lake-grove-
- Phone: (631) 979-2739
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Burgers, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Erick Ferrufino
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: An excellent choice for a private business luncheon
away from the office, or a private dinner party for a
birthday, bridal or baby shower, Christenings, Communions, or any celebrations you want us to host for you with no distractions. You must have a group size of at least 25 to reserve the room
exclusively. Please speak to our manager to check the availability for your date and time.
- Private Party Contact: Manager 6319792739
A word from John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
John Harvard’s serves Long Island’s freshest beer along with a delicious menu of classic comfort food (with a few creative twists). Located in Lake Grove [right near Trader Joe’s ], our brewers keep things interesting with a rotating selection of award-winning craft ales and lagers. Everything on our menu, from our legendary Fish and Chips to our Buffalo Chicken Mac ‘n’ Cheese, is made from scratch daily, and our chef-prepared daily specials always sell out. Our full menu is available all day long and we have a special $8 lunch menu and late night pub menu. Don’t miss our popular Happy Hour from 4-7 Monday through Friday for $3 pints and half priced appetizers.Continued
Large parties are no problem so bring a crowd or just bring yourself; we’ll have a pint of the best brew in town waiting for you.
Large parties are no problem so bring a crowd or just bring yourself; we’ll have a pint of the best brew in town waiting for you.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (6)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (5)late-night find (5)special occasion (3)fit for foodies (3)neighborhood gem (2)romantic (1)hot spot (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Great Brew HouseAleboardDined on 10/30/2014John Harvards is a local restaurant that I wanted to try out for a while. I ordered the Shepherd's Pie which tasted alright but the quantity was too small for the price. The rest of my party ordered other items from the menu which looked really good like the burgers and artichoke dip. However, what really sold it for me (and the main reason I came) was for the craft beer. I tried the pumpkin spice beer during the happy hour and it was the greatest thing in the world. Definitely one of the best if not the best beer I have ever tried and well worth the price at $4 per pint. It even had a cinnamon sugar rim around the top and went down very smooth. I will definitely be returning to try their other selection of beers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic food and drinksMagsDined on 10/26/2014Three of us went for dinner and drinks. Appetizers were delicious dinner was great beers were refreshing. Service was outstanding.Special Features:
- Great experience!TaylorDined on 10/18/2014Great beer, great food and great service by bartenders and our waiter!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- extra points for close to homeDependable66VIPDined on 10/3/2014John Harvard's is close to my home so we are able to come often. So happy they honor the open table reservation. The sauce they put on the calamari is very good and should be used in other dishes.Special Features:
- Beers good but the food is not goodVic88Dined on 9/26/2014The food is getting worse compare 10 years ago. I will only come for beers and not foodSpecial Features:
- pumkin beer rulesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Beer excellent service excellent.bread cold food coldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pumpkin Spice timeBostonVisitorVIPDined on 9/1/2014Love the pumpkins spice beer on tap at John Harvards.Special Features:
- The following 35 reviews are from the John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House reviews archive.
- EmptyKevinVIPDined on 6/28/2014This place was empty at 830 on a Saturday night. We met some friends for a few beers. Very surprised to see only a handful of people in the dining room.
- Great BreweryTirednessVIPDined on 6/15/2014This was not our first time here. The food, drinks and service are fabulous. We usually go with an appetizer that may be shared. This time we took nachos. Enough for at least 5-6 people. Some took burgers. They are ALWAYS cooked the way you want. One took a veggie burger, which she said was great. Our sides were either a salad or cole slaw or fries. All of them were super. The cole slaw was not drowning in mayonnaise. Perfect. Just wish they would add sweet potato fries to the menu. They would probably be outstanding also.Special Features:
- Fantastic.HappyCustomerDined on 6/12/2014John Harvard's was nothing short of accomodating, friendly and helpful. With a group if 12, it is hard to please everyone but the staff achieved the impossible!!! Great job and thanks for a great night!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/23/2014Our waiter was Ryan and he was great! The food was good but I have to say that I felt the place has gotten run down. I even hate to say this as I am not a complainer, but since you sent to me, have to be honest. I felt it could use a good cleaning....windows all over very cloudy!
- Consistently GoodJoePVIPDined on 4/18/2014John Harvard's is a brew pub with excellent atmosphere, very good service and good food. The staff is friendly and the their menu is broad. Good choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceJohnDined on 3/16/2014The service was excellent , the waitress was very knowledgeable about the different beers. The food was better then the average chain restaurant but the craft beers more then make up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ladies' night!HorseladyDined on 3/15/2014I met my three girlfriends for dinner. I had made reservations that day on OpenTable. We were seated immediately. Everything we ordered came in a reasonable amount of time. The potato cheddar balls had a jalapeno bite to them, which probably was listed on the menu, but I didn't read the whole description since I was distracted talking. The pretzels were yummy, warm and soft. I couldn't eat the spinach and artichoke dip with tortilla chips because I'm allergic to corn. But the girls loved it. My small Caesar salad was good and just the right size. My burger was cooked perfectly and the fries were delicious. We stayed pretty long into the night and they didn't mind. They were very accommodating and attentive. Great time overall. Great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Beer - Good FoodAnniversarynightDined on 2/21/2014My husband and I wanted to go out to some place fun, but not too expensive, for our anniversary. We liked this restaurant because the food was hearty and it was a brewery so it was nice to have a sampler and get to try 6 of their beers, all of which were awesome. It wasn't just the same old restaurant which is why we liked it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time visitor to JH'sRay2301Dined on 2/8/2014Went as group of 6 thanks to Open Table. We were immediately say even though we weren't all there on time. Service was pleasant and variety of dishes were great. We will be back to try more new dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!Quincy123Dined on 1/31/2014Great food and drinks with speedy service! Definitely will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good..service poorletseatoutVIPDined on 1/24/2014When we were seated there was no silverware on the table. After asking our server and not getting it...we had to take the silverware from an unoccupied table. One salad was ordered with the dressing on the side, but came out with the dressing on the salad. We asked for broccoli instead of peas, but of course were given the peas. The server said "they were having difficulties" in the kitchen. She did remove the charge for the salad. All these difficulties did not make for a pleasurable dinner.Special Features:
- Good Time, No ComplaintsMrFoodVIPDined on 1/17/2014No complaints at all from this experience. Waiter was extremely friendly and helpful. Food came out in a timely manner and everything tasted good, including the drinks. Will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good foodnorjerDined on 1/16/2014Eating out is one of the things do often, and and my wife has always been fussy about where we ate. We find few restaurants we really meet our standards. And John Harvard is one of them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went with a group from workkmacDined on 1/8/2014Went with a group from work great service reasonable prices and good foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were looking for good burgersTXaggieDined on 1/4/2014We were looking for good burgers and that is what we found! Great choice for a casual meal with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great First VisitOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013We enjoyed our first visit to John Harvards. We live not far from the restaurant, and had been meaning to try it for quite some time. We finally dined there recently, and were very pleased with the service, food, and beverages. Our server, Kacie, did an outstanding job of explaining the menu options, and was very knowledgeable about the varied micro-brew choices. Our shrimp appetizer was a generous portion and very flavorful. Our entrees, a chicken & pasta dish and a homemade meatloaf were fresh, hot, and delicious. We finished the meal with a brownie sundae that we shared, as the portions of the entrees are plentiful. We will certainly be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BeerkennyDined on 12/29/2013The seasonal beer is great. Especially the Pumpkin Spice beer in the fall.Special Features:
- excellent food and serviceRaviDined on 12/19/2013Really pleased with the service and reservation facility. Happy hours offer good discounts for starters and drinks. I would definitely recommend this place for group hangouts and small parties.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank god for pumpkin spiceBostonVisitorVIPDined on 12/15/2013Seems to be one of the only reasons to go there. Food is ehh. Ordered chicken pot pie. Wasn't bad. Know they prepare them ahead of time but could you at least make me thing you took sonetine to prepare it and not just hear it up and have it at my table within 5 minutes of me ordering it. Your a restaurant not a fast food joint. McDonalds takes longer to get their food out. Hire some experienced people as well. Good thing my food came with a spoon as their was no silver wear on the table. Had to ask for a napkin. So now it will be another year for my return as pumpkin spice is retired for the season. Wish there could be another reason to goI would recommend this to a friend.
- Group affairPlanning101Dined on 10/20/2013Booked a 9 person lunch affair that went relatively well. The table wasn't set up upon arrival, however that was taken care of quickly. I had gotten info from the website regarding the private party lunch menus for a set price per person. The server was unfamiliar with it and had to ask the manager. The manager in turn had to see the menus I printed from their site to let the chef know what to prepare. Meanwhile all this info was all included in the reservation that I had set up. They ended up honoring the menu and prices without any further issues which is why I rated them well. However I feel they should definitely be more familiar with what the website offers and thoroughly read a reservation so confusion can be avoided.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clueless HostessAJVIIIDined on 10/19/2013After making a reservation with Open Table, my wife and I went for dinner and to watch a hockey game at a table in the bar area. It was busy when we got there and we were seated a small high top table right by the kitchen with a lot of wait staff traffic and restricted view of the TVs. We went back up front and asked if we could have the table that just opened up. The hostess said no problem. Then when the table was cleaned, she promptly seated another couple at the table we were waiting for. When we told her that was our table, she informed us that the couple she sat had a reservation. When we told her that we did as well, and she told us that table would be ours, she just went back to greeting customers. We left and won't be back.
- It's a brewery and ale houseBinneyDined on 10/19/2013not a restaurant. At least in terms of a meal. Admittedly I went for the pumpkin spice ale ... and loved that!! As far as my "dining" experience I was sorely disappointed. I was behind a group of 4 without reservations. They were seated at a booth. We were taken to the absolute worst table in the place!!! a tiny table placed between the busy aisle and a large group. The child on the bench next to me was constantly jumping around and moving the bench... I asked for the empty booth across from us and we were moved. The place was too busy for the amount of servers. We had our appetizer long before we had plates or napkins, etc. the food was typical "chain restaurant" food. Nothing out of the ordinary either good or bad.Special Features:
- John HarvardsMazzy6311Dined on 10/5/2013Excellent food, service & prices. Casual restaurant with fancy restaurant quality food!Special Features:
- Great Place for a Get-togetherExcellentVIPDined on 10/4/2013Enjoyed very much. So happy to have a reservation. Busy, busy night and walked right in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unruly childrennorjerDined on 9/28/2013A very nice place to dine. Unfortunately the experience would've been much better than what happened had the parents of some unruly children who where running around kept them in the party room and not let them into the main dining area.Special Features:
- Food was great as usual andRedgiantDined on 9/18/2013Food was great as usual and of course the beer was excellent.. Service just okSpecial Features:
- Great foodGoodnightoutDined on 9/13/2013I loved everything we ordered. And the food also looks so appetizing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saw my waiter for him to takeNeenDined on 9/5/2013Saw my waiter for him to take my drink order and food order that was the last I saw him till he brought the bill had to bother another waiter for extra napkins? . Was overcharged for a soda we didn't even have. Food came out Luke warm.
- Great place to relax and eatFriendlyDined on 8/5/2013Went with friends and were not rushed at all. Staff was very friendly and the food choices were goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer and BurgersBillVIPDined on 7/18/2013John Harvard's is a good place to quench a summer thirst and sink your teeth into a good burger. Mine was their Smokehouse burger. Onion, smoked gouda cheese, burger, fries. Yum!
- The worst service I've ever hadLuvs2go2dinnerDined on 6/16/2013The "goat cheese" salad came w/o the cheese, the waiter said the kitchen does that all the time. Waited 13 minutes for the cheese. Dinner was served, but no one had cleared the salad/appetizer plates-had to clear our own table off because the guy who delivered dinner stood there and no one else came to his aid. Our wings never came, the waiter said he totally forgot but he could put the order in (we were 1/2 way through dinner). Waited 17 minutes for the waiter to come to the table (asked other waiters to find him) so that I could get a refill on my coffee. The waiter did't return with coffee for 9 minutes. Icing on the cake - waiter asks, after giving me luke warm coffee "Will I have to come back after this?" ARE YOU SERIOUS? REALLY?
- ok but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2013This place was much as expected in food and beverage. Great beer and decent food. However service was poor by any standard. we ate there mid-afternoon so it was not busy. It took a very long time to get our orders and the waitress had a I could care less about this job attitude. At the end of our lunch it was the manager who was clearing plates from our table.
- Group Hangout SpotbraniacDined on 5/21/2013Celebrated several of my friends' graduation here. Great atmosphere..good food and beer! Had a blast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.