John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
1 Worcester Rd
Framingham, MA 01701Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnharvards.com/
- Phone: 5088752337
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Juan Mejia
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: We thank you for your interest in John Harvard"s Brewery Private Dining! Our crowd-pleasing offerings are a delicious, convenient way to entertain large gatherings of 10 people or more in any setting. Whether planning a fun social event at home or an important business function at your office, John Harvard's is the perfect way to enjoy large-party portions of your hand-prepared dishes. John Harvard's function menu offers easy-to-order menu combinations as well as a variety of our favorite foods a la carte. We offer everything from exciting appetizers to our signature spent grain pizzas,comfort food, fresh salads, pastas and brewhouse favorites, specialty entrees to our current list of beer. Additionally, our team is happy to create a customized menu for private beer dinners and an insight on beer brewing by our brewer director and our executive chef.
- Private Party Contact: Bob Scott 5088752337
A word from John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House
Home of Framingham’s Award-Winning Brews John Harvard’s Framingham has a long list of award-winning brews, a casual family-friendly atmosphere and a large private dining room for special events and meetings. Stop by to watch a game in the pub area, sample one of our medal-contender beers on tap or cask, and try a premium burger or spent grain pizza made from the brewing grains. Great Comfort Food menu selection with Chicken Pot Pie winning many awards.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House reviews from OpenTable diners
28 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (13)great for lunch (7)neighborhood gem (7)kid-friendly (6)fit for foodies (6)vibrant bar scene (5)great for outdoor dining (4)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)special occasion (2)notable wine list (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Awful awfulNotsoMuchVIPDined on 10/27/2014I should have payed more attention to the reviews from previous diners ... this place is AWFUL. It is old, dingy and the food is a less than a step up from airplane food. We only went there because we were meeting family from different parts of MA and it was centrally located with a good beer selection ... McDonald's will be a better choice next time.
- LoveLegalOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014We have been to John Harvard several times. The food is good, beverage choice very adequate, the atmosphere is fine and the service is also good. They do aim to please and we will be going back.Special Features:
- out2dineVIPDined on 10/11/2014John Harvard's is a great place to go for dinner and enjoy delicious food and great service. The menu offers a large variety of choices to satisfy everyone. They have a large selection of craft beer and usually feature a monthly beer. Our waiter Derrick gave us great service and recommended some very good beers to try. Their most popular dishes are comfort foods, such as chicken pot pie or meatloaf. The chicken pot pie was very good and hearty with many big chunks of chicken and carrots. The meatloaf is a very generous, delicious portion. I'd definitely recommend John Harvard's if you haven't been before or it's been a long time since you returned. The staff is very friendly and makes sure you enjoy the visit.Special Features:
- Always ConsistentShassiDined on 10/9/2014Dependable, reliable, and a place you can trust. It was a while since we have been. Took my 76 year old cousin from Orlando and he was not disappointed. Server was very accommodating and available. Nice job.Special Features:
- Good spotjojobangsDined on 9/18/2014A group of 6 of has had dinner at John Harvard's in Framingham. Everyone enjoyed his or her meal and the restaurant has a good beer list. It's a favorite spot in Framingham.Special Features:
- Great beer varietyNicknameVIPDined on 9/15/2014Had a very nice dinner at John Harvard's with friends. The food was good, the setting was comfortable for talking and the service was excellent. There was a great variety of local beers.Special Features:
- Getting BetterDingerVIPDined on 9/4/2014We have had some pretty bad experiences here, but were in the area so we gave it another try. Pleasantly, we were surprised to know our waiter from elsewhere. We explained problems of the past visits and he took care of everything for us. Food was good, beer was great. Nothing to stop us from going here again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsOut2DinnerDined on 8/29/2014Whether you're looking for beer or wine, meal or munchies, sandwich or burger, salad or appetizer, this place never disappoints. Excellent service, moderate prices, cheery ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for Laid Back Eveningjan5ceeDined on 8/25/2014We always have family gatherings at this location. They are very accommodating when the numbers change & also honor the reservations promptly. It's a great menu with a good choice of foods to fit everyone's needs & also good value for the money.Special Features:
- Pretty goodsullabimDined on 8/15/2014John harvards always has good food. The servers are nice and the time to wait for food is average or a little slower than average. The beer menu is limited to the 3 or 4 beers made there and could greatly benefit from some diversity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great burgers and outside patiothinkeatdrinkDined on 8/5/2014We enjoyed eating outside on the patio. The burgers were especially good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Where was the waiter?TeeeVIPDined on 7/31/2014My son chose John Harvard's to celebrate his birthday. The food is usually good. This was certainly not our best experience. The waiter was never to be found. He did not bring the great bread and oil. We needed napkins. We had to ask another server to find him for us. I was still eating and he decided to start clearing the table of everything and kept reaching in front of me several times to clear napkins, glasses etc. it was very annoying since we were trying to relax a bit before leaving. The restaurant was quiet so it was not as if the table was needed. Most of the food was good but the burger was terrible. It was raw which could be seen by looking at it. I had to send it back and it was then overcooked. The worst burger ever.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for groupsMPE16Dined on 7/24/2014I planned an event for 12 people at the restaurant and let them know that we had theater tickets and needed to be out the door at a certain time. Alexis our waitress was prompt, friendly and helped us meet our goal of eating and getting out of the restaurant on time. We were there on a Thursday night so the noise was less than you might have on a weekend. I would go there again with a group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DinnerPJBleakneyDined on 7/19/2014had never eaten here before so meeting a friend for drinks and dinner would be a good way to judge . We got there at 8 and I made reservations because I did not want to wait on a Saturday night. Reservation was a bit of over doing it as a table was readily available. My friend was already at the bar, so it was rather seamless to transit to our table. I did not know what kind of decor was here as I was wearing a polo shirt with Dockers and felt a bit over dressed, but looking around I could have worn shorts and it would have been just fine. We were there more to catch up than anything else and the food was secondary. We both had the flat iron steak and it was okay. Next time we go I will pay attention more to the menu.Special Features:
- A fun beer adventureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/11/2014I checked off "Notable wine list" even though it's not a wine list - it's a beer list. Worth going to for the food, which was good fresh bar food (I had a nice Southwest-style salad with grilled steak on top, loved it), but what makes this place stand out is the outstanding beer selection, not only from their on-site brewery but also brought in from other brewers. Good mid-priced (or even low-priced) dinner spot.Special Features:
- The following 90 reviews are from the John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House reviews archive.
- Great meal and atmosphereRTfromMADined on 6/28/2014We sat in the dining room, which was quieter than the bar area and good for conversation. The food was very good. The menu had changed a little since the last time we were here (6 months past), keeping the staples but changing up some sides. Keeping things fresh is a good thing. There were also specials available that our server showed us. I was very happy with my Caesar salad with grilled salmon (cooked through but moist, just the way I like it), and my husband was happy with the buffalo chicken mac and cheese. We started off with the kettle chips- addictive. Our server was attentive, offered us bread, and kept our drinks refilled. He also wrote everything down and our order came out correct.Special Features:
- Neighborhood favoriteout2dineVIPDined on 6/21/2014We continue to return to John Harvard's for a great dining experience. The service was very good on a Sunday night and our waiter took good care of us. They offer a lot of great comfort food. I tried the pork ribs with extra sauce on the side as the waiter suggested. The ribs were a large meaty portion with fries and a small serving of coleslaw. The meatloaf was very good with a large portion of mashed potatoes. Every week they have a special on a draft beer and entrees. Our waiter forgot to mention the specials. They have a wide variety of brews to sample. The strawberry beer is a delicious light summer draft. The outdoor dining is very popular. We plan to keep returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodathenianepicureDined on 6/14/2014I attended with three other people, and many of us felt that the menu way undersold the food. We thought the food was all amazing - local ingredients, rich flavors, but the menu reads very dull and without energy. Don't let the menu fool you - everything on it is fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John Harvard BreweryaldenmanDined on 6/3/2014Great food, waitress attentive without hovering. Food did take 25 min. to arrive after order was placed, so don't be in a real hurry here.Special Features:
- EnjoyableMamaTDined on 6/1/2014We visit John Harvard frequently and are always pleased with the experience. We've done large group events, quick lunches, and special occasion dinners. The menu is varied, food well prepared, and the staff is friendly and courteous. This is our "go to" place in Metro West.Special Features:
- Great food and beerrobbierobDined on 5/31/2014This restaurant has a really great selection of hand crafted beers as well as great pub food! The burgers are a must and the house bread is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice night celebratingAshlandFoodieDined on 5/29/2014The food was pretty good and the service was a little slow, but our waiter was training so I'll give him a pass. I had the pork ossobuco which was tender, but a little dry compared to the last time I ordered the dish at Lexx in Lexington. Lexx had a really terrific sauce for this dish that made it extra delish! Several members of our party had the bourbon salmon and loved it and want to try to make that at home. Other dishes were the chicken pot pie fish and chips and French dip pastrami.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good bar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/23/2014I had a Caesar which was a little bland and a Chowder which was very good. My wifes sandwich was good, but not great. Beers were very good, as you would hope.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food/Service/BeerDavidDined on 5/23/2014What a wonderful restaurant. In town for a few days and checked out the local restaurants via TripAdviser. Nice ratings and reviews with a quick link to Open Table. Table was ready upon arrival and wait staff was very attentive. Beer selection was wonderful, nacho appetizers were delicious, and entrees were hot and tasty. Definitely would recommend John Harvard's Brewery and Ale House.Special Features:
- Some good, some notOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/18/2014Some of our meals, such as the mac and cheese and the shepherd's pie, were terrific. The famous ribs were terrible, dry and rubbery. The chicken parm was just ok. Salad was tiny and not much but lettuce and carrot slivers. The bread served to the table was very good. Lots of beer choices. Server was very sweet but seemed overwhelmed and was not attentive. Service was pretty slow.
- thanksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014Lovely evening. Only issue - asked for a round table and guests were seated at a booth. Now know there were no round tables but a booth would have not worked. It was a BIG issue to us. The staff quickly moved us to a table for six. MUCH better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/11/2014The food was not as good as we thought it was going to be. Definitely the kind of place you want to get a good beer though.Special Features:
- Nice BreweryCng391Dined on 5/10/2014Went for dinner after picking up my sister a Logan. They had a great selection of beers and all the food we got was very tasty. We were not disappointed and would definitely go back again. We wish we got the bigger thing of nachos because they were delicious and the bread and dipping oil was as well. We had a great server who was very entertaining and kind.I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent serviceSaturdaynightDined on 5/10/2014Our waiter was top notch. The dinner was served warm and cooked correctly. A great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- winter salad was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/4/2014I ordered the winter salad with grilled salmon = it was really delicious and different from alot of salads I've had.Special Features:
- dinner and a movielove2wineanddineDined on 5/3/2014good place to go before movie! we shared an appetizer and each had our own dish - quesadillas (with black beans added) and gorgonzola burger - which we both enjoyed. there is plenty of beer to choose from and the waitress even brought samples when we couldn't decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- As usual...JDMFraminghamDined on 5/3/2014...EXCELLENT! Still my overall favorite place to go out for dinner...or lunch...or dringkSpecial Features:
- Nice findRinnyVIPDined on 5/2/2014Was going to this area & found this restaurant through Open Table. Nice place with home brews there & good variety of menu items. Quick service & pleasant staff. The food was average.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food & drinksTrishaDined on 4/29/2014Great burgers & extensive beer selection. But varied menu also available. I ordered baked fish that was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gastro Pub in the Burbs...PaulDined on 4/7/2014Long time frequenter of the original Cambridge outpost, so I was pleased to see that the menu and beer list were consistent. Service was good and the food was great. Mediterranean with steak tips was fresh and cooked perfectly to my liking. Large space slowly filled at lunch, but it the noise level was moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinning experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014The ambience was good an the service was only trumped by the amazing beer. The good was great and we had a very good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was great, food selectionsKatieDined on 4/5/2014Service was great, food selections were varied. Fun place to meet friends for a bite to eat an conversation. I made my reservation through OpenTable, but when I arrived I wasn't "in your system". The hostess quickly found us a table and said she'd contact Open Table about this glitch (I showed her my confirmation on my cell phone - not that she questioned me) Most impressive move by the staff - my brother-in-law was adventurous in his choice of beverage, which he found undrinkable. Without question, our server asked him if he would like something else. Great public relations move! We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We will definitely go againDarwinDined on 3/23/2014The staff were awesome, great service, delicious food, and John Harvard's has such an awesome and interesting decor and atmosphere. We will definitely go again and highly recommend it to all those we know!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, beer, and foodJeffDined on 3/21/2014Quickly seated and warmly greeted at the table by a lovely and cheerful Lauren. Drinks soon arrived. My son asked if instead of the Cajun blackened chicken fettuccini, if they could make him a grilled chicken fettuccini Alfredo. Lauren told us that would be no problem. I ordered the fancy grilled cheese, my daughter had a burger to order. The food was very good. We were talked into dessert. We enjoyed a beautifully presented apple crisp built in a mason jar and a huge chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich/sundae big enough to share. The manager, Mike, stopped to ensure everything was up to our expectations. We confirmed that we were pleased and gave Lauren a well deserved compliment.Special Features:
- John Harvard'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/15/2014Worst restaurant food I've had in a very long time. Dried out ribs with little sauce and lots of gristle. Drab dried out mashed potatoes with little flavor. Dried out bread. Not warm. Good ice cream, but I asked for chocolate ganache sauce (which was not a ganache-more like Hershey's syrup - big difference) and they added caramel which I didn't want or ask for. I guess because it comes that way on a dessert I didn't order. I hope I never have to eat there again. It was positively awful. The waiter was very pleasant. I didn't take out my displeasure on him. He's not the chef or the owner. Gave him a nice tip.