John D Bistro
22726 Woodward Ave
Ferndale, MI 48220Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John D Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johndbistro.com/
- Phone: 2483984070x
- Hours of Operation:
Saturaday - Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Happy Hour Tuesday - Friday 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Christopher Tietz
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We offer catering in your home, business or other settings of your choosing. Please email email@example.com to inquire.
- Private Party Facilities: We have two semi private lounges that can be booked for parties from 10-20 people. The lower lounge comfortably seats 20 people and the upper lounge (when not being used as a stage for live music) seats up to 14.
- Private Party Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org x
- Entertainment: When the stage behind the bar isn't in use for live entertainment, it becomes part of the dining room with the addition of a large table, and offer a bird's eye view of the handsome room.
- Special Events: We offer our restaurant for private gatherings. Please email email@example.com to inquire about reserving 'John D' Bistro for your private gathering.
A word from John D Bistro
Modern American cuisine in a contemporary cosmopolitan environment.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
John D Bistro - Best Restaurants in Ferndale ›
John D Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)romantic (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (3)late-night find (3)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)scenic view (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- OkayOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014Nothing terribly wrong with the experience, nothing was great either. The ambiance was a little weird. We were the only two people in the restaurant at about 7 o'clock. There was one bartender and one server working and they both were just hanging out at the bar. We would just look over when we needed something and our server would come over. The food took longer than i would've expected considering the amount of people dining. The food was pretty good, although everything seemed to be a little over salted in my opinion.
- A Laidback Brunch SpotSLF1011Dined on 8/31/2014I came here for a business brunch. We sure picked the right place. There wasn't much noise at all so we were able to hear one another and were not distracted. Our waitress was kind but was a little slow. They didn't seem to have a very big staff, though, so I'll attribute it to that. Aside from that and some miscommunication regarding the bottomless mimosas, I had a great time, had great food and would love to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Expecting MoreFoodTravelerDined on 8/27/2014A trip to this restaurant prompted an immediate post of my experience. The space is industrial and great for fine weather days like today. I ordered the mussels ($6 happy hour menu) and got 7 mussels in zero (not an under exaggeration) broth but it came with lots of bread. The mussels were dry and I shared this with the server and did not eat any. It remained on my bill. The sea bass was delicious. but portion was small for the $27 price tag. I would expect a more appropriate serving size at that price point. The parmesan fries are exactly that - french fries with parmesan cheese shaken on top. Not worth the calories or money ($7). Drink selections are great. Would only recommend happy hour menu for first timers. Save your money.
- DelightfulLove4foodDined on 8/5/2014Gorgeous space with amazing cuisine. Strong, tasty cocktails and good service. Best in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amateurishwindsorfoodie2Dined on 7/27/2014our evening at john d bistro did not start well with a ill waiter constantly coughing into his hand,the only wait staff present.we had ordered 4 drinks from the menu, and upon his return notified us there was no coors light and no hard apple cider, i guess not very popular. as we had inspected the menu we had discovered it was completley different from the internet menu. his explanation was that there was a new chef. i am sure the other chef ran fast from this establishment. our sea bass selection was actually credible , cooked properly and delicious but our john d chicken was overcooked and thus dried out. would not recommend
- LonelyTommygDined on 7/5/2014I took my wife based on the reviews from OpenTable which were mostly positive. As it ended up we were the only two in the restaurant so the manager put most of the staff busy washing chair legs edges and it was like a cleanup crew in front of us as we were the only two people in the restaurant. I ordered a Manhattan which was so full of ice my first sip tasted like water. The food was average nothing special but nothing bad.
- impalerDined on 6/28/2014We picked this restaurant because open table reccommended it as a great place for outdoor dining. We found that there could be nothing further from the truth. We sat in an alley in the back where we could smell the trash from the place next door. The food was actually quite good but they shouldn't really seat people in the back alley where the workers all come out to smoke. This is not acceptable outdoor dining. Service was exceptional, can't blame the waiter for the horrible ambiance.
- Above & Beyond ServiceAkdeorioDined on 6/28/2014I went to John D Bistro for my birthday with my family and had an amazing time! The food was cooked just right and I loved sitting by the large opening at the front of the restaurant. I was mostly impressed by our server, Anthony, who got us anything we needed and was very helpful with drink choices and explaining the menu. At the end of our dinner, he told us that my meal and bottle of wine was on him!! If you want exceptional service, delicious food, and a modern dining atmosphere, I highly recommend John D Bistro.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 139 reviews are from the John D Bistro reviews archive.
- Nice last minute find!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014My first time going was June 15 which was Father's Day. I went as a recommendation that I saw on Facebook. I am glad that I went because everything about this place was wonderful. And most importantly the lobster mac & cheese was so delicious that I ordered two! I would recommend this place anybody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeLive2eatDined on 6/8/2014Cool place, good vibe, great good. Came in for brunch, but will be back for dinner some time soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!niceDined on 6/7/2014We had a fabulous meal! From the appetizer to dessert, everything was first class! We sat outside and it was a nice relaxing atmosphere.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/30/2014Very much nicer inside than the back patio. I would recommend dining in the restauarant. Tables are on uneven surfaces and way too close to one another.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little place!WhitmoreLaketoAnnArborDined on 5/25/2014Service was awesome and so was the food; they had the front "garage-style" windows rolled up so you could see outside and watch passers-by. Will be back!Special Features:
- Fab5VIPDined on 5/24/2014We were a party of five. Four of is had very good food, one did not. The chicken was over cooked, dry and tasteless. The scallops were very good.
- An Evening with FriendsNorbzDined on 5/23/2014This was a great location for my group of friends to catch a bite to eat before seeing a show at The Ringwald theatre. Food is fresh and very flavorful. The white truffle Parmesan fries were outstanding. Everyone at our table was pleased with everything; from drinks to food. We were seated promptly when arriving, open air onto Woodward Avenue with the sun shining in. Very pleasant atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceTopgunDined on 5/18/2014We were very pleased with our experience. This was our second visit, and it was incredible. We are excited to try more of this menu. Service was attentive and the cocktails were strong.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not what we expectedluv2eatDined on 5/17/2014Heard great things about John D but were really disappointed. Hostess was very rude with a horrible attitude. Not how you want to be treated right when you walk in the door. Thankfully our waitress made up for what the hostess lacked. Waitress was great! Calamari was excellent but the rest of the meal was average.
- Great food-service not so greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/17/2014Our server was not very familiar with menu-had to keep checking with chef. Another server interrupted our dinner with "uh...are you done with the pepper mill, cuz we kinda need it". Overall, service was ok. Food was great. Portions could have been bigger for the price charged. Decor was not very warm/inviting. We will try again.Special Features:
- Disappointing Mothers Day DinnermothersdayDined on 5/11/2014We went for dinner Sunday night at 7 pm. and the menu was more of a brunch menu with a couple of items that were kind of more "dinner", but then we were informed that they were out of those things. Very empty, kind of seemed like they decided to open at the last minute with very little staff and not enough food in the kitchen with the brunch menu. We ended up leaving and going elsewhere. I need to mention that we have been several times in the past for dinner on the weekends and enjoyed it a lot.Special Features:
- Small spot, but food has big flavorMrsDodge1Dined on 5/11/2014This is an extremely quaint bistro. Do not go with a large party. The menu is outstanding. If you are looking for a bargain this is not the place. Highly recommend making a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day brunchScottBDined on 5/11/2014Group of 11 for Mother's Day, we were seated right away, had great service, and the food was delicious! They had the front wall opened up for a great breeze on a warm day. We had a really nice time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice atmosphere, so/so food.OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Not sure if they were too busy due to Mother's Day, but we were expecting higher quality food.Special Features:
- Mother's Day brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/11/2014The food took a long time. The chocolate pancakes are bitter chocolate chips not actually chocolate pancakes and kids didn't like. My huevos rancheros were cold. Server was great and they were very accommodating with seatingSpecial Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/4/2014Very good food. Excellent in fact. Seating was uncomfortable however. It was very hot with the sun streaming in the windows. We could not see for a bit. Some of us had to put on sunglasses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!!!TopgunDined on 5/4/2014Went back for the second time in a week. Filet with a lobster tail was so good. My friend got the john d chicken, best chicken ever.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 5/3/2014John D is in a great location @ Woodward & 9 in the heart of Ferndale. It's a very tight squeeze so be prepared to meet the neighbors. Sadly the food was average at best. The chicken and waffle appetizer was a combo of over cooked nugget and Hampton inn buffet. Ribs were plentiful and fell from the bone but suffered from too much rub. The fried chicken was significantly better than the app but the accompaniments were all throw-aways esp. the slaw. Cocktails were really good albeit 11 dollars. The server did not know the menu whatsoever indicating it was all new. Perhaps it's not too late to go back to the old menu.
- First time to John DBistroDined on 5/3/2014Great food....great service! On line reservations worked well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverpricedKcam33Dined on 4/30/2014Very expensive for what you get. Food was not spectacular either. Drinks were the only saving grace
- Outstanding!TopgunDined on 4/29/2014Heard they came out with a new spring menu. So we decided to give it a try. We started with the tuna tartare and the roasted bone marrow. Both were great! We ordered the Chilean sea bass and Waygu steak for entrees. Everything was outstanding. The drinks were great too. We were recommended the blueberry smash and the ben sharkey. Outstanding. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely brunchKeisukeDined on 4/27/2014Tried this place out a few months ago for dinner and decided that we would come back to try out brunch. Both experiences were great! Truly a neighborhood gem.Special Features:
- Great experiencePLdineDined on 4/25/2014It was a great find. Found this place as one of the Ferndale restaurant week, and I was glad that I got a chance to try it. The food is good and the service was great. Small cozy restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Service FailJulieDined on 4/22/2014I rate John D based on the taste of the food and regular menu options (not the restaurant week sized portions). I had a shrimp scampi appetizer, which was very tasty, nice presentation. My date had the pork belly - we both enjoyed it. Entrees were Scallops with gnocchi and a mix of veggies; and Beef Brisket Tostada. Both hot and nicely presented. Only 2 servers - ours was too busy and she made it very apparent. Food took 40 mins - I know that's not the servers fault. Our server basically threw our food in front of us and rushed on to help another table. We were not asked how it was or if we needed anything until half-way thru dessert. Overall, good food and I'll be back to try more options on the regular menu and brunch.Special Features:
- Do yourself a favor, checkLove4foodDined on 4/10/2014Do yourself a favor, check this place out. Food was incredible, drinks were some of the best I've ever had (try the Ben Sharkey cocktail) and service was attentive. Excited to try the sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John D BistroMichiganfoodieDined on 4/3/2014Great food with an ample number of selections. Calamari appetizer was perfection. Duck Confit was crispy, juicy and very flavorful. The risotto served with it-less so. My dining partner had John D Chicken-rich, delicious sauce with perfectly cooked poultry. Drinks are expensive due to short pour...charged $2.50 for "rocks"-ridiculous. Overall a fine enough experience that we would both return for another selection from the talented kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service Great FoodDGTravelsDined on 4/1/2014I hosted a work dinner here with 12 people (customers and colleagues). Service was great and food was excellent, every one enjoyed the evening. It was even warm enough to open the bay door to let fresh air in. I had the Salmon special...it was great. The Calimari was the best I've had in a long time (tender, not chewy and just the right amount of kick in the sauce). Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great menu selections, fromDebKDined on 3/29/2014Great menu selections, from apps to entre'. The beet salad was excellent. Atmosphere is warm, service is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingNicolePDined on 3/29/2014Should have stuck with ordering a burger, the filet was overcooked and under seasoned. The best thing we had was the free dessert we were offered.
- GREAT MENU FOR FOODIESJZdzDined on 3/28/2014A wonderful selection of appetizers and entries. Everything servers was presented well and tasted wonderful. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/28/2014We enjoyed the food and the service was great! Table by the door not so good. Cold draft of air every time the door was opened.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would recommend!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/18/2014Very cool spot! Wide variety of food and cocktails to choose from. Service was great! Great place to take a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.