John Bentley's - Redwood City
2915 El Camino Real
Redwood City, CA 94061Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John Bentley's - Redwood City
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johnbentleys.com/
- Phone: 6503657777x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: John Bentley
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: John Bentley's offers private dining downstairs for up to 24 people, and a private dining room upstairs, with private bar, for up to 50 people, equipped for AV presentations.
- Private Party Contact: Vincent Osar 6503657777x52
A word from John Bentley's - Redwood City
Located on the Atherton/Redwood City border, John Bentley's offers New American cuisine, a fun wine list, and warm gracious service with a full bar and banquet facilities.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
John Bentley's - Redwood City - Best Restaurants in Redwood City ›
John Bentley's - Redwood City reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (132)fit for foodies (116)neighborhood gem (99)romantic (94)notable wine list (49)great for lunch (45)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (16)hot spot (8)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Top Drawer Food, Very Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/26/2014The menu selections are wonderful and food top drawer. This was our first visit at your restaurant, got impression waiter didn't recognize us as a regular customer, so could have cared less about serving us. The special request I made for a table location was provided by the restaurant receptionist. We plan to come back for the excellent food, and hopefully the second time we receive better prompt service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014Excellent food and service. Noise level was high for older ears. We celebrated an anniversary and free desert was provided to the couple.Special Features:
- LocarnoDined on 8/22/2014This has always compared to San Francisco dining 25 years ago.Special Features:
- Note to self...Go More Often!ThreeDogDayDined on 8/21/2014We hadn't been to John Bentley's for awhile and once again we asked ourselves why! We completely enjoyed our experience. Had the very tasty artichoke starter and then the OUTSTANDING figs and gorgonzola. My main was the beautifully prepared swordfish and my husband another starter - a beet ravioli. Both excellent. Sticky toffee cake (still thinking about it - so good) and a peanut butter genaché for dessert. The 4 stars for service was just because I felt our wait person was a bit rushed but we were well taken care of.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodoldfoodieDined on 8/21/2014We went here for our anniversary and had wonderful entrees. The waitress was very knowledgeable about the wines and dishes. She even provided a sampling of two Pinot Noires to help decide which one to get. The sweetbreads that I had were incredible. My wife's steak was excellent also. We were given free deserts to celebrate the occasion. We just shared one. The booths are arranged facing the other tables in a long narrow area. It feels less private...a minor issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday's CelebrationViviMendezDined on 8/19/2014My plan was to take my husband to celebrate his birthday in one of the best restaurants of the Peninsula. I checked all the good reviews and John Bentley's was in the list. At the moment we arrived our table was ready, nice smiles and greeting :) The service was really fast, we loved it! Even though the food is a little expensive, it's worth; I knew I was paying for good food, quality and service. One star less because the waitress asked me what to drink and I asked back "what do you have to drink" and she didn't understand my question mentioning my question was very vague. Of course, that made me feel uncomfortable, so I didn't give extra tip.Special Features:
- Pleasant EveningNOLAfanDined on 8/18/2014John Bentley'e is one of our favorite local special ocasion spots. Menu had a lot of good things on it - had trouble making a selection. Food was very good. Stuffed figs appetizer set the tone for my veal dish. My wife started with roasted beet ravioli appetizer and then the double cut pork chop. Very nice bottle of David Bruce Pinot made the evening quite memorable.Special Features:
- Birthday DinnerluvvansVIPDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyed a very nice birthday dinner. Bartender, Steve, was great. Drinks were good. Waiter, Bill G. was also great. The lamb & swordfish specials were very tasty. The sauces on the entrees were delicious. The iceberg salad & delicious roquefort(sp) dressing was a good start to the dinner. The sticky toffee pudding dessert (gifted by the restaurant for the birthday celebration) was just the right way to finish. Owner, Mr. Bentley circulated around the tables. Nice touch.Special Features:
- John Bentley'sLadyjDined on 8/15/2014The food was delicious and fresh. The menu had variety without being over or underwhelming . Perhaps needing a new more "trendy" offering . Portion size was appopiate for each course. Although the service was attentive, it was a bit clumsy, The restaurant was full, the bar was full of people were having a great time. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinnerDevaDined on 8/14/2014We took my sister-in-law there for her 75th birthday. We had a wonderful dinner.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014My husband and I ate John Bentleys for the first time this week. We had a great experience. I loved the dim lighting and friendly staff. The food was GREAT! I will recommend this restaurant to all our family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- go you will love itnativecaDined on 8/8/2014great dining classic experience wait staff was informative and demure food was prepared perfectly menu had good variety with unigue selections without being pretentiousSpecial Features:
- Great Food and Great ServiceClaraVIPDined on 8/5/2014We have been going here for years and are never disappointed. The menu is creative and the food prepared perfectly. The wait staff is friendly and efficient. Highly recommend Bentley's for special occasions.Special Features:
- Great food, great service & valueDinahDined on 8/4/2014The food was so delicious. Great selection to accommodate the most discriminating eater. The meat items were of high quality and so tender. The fish was fresh too. Desserts can stand on their own merit too. I could have that toffee pudding cake as an entree, it was that good.Special Features:
- delectable wine and food menuBayAreaFoodieDined on 8/2/2014Delightful dining experience - swanky manhattan-type restaurant vibe. Everything we ordered was delicious - from the cream of artichoke soup, fresh halibut with heirloom tomatoes and mouthwatering desserts.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eveningLola88Dined on 8/2/2014The service at John Bentley's is perfect. The hostess, Alexis, was charming, helpful and professional. Our server, Jan, was attentive and knowledgeable. The food was delicious and the night was very special for my husband and me.Special Features:
- Reliable MealscerfsupDined on 7/30/2014I don't get out to the west coast very often but I always look forward to a meal at John Bentley's. Never had a disappointing meal and the service is always discreet and timely.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!CellarSnobVIPDined on 7/29/2014I absolutely loved everything about this restaurant. I had the Trumpet Mushroom "paparadelle" for lunch followed up by the warm caramel bread pudding for desert. Yum is all I can say - can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- a great choice!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/26/2014had never been here but chose to come here to celebrate a milestone birthday for my mother. turns out, it was a spectacular dining experience! the food, the wine, the service and atmosphere all came together in sync. would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinnerlaff1Dined on 7/25/2014Great food. I get the same thing every time I come, as I have never had a pork chop like theirs. I can't get myself to deviate! Had the watermelon/crab salad to start and it was excellent. Great service too. We like that you it isn't too noisy either. You can actually hear the people across the table.Special Features:
- jbird15Dined on 7/23/2014Service was very good, waitress knowlegable and gave great menu advice. Pork belly and watermelon appetizers very good. Scallops excellent, veal perfectly cooked, grilled rib eye with cabernet sauce, what else can you say? You won't be disappointed. Almost forgot, simple dessert menu but fantastic. Bar service and drinks were excellent.Special Features:
- Nice Find not too far from SFOmatineeVIPDined on 7/19/2014Needed a place for dinner not too far from the airport. Was a little disappointed to have to wait 20 minutes for a table for two with an 8:15 reservation. The restaurant was busy, but not too loud which made for nice dinner conversation. Ordered a cup of soup to start before the appetizers and was very pleased when the sommelier brought a complimentary cup for my wife as well. A nice touch. Had a duck appetizer and quail appetizer and both were well prepared. The tuna entrée was quite nice. The double cut pork chop had a panko crusting that reminded me of an upscale shake n bake. It was good, but I would probably just prefer a nice pan sear then oven baked or grilled. Overall a nice dinner in a nice restaurant.Special Features:
- Incredible QualityCamillDined on 7/19/2014What a great find! It's a bit of a quieter scene which is perfect for those dinners where you want to talk and hear conversation. Add to that, the excellent quality of food and great service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special eveningCoffeeGuyDined on 7/18/2014Everything about the dinner was exceptional, the wait staff, the food and the environmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good diningMissyPDined on 7/18/2014We dine at John Bentley's on special occasions. The noise from the bar area made dinner conversation difficult without raising our voices. Have never been disappointed with the food selection, service or ambience, but do wish there was some way to tone down the noise from the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fabulous special ocassion place!zarefansDined on 7/12/2014What a great find! Came from out of town to celebrate my sons promotion at work so I found this restaurant on line. It was perfect! Great dinner from our starters to dessert! The service was superb! Thanks for making this special nite a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SupurbReynVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great service, great food, great ambiance. We enjoyed artichoke soup/watermelon and crab salad/NY strip/pork chop/sticky toffee cake with ice cream. Wonderful.Special Features:
- OutstandingnoneDined on 7/10/2014A word to the wise......this is the place to be for any occasion. Food has flavor beyond comparison and ambience is superb.Special Features:
- Bentley's LunchKTinSJVIPDined on 7/9/2014My husband tried the sweetbreads for the first time as was pleasantly surprised. A low-lit restaurant with beautiful finishes gave us the feeling that we were in an upscale restaurant nestled in Redwood City. Service was excellent!Special Features:
- MontanagalVIPDined on 7/9/2014The salads were terrible, bland, wilted, and expensive. It is a dark restaurant and not worth it for lunch.
- Caesar saladlxticsVIPDined on 7/5/2014The two stars for food? Our first course was Caesar Salad, which looked and tasted as though it had been assembled from one of those kit boxes found in grocery store delis, right down to the stale, tasteless croutons. Note to the kitchen: Please learn to make this dish correctly. The rest of our dinner was very well done, though the dishes were not outstanding or particularly creative. The service was excellent, and apart from the hard-bottomed chairs, this is a pretty, relaxing place.
- everything excellentallisonDined on 7/3/2014Everything was great. We were celebrating 3 birthdays and they made very nice birthday desserts for us.Special Features:
- bentley's solid as alwayskld123VIPDined on 7/1/2014went to john Bentley's for our anniversary the other night. excellent dinner as always. attentive service tho the waiter Che was hopping with several tables to serve. Food was prepared to perfection. great varied appetizers and superb entrees with intriguing specials. Lamb dish was very tasty and my wife's pork chop was tender and seasoned so well. will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than I expected!BarbaraFVIPDined on 6/28/2014Since this place has been around for so long (though I'd never tried it), I was prepared for ordinary and tired. It's anything but! The food, while described very simply on the menu, definitely exceeded my expectations. It was delicious and presented beautifully. Much more complex than many restaurants. The tuna tartare was wonderful and the sole was really delicious. My husband's hangar steak was not only delicious but very creatively presented. Kudos to John Bentley's for keeping things fresh!Special Features:
- Bentley's rocks!luvvansVIPDined on 6/28/2014All of us really enjoyed 4 different meals. Lamb special, veal medallions, Ahi, Hanger steak. Special appetizer & salads were also very good. Noisy, but have been there when it was noisier! Bob, bartender & waitperson (136) were wonderful. We will return!Special Features:
- Special Occasion LuncheonNWigleyDined on 6/27/2014Bentley's has once again surpassed our expectations for another special occasion luncheon! This time, as a small group of 5, we had a private round table in the back, excellent service, a warm welcome from all of the staff---our favorite watermelon/crab salad and wonderful desserts. We never felt rushed, and were allowed to linger throughout the lunch hours. I highly recommend John Bentley's Restaurant for lunch and dinner, especially if you want to celebrate a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 6/26/2014We celebrated our son's birthday there for dinner. The food was excellent--one of the best Ahi Tuna dinners that I've ever had. The service was exceptionally good--friendly and timely.Special Features:
- excellent foodsandyVIPDined on 6/24/2014The service and food at John Bentley's was excellent, much better than expected. The courses and imagination of combining ingredients was fantastic. Not necessary to drive to San Francisco to find a great restaurant. Recommend the pork chop highly. I am not a pork lover, but it was amazing.Special Features:
- ExcellentPamHDined on 6/24/2014We dined to celebrate my husband's 50th birthday with another couple and everything was EXCELLENT! Our friend's husband is definitely a foodie and said when we were leaving that this was the best meal he's had out in a restaurant in a long time.Special Features:
- Best Anniversary DinnerSteveEatsOutDined on 6/21/2014Once again, John did not disappoint us when we celebrated our anniversary with my wife's brother and his wife. John's is our go to place to show out of town guests you don't have to drive to San Francisco for a great meal. The Domaine Chandon Le Reve champagne for our toasts was worth the price and we were not rushed to order. The grilled watermelon Dungeness crab avocado salad was a surprising hit. The goat cheese stuffed grilled fig special was divine. I never regret ordering the sole with the best lemon caper Beurre Blanc sauce anywhere. Three wonderful different desserts complimented our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.