John Barleycorn - River North
149 W Kinzie St
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
John Barleycorn - River North
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnbarleycorn.com/
- Phone: 7733488899
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday: 11:00am-2:00am*, Friday: 11:00am - 3:00am , Saturday 9:00am - 3:00am, Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00am*
*closing times subject to change
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from John Barleycorn - River North
The original John Barleycorn, which opened nearly 50 years ago at 658 W. Belden Avenue, has become a Chicago classic. From its debut as a neighborhood haunt featuring classical music and art slides to its current format as a sports-focused neighborhood bar and restaurant, the core of the concept remains the same: quality food at reasonable prices, a full-service bar with a stellar beer list and an eclectic interior which is both welcoming and comfortable.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
John Barleycorn - River North - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
John Barleycorn - River North reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (13)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (7)hot spot (5)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)fit for foodies (1)Show More
- AngelicanopeDined on 8/29/2014Our server, Angelica, was amazing! She took great care of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the best timemoliDined on 8/9/2014We went out for my brother's and my birthday(party of 9).John Barleycorn is a huge place so it was easy getting a table.The scene is pretty good,has a nice bar feel to it,however it was empty,which wasn't necessary a bad thing,depending what you like.The music was not that loud so we could have conversations and didn't have to yell all the time.After we got seated we waited about 10 mins to get drink menus because there were short on them because of a private party upstairs.After the drink menus we waited another 15 for someone to pick up the orders and another 15 to actually have the drinks on the table.It turns out they had one waitress for all of the lower level,all others were at the private party.Very unprofessional in my opinion.Special Features:
- Sports bar vibe w/eclectic menuUrbane29Dined on 7/13/2014I tried this restaurant while visiting Chicago and trying out a Groupon deal for brunch. From my Bellinis to my chicken and waffles, I was so impressed. For a Sunday around 11:30, there was only a small crowd, so it was pretty quiet. From the spacious bars and television screens, this place looks to be a hot spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice timeHappyToTravelDined on 7/12/2014Visited Chicago with a group of three adults plus a 16-year old and an 18-year old. Good food, wonderful service. It was a Saturday night - reservation at 8. The bar music got louder and louder - by 10 pm we couldn't hear each other to talk at the table. Other than that, a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Old reliableOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/29/2014Great place! Music was a little loud for a Sunday evening, but who am I to complain. They have great beers on draft although their selection should be a little lengthier to compete with the direction things are going in the craft beer industry...thanks so much though for having Not Your Father's Root Beer on draft!!!!! That stuff is amazing. Also, excellent burgers, will return again, thanks! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over 1 hr wait for foodJAMSVIPDined on 6/9/2014Thought we were being smart by making a reservation during Neocon week at the Merchandise Mart. Arrived at 1pm for reservation, was seated immediately, ordered food w/in 10 mins. Server cautioned that kitchen was a "little behind". Waited, waited, and waited. Wasn't personal because everyone was waiting. Felt bad for the wait staff, not their fault. Restaurant should have stopped seating people, since most who had the patience to wait got their meal comp'd. We finally gave up around 2:15, as I had already pushed back a 2:30 meeting 'til 3. I know this is out of the ordinary for this place as I've dined here several times before and not had this problem.Special Features:
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/6/2014Great bar food, service is excellent. Large room with plenty of space... reservations are recommended for lunch since this place fills up pretty fast.Special Features:
- The following 36 reviews are from the John Barleycorn - River North reviews archive.
- First TimerDianeDined on 4/14/2014This was the first time our group visited John Barleycorn. We work a couple of blocks away and looking for somewhere different to go for lunch with our birthday group. The restaurant was unusually empty for this location ( I'm talking only 5 tables of people the whole time we were there). We were seated promptly. The food was very good. My gripe would be for how empty the restaurant was the food took a while to come out and the service was just fair. We asked for our check, but had to ask a second time because it was 10 minutes and there was still no check. We were there for a little over an hour and a half and most of it was due to waiting on service. I can't imagine what it would be like if we went on one of their busy days.Special Features:
- Loud!AramiDined on 4/11/2014Music was so loud I couldn't talk to the person sitting next to me.
- Decent Burgers, Horrible ServiceStephDined on 4/5/2014We came here as a large party with a confirmed reservation. It took 15mins to even get a server, then another 10 for her to bring us menus, which turned out to only be drink menus, so it was another 10min to get food menus. We also only got two menus for a party of 10. It took over 45mins to get a drink and even longer for the food. I will not be returning because of the horrible service. Our server was impossible to find at most times, and they didn't even have the ingredients for a drink listed on their drink menu, making the wait for a drink over an hour for that person.
- Food was excellent, waitressDottyDined on 3/28/2014Food was excellent, waitress was friendly knew the menu also I was very impressed that the manager came over to chat and inquire about the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SlowBrudzDined on 3/22/2014Promptly seated when we arrived. The place was fairly busy, but there were still open tables around us. We then sat and waited 20 MINUTES until we caught the water person and he tracked down our server. She took our drink order & then waited another 10 minutes. Anyway, that sums up the service the rest of the night. I would describe it as an "I don't care" attitude by the entire place - the only one who seemed concerned with our experience the entire evening was the water person !! Food was basic and very limited menu that was explained as their "March Madness" menu - but most of the regular menu I had seen online was not there!! So many better choices in Chicago, we were able to watch the game, but that was the only positive :(
- Terrible ExperienceHockeyExperienceVIPDined on 2/21/2014We went for a team lunch to watch the USA v. Canada hockey game - apparently John Barleycorn was the only bar in Chicago that didn't get the message. We had a reservation for 6 people - got there exactly at noon and ordered immediately. After an hour and 25 minutes we got up and left without receiving our food! They were completely understaffed and overwhelmed by the turnout for the game. They were irresponsible to accept our reservation in the first place.
- Not preparedLauriDined on 2/21/2014This restaurant was completely not prepared for the crowd that came in for the Olympic Hockey finals. They were definitely understaffed and ran out of food. We waited too long to get our order in, and apparently they ran out of burger meat and had to go to either a store or their other location to pick up reinforcements. Once we got in our order, it was at least another hour before we had our meal. The manager was apologetic and comped a large part of our bill, but an explanation would have been helpful much earlier, rather than let us sit there waiting. We could have been offered to change our order to something that was more readily available.
- We went here to watch theOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 1/11/2014We went here to watch the football playoff games. Great apps and food selection and a TON of TVs with sound playing, which is KEY during games. There were a lot of people there, yet it did not feel crowded due to the spacious nature of the restaurant. They had an event going on upstairs as well, which didn't affect the atmosphere downstairs for the games. They had game day specials advertised on the website, which is one of the reasons my friends and I chose to go there, but the waitress never mentioned them (any of them), and we had to ask several times about them in order to get the best deal since we were there for several hours (2 NFL football games). Atmosphere and food were great though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!NormalitesDined on 12/28/2013We both had a great sandwich here....a turkey wrap and a turkey club, and they were both very good! And the bar was very nicely decorated for the holidays, and the staff provided great service! And there were TVs everywhere so you could see any game you wanted to! This is a great place to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy noisy noisyChazboVIPDined on 12/7/2013Great for a beer and todays games but that's about it...did I mention it was noisy!!! Food was average and fries were cold; definitely not a place for foodies. Crowded game table style seating ..... A rather uncomfortable and disappointing experience. Way beyond energetic....
- Lively Venue with Rough ServiceJillDined on 11/23/2013Great food. Spinach artichoke dip was terrific! Good variety. Fun venue, reasonably priced. Unfortunately, we had incredibly bad service by our waitress. We weren't asked about drink orders. Appetizers came before our drink orders were even taken. We waited all dinner for ketchup to arrive. When we asked to order drinks, we clearly inconvenienced the waitress. When we'd look for her, we'd see her talking to other tables. Not sure if we were ignored because we were not ordering alcohol? Or because we were a younger group (with a reservation, money to spend, and the full check on one bill.) No one acknowledged our special event - not even a candle or brownie? POOR comm. between expediters and staff. Great busboy service saved the nite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy for conversationOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/19/2013I was looking for a relaxed atmosphere to take some business clients, however the music and tv sound was too high to communicate without shouting at the person next to you. The wings and nachos were very good however the rest of the food was bland. A good beer selection was available. This would be a good place to watch a game alone and have some snacks and beer.
- Sunday LunchBobLVIPDined on 10/27/2013Stopped by for a quick lunch before the show. Was very loud in the restaurant. They had the football games blasting. Seemed a little chaotic in the restaurant but they were quick and efficient. Food was very good. We will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Place for LunchPhillyChicagoVIPDined on 10/8/2013Overall the food was really good; but there was a delay in getting a bottle of wine, took way too long. I think for the lunch hour, wait staff needs to be a little more attentive since most are on their lunch hour. But would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good menuRiverNorthfanDined on 7/19/2013I really enjoyed the food which surprised me given the bar scene. It was great for sharing and delicious. One of the best non-greasy, pub style food options in River North. Highly recommend for parties and groups. The service was horrible!! It took forever for the waitress to come by for our drink order, she was not familiar with the menu, gave no recommendations when asked and rarely stopped by. She was clearly distracted and I would say it was just her, but every waitress seemed more interested in chatting, wandering around or otherwise not doing their job. This was also not the first time that I've been here and experienced the same service. The food, atmosphere, and drinks keep me coming back... for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit. Great lookingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/9/2013First time visit. Great looking restaurant inside. I was there for a weekday lunch meeting so not too busy or loud which worked well. Food and service very good. Lots of tv monitors to watch any sporting event. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy, fun environmentfitfun71Dined on 6/24/2013JBC was a great first time experience. Servers are younger, but very attentive. Crowd is noisy & energetic- which I love. If you are looking for quiet convo, this is not the place. Good food and increduble drinks. JBC Punch is phenomenal, but dangerous. Very fun time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun atmosphere, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/24/2013Granted I was there for a hawks play off game, but we felt ignored most of the night. We asked for the check with 5 minutes left in the game. 30 minutes after the game ended, our waitress was now behind the bar. Another fifteen minutes later, she finally shows up with our check. Earlier in the night, I told her we were ready to order. Thirty minutes later, after asking a busser to find our waitress and after my entire group of friends was scanning the crowd for her, we were able to place our order. Good luck getting food/drinks regularly. Also, they charged $0.50 for a side of ranch with my buffalo chicken wrap - thought that was pretty odd and petty.Special Features:
- Everything Great & MoreLuv2experienceitallDined on 6/19/2013Loved the outdoor seating. Server was very polite and friendly. Food was delicious. Excellent menu choices. I will certainly return for a nice summer dinner. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food. Bad serviceRnorthDined on 6/14/2013Good food but service was poor. Waitress was focused on large group tablesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- after work drinkslaurenDined on 5/23/2013went for drinks after work.good atmosphere and great drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The mother's day brunch wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/12/2013The mother's day brunch was good, a ggod time was had by all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took a friend for a pre-theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 4/20/2013Took a friend for a pre-theater dinner on a saturday night. Hostess staff was dis-organized and even though the place was not busy she couldn't figure out where to take us. Ended up being taken to the totally empty 2nd floor where she stopped with us standing behind her waiting, to speak with several managers who were talking. I asked her if we were supposed to just choose a table or if she was still attempting to 'seat us' and she replied that no one had told her where to take us so she was trying to figure it out. Waitress said she had to "go downstairs" to get the beers we ordered and that it might take a while. Eventually the food arrived and it was ok. Not sure they are ready for prime time yet [it has only been open a few months
- Do not go hereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 4/7/2013One word...BRUTAL. Every aspect was horrible except for the physical space itself. First off, I showed up there with my buddy to wait for my fiancé and her friends coming from the Shamrock Shuffle and I sat at the bar and requested a Bloody Mary, and waited 10 minutes to be served. If it was packed, I would understand but there were 3 total customers sitting at the bar including me! The bartender took my order and just went to the other end of the bar and started to clean glasses!! Just plain lazy. Second, when finally all of the group showed up (group of 6) we got seated and from the start I knew this was going to be interesting. The waitress showed up 10 minutes after we got seated...would finish but not enough characters!Special Features:
- This is truly a sports bar/restauraLakeside2LadyVIPDined on 3/30/2013This is truly a sports bar/restaurant. We both had sandwiches which were very good. They have great t.v.'s for watching sports. It is very, very loud which is fine for watching games but not good for conversation.
- We went for lunch during MarchOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 3/22/2013We went for lunch during March Madness. Huge place & fancier beers than I would have thought.
- Great place to meet a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/21/2013Great place to meet a group for drinks to watch a sporting event. The 2nd floor is great.Special Features:
- We had a great time. GroupVinceOVIPDined on 3/15/2013We had a great time. Group of us to watch MSU game Friday night. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Waitress was great. Thanks.Special Features:
- This second location of theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/6/2013This second location of the Lincoln Park favorite was acceptable in every way, but a disappointing follow up to the spot at Lincoln and Belden.Special Features:
- Terrible service, took 20OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/26/2013Terrible service, took 20 min just to get a drink from our waitress. Also upstairs they jam as many people as they can. It was shoulder to shoulder. Don't like being bumped ever second while trying to take a drink.Special Features:
- fun placeJennjennDined on 1/19/2013Really fun place for the young crowd, really good looking crowd and fun to hang out without being too cluby!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, awesomeNotToMissVIPDined on 1/12/2013Great atmosphere, awesome bar scene. Best place to watch the big game. Servers are friendly and attentive. The food is fine but not the main attraction. This is the place to go with a group of friends to hang out, meet other people and have some drinks. Very fun!Special Features:
- Good and BasicOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 1/11/2013Stopped in for a fast lunch. Service is slow but to be expected for a Pub type place. Food is good. Nothing exciting. Very basic!Special Features: