John Ash & Co.
4330 Barnes Rd.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
John Ash & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vintnersinn.com/
- Phone: 7075277687
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Bar & Lounge: Monday-Thursday, 4:00pm; Friday-Sunday, 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schmidt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accomodate large parties in the dining room and dining terraces with vineyard views year round. A variety of group menu options and table configurations are available. Full use of the restaurant for up to 200 people is available for lunch or brunch daily.
- Private Party Contact: Robin Ameral 7075662617
A word from John Ash & Co.
Nestled in a picturesque vineyard setting, the restaurant reflects the rich heritage and lifestyle of the region. Executive Chef Thomas Schmidt reaps the bounty of local boutique food purveyors, while being respectful of our wine country inspired cuisine. Our award-winning wine list features over 500 selections. They also offer private banquet facilities for meetings and weddings; trellis and wisteria-shaded patio dining. ***For all Holiday parties larger than 4 people, please call directly at 800-421-2584.***Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
John Ash & Co. - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
John Ash & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
161 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (123)romantic (110)fit for foodies (96)notable wine list (93)scenic view (75)great for outdoor dining (75)good for groups (48)vibrant bar scene (32)neighborhood gem (28)great for brunch (13)hot spot (11)great for lunch (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (4)Show More
- Not what it once wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/16/2014I have dined here years ago and at the time felt like I was dining in a fine wine country restaurant. Not this time. Even though the fireplace was going, the main room was quite chilly the entire time. The bar area is at the entrance and it was quite loud. We could hear loud cheering and yelling from where we were sitting over a 200 feet away. Service was wonderful. Especially the back waiter. He was perfect with his timing and he was incredibly poised. Truly a nice experience. The wine list is nice, even by the glass. Mostly Sonoma Wine Country selections. For our meals we ordered the crab and corn fritters, tuna tartare, beet salad, fig salad, roasted sea bass, an Asian salmon and a butterscotch pot de creme. All solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular service, great foodVTRick01Dined on 10/12/2014I really liked this place. It was our last dinner for my wife and I on our honeymoon. We had the coconut lentil soup and fig, goat cheese, and arugula salad for starters and they were both very very good. I had tuna with shrimp tempura with soba noodles for my entree and it was outstanding. The melted candy bar dessert was so rich and served perfectly. Our service was perfect and it was a great end to a honeymoon trip. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Local Food a PlushappychefDined on 10/11/2014I have all the John Ash cookbooks and love his emphasis on local produce, meat and dairy. The food here is excellent. The ribs and duck cooked to perfection. However the service was confused, serving main courses to the wrong person and seating us late for our reservation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014OUTSTANDING as usual! the service was as excellent as the quality of the food!Special Features:
- Over cooked and over pricedBradWDined on 10/4/2014Sea bass was scorched. Wine is 2.5 to 3 times retail. You can do much better for much less.
- John Ash & Co. Reviewluv2eatDined on 10/3/2014Another restaurant we frequent each year in Santa Rosa. Have never been disappointed in the menu and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnervegan2BDined on 10/3/2014My wife & I choose John Ash for it's reputation to spurge. I wanted to try the Lamb as a break from my vegan diet. as appetizer's we had the Lentil soup,calamari and Heirloom tomato salad. I ask for greens be added to the salad which was done without question. The salad was the best of the first courses. The soup and the calamari were O.K. not special. The Cabernet wine was a perfect addition for the main course, the lamb shank. The lamb sis not meet my expectations and I believe it was missing a blend of herb's which I recalled having with the same dish at a restaurant in Mendocino a number of years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014We took our group of five cousins to John ash to meet up with our uncle who some had not seen in 40 years. To say we were a boisterous group is accurate. We were seared in the very scenic windowed area. Service was top notch and patient. Food divine. Chili rellano fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting but could do betterCroughton14Dined on 10/1/2014We dined here twice while staying at The Vintners Inn. On both occasions the food was interesting, of good quality and attractively presented. The staff were all very friendly but the service was very slow. We certainly don't like to be rushed but it was ages before we got our aperitif and things didn't seem to be co-ordinated. I think it would have been improved if there was an overall maitre de service overseeing everything.Special Features:
- Great experienceSteveDined on 9/27/2014Lounge service was very good. We wish the cocktail waitress could have been our dinner waitress. That is not to say there was anything wrong with our waiter. He did a good job, as did the rest of the staff. The food was very good. I had the pork chop which were cooked perfectly with great flavor. The polenta that was served with it was cooked well but was a little to rich for our taste. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linda C.LocalAgainDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed a family birthday with a group of six adults and received excellent and timely service. All of our dishes were good to excellent. We especially loved the desserts we chose. It is a great place to celebrate a special occasion or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time a CharmKarrenDined on 9/23/2014This was our third time at John Ash , and we save our fine dining for special occasions. We had not returned for a few years, but found the whole experience better than ever on all levels. We were there on a Tuesday night with a few other diners, and a table of three men were quite loud making it difficult at times for my husband and I to gear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, But Not OutstandingedhcaDined on 9/20/2014We dined here 9/20. The amuse bouche and charcuterie were very good. Had the salmon special and short ribs. Salmon, quinoa, short ribs and polenta were not seasoned. Though entrees sounded interesting/looked beautiful, they were just "nice" -- not outstanding. Spent $160.00 and expected to be wowed. Shared with our server who thanked us and said he'd tell the Chef. Surprised no visit from a manager. We do not see the need to return based on this experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantsrp36Dined on 9/18/2014We went to John Ash & Co. On our 25th anniversary after a day spent touring vineyards in Sonoma County. We felt welcome and special. Our waiter was great as was the food. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable QualitySharpasoDined on 9/16/2014Be it small couple dinner or larger group (this was 9) service was excellent, ambiance great and helped tone the meeting level. Fantastic filets, lamb had rave reviews. Wine list suited all of us, with Raphanelli being available along with Geyser Peak. Dessert was tempting but after the full dinner, most of us weren't able to eat most of the delicious desserts. Loved that they used Dry Creek peaches!Special Features:
- Retired4everretired4everDined on 9/14/20145 star all the way! Eric was right there but not hovering. Brick chicken was out of this world. Fig salad was indescribably delicious After one day away, going back again tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A TreatMikeDined on 9/14/2014John Ash & Co. is always a enjoyable. The food is very good, the sevice outstanding and the wine list extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Best EverSincerelyDined on 9/13/2014Everything John Ash has built up throughout the years with his partners is superb: location, parking, greeting, architecture, cuisine, wines, service, ambiance, sound level, flexibility, the bar, pricing -- very romantic. One of the best dining experiences in many a moon. And the lady liked it. Congratulations, again, to our old friend John Ash.Special Features:
- John Ash and CoYumyumVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great ambience. Went here for our engagement dinner and for the romance. Had a great time, food was ok but I mostly enjoyed my date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Food very overpriced for the quality. The waiter recommended Ahi tuna over noodles, the noodles were soft, overcooked and soggy with no flavor and few veggies were the same. My friend's meal was swimming in the bean juice. I would not go there again or recommend it. Beautiful setting.
- Always excellentScottishRoseDined on 9/10/2014Been to John Ash & Co several times over past few years (I don't live in Santa Rosa). Each time, the experience has been wonderful. Always a top choice for special occasions or lunch or dinner with (or without) friends when I in area on business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MaxchotshotVIPDined on 9/9/2014What a lovely evening! This is such a special restaurant for us. This is where my husband proposed to me 25 years ago and we keep returning for those special occasions!! The service is attentive and professional. The menu has so mmany choices it's hard to decide. I had a the special that evening with fresh scallops and salmon and my husband had the fresh halibut. The wine list is expansive and while not cheap, still within reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special restaurantSidspoDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I celebrated my **th birthday here! The food was amazing from the starter of Dungeness crab and sweet corn fritters. The Lemon garlic orzo stuffed parson's tomatoes with pan-seared scallops was perfection as was the Alaskan pan roasted halibut! The desserts were over the top!!!! (Especially the birthday surprise!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meets ExpectationsMcFoodieDined on 9/6/2014One of the best seating plans around, you are able to focus your attention on the food and company at your table. The food is excellent with great specials. Service highly professional. The wine list is... large, perhaps too much so for my taste, but the staff is knowledgable and very helpful with some key adjectives and budget parameters. Enjoy it.Special Features:
- John AshLennyDined on 9/6/2014As always this was a fabulous experience. We took friends for the first time and they were impressed.Special Features:
- Bi-PolarScottDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I dined and our experience was great with one major disconnect. Our servers were very attentive. Incredible wine list. Starters were outstanding. My entree was to die for, but my wife's totally missed. It was a pasta dish that lacked any and all seasoning. Boiled pasta in a no flavor cream sauce...just not worth eating. We are not complainers as I'm sure the staff would have gladly replaced. Quite frankly after sharing an amazing salad, bread assortment, burrata cheese app, and drinks she was happy to pass on the entree. We chalked the one bad dish up to a simple swing and a miss. It happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for TwoAnniversaryGemDined on 9/4/2014A slurp of watermelon gazpacho in a darling petite glass followed by a shared starter of DI STEFFANO BURRATA CHEESE with garlic roasted ciabatta, Gourmet Mushroomsand Sausalito Springs watercress followed bySEARED SCALLOPS AND GULF PRAWNS served with slow cooked Rancho Gordowhite beans,leeks, baby spinach and for my husband the SPECIAL-New York STEAK surrounded with heirloom tomatoes (all colors) ,a roasted potato resting in a reduced sauce of flavorful mushroom glaze paired with a Bottle of Ferrari-Carrano Chardonay- nicely chilled and topped off with freshly brewed rich coffee and a Butterscotch Pot de cremme with a slice of blondie topped with whipped cream….it was indeed over the top. Wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabinaVIPDined on 9/3/2014We always love John ASh! We hope to go there again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Absolutely fabulous from beginning to end. Treated like kings!!!!Special Features:
- Fine vineyard diningBladesterDined on 9/1/2014We were fortunate to have made an early reservation. We had the entire patio to ourselves. Even though it was a very warm evening, we were seated in front of an open window looking directly into the vineyard and the breeze made it extraordinarily pleasant. The food, as always, was exquisite! The service was divine, perfectly timed, and cheerfully presented. It was a magical evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jnvaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Glad we came here! The area of the inn and restaurant is simply stunning. The food was very good. Amazing Hog Island Oysters - some of the best i've had! Good tuna tartar. Fig salad was decent. My husbands steak was amazing! My halibut was ok (the steak was much better). So glad they had cakebread sav blanc, as we weren't able to make it over this trip, so got a bottle here! The chocolate cake peanut butter dessert was really good, thanks for switching in the caramel salt gelatto, so so good! Good after dinner drinks, appreciate they made us something off the menu. Excellent service. Would def go back, and have already recommended to others!Special Features:
- If we were in FranceJakeDined on 8/31/2014If we were traveling the french countryside and discovered this gem we would be very smug! Beautiful evening with great food. We liked our early (6:45) table near the open window watching the sun set on the grape vines..Special Features:
- Outstanding - 5 starscpetrillo1Dined on 8/31/2014When I made reservations for John Ash & Co I was told that this was the best place in Santa Rosa, CA. They were absolutely correct. Food was outstanding, Service was better than outstanding (if there is such a thing) and the place was absolutely beautiful. My only wish is that I can afford to go there 2 or 3 times a week. This is a must visit place for any occasion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceDeeCeeDined on 8/30/2014A popular spot for weddings, which are their priority. Table service takes a second seat so a meal can take hours to complete. The grounds are picturesque but a huge power station of some sort is just across the road. Tables are nicely spread apart for a sense of privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarioDined on 8/30/2014I've been here may times over the years. Restaurant is always clean and the food is fantastic. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a fantastic place!AggieFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food, service, ambiance, they have it all, in spades. Well worth the price and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- coloradobleecoloradobleeDined on 8/23/2014John Ash is a beautiful location overlooking a vineyard. The ambience is romantic and very enjoyable. We had a wonderful table with a beautiful view at sunset. Our evening started out with a wonderful cocktail . Starters were both excellent: the baby lettuces and HOUSE MADE CHARCUTERIE. Our main courses were both a disappointment. The mixed lamb grill - lamb disappointing(riblets and chop had little meat) and green beans and potatoes had little flavor. Veal pasta dish - felt the pasta was over-whelming the flavor of veal.Special Features:
- Beautiful FindNycee43Dined on 8/18/2014I was searching for restaurants on the way back from Russian River and found this through Yelp. The reviews were fantastic so I decided to see for myself. The food was creative, well thought out and delicious. I am happy with my choice and plan to return as soon as possible. Try the crab and corn fritters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014My husband and I had a wonderful meal here. The menu is creative and well executed. I had halibut which was excellent as was my husbands steak. We shared the key lime cheesecake which was very light but so flavorful! The key lime and basil sorbet complimented it well. The service was spot on! The atmosphere is also exceptional.Special Features:
- PerfectMellowOchreDined on 8/17/2014Great food and a great table location. Really appreciated that the staff read our table location peference and responded accordingly. Very attentive and courteous wait staff.Special Features: