John Ash & Co.
4330 Barnes Rd.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
John Ash & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vintnersinn.com/
- Phone: 7075277687
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Bar & Lounge: Monday-Thursday, 4:00pm; Friday-Sunday, 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schmidt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accomodate large parties in the dining room and dining terraces with vineyard views year round. A variety of group menu options and table configurations are available. Full use of the restaurant for up to 200 people is available for lunch or brunch daily.
- Private Party Contact: Robin Ameral 7075662617
A word from John Ash & Co.
Nestled in a picturesque vineyard setting, the restaurant reflects the rich heritage and lifestyle of the region. Executive Chef Thomas Schmidt reaps the bounty of local boutique food purveyors, while being respectful of our wine country inspired cuisine. Our award-winning wine list features over 500 selections. They also offer private banquet facilities for meetings and weddings; trellis and wisteria-shaded patio dining. ***For all Holiday parties larger than 4 people, please call directly at 800-421-2584.***Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
John Ash & Co. - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
John Ash & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
164 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (125)romantic (115)notable wine list (95)fit for foodies (94)scenic view (85)great for outdoor dining (77)good for groups (43)vibrant bar scene (30)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (22)great for lunch (14)hot spot (10)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- coloradobleeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/23/2014John Ash is a beautiful location overlooking a vineyard. The ambience is romantic and very enjoyable. We had a wonderful table with a beautiful view at sunset. Our evening started out with a wonderful cocktail . Starters were both excellent: the baby lettuces and HOUSE MADE CHARCUTERIE. Our main courses were both a disappointment. The mixed lamb grill - lamb disappointing(riblets and chop had little meat) and green beans and potatoes had little flavor. Veal pasta dish - felt the pasta was over-whelming the flavor of veal.Special Features:
- Beautiful FindNycee43Dined on 8/18/2014I was searching for restaurants on the way back from Russian River and found this through Yelp. The reviews were fantastic so I decided to see for myself. The food was creative, well thought out and delicious. I am happy with my choice and plan to return as soon as possible. Try the crab and corn fritters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014My husband and I had a wonderful meal here. The menu is creative and well executed. I had halibut which was excellent as was my husbands steak. We shared the key lime cheesecake which was very light but so flavorful! The key lime and basil sorbet complimented it well. The service was spot on! The atmosphere is also exceptional.Special Features:
- Always a Great Restaurant!SonomacntyVIPDined on 8/17/2014We love John Ash and we celebrated our 11 year anniversary here this month. The food was great and the service was zo so. We had a server that barely spoke English. He was nice but not very personable.Special Features:
- Great Date ! OK Food.....GravediggerDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful Night out with my wife ! Had been hearing about John Ash for a while and I thought lets go for it ! Got there early for a drink and a app before our dinner. The bar was very nice and the staff was very good as well. The dinner experience was very nice. The whole staff in the dining area was top notch ! My wife ordered the shrimp and scallops and her dish was very good. I ordered the filet of sole and honestly is was just OK. Fish cooked very nice but the dish as a whole just had NO flavor. We might try it again but there are sooooo many awesome places to eat in this area !Special Features:
- oustandingdinecalDined on 8/15/2014This was a return trip and as usual, was a very good experience especially the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningazaliceDined on 8/13/2014We had an excellent dinner here, with crispy duck and halibut as our entrées and delicious desserts as well. The staff was helpful and attentive. The restaurant is white tablecloth dining but not fancy or pretentious. We were on vacation and were happy we had chosen this dining option. It was only a few minutes drive from where we were staying near Healdsburg.Special Features:
- For a Special Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to John Ash for the first time on our anniversary. We had wonderful service! We went to the bar first, where they have a great happy hour! The dinner was delicious! I had fried quail! They brought us a cute little creme brulee with a candle for our anniversary. They brought out little bites from the chef during the evening, also. I think its a beautiful restaurant!Special Features:
- SurpriseSuzyVIPDined on 8/12/2014After reading the reviews which lambasted the service and some of the food, I wasn't sure what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised at the excellent service and wonderful food. We three were very pleased with the appetizer, salads and entrees. And the desert was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChesaiDined on 8/12/2014We took our father for his birthday the other night and although the steak dinners were good the calamari and brick chicken were blase. For the money spent I expected all dishes to be better than your average less expensive restaurant, but this was not the case. Come on, John Ash! Don't rest on your laurels! There's competition out there and you will loose the foodies if they return for another bite or come to taste for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as usualMooee0652Dined on 8/9/2014We don't go here that often, maybe once or twice a year, but every time it is phenomenal. Definitely recommend John Ash to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful location, mediocre foodbge60Dined on 8/3/2014Ordered "the special" described as a ribeye with a coffee rub. I was served the skinniest little ribeye I have ever seen swimming in a puddle of brown sugar water. Asked the waiter what the sweet sauce was and he said "sugar". Couldn't taste the meat or the vegetables because they were floating in sugar sauce. Have had nice meals there before, but this was horrible.
- We Were Pleased !valnlenDined on 8/3/2014A very nice place for a memorable experience. Service was outstanding. Would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent!SpartycalDined on 8/2/2014Another very fine dinner at John Ash; perhaps the best of the past couple years. Service was perfect, and all courses were inventive, perfectly prepared, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Wine Country RestaurantkpeezieDined on 8/2/2014We took the clue from the Chef and allowed him to customize our meal by putting together a wine pairing dinner based on our likes. We were delighted. All five of us leisurely dined for hours in the magical enclosed patio on a warm Saturday night. The service was spot on and the food fun and delicious. Great wines mostly from Ferrari-Carano. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed delicious food and wine, nicely presented, a very special meal. My friends from Florida were very impressed.Special Features:
- Romantic SettingElayne123VIPDined on 7/29/2014Everything about this restaurant is wonderful. Excellent food, service and ambience (very romantic!). If $ is no problem then enjoy to your hearts content!Special Features:
- DisappointedcolrasDined on 7/29/2014A beautiful location for inside and outdoor dining. But, the service was unnecessarily slow, and the food was very disappointing.
- Usually GREATROLVDined on 7/28/2014I have visited John Ash many times. This is a great gourmet restaurant that we select for special occasions. The food is always savory and clearly made with the utmost pride. During this last visit, all was perfect, except the delivery of our main courses. The waiter came back a couple of times to apologize, saying that the chef was getting to ours next. This was the longest we've waited for our dinner at John Ash - over 40 minutes. I expect that this may have been a rare fluke.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Perfect Evening!LovethewinecountryVIPDined on 7/27/2014We went to John Ash to celebrate my birthday and out wedding anniversary. We were seated in the patio area that has large windows that open allowing for a breeze but not overwhelming. We looked over the vineyard and garden area. It was a wonderful way to begin with our champagne. We then shared the crab/corn appetizer which was delicious. My husband had the halibut which was cooked exactly how he wanted. I had the special for the evening which was swordfish on a bed of pasta with pesto and egg plant. My dinner was wonderful and we were both happy with our choices. We had gelato for dessert and were also treated with a small Crème Brule with a candle. Todd our server was great. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- relaxing treatsrk2013Dined on 7/27/2014After a very long trip to get to Vintners Inn, we had a dinner reservation at John Ash & Co. Our table was in a beautiful setting overlooking beautiful grounds, and the food and service was excellent. We had a relaxing, tasty meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John Ash on the mark as usualRetmanDined on 7/26/2014The first time using open table reservation was easy, quick and effective. Our table was perfectly placed for our quiet dinner. Service was there when needed and not hovering allowing us to talk freely. The courses arrived well timed and piping hot. And, the view from the patio was one of a kind of the surrounding wine country vineyards. If You are counting on that "perfect" dining experience, you need to dine here. And, they'll make your martini any way you want it.Special Features:
- It was great!ImsotariDined on 7/26/2014The best food I ever had in California and I mean it. And the best coffee. The first time that I got an espresso at the right temperature! Food is very good and quality of veggies and fruit is outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014The service was excellent although my mother had the lamb. Hers was full of grisel with very little meat. She was quite disappointed.Special Features:
- Usually stellar...winecountrydinerVIPDined on 7/25/2014We are frequent diners at John Ash. However, our last dinner was a surprising disappointment. First we were seated on the patio in mid 80 degree weather.The dinner fare this evening was consistently off.The pan seared to burnt swordfish over at least a pound of pasta, the proportions way off.The usually reliable short rib consisted of three bones and about four bites of actual meat ($32). All the salads were wilted.The ahi tna was was all that was edible on the plate, the rest was garnish.Two plates did (almost) live up to the John Ash reputation, the scallops and shrimp and the veal pasta, nice but not the usual vibrant flavors. Not to sure what happened in the kitchen this evening..it will be awhile before we come back after this outing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/21/2014Always great food and wine. We had halibut and duck and both were terrific. Service was attentive. A little louder than we have experienced in the past but overall still a great place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/19/2014The atmosphere and service are wonderful. The food, though very good, is not exceptional. Perfect location if you'd like a romantic setting, very good service AND want to hear what the people you're there with have to say. The food will not disappoint, but won't be something you talk about at the end of the evening.Special Features:
- Excellent RestaurantDoodleDined on 7/19/2014John Ash is definitely a special place to dine. Food and service always outstanding. You are never feel rushed, plenty of time to have a drink before your meal and time between courses. Definitely a place to try if you've never been there.Special Features:
- ExcellentEdRadDined on 7/19/2014Met with old friends and all aspects of our dinner were excellent - food choices broad ; we all had different entrees including Ahi , chicken, and prawn/scallop dinners and all were memorable, beautifully presented; service was great , waiter knowledgable, wine choice perfect and desert excellent. We were early and no problems with delays, noise, and our choice of seatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DineswithfriendsDined on 7/17/2014Food was great. There was a mix up with our order and the entree was taken off the bill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/17/2014Menu was not all that exciting, the food we ordered was very good though, and the restaurant itself is very nice. I would dine there again if the opportunity presented itself.
- OverratedDiningDuoVIPDined on 7/17/2014We had a party of 7 on Thursday night @ 6 PM since we were going to see Pat Matheney at the Wells Fargo Center. The service was painfully slow, the food was expensive and just was ok, nothing special and the ambiance is dated. Our asparagus salad was 7 tiny thin spears of asparagus with some bland cheese on top for $12. My pork chop was dry and the side dishes were overpowering and it ran $37. Others said that the duck was good. The waiter was handling 2 sections of the restaurant and we basically had to pour our own wine and rely on the busboy to handle our needs. Not the "special" dinner that we expected.Special Features:
- Consistent excellenceBarryVIPDined on 7/16/2014We have dined here on several trips to Sonoma and hosted our son's rehearsal dinner here. The food and service and ambiance are always superb. The front room bar has its own different energy which is fun, and isolated enough from the dining rooms not to interfere with the intimate nature of the dinner experience.Special Features:
- santa rosa wine,restaurantksb1001VIPDined on 7/15/2014Had dinner at John Ash & Co. Beautiful setting. Great wine list. Limited menu but excellent food. Price was,reasonable considering it is Zagat rated and in the,heart of Sonoma.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!lyublyupokushatDined on 7/14/2014Had a dinner with my family and could not wish anything better than the food and service we received at John Ash. Everything was delicious, the service and atmosphere were impeccable. We had great time. I wish I could dine there again.Special Features:
- A Gem in the Vinyard!FavoriteVIPDined on 7/12/2014We have dined at John Ash & Co. a number of times, and each time is a wonderful experience! The food and service are always top notch!Special Features:
- Food heavensantarosaregularDined on 7/11/2014Everything was fantastic. Thomas the chef once again prepared excellent meals and the presentation was beyond expectation. We will return many times. I cannot say enough good things about this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationGlennDined on 7/9/2014We both share Birthdays (same week) and celebrated at John Ash. It was incredible. The food was fantastic, the Staff was very attentive and the Chef went all out. It was a truly memorable celebration. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDINGRICKVIPDined on 7/5/2014One of our favorite restaurants in the US. Visit every time we are in California. Food presentation and preparation is wonderful. The four of us all had different dinners; all we fresh and tasty.Special Features:
- IncredibleCCDFW1VIPDined on 7/4/2014A delicious romantic dinner! Great wine options. Waiter was friendly and knowledgable. The duck was the best my foodie husband had ever enjoyed. My veal Pasta was to die for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.