John Ash & Co.
4330 Barnes Rd.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
John Ash & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vintnersinn.com/
- Phone: (707) 527-7687
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Bar & Lounge: Monday-Thursday, 4:00pm; Friday-Sunday, 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schmidt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accomodate large parties in the dining room and dining terraces with vineyard views year round. A variety of group menu options and table configurations are available. Full use of the restaurant for up to 200 people is available for lunch or brunch daily.
- Private Party Contact: Robin Ameral 7075662617
A word from John Ash & Co.
Nestled in a picturesque vineyard setting, the restaurant reflects the rich heritage and lifestyle of the region. Executive Chef Thomas Schmidt reaps the bounty of local boutique food purveyors, while being respectful of our wine country inspired cuisine. Our award-winning wine list features over 500 selections. They also offer private banquet facilities for meetings and weddings; trellis and wisteria-shaded patio dining. ***For all Holiday parties larger than 4 people, please call directly at 800-421-2584.***Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
John Ash & Co. - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
John Ash & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
150 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (115)romantic (101)fit for foodies (93)notable wine list (79)great for outdoor dining (65)scenic view (61)good for groups (51)vibrant bar scene (28)neighborhood gem (25)hot spot (14)great for lunch (10)great for brunch (9)late-night find (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- One of the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/20/2014This place was one of the first excellent gourmet dining places to arrive in Santa Rosa 30+ year ago. Before all the hoopla celebrity chefs and stuff. It has stay up there, but sadly has been surpassed by latecomers. The value for the dollar is a little poor, but when you consider you don't have to drive too far or wait for weeks for a reservation then it can be a special place to go to. Appetizers are a little on the very small portion very high price. The small plate of fried calamari ($14.00) had no more than 20 pieces of well prepared not overcooked tasty pieces. Not enough for two people to share. I had the one of the special for the evening which was beef cheeks, which were well prepared, tasty and tender. All in all, it is better than most places in the area, but a tad pricy. Service was good, although the server had to rely on reading some of the description of our items from OUR menu.... A definite return for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- View of the VineyardsTheDinerVIPDined on 11/13/2014Hard to go wrong with a great view of the vineyards and a warm inviting atmosphere. Good food though not outstanding. Worthy of a stop when in the area or of course staying at the connected Vintners Inn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- goodplaceDined on 11/10/2014Great meal, reservation all ready for us, good service, and reasonable priceSpecial Features:
- McFoodieVIPDined on 11/8/2014we always enjoy eating here. The food is consistently wonderful and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always enjoyable.JNeensDined on 11/5/2014John Ash is one of those restaurants that is always enjoyable. Beginning with the ambiance as you drive in. The welcome you receive when you arrive. The attention to detail by your waiter. Especially when you have specific dietary needs out of the ordinary. Orders are prompt, food is original, creative and very tasty. Every need is anticipated. One truly feels taken care of at John Ash. I highly recommend it!Special Features:
- Best of Sonoma CountyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/1/2014John Ash is never disappointing. The menu is diverse and on point with the freshest most well prepared fare anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensive.SusanJaneDined on 10/31/2014We don't mind spending $300+ on outstanding dining for three people. But it has to be out of this world fabulous. John Ash is really good but we were served only one thing that was to die for -- a desert. We were in South Lake Tahoe recently and spent less with a killer view and every plate that was beyond perfect (four star). Willy's here in Santa Rosa way better food (they should be with their star rating) and fun with the whole small plate thing. We dined at John Ash twice in the past and were very underwhelmed. The food and service has improved but not enough to account for the inflated prices.Special Features:
- Terrible corner tableDianaDined on 10/26/2014I was denied a desirable table location in main dining room for my special occasion dinner last Sunday, Oct. 26, 2014.Special Features:
- DisappointingMrsTerryDined on 10/25/2014The figs were tasty, but really just figs with a lump o cheese filling. The buratta was similarly uninspired. The crab cakes were good. For our entrees two ordered the scallops, one the cod and one vegetarian pasta. The scallops were undercooked, and the pasta just plain boring and with no flavor. The veggies were mushy and I had to ask for shaved parm. Only the cod dish was superb with good presentation and taste. The waiter was friendly but too busy for good service. Little mistakes like refilling a glass with sparkling water instead of flat etc. The desserts were good. Cheesecake was yummy as was the affogato. The berry crisp was Ho hum. And the cappuccino I ordered was ultimately cancelled because it never arrived.Special Features:
- Wonderful romantic spotOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/24/2014Delicious and beautiful atmosphere and scenery with impeccable service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnerBobbyDined on 10/23/2014I would highly recommend John Ash for a pleasurable dining experience. Wine and drinks were excellent. Food top notch. It was a romantic setting and our service was outstanding. We are definitely going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So disappointingset11224VIPDined on 10/23/2014We've stayed away from John Ash for years because the food just isn't on a par with the lovely location and ambiance. Decided to try it again and found the same. The food is not special - yet the prices are high. Will not go back!
- For a special occasion1withwineDined on 10/23/2014My birthday dinner was spent at John Ash & Co. What a treat! The ambiance was special with the bar, usually a little more lively than the white linen dining, far enough away to keep it calm and classy. The birthday treat delivered during dessert was a nice touch. I personally liked the presenting of an amuse bouche at the beginning and a tiny chocolate treat at the end.Special Features:
- 42nd Anniversary Dinner!Toby2013Dined on 10/20/2014We ate at John Ash a very long time ago and we decided to book our 42nd Anniversary dinner this year. John Ash & Company will not disappoint you as their menu is classic as is their wine list. Our waiter was prompt, and courteous. We tried appetizer and dinner choices that we wouldn't normally order (The duck was mouth watering!). He also surprised us with a mini-dessert complete with a candle. We won't wait so long and can't wait until next year's anniversary trip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a GREAT EVENING ALL AROUNDbadtadDined on 10/18/2014My wife had been wanting to go, so we went for our Anniversary, we had a great little table out on an enclosed patio, every dish was fantastic, especially the dessert, which was Three Chocolates; a chocolate gelato, a chocolate cake, and a chocolate mousseSpecial Features:
- Great NightDaveBDined on 10/18/2014We were immediately welcomed by the hostess who sat us immediately. Dining room was well decorated and not overly crowded with tables.The wait staff were very attentive and knowledgeable. Service was great without being overly noticeable. Food was still warm when delivered to table and was very good.Special Features:
- Not what it once wasZenKitchenVIPDined on 10/16/2014I have dined here years ago and at the time felt like I was dining in a fine wine country restaurant. Not this time. Even though the fireplace was going, the main room was quite chilly the entire time. The bar area is at the entrance and it was quite loud. We could hear loud cheering and yelling from where we were sitting over a 200 feet away. Service was wonderful. Especially the back waiter. He was perfect with his timing and he was incredibly poised. Truly a nice experience. The wine list is nice, even by the glass. Mostly Sonoma Wine Country selections. For our meals we ordered the crab and corn fritters, tuna tartare, beet salad, fig salad, roasted sea bass, an Asian salmon and a butterscotch pot de creme. All solid.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular service, great foodVTRick01Dined on 10/12/2014I really liked this place. It was our last dinner for my wife and I on our honeymoon. We had the coconut lentil soup and fig, goat cheese, and arugula salad for starters and they were both very very good. I had tuna with shrimp tempura with soba noodles for my entree and it was outstanding. The melted candy bar dessert was so rich and served perfectly. Our service was perfect and it was a great end to a honeymoon trip. Highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Local Food a PlushappychefDined on 10/11/2014I have all the John Ash cookbooks and love his emphasis on local produce, meat and dairy. The food here is excellent. The ribs and duck cooked to perfection. However the service was confused, serving main courses to the wrong person and seating us late for our reservation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/6/2014OUTSTANDING as usual! the service was as excellent as the quality of the food!Special Features:
- Over cooked and over pricedBradWDined on 10/4/2014Sea bass was scorched. Wine is 2.5 to 3 times retail. You can do much better for much less.
- John Ash & Co. Reviewluv2eatDined on 10/3/2014Another restaurant we frequent each year in Santa Rosa. Have never been disappointed in the menu and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary dinnervegan2BDined on 10/3/2014My wife & I choose John Ash for it's reputation to spurge. I wanted to try the Lamb as a break from my vegan diet. as appetizer's we had the Lentil soup,calamari and Heirloom tomato salad. I ask for greens be added to the salad which was done without question. The salad was the best of the first courses. The soup and the calamari were O.K. not special. The Cabernet wine was a perfect addition for the main course, the lamb shank. The lamb sis not meet my expectations and I believe it was missing a blend of herb's which I recalled having with the same dish at a restaurant in Mendocino a number of years ago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous findOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/2/2014We took our group of five cousins to John ash to meet up with our uncle who some had not seen in 40 years. To say we were a boisterous group is accurate. We were seared in the very scenic windowed area. Service was top notch and patient. Food divine. Chili rellano fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely setting but could do betterCroughton14Dined on 10/1/2014We dined here twice while staying at The Vintners Inn. On both occasions the food was interesting, of good quality and attractively presented. The staff were all very friendly but the service was very slow. We certainly don't like to be rushed but it was ages before we got our aperitif and things didn't seem to be co-ordinated. I think it would have been improved if there was an overall maitre de service overseeing everything.Special Features:
- Great experienceSteveDined on 9/27/2014Lounge service was very good. We wish the cocktail waitress could have been our dinner waitress. That is not to say there was anything wrong with our waiter. He did a good job, as did the rest of the staff. The food was very good. I had the pork chop which were cooked perfectly with great flavor. The polenta that was served with it was cooked well but was a little to rich for our taste. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Linda C.LocalAgainDined on 9/27/2014We enjoyed a family birthday with a group of six adults and received excellent and timely service. All of our dishes were good to excellent. We especially loved the desserts we chose. It is a great place to celebrate a special occasion or a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Third time a CharmKarrenDined on 9/23/2014This was our third time at John Ash , and we save our fine dining for special occasions. We had not returned for a few years, but found the whole experience better than ever on all levels. We were there on a Tuesday night with a few other diners, and a table of three men were quite loud making it difficult at times for my husband and I to gear each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, But Not OutstandingedhcaDined on 9/20/2014We dined here 9/20. The amuse bouche and charcuterie were very good. Had the salmon special and short ribs. Salmon, quinoa, short ribs and polenta were not seasoned. Though entrees sounded interesting/looked beautiful, they were just "nice" -- not outstanding. Spent $160.00 and expected to be wowed. Shared with our server who thanked us and said he'd tell the Chef. Surprised no visit from a manager. We do not see the need to return based on this experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful restaurantsrp36Dined on 9/18/2014We went to John Ash & Co. On our 25th anniversary after a day spent touring vineyards in Sonoma County. We felt welcome and special. Our waiter was great as was the food. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable QualitySharpasoDined on 9/16/2014Be it small couple dinner or larger group (this was 9) service was excellent, ambiance great and helped tone the meeting level. Fantastic filets, lamb had rave reviews. Wine list suited all of us, with Raphanelli being available along with Geyser Peak. Dessert was tempting but after the full dinner, most of us weren't able to eat most of the delicious desserts. Loved that they used Dry Creek peaches!Special Features:
- Retired4everretired4everDined on 9/14/20145 star all the way! Eric was right there but not hovering. Brick chicken was out of this world. Fig salad was indescribably delicious After one day away, going back again tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A TreatMikeDined on 9/14/2014John Ash & Co. is always a enjoyable. The food is very good, the sevice outstanding and the wine list extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Best EverSincerelyDined on 9/13/2014Everything John Ash has built up throughout the years with his partners is superb: location, parking, greeting, architecture, cuisine, wines, service, ambiance, sound level, flexibility, the bar, pricing -- very romantic. One of the best dining experiences in many a moon. And the lady liked it. Congratulations, again, to our old friend John Ash.Special Features:
- John Ash and CoYumyumVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great ambience. Went here for our engagement dinner and for the romance. Had a great time, food was ok but I mostly enjoyed my date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Food very overpriced for the quality. The waiter recommended Ahi tuna over noodles, the noodles were soft, overcooked and soggy with no flavor and few veggies were the same. My friend's meal was swimming in the bean juice. I would not go there again or recommend it. Beautiful setting.
- Always excellentScottishRoseDined on 9/10/2014Been to John Ash & Co several times over past few years (I don't live in Santa Rosa). Each time, the experience has been wonderful. Always a top choice for special occasions or lunch or dinner with (or without) friends when I in area on business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MaxchotshotVIPDined on 9/9/2014What a lovely evening! This is such a special restaurant for us. This is where my husband proposed to me 25 years ago and we keep returning for those special occasions!! The service is attentive and professional. The menu has so mmany choices it's hard to decide. I had a the special that evening with fresh scallops and salmon and my husband had the fresh halibut. The wine list is expansive and while not cheap, still within reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special restaurantSidspoDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I celebrated my **th birthday here! The food was amazing from the starter of Dungeness crab and sweet corn fritters. The Lemon garlic orzo stuffed parson's tomatoes with pan-seared scallops was perfection as was the Alaskan pan roasted halibut! The desserts were over the top!!!! (Especially the birthday surprise!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meets ExpectationsMcFoodieDined on 9/6/2014One of the best seating plans around, you are able to focus your attention on the food and company at your table. The food is excellent with great specials. Service highly professional. The wine list is... large, perhaps too much so for my taste, but the staff is knowledgable and very helpful with some key adjectives and budget parameters. Enjoy it.Special Features: