John Ash & Co.
4330 Barnes Rd.
Santa Rosa, CA 95403Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
John Ash & Co.
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.vintnersinn.com/
- Phone: 7075277687
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday-Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm; Bar & Lounge: Monday-Thursday, 4:00pm; Friday-Sunday, 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Thomas Schmidt
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant can accomodate large parties in the dining room and dining terraces with vineyard views year round. A variety of group menu options and table configurations are available. Full use of the restaurant for up to 200 people is available for lunch or brunch daily.
- Private Party Contact: Robin Ameral 7075662617
A word from John Ash & Co.
Nestled in a picturesque vineyard setting, the restaurant reflects the rich heritage and lifestyle of the region. Executive Chef Thomas Schmidt reaps the bounty of local boutique food purveyors, while being respectful of our wine country inspired cuisine. Our award-winning wine list features over 500 selections. They also offer private banquet facilities for meetings and weddings; trellis and wisteria-shaded patio dining. ***For all Holiday parties larger than 4 people, please call directly at 800-421-2584.***Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
John Ash & Co. - Best Restaurants in Santa Rosa ›
John Ash & Co. reviews from OpenTable diners
157 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (122)romantic (109)fit for foodies (95)notable wine list (94)scenic view (80)great for outdoor dining (72)good for groups (45)vibrant bar scene (29)neighborhood gem (26)great for brunch (15)hot spot (12)great for lunch (9)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)Show More
- Wonderful restaurantsrp36Dined on 9/18/2014We went to John Ash & Co. On our 25th anniversary after a day spent touring vineyards in Sonoma County. We felt welcome and special. Our waiter was great as was the food. Highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dependable QualityOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014Be it small couple dinner or larger group (this was 9) service was excellent, ambiance great and helped tone the meeting level. Fantastic filets, lamb had rave reviews. Wine list suited all of us, with Raphanelli being available along with Geyser Peak. Dessert was tempting but after the full dinner, most of us weren't able to eat most of the delicious desserts. Loved that they used Dry Creek peaches!Special Features:
- Retired4everretired4everDined on 9/14/20145 star all the way! Eric was right there but not hovering. Brick chicken was out of this world. Fig salad was indescribably delicious After one day away, going back again tonight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always A TreatMikeDined on 9/14/2014John Ash & Co. is always a enjoyable. The food is very good, the sevice outstanding and the wine list extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Best EverSincerelyDined on 9/13/2014Everything John Ash has built up throughout the years with his partners is superb: location, parking, greeting, architecture, cuisine, wines, service, ambiance, sound level, flexibility, the bar, pricing -- very romantic. One of the best dining experiences in many a moon. And the lady liked it. Congratulations, again, to our old friend John Ash.Special Features:
- John Ash and CoYumyumVIPDined on 9/13/2014Great ambience. Went here for our engagement dinner and for the romance. Had a great time, food was ok but I mostly enjoyed my date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014Food very overpriced for the quality. The waiter recommended Ahi tuna over noodles, the noodles were soft, overcooked and soggy with no flavor and few veggies were the same. My friend's meal was swimming in the bean juice. I would not go there again or recommend it. Beautiful setting.
- Always excellentScottishRoseDined on 9/10/2014Been to John Ash & Co several times over past few years (I don't live in Santa Rosa). Each time, the experience has been wonderful. Always a top choice for special occasions or lunch or dinner with (or without) friends when I in area on business.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!MaxchotshotVIPDined on 9/9/2014What a lovely evening! This is such a special restaurant for us. This is where my husband proposed to me 25 years ago and we keep returning for those special occasions!! The service is attentive and professional. The menu has so mmany choices it's hard to decide. I had a the special that evening with fresh scallops and salmon and my husband had the fresh halibut. The wine list is expansive and while not cheap, still within reason.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very special restaurantSidspoDined on 9/7/2014My husband and I celebrated my **th birthday here! The food was amazing from the starter of Dungeness crab and sweet corn fritters. The Lemon garlic orzo stuffed parson's tomatoes with pan-seared scallops was perfection as was the Alaskan pan roasted halibut! The desserts were over the top!!!! (Especially the birthday surprise!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Meets ExpectationsMcFoodieDined on 9/6/2014One of the best seating plans around, you are able to focus your attention on the food and company at your table. The food is excellent with great specials. Service highly professional. The wine list is... large, perhaps too much so for my taste, but the staff is knowledgable and very helpful with some key adjectives and budget parameters. Enjoy it.Special Features:
- John AshLennyDined on 9/6/2014As always this was a fabulous experience. We took friends for the first time and they were impressed.Special Features:
- Bi-PolarScottDined on 9/5/2014My wife and I dined and our experience was great with one major disconnect. Our servers were very attentive. Incredible wine list. Starters were outstanding. My entree was to die for, but my wife's totally missed. It was a pasta dish that lacked any and all seasoning. Boiled pasta in a no flavor cream sauce...just not worth eating. We are not complainers as I'm sure the staff would have gladly replaced. Quite frankly after sharing an amazing salad, bread assortment, burrata cheese app, and drinks she was happy to pass on the entree. We chalked the one bad dish up to a simple swing and a miss. It happens.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for TwoAnniversaryGemDined on 9/4/2014A slurp of watermelon gazpacho in a darling petite glass followed by a shared starter of DI STEFFANO BURRATA CHEESE with garlic roasted ciabatta, Gourmet Mushroomsand Sausalito Springs watercress followed bySEARED SCALLOPS AND GULF PRAWNS served with slow cooked Rancho Gordowhite beans,leeks, baby spinach and for my husband the SPECIAL-New York STEAK surrounded with heirloom tomatoes (all colors) ,a roasted potato resting in a reduced sauce of flavorful mushroom glaze paired with a Bottle of Ferrari-Carrano Chardonay- nicely chilled and topped off with freshly brewed rich coffee and a Butterscotch Pot de cremme with a slice of blondie topped with whipped cream….it was indeed over the top. Wonderful way to celebrate our anniversary.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SabinaVIPDined on 9/3/2014We always love John ASh! We hope to go there again soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/3/2014Absolutely fabulous from beginning to end. Treated like kings!!!!Special Features:
- Fine vineyard diningBladesterDined on 9/1/2014We were fortunate to have made an early reservation. We had the entire patio to ourselves. Even though it was a very warm evening, we were seated in front of an open window looking directly into the vineyard and the breeze made it extraordinarily pleasant. The food, as always, was exquisite! The service was divine, perfectly timed, and cheerfully presented. It was a magical evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jnvaVIPDined on 8/31/2014Glad we came here! The area of the inn and restaurant is simply stunning. The food was very good. Amazing Hog Island Oysters - some of the best i've had! Good tuna tartar. Fig salad was decent. My husbands steak was amazing! My halibut was ok (the steak was much better). So glad they had cakebread sav blanc, as we weren't able to make it over this trip, so got a bottle here! The chocolate cake peanut butter dessert was really good, thanks for switching in the caramel salt gelatto, so so good! Good after dinner drinks, appreciate they made us something off the menu. Excellent service. Would def go back, and have already recommended to others!Special Features:
- If we were in FranceJakeDined on 8/31/2014If we were traveling the french countryside and discovered this gem we would be very smug! Beautiful evening with great food. We liked our early (6:45) table near the open window watching the sun set on the grape vines..Special Features:
- Outstanding - 5 starscpetrillo1Dined on 8/31/2014When I made reservations for John Ash & Co I was told that this was the best place in Santa Rosa, CA. They were absolutely correct. Food was outstanding, Service was better than outstanding (if there is such a thing) and the place was absolutely beautiful. My only wish is that I can afford to go there 2 or 3 times a week. This is a must visit place for any occasion...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow serviceDeeCeeDined on 8/30/2014A popular spot for weddings, which are their priority. Table service takes a second seat so a meal can take hours to complete. The grounds are picturesque but a huge power station of some sort is just across the road. Tables are nicely spread apart for a sense of privacy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarioDined on 8/30/2014I've been here may times over the years. Restaurant is always clean and the food is fantastic. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a fantastic place!AggieFoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food, service, ambiance, they have it all, in spades. Well worth the price and will definitely be back.Special Features:
- coloradobleecoloradobleeDined on 8/23/2014John Ash is a beautiful location overlooking a vineyard. The ambience is romantic and very enjoyable. We had a wonderful table with a beautiful view at sunset. Our evening started out with a wonderful cocktail . Starters were both excellent: the baby lettuces and HOUSE MADE CHARCUTERIE. Our main courses were both a disappointment. The mixed lamb grill - lamb disappointing(riblets and chop had little meat) and green beans and potatoes had little flavor. Veal pasta dish - felt the pasta was over-whelming the flavor of veal.Special Features:
- Beautiful FindNycee43Dined on 8/18/2014I was searching for restaurants on the way back from Russian River and found this through Yelp. The reviews were fantastic so I decided to see for myself. The food was creative, well thought out and delicious. I am happy with my choice and plan to return as soon as possible. Try the crab and corn fritters!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2014My husband and I had a wonderful meal here. The menu is creative and well executed. I had halibut which was excellent as was my husbands steak. We shared the key lime cheesecake which was very light but so flavorful! The key lime and basil sorbet complimented it well. The service was spot on! The atmosphere is also exceptional.Special Features:
- PerfectMellowOchreDined on 8/17/2014Great food and a great table location. Really appreciated that the staff read our table location peference and responded accordingly. Very attentive and courteous wait staff.Special Features:
- Always a Great Restaurant!SonomacntyVIPDined on 8/17/2014We love John Ash and we celebrated our 11 year anniversary here this month. The food was great and the service was zo so. We had a server that barely spoke English. He was nice but not very personable.Special Features:
- Great Date ! OK Food.....GravediggerDined on 8/16/2014Wonderful Night out with my wife ! Had been hearing about John Ash for a while and I thought lets go for it ! Got there early for a drink and a app before our dinner. The bar was very nice and the staff was very good as well. The dinner experience was very nice. The whole staff in the dining area was top notch ! My wife ordered the shrimp and scallops and her dish was very good. I ordered the filet of sole and honestly is was just OK. Fish cooked very nice but the dish as a whole just had NO flavor. We might try it again but there are sooooo many awesome places to eat in this area !Special Features:
- oustandingdinecalDined on 8/15/2014This was a return trip and as usual, was a very good experience especially the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent diningazaliceDined on 8/13/2014We had an excellent dinner here, with crispy duck and halibut as our entrées and delicious desserts as well. The staff was helpful and attentive. The restaurant is white tablecloth dining but not fancy or pretentious. We were on vacation and were happy we had chosen this dining option. It was only a few minutes drive from where we were staying near Healdsburg.Special Features:
- For a Special Treat!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014My husband and I went to John Ash for the first time on our anniversary. We had wonderful service! We went to the bar first, where they have a great happy hour! The dinner was delicious! I had fried quail! They brought us a cute little creme brulee with a candle for our anniversary. They brought out little bites from the chef during the evening, also. I think its a beautiful restaurant!Special Features:
- SurpriseSuzyVIPDined on 8/12/2014After reading the reviews which lambasted the service and some of the food, I wasn't sure what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised at the excellent service and wonderful food. We three were very pleased with the appetizer, salads and entrees. And the desert was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedChesaiDined on 8/12/2014We took our father for his birthday the other night and although the steak dinners were good the calamari and brick chicken were blase. For the money spent I expected all dishes to be better than your average less expensive restaurant, but this was not the case. Come on, John Ash! Don't rest on your laurels! There's competition out there and you will loose the foodies if they return for another bite or come to taste for the first time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing as usualMooee0652Dined on 8/9/2014We don't go here that often, maybe once or twice a year, but every time it is phenomenal. Definitely recommend John Ash to anyone and everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful location, mediocre foodbge60Dined on 8/3/2014Ordered "the special" described as a ribeye with a coffee rub. I was served the skinniest little ribeye I have ever seen swimming in a puddle of brown sugar water. Asked the waiter what the sweet sauce was and he said "sugar". Couldn't taste the meat or the vegetables because they were floating in sugar sauce. Have had nice meals there before, but this was horrible.
- We Were Pleased !valnlenDined on 8/3/2014A very nice place for a memorable experience. Service was outstanding. Would recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent!SpartycalDined on 8/2/2014Another very fine dinner at John Ash; perhaps the best of the past couple years. Service was perfect, and all courses were inventive, perfectly prepared, and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Wine Country RestaurantkpeezieDined on 8/2/2014We took the clue from the Chef and allowed him to customize our meal by putting together a wine pairing dinner based on our likes. We were delighted. All five of us leisurely dined for hours in the magical enclosed patio on a warm Saturday night. The service was spot on and the food fun and delicious. Great wines mostly from Ferrari-Carano. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb Evening!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/1/2014We enjoyed delicious food and wine, nicely presented, a very special meal. My friends from Florida were very impressed.Special Features: