John & Sons Oyster House - Uptown
1 Balmoral Ave, unit 7
Toronto, ON M4V 3B9Neighborhood:
Rosedale / Summerhill
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
John & Sons Oyster House - Uptown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.johnandsonsoysterhouse.com/
- Phone: 4165150551
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch; Monday to Friday 11:30am to 4:00pm
Brunch/Lunch; Saturday 10:30am to 3:00pm
Dinner; Monday to Tuesday 4:00pm to 10:00pm
Wednesday to Saturday 4:00pm to 11:00pm
- Payment Options: MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from John & Sons Oyster House - Uptown
John & Sons Oyster House - Uptown is located in Toronto, our focus is on Oysters and Seafood but we do offer some non-seafood items.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
John & Sons Oyster House - Uptown reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)great for lunch (32)fit for foodies (31)special occasion (18)good for groups (16)great for outdoor dining (11)romantic (9)great for brunch (8)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (4)notable wine list (4)Show More
- not worth the moneylittle1VIPDined on 10/8/2014i went there on wed the 8th of october,,,,,they called me 3 times to make sure we were able to make the reservation. the place was empty at 8pm. we had a lot of different items. as there portions are very very small and very over priced. the chowder for 13.00 was extremely watery. the beet salad had 4 little pieces of beet, the shrimp should be called baby grilled for 18.00....the salmon for 25. was over cooked and the egg under cooked on purpose. the best part of the meal was the fish and chips which my friend ordered and the deserts. never eat desert but was still hungry. spent 155 including tip and tax with one glass of wine. dont recommend unless you want to make a donation.......
- A little disappointing this timepooledishDined on 10/3/2014I have eaten at this location, as well as the downtown location several times over the past few years. I have always been satisfied with the food & drink & the service has been good. This time we had poor service - found out at end of the evening it was our server's first time as the new server mentioned when she took over. Throughout the evening we had to constantly try and flag down our server for simple things like a glass, cutlery...we were asked if we wanted the sauce tray with our oysters which should have been automatic...and so on. My lobster poutine was just ok - the curds were not sufficiently melted; there was hardly any sauce; very little lobster. Wines here are expensive ($14 and up for 5 oz pours, close to $20 for 8 oz.)
- FUN SPOT, CASUAL ,GREAT OYSTERS!CHERRYDined on 10/2/2014BEEN THERE TWICE AND WILL RETURN WITH OTHER GUESTS. OYSTERS ARE GREAT ...TRIED THE FISH AND CHIPS ..CRISP AND PLENTIFULL ..SQUID..TENDER...SPRATS ...TASTY WEDGE LETTUCE SALAD ...YUMMY . BLACK COD...DELICIOUS , MUST TRY THE STEAK FRITES NEXT TIME,. AND THE MUSSELS ..NICE FRIENDLY ATMOSPHERE AND WAIT STAFF. REASONABLE WINES.BY GLASS OR BOTTLE. CAN GET VERY BUSY AT TIMES AND A BIT NOISY SO NOT REALLY A ROMANTIC 2 HOUR DINNER SPOT ..NICE FOR GROUP OF FRIENDS OR FOR SINGLES WHO LIKE TO SIT AT THE BAR..REASONABLE PRICES AND SHORT STROLL TO ST CLAIR SUBWAY. PKG ON NEARBY STREET OR ACROSS RD NEARBY GREEN P. A CHEERFUL LOCAL BISTRO SPOT FOR CASUAL DINING WITH GOOD BUT LIMITED MENU THAT STILL HAS ENOUGH CHOICE FOR ANY GROUP.Special Features:
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/18/2014Knowledgeable serving staff. Great atmosphere. Great food.Special Features:
- Something missingLaviniaDDined on 9/15/2014This was one of those restaurants where I had difficulty selecting an entrée. There is not a lot of choice and some selections are not appealing. For a seafood restaurant, there should be a lot more fish and seafood selections. The beet salad was delicious but there is no green salad other than a wedge with blue cheese all over it. I had fish and chips, mostly because there was nothing else that appealed.Special Features:
- We never got our table!lmichelleDined on 9/5/2014First of all - this is an amazing restaurant and I highly recommend it. I've been there a few times, the food and service are wonderful - J&S is not a stuffy place at all and I love its laid back vibe. Unfortunately, this time was disappointing. We had a reservation at 8:30, and arrived right on time to hear that our table wasn't ready yet. We were okay to wait, and sat down at the bar for a drink and some oysters. Great cocktails, excellent oysters, and friendly service at the bar...however by 9:45 we still didn't have a table so ended up leaving before the main course. The bartender/shucker realized what had happened and generously comped our oysters, because she was so kind I left only mildly disappointed but I'd go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!AmandaDined on 8/15/2014We loved our meal at John & Sons. The room is simply beautiful and fun in it's east coast style, with an open setting a lot of natural light. Beautifully decorated but relaxed and cozy. The bar looks like it would be a fun place to be having amazing cocktails and eating oysters! Smelts were a big hit, the wedge salad was crisp and delicious. The half portion of fish and chips was surprising large with a beautiful golden piece that was quite big, delicious fries, house made tartar sauce , and a great coleslaw dressed perfectly to cut through all that fried goodness. We also had the moules frites and the moules were done perfectly in a broth you wanted to drink down after! And please, Order the doughnut... share it and wow! so good. !!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrokerDined on 8/12/2014as a regular and it is in my neighborhood go to the food is always consistently guests. I have taken friends, family and clients,Special Features:
- Loosing it's touchdatenightDined on 8/12/2014Felt disappointed by the meal, maybe it was just a bad day for the staff, but the main course was served cold and the actual dishes felt average, over salted and just tired. The oysters were great, ambiance was cool and the staff was fine.
- Terrific!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/9/2014What a great local place for fresh seafood! Terrific food, friendly service, and easy going neighbourhood atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not dine hereJL123Dined on 8/2/2014Over priced for small portions. Quality of food and service has gone down since they first opened.
- Great oysters, poor appetizersweepingminotaurDined on 7/22/2014The oyster selection was great, as was the "east coast platter" which gives you a good deal if you're ordering large quantities of oysters and you don't mind sampling from different regions. The appetizers, though, were very disappointing. My partner ordered the lobster lettuce cups which were not properly cut (wrong shape), way too salty, and lacking in creaminess for balance. My clam chowder was also too salty and contained too much potato.Special Features:
- Good Oysterspir2Dined on 7/19/2014Great place for oysters and cocktails. Food is good but the reason to come back is for the selection of oysters!Special Features:
- John and SonsAnonEaterDined on 7/19/2014Food and service is awesome on a normal day but with summerlicious, i felt rushed and the food (fish overcooked and chips soggy) sub par. I'll be sure to make reso's at J&S outside of summer/winterlicious. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summerlicious 2014MickiDined on 7/18/2014Went for summerlicious and the appetizers we had were great. Especially the crab cake, it was awesome. I ordered 3pcs of oysters to start, it was fresh but abit small. I had the nicoise for main. I love tuna, but I didn't like the way they cooked it. Overall it was okay.. Average...Special Features:
- Blame Summerliscious?OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014I go to John & Sons quite a bit and have never had a complaint. It's one of my favorite place. But I went during summerliscious and was disappointed. I took a friend who had never been and highly recommended the fish & chips: very little fish and too much batter. I had the black cod which was extremely mushy. and the cheese cake was part frozen part watery. I am hoping this was a side effect of Summerliscious.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014I have been to John & Sons oyster House- Uptown a few times, this time we came for Summerlicious and I was very disappointed. The food was not as good as usual, the service was very slow (over 1 1/2hrs for lunch), I would come back again but not for Summerlicious.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great summerlicious experienceFlyingshoeDined on 7/18/2014I went for lunch with my husband. We ordered Oyster and Chowder for appetizer, Fish & Chip and Shrimp Taco for main, Donut and Lemon Square for dessert. Shrimp taco was not what we expected and the tastes ok, but everything else was outstanding. The atmosphere is really nice and romantic. My husband will take me out for dinner one day. Definitely good for oyster lovers!Special Features:
- SummerliciousPCLuvtodineDined on 7/17/2014Came for Summerlicious --- menu was good but not great! More interesting fish choices would have been good!Special Features:
- OK dinnerLuvnewplaceDined on 7/16/2014The food is good, but the service is minimal. Our food takes forever to come without explanation. No one will replenish the drinks. I cannot locate my server to ask for refills.Special Features:
- Dark brown fish and chips?!87khwDined on 7/16/2014I visited john and sons for the first time 2 days ago for summerlicious all excited. Oyster was very nice with variety of sauces. I loved the atmosphere too but when i ordered fish and chips for main and when the dish arrived, the fish was too small and burnt (brown). I did not complain, decided to try. Couldnt even use my knife to cut it because it was too crispy. And it was all breading. Hardly any fish! Looked at other tables and others seemed fine. Are all dishes supposed to be this different?!! i wouldve complained if they came to ask how my food was but restaurant seemed busy. I ended up eating 3 oysters, crispy breading, a brownie and a diet coke for 30 dollars. If you go ask for golden yellow fish and chips with some fish inside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Midtown FindMissNomerDined on 7/15/2014I just moved to the area a few months ago and this is a pleasant surprise to find. 3 of us tried the Summerlicious prix fixe menu and we all loved the food. Although the portions were not ver large, I left feeling full without being stuffed. We had calamari as well which was delicious. Reservations are highly recommended. We were there on a Tuesday night for an 8:00 p.m. dinner and the place was packed. It's not a bar per se, but the ambiance is very vibrant and lively. 2 of us had the steak & frites which was excellent. The maple doughnut was good but not sure if it's something I'd have again -- perhaps if it came with a dollop of home made vanilla ice cream, I'd reconsider :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SimmyDined on 7/14/2014The fish batter was the best I've experienced, also the dressing on the coldslaw. Liked the atmosphere and the service was exceptionable.Special Features:
- poor ambienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Enjoyed the food, although they did not have their regular menu during summerlicious. It was hot in the resturant, not sure the air conditoner was working and we were sitted next to the washroom which we did not enjoy. In addition there were a lot of flies. We took our friends to this resturant hoping they would love it. We all had the same impression.Special Features:
- Great atmosphere and serviceKtcaDined on 7/11/2014However I was underwhelmed with the food. The shrimp app was bland and the cod entree was ok, but not $28 good. Pricey for average tasting food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great dining experienceredheadFoodieDined on 7/10/2014This was our first restaurant for this year's summerlicious. It was also my first visit to the restaurant and it was an extremely pleasant experience. Our server was friendly and funny, his personality was really memorable - it was a great bonus. The lobster and crab soup was heavenly - I highly recommend it. For the main course I ordered steak - and I must admit I am a "tough customer" when it comes to the way it is prepared. I like it medium or medium/rare and at Fred's not here it was prepared exactly as I ordered it. I know that seems like such a simple requirement but I find that this is a weak or tricky spot very many restaurants. I had cheesecake for desert, it was good enough but nothing that would make it stand out for me.Special Features:
- YummyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014We had the Summerlicious selection which was excellent! We dined with one other couple. We did find the house wines a bit pricey per glass but the food and presentation was great! We enjoyed the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish & ChipsSummerliciousDined on 7/10/2014The food was great! Except the fact that I found my fries over salted.Special Features:
- terrific food, too bad about noiseKatysamVIPDined on 7/9/2014Four of us enjoyed a Summerlicious lunch at John & Son this week. The food was terrific (especially the sprats which I love and which do not often appear on menus) and the service friendly if a bit slow. However, the noise levels were almost unbearable. The restaurant design with high ceilings and exposed ducts baffles none of the noise. Our discomfort was increased further by a large group of young women who yelled and shrieked almost all the time. I doubt I will return. Too bad as I loved the food.
- manager ruined eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Usually love this place. However the night of July 8 when I complained to manager re:my absolutely flat Prosecco, he argued with me and said he had poured it from a just opened bottle and begrudgingly brought me another glass, which gratefully was totally bubbly and clearly from another bottle. He said "it must have been the glass". He had NO people skills and this was the MANAGER!!!Special Features:
- Underwhelming at bestgmcnabVIPDined on 7/8/2014There are a number of things that are disappointing about this place. 1. No patio. 2. Real lack of public parking in the area. 3. Summerlicious menu is made up of smaller portions of regular items. 4. Decor is 50s diner meets Captain Highliner. 5. Portions are TINY. 6. I'm easy going when it comes to dress codes, but in my view, any restaurant that has a wine list (even one as disappointing as this), should not allow their serving staff to wear baseball caps. 7. Food is not cheap, which is of course connected to the size of the portions. On the plus side, apparently the oysters were quite tasty and the servers were quite attentive. This place came highly recommended, but in the end, there are better places in the city to get oysters.
- Lunch with a groupBistroBabe1Dined on 7/8/2014Great spot to have a group meet for lunch. We went for Summerlicious. Oyster appetizer was excellent. Good choice for main course and excellent deserts.Special Features:
- Summerlicious at John'sfinefoodforeverDined on 7/7/2014It was my second visit to John's and as usual it never disappoints. They had a great summerlicious menu from which we both chose the oysters, fish and chips and lemon tart. All were a hit. The service was fast and attentive and its become a favourite spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good and central fish restaurantfoodieVIPDined on 7/5/2014Toronto is lacking in good centrally located fish restaurants. Now we have one. Nice menu, freshly prepared and moderately priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John and Sons Oyster House UptownluvtoeatDined on 7/5/2014Excellent service. Great special 3 course lunch menu for $20! Wine by the glass a little pricey, but the beer was reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Summerlicious 2014hopelessatmathDined on 7/5/2014My friend and I went here for lunch on Saturday and were pleasantly surprised by the place. We especially liked that the patio had a secluded beach home feel to it. I especially recommend the shrimp tacos. It had such a light yet savoury taste to it, we are definitely going to bring our significant others to the place soon!Special Features:
- Disappointing Summerlicious ChoiceConsumedwithrelishDined on 7/4/2014We had an 8:30 seating on the first night of Summerlicious and were told, after deciding on the nicoise, that they were all out. Surprised and a little disappointed, we ordered the only other two options available. While waiting we noticed the tables seated after us got bread, but we had not received any. I could have asked for some but our waitress, after taking our orders did not return for the rest of the night. Our food came and it was perfectly acceptable. Nothing bad but nothing to rave about. About 10 minutes in, the table beside us received their orders (they had come in and ordered after us), and to our surprise the nicoise came out. Poor service the whole night really ruined the experience. Would not return.
- So so...wookhyungDined on 7/4/2014I went for summerlicious event. The Food quality was not bad, but it was not that great. It was $35 for each. Nonetheless, I was still very hungry when I finished my dinner.Special Features:
- Meh.CorinaVIPDined on 6/28/2014You can't call yourself an oyster house with only 4 - 5 types of oysters on hand. The menu lists a few dozen and only a handful available. We waited 20 mins before our wine came - after the appetizers. It appeared to be understaffed and not very friendly. We'll go back to Pure Spirits for oysters.
- Truly wish it was betterrblakeDined on 6/27/2014I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday dinner and we were both a bit disappointed especially because they knew it was a special occasion and gave us lack luster service. Nobody greeted us for about 10 minutes and when she finally did it was very brief and impersonal. I did not expect this kind of service from such a beautiful restaurant. My fish and chips was okay but nothing spectacular, his lobster poutine was just too heavy and should not be served an an entree. I highly doubt we would visit here again.
- The following 157 reviews are from the John & Sons Oyster House - Uptown reviews archive.