John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown
56 Temperance Street
Toronto, ON M5H 3V5Neighborhood:
Downtown/ Financial District
SeafoodPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.johnandsonsoysterhouse.com/
- Phone: 4167035111
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood
- Executive Chef: Sonia Potochnyj
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining
- Private Party Contact: Natalie (416) 703-5111
- Entertainment: Half table seating, half bar seating this place is a bustling neighborhood gem. It can get a little loud and it is supposed to; it's an Oyster Saloon. It's a small place and everyone is there to have a good time and relax a little bit. We are not perfect, we are not a place for every occasion but we try our hardest to ensure you leave happy.
- Special Events: Call Natalie at 416.703.5111
A word from John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown
John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown is out of the way from the hustle and bustle of the financial core but at the same time right in the middle of it, hidden away. From ducking down our little street, you feel as though you are doing something deliciously wicked. When you walk in the door of our 40 seat joint, you feel as though you’ve stumbled upon the best speakeasy in town and you’re getting away with flouting all the rules while everyone else behaves. You may think you’ll only have a few oysters and a quick drink while you’re there, but everything around you conspires to make you want to stay longer. Our fare varies according to the time of year, coastal fishing quotas and weather conditions. We can always shuck to order from a selection of 5-10 different Oysters daily, drawn from both our own beds in P.E.I. and the best growers in Canada, the USA and further abroad.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown - Best Restaurants in Downtown/ Financial District ›
John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown reviews from OpenTable diners
33 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (17)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (13)special occasion (4)good for groups (4)hot spot (2)romantic (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Tasty and relaxedWriterjaclynDined on 9/12/2014Our group of four enjoyed dinner at John & Sons. Oysters were great, fish and chips were terrific, lobster poutine was also terrific. We very much enjoyed the bottle of sancerre that the server recommended, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/8/2014This place is great for oysters! We tried all 8 choices. The Asian pear vinegar was a terrific compliment. Also of note, was the freshly made bouillabaisse. We were lucky to get the last two bowls.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedsvaliant1983Dined on 9/5/2014The interior of the restaurant is very well done. I was not impressed with the service or the prices. We had a dozen oysters, a beer and a ceasar and our bill was almost $80! The prices of the oysters were not divulged by the wait staff and were not written on the board so I figured typical market price during oyster season is usually $2.75-$3.5 / oyster. I couldn't believe my eyes when the bill came. To make matters worse - two of my $4.25 oysters were bad! On top of that it took us an hour and a half from the time we sat down till when we paid the bill. We were going to stay for a full dinner but promptly went down the street. If they charge so much for their food they should definitely be able to afford to have more staff.
- Good food but pricey & bad servicepollydinerDined on 9/4/2014We paid $45 for a dozen oysters and our server was not knowledgeable about the differences. The restaurant was not busy at all on a Thursday night so we were disappointed that we had to call our server over several times for water, missing items and our bill.
- niceLuv2luncheonDined on 8/27/2014Nice for lunch fast and friendly -fish and chips are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent SeafoodCanadian135Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent seafood, beautifully presented. Tuna tartare is exceptional. Good oyster selection- a real treat. Many ceviches in the summer. Seafood both high end and lunch friendly (the latter including fish and chips and lobster poutine). Tucked away on a side street, built around a large open block with tables on the outside. Great dining in the financial district, and cozy, relatively small - not as noisy/large as many other options. Friendly ambience.Special Features:
- Fabulous SeafoodCanadian135Dined on 8/8/2014Excellent oysters and vibrant seafood selections - lobster, scallops, tuna tartare is wonderful. Highly recommend for a lunch in the Financial District which is slightly off the beaten track (Temperance Street), has an intimate feeling, and excellent food. I have only been here for lunch - reservations are highly recommended.Special Features:
- Excellent Service and FoodLiz8Dined on 7/11/2014We had the crab cake (pretty good) on top of an arugula and picked carrot salad (delicious), fried smelt that came with lightly battered, not too hot whole peppers (yum), corn and shrimp fritters (delicious again), spicy shrimp tacos with fresh mango salsa and I think it was salsa verde, which also had chunks of avocado I'm it (amazing and my fave; one order has 3 tacos), and baked oysters (fresh and really tasty). Overall the food was excellent and very fresh. I also had a Bloody Caesar to which they add fresh shredded horseradish. It was one of the best Caesars I've had. The service was equally excellent. Our wait staff was attentive, friendly, genuine and very helpful. The service really elevated our dining experience. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014Always a delicious meal and the oysters couldn't be fresher.Special Features:
- Good for a casual get togetherOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Tucked away on a small street in the business district is this small fish restaurant. It seemed quiet on a Tuesday evening - but picked up a little. Everyone enjoyed their food. It's not really a destination spot - but if you're in the area and want to find a little spot that doesn't feel overly manufactured - this may be the place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden GemManAboutTownDined on 6/17/2014Close to King & Bay, but hard to find nestled as it is in a narrow street surrounded by tall buildings, the restaurant serves consistently good food. Staff are comfortably casual and efficient. Great place to have lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/11/2014- always excellent food; is a bit loud so wouldn't recommend a "quiet" anything! - service is okay, not greatSpecial Features:
- Excellent ChoiceTmagDined on 6/4/2014This is a great restaurant that I continue to enjoy when I can in the centre of the city. If you have a love for Oysters or other seafood this is the place.Special Features:
- DisappointingTOFoodieDined on 6/4/2014My partner and I were excited to give John & Sons a shot. The restaurant's history was a cute hook, and the menu looked interesting and delicious. Unfortunately, bad service and a poorly constructed main course took away from what could've been an OK dinner. When we first arrived, a hostess brought us to our seats and chatted about the oyster selection, ultimately offering us a tasting platter. Great. Then she switched with a server who was at best passive aggressive and at worst outright rude. We ordered sliders (the reason we'd come) and were totally disappointed. Half were burnt and all were fairly bland. It's the service that really stuck us, though, and a shame because I would've branched out more on the menu if it'd been better.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2014Very expensive for what you get. we went to the downtown location, i hear the uptown location is better.
- alibraVIPDined on 5/21/2014Booked the day before and was seated at the bar not at a table Food was overpriced
- The following 215 reviews are from the John & Sons Oyster House - Downtown reviews archive.
- RegularluvgoodfoodDined on 5/7/2014Food is always fresh and a taste sensation. The place always has a nice buzz to it and service efficient and simple.Special Features:
- Good seafood placeNakosyDined on 5/6/2014Unpretentious, small and cosy restaurant. The dishes that we tried were good but nothing outstanding.Special Features:
- John & Sons a mustMusingsonEatingDined on 5/1/2014I love that this place is tucked away on Temperance and has an interesting legacy. A great spot for after work drinks and eats - the staff are friendly and just the right amount of attentive.Special Features:
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014Oysters are good but service is slow and both items we ordered off the hot menu were terrible :(
- Wish there were more!TwinDined on 4/10/2014The vibe, food and service are Manhattan'esque! Never disappointed I just wish there were more like this in Toronto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing menu. High prices.PcottonDined on 4/1/2014We started with oysters which were very expensive but poor quality and flavour relative to other experiences. The menu was limited with selections being small portions and far too expensive for quality of food served. The dessert menu consists of about two items neither of which were very appetizing. They had neither crab nor lobster. I would not visit again. If you're looking for seafood, starfish is much higher quality and better priced. I can always get lobster there!
- great oyster and light sea food farLBBisDinerDined on 3/20/2014Went to thank business partners for closing a financing. Each person on the team each enjoyed seafood and was comfortable in a friendly, informal and open setting. We had Oysters and Shrimp as appetizers, Scallops and Tuna for mains. Great white wine selection and consider the dining experience as A + for food, ambience and value. Happy I choose the location as it was easy for each person to walk to from their respective offices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and tasty seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/17/2014We started with oysters - some Irish and some from Massachussetts. All were fresh and delicious - little need for the accompaniments. The calamari appetizer was perfectly cooked and zinged with spice. The squash soup with smoked oysters was delicious. The deep fried smelts were overcooked but at least not too oily. The fried oyster sliders were better. The black cod main was Asian-flavoured and had a lovely broth to sip. The doughnuts and brownie for dessert were both excellent. The atmosphere was a bit noisy and the service was a bit inattentive towards the end of the meal, then improved for dessert.Special Features:
- underratedcolinDined on 3/12/2014amazing food, amazing ambience, cool atmosphere. look forward to visiting againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced because of locationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/7/2014Takes advantage of the financial district crowd to charge high prices for just decent food. Service is poor, server sat at bar with friends more than actually seeing to his tables, then automatically added 20% gratuity to the bill. Better off going to Rodney's for oysters.
- excellent seafood and verycarmDined on 2/20/2014excellent seafood and very good and knowledgeable serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John and Sons DowntownMickDined on 2/14/2014I had reservations for Valentines Day, was seated on time. Overall the service was great, the oysters were outstanding. The other items on the menu that we had were great as well, the fare (portion size) is a little lighter. But, what I expected. The wine, beer and drink selections were very good as well. I will definitely re-visit this establishment on a future trip to Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious oysters, warm environmentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our experience at John and Sons. We had a wonderful, tasty selection of oysters (the main attraction for us), and some well prepared appetizers (clams and fried smelts). The atmosphere is simple, warm and cozy and the service was friendly and unpretentious. We were on our way to a music event and it was a great pre-show destination. Would recommend for couples on dates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So so placeGoodfoodTODined on 2/14/2014There's no parking around the area. If you are coming from outside of downtown and are driving, allot time to find parking. Closest is city hall parking P. Not a suitable place for families. I think all tables were high tables. We went on Valentines Day and the reservation was for 5:30pm. Wasn't too busy but they informed us that our seat was good only until 7pm, which was plenty of time. The problem was..the staff was a bit slow to take our order. We got beverages and waited 15-20mins before being asked about our order. They must have been understaffed. We had the grilled shrimp app which was mediocre. Mains were arctic char which was a small portion but tasty. The other main was scallop risotto which was very delicious.
- Great seafood and serviceGrazorDined on 2/12/2014Great service, good food, funky little spot and very consistent. Best fish and chips around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantastic oysters!SamiDined on 1/27/2014Been to John and Sons a few times now, and never disappointed! The oysters are fantastic and a great bar list... The staff are friendly and provide awesome service.Special Features:
- Great Bay St. Business LunchBayStreetLunchSpotsDined on 1/23/2014I have been to John & Sons a number of times and it is always delicious. Staff is friendly and attentive. Portions are on the small side and prices are on the high side, so bring your expense account. I often recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will not return for dinnerhawkDined on 1/16/2014We were expecting a vibrant restaurant however john and sons turned out to be more like a bar.. not the best food and the appetizers were a let down.. will not return or recommendSpecial Features:
- Loved the Oyster Sliders andTorontonianTravellerVIPDined on 12/13/2013Loved the Oyster Sliders and the Clam Chowder. I have been to the midtown location and it has a little more room.Special Features:
- Food is fantastic...the placeBusinessDinerVIPDined on 12/9/2013Food is fantastic...the place is always bustling. We love coming here!Special Features:
- Downtown HideawayStarkersVIPDined on 11/5/2013Good food, consistently prepared and presented, with attentive staff. A real bistro in the heart of downtown (others are just faking it!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All right, but better nearbyopenmktDined on 10/29/2013Oysters were of good quality. Other dishes were underwhelming, aside from a very good Octopus crudo. Shrimp tacos served on semi-rigid, almost fridge-cold tortillas. Service was peculiar, with our waitress taking plates away before we were finished the dishes on the table and at one point hovering over one of us while so she could take her plate away. Just bizarre. Overall, an adequate experience, but I don't think I'll be back. Much better options within a short distance of here.
- Not worth itAnnickVIPDined on 9/26/2013I don't know why people are so thrilled to go to this place! The music of the 80's and the risotto were great. Other than that, the PEI oysters were a disappointment (in comparison, they are superb at Rodney's Oyster House!) and the Sauvignon blanc at 22 dollars + tx for 8 onces was a big rip-off. The so-called Tahitian vanilla ice cream was definitely not one! Lots of loud big shots from the Finance world as clientele. 12 oysters + 1 risotto + a glass of Sauvignon blanc + an ice cream = $100, taxes and tips included. Won't go back.
- Good food, great service, overpriceShockedDined on 9/25/2013Food tasted good but 3 scallops and 2 scoops of ordinary risotto for $29? Asking $55 for an 8 ounce glass of wine when you can buy the whole bottle for $20 in the LCBO? Loud and crowded.