Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC
750-15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joes.net/
- Phone: 2024890140x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday-Saturday 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chris Morvis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: 15th and H
- Public Transit: Closest metro stop is McPherson Square.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Joe's is located at the southwest corner of 15th Street and H Street NW. Due to traffic restrictions valet parking is available on H Street after 6:30 PM at $10 per vehicle. Before 6:30 PM we recommend garage parking located just East of 15th Street. LAZ Parking, 1412 H St. NW, Washington, DC 20005, $10 after 5:00 PM OR PMI Parking, 1401 H St. NW, Washington, DC 20005, $10 after 5:00 PM.
A word from Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab is the culmination of a partnership between Lettuce Entertain You and Joe's Stone Crab, the legendary seafood restaurant of Miami Beach. Joe's features an extensive selection of seafood, flown in fresh daily, to complement the world's finest Florida Stone Crab claws. Joe's features the signature 16 oz. Bone-In Filet Mignon and 22 oz. New York Strip Steak. Matched with Joe's signature side dishes, dinner only gets better when capped with a slice of the famous key lime pie. Enjoy a generous cocktail in the grand bar or the tuxedo-clad service of the clubby dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
632 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (437)fit for foodies (278)good for groups (223)romantic (197)notable wine list (185)hot spot (165)vibrant bar scene (161)great for lunch (146)neighborhood gem (88)late-night find (48)kid-friendly (28)great for brunch (22)scenic view (12)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Service -- Needs ImprovementDCFoodieVIPDined on 9/18/2014While the food was wonderful, the service was so poor that it compromised the entire dining experience. Not only did we have to continually track down our server, but at the end, we were overcharged for the meal due to the server's inattentiveness.Special Features:
- Delicious!FrequentDinerDined on 9/18/2014Joe's Stone Crab Washington, D.C. was fantastic! The food was delicious and the service was fantastic! I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014I've been several times and the food is pretty good but sometimes inconsistent. What stands out and has made me return several times has been the great efficiency and professionalism of the hosts and the sharp service staff. Of course, the space is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceLuncherVIPDined on 9/17/2014This was my second time eating here, and I was equally impressed on both occasions. You must get the stone crabs to start, they are truly delicious. I got a steak salad, which often is blah, but mine was wonderful. Good quality steak, perfectly cooked, and all the salad ingredients were fresh and flavorful. It's expensive, but you feel like it's worth it.Special Features:
- worth the tripcathyDined on 9/15/2014Joe's is worth the trip. The food was excellant, the service responsive and the atmosphere fun. The fish is fresh and well preparedWill definatley go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!Luv2DineDined on 9/15/2014The service and the food was phenomenal! I thoroughly enjoyed my dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- eatoutoftenDined on 9/13/2014The restaurant experience was great, the food and service was excellent, and our waiter Bryan was very knowledgeable about menu and most attentive. My only complaint is that other customers walking into the door were being seated before customers with reservations that were waiting to be seated.Special Features:
- AmazingDeliciousVIPDined on 9/13/2014Another amazing restaurant has come to DC for the true foodie. From the service to the wonderful food. Everything was amazingSpecial Features:
- Great FindCaptainKirkUKDined on 9/13/2014Great food, good service, great ambiance - what more do you need ? This is our first visit to Washington and only had a 5 day visit but we chose to eat at Joe's on 3 nights - need I say more ! Booking essential late week and weekends, even then you may have to wait for a desired table. I suppose this just underlines the popularity of this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodiefoodieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Went to Joe's for my anniversary, the food was amazing. Our server Ryan Merrill was right on the money with all his food ideas. Will go back soon.Special Features:
- great experienceT2eatDined on 9/13/2014The food and service were amazing. Recommend the shrimp appetizer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still my most favorite place in USAGolfingalotDined on 9/13/2014I became a great fan of Joe's Stone Crabs while living in the Miami, FL area. The stone crabs are the best. The service is always bar none, and the staff is friendly. This is not a place I would go weekly, or even monthly, because of the price, but for a once in awhile treat, or a special occasion, I would not choose anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love Joe's stone crabLauraVIPDined on 9/13/2014This new restaurant of Joe's reminds me of the south beach Joe's stone crab. Everything was superb. Everything we ordered was spot on. Since it is too early in the season for stone crab the waiter recommended the rock crabs and they were awesome.Special Features:
- No personalityOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/13/2014Overall experience was good, stone crabs are a must. Our waiter could have been more personable, we tried to tell him we were celebrating a retirement, he kept on talking about menu. No small talk, and he never recommends the Alaskan King crab, which the waiter at the exit table did and they looked amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday Dinner!LaCuisineDined on 9/12/2014We celebrated my birthday at Joe's! My room-mate from college (from South Florida) had told me how delicious stone crabs were for years! It was a treat to finally try stone crabs in DC! We had stone crabs as an appetizer. The rosemary biscuits were so delicious! Our waiter, Anthony, was so sweet & made sure I had an enjoyable evening out! I can't wait to go back to Joe's again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining, not just eatingTorilDined on 9/12/2014My wife and I have been to Joe's 3 times, and each was spectacular! Nowhere in DC is the food, service, atmosphere and value so consistently excellent. I can promise you that we will be dining there frequently in the future. They really get it right - every single time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- stone crabs were greatcookbookjunkieVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had eaten stone crabs in Florida and were delighted to find them in DC. Although this restaurant is also a steakhouse, we stuck to the seafood and were not disappointed. Our waited Chris took good cafe of us and the meal was well paced. 2 orders of stone carbs and an enticing bread basket full of goodies made it difficult to finish our entrees - but we managed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/12/2014Enjoyed a family birthday party at Joe's. A party of seasoned restaurant critics was wowed by the service, the food and the ambiance, in that order. David made everything more fun, and the wine steward provided great options. The dining room was nicely quiet in contrast to the lively Friday night bar scene in the other room. Still not sure how they were able to cook the steaks so perfectly for each of us. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:
- Good foodNancDined on 9/11/2014Enjoyed a nice evening with good and friendly service. The crab legs were delicious and filet mignon was also good if a bit overdone. The service was attentive to our table. The prices are a bit expensive but worth it for a special night.Special Features:
- glad joes is hereOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 9/10/2014a can't miss place when i'm in south beach, and certainly stop by when in vegas or chicago. now, there's one in my own backyard. love the cole slaw, cuban pie, and of course the stone crabs. upscale surroundings and customers for sure, but once i bite into a stone crab dipped in the sauce everything becomes very relaxed. a trest downtown!Special Features:
- Simply the best!MarciaVIPDined on 9/10/2014Alaskan King crab legs are second only to those in Vancouver. Steak is better than most of the brand name steak restaurants in DC. We come to Joe's expecting the best and the restaurant always delivers!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but not much bang for the buckDMB1Dined on 9/10/2014Generally a good meal although the tuna tartar was so salty it was inedible and I sent it back (which I never do). My partner had oysters which were nice but small. The dinner of sea bass came out looking like an appetizer portion but it was very good and quite flavorful. Excellent bread basket and awesome Grapefruit Smash cocktail - gin with basil and lime - very refreshing . They did make up for the poor appetizer with the standard free dessert. Our waitress was excellent and adorable but the food runners were quite unprofessional...auctioning off food at an upscale place is simply unacceptable. And the busboy hovered to grab the plates while we still had forks in our hands. Better training is definitely in order!Special Features:
- Exceptional!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/10/2014This was my first time at Joe's Seafood, but definitely not my last. The food was superb and the service spectacular. This experience made me feel like royalty! Definitely a winner!!Special Features:
- Great Lunch SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Had another great experience, this is my go to spot for client lunchesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambianceKitteeDined on 9/9/2014I enjoyed the atmosphere, the food and the ambiance. The only thing that I was a bit disappointed with is that the first wait person said she would be back to explain everything about the menu and specials since it was my first time there and she deferred taking our drink orders. She never came back but sent someone else who never introduced herself nor did she have on a name tag. After several times to the table I finally asked our permanent wait person her name, otherwise I would not have ever known who was assisting us (to address her by name instead of hey you and in case I needed her for something). It is a very nice place and I will go back again, I just expected a little bit more from the waitresses...Excellent for date night.Special Features:
- Poor quality!FoodiecriticDined on 9/8/2014While this place is known for it's crab. If you want some other kind of fish, beware it will either be dry or under cooked. Don't buy the fact that they are known for their pies...terrible!Special Features:
- Great ExperiencebramptondinerDined on 9/7/2014Great restaurant. Ambience is great and the food was delicious. They did cook my steak wrong on the first try and were out of asparagus, but both of those issues were quickly resolved. Wine was fantastic and the peanut butter pie was out of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really good food but weak serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/6/2014We had an 8:30 reservation on a Saturday night, a reservation made weeks ago (on Open Table)> When we arrived, on time, we were told out table was not ready and could the maitre d' text us when it was ready. Really? There was no space at the bar and no space to wait except in front of the maitre d' stand, and it was raining outside. Were we supposed to walk around in the rain and wait to be texted? Really offputting for a restaurant this expensive. Would up waiting for 20 minutes for a table. Then our server walked away in the middle of takng our order explaining that the servers have to serve their own food so they have to jump away whenever it's ready. Obviously none of this is acceptable at a high end restaurant like this
- Joe'sDateVIPDined on 9/6/2014The king crab legs were outstanding. The other dishes we had were good - but overpricedSpecial Features:
- birthday dinnerseriousfoodieandcookDined on 9/6/2014My wife has been to Joe's in Chicago, chose this for her b'day dinner for certain reason. Service very good, bone-in steaks outstanding, cooked as requested . She is a hash brown lover which Joe's Chicago does excellent. Here? Another story. Grilled potatoes mashed together in a lump are not hash browns, you shouldn't even advertise them as such. I saw her face when they brought them out - not good. Guys - hash browns are shredded, seasoned, sautéed in butter, oil, duck fat, etc. They are NOT lumped grilled potatoes. I make better at home. What could have been an outstanding meal turned out to be ok at best. For the price we paid, it was a disappointment since we expected all parts of the dinner would be equal to the others.Special Features:
- Sweet crabGADawgVIPDined on 9/5/2014Tried Joe's for the first time, my husband's second. To start off we had to wait at least 15 min to order a drink. We had the stone crabs as an appetizer, and they were delicious. So sweet and I loved Joe's mustard sauce that accompanied them. I had the lobster tail as an entree and it, too was delicious along with the mashed potatoes. My husband had the red snapper and he reported that it was a little overcooked and very plain tasting. It looked plain, too- the green papaya salad it came with was about a tablespoon sized amount of papaya underneath the snapper. That was it. No sauce or anything for the snapper. Peanut butter pie was decadent for dessert. Overall, I was pleased, my hubby was not. Right now, it's my pick for seafood in DC.
- My favorite in DCFabulous2dineVIPDined on 9/5/2014Everything we ordered was superb. My all time favorite DC restaurant and I eat out alot!Special Features:
- Outstandingborn2eatVIPDined on 9/5/2014I have been here a few times...and love the space which is a fusion of clubby and classical. The service is very professional and the food has been consistently excellent. This is a restaurant, while new too the area, has really honed its practice from decades of practice at other locations. And I love that the restaurant has a social conscience, donating a portion of proceeds of its stone fruit pie to charities. Bravo!Special Features:
- Over hypedAdequateVIPDined on 9/3/2014Average food for a over average prices. Nice location but the seafood was not more than OK. The stone crab claws seemed to have been around for a few days. Given their price, they should have been same day fresh.
- grownupDined on 9/2/2014Beautifully Q U I E T !!!!! What a pleasure to be able to participate in dinnertime conversation - No shrieking and shouting. No more noise-filled establishments. This restaurant was made for special occasion dining. May I say that the baked potato was overdone and the onion rings were too salty. However - the stone crab was superb ! Overall great experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful mealJR64030Dined on 9/2/2014Great food and fantastic service, along with a very nice atmosphere. Most expensive meal we have ever had also!Special Features:
- Not as good as expectedMickeyDined on 9/2/2014Started at the bar and should have stayed there. Cocktails were excellent and the bartender was great. Appetizers were okay, not great. Entrees were better. My wife had the filet mignon and it was terrific (very tender). My crab cakes were average. We will go back, but this time, we'll stay at the bar. On a separate note, our server was terrific.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rare to live up to the hypePeterMcLeanVIPDined on 8/31/2014It is rare for a restaurant that opens with a big splash to either live up to the hype, or sustain it for any period. Although this was our first time at Joe's (we've eaten at their Miami and Las Vegas locations) they more than lived up to their reputation. The dining room is elegant without being overdone or ponderous like some steak houses. The service (we had Patrick) was unlike any I've found outside of some of the better steak houses in NYC or Las Vegas, thoroughly professional, yet friendly and helpful. The food was superb, beautifully presented, arrived hot, correctly prepared, generous servings and delicious (why is getting all that correct such a rarity these days?) We had a lovely evening, and will return. Hopefully soon.Special Features:
- Don't waste your moneyTallandHungryDined on 8/31/2014I did not enjoy my food and will not return. Crab stuffed shrimp was too lemony, mash potatoes was nothing to write home about and crab cakes were burnt.
- This past SaturdayJerryVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went for special occasion to celebrate. Overall hard to recommend on a busy weekend night. None of our orders were properly prepared ( 2 steaks overcooked, 1 undercooked). We had an 8:00pm reservation and still had to wait til 8:25-8:30 to be seated. The tables were on the close side. My son had to switch his seat to allow staff and patrons to pass by - this would have been impossible if we had had 4 in our party. The waiter and Maitre De did try to make up for the experience. This was our first time at this Joe's. We had been to the one in Chicago and had a much better experience.