Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC
750-15th Street NW
Washington, DC 20005Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joes.net/
- Phone: 2024890140x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Everyday 11:30am-4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday-Saturday 4:00pm - 12:00am, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Chris Morvis
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Cross Street: 15th and H
- Public Transit: Closest metro stop is McPherson Square.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Joe's is located at the southwest corner of 15th Street and H Street NW. Due to traffic restrictions valet parking is available on H Street after 6:30 PM at $10 per vehicle. Before 6:30 PM we recommend garage parking located just East of 15th Street. LAZ Parking, 1412 H St. NW, Washington, DC 20005, $10 after 5:00 PM OR PMI Parking, 1401 H St. NW, Washington, DC 20005, $10 after 5:00 PM.
A word from Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab is the culmination of a partnership between Lettuce Entertain You and Joe's Stone Crab, the legendary seafood restaurant of Miami Beach. Joe's features an extensive selection of seafood, flown in fresh daily, to complement the world's finest Florida Stone Crab claws. Joe's features the signature 16 oz. Bone-In Filet Mignon and 22 oz. New York Strip Steak. Matched with Joe's signature side dishes, dinner only gets better when capped with a slice of the famous key lime pie. Enjoy a generous cocktail in the grand bar or the tuxedo-clad service of the clubby dining room.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Washington DC reviews from OpenTable diners
634 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (451)fit for foodies (275)good for groups (232)romantic (207)notable wine list (187)hot spot (170)vibrant bar scene (164)great for lunch (151)neighborhood gem (86)late-night find (50)great for brunch (30)kid-friendly (29)scenic view (11)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Rare to live up to the hypePeterMcLeanVIPDined on 8/31/2014It is rare for a restaurant that opens with a big splash to either live up to the hype, or sustain it for any period. Although this was our first time at Joe's (we've eaten at their Miami and Las Vegas locations) they more than lived up to their reputation. The dining room is elegant without being overdone or ponderous like some steak houses. The service (we had Patrick) was unlike any I've found outside of some of the better steak houses in NYC or Las Vegas, thoroughly professional, yet friendly and helpful. The food was superb, beautifully presented, arrived hot, correctly prepared, generous servings and delicious (why is getting all that correct such a rarity these days?) We had a lovely evening, and will return. Hopefully soon.Special Features:
- This past SaturdayJerryVIPDined on 8/30/2014We went for special occasion to celebrate. Overall hard to recommend on a busy weekend night. None of our orders were properly prepared ( 2 steaks overcooked, 1 undercooked). We had an 8:00pm reservation and still had to wait til 8:25-8:30 to be seated. The tables were on the close side. My son had to switch his seat to allow staff and patrons to pass by - this would have been impossible if we had had 4 in our party. The waiter and Maitre De did try to make up for the experience. This was our first time at this Joe's. We had been to the one in Chicago and had a much better experience.
- jemsmrVIPDined on 8/30/2014Went for a weekday lunch and it was very quiet, just a few other tables occupied. All the food was good, but nothing was outstanding, except the key lime pie, which was terrific. Great that they offer half-portions of the pies. My stuffed shrimp entree was very good. Side dishes were very salty, it took away from the flavor of the creamed spinach and Lyonnais potatoes. For the price, not a place I would return to, unless it was on someone else's dime. Too bad, had been looking forward to it.
- Great Dining ExperienceLuvgoodfoodDined on 8/29/2014We loved the dinning experience at Joe's. My husband and I went with another couple and everyone loved their food. The service was outstanding. Food was prepared exactly as ordered. Adding this to my favorites list.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/29/2014I took my husband to Joe's for his birthday and sat in the back dining area in a booth along the perimeter of the room which was very nice and quiet. Our Server, Mario, was excellent. My husband had the Filet Oscar and I had the Rock Fish special and they were both delicious. The main bar area, which is located when you first walk in is very energetic and fun and we stopped and had a cocktail before we left the restaurant.Special Features:
- Great from start to finish!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014My daughter and I went to Joe's on Friday, Aug. 29th for a belated birthday celebration. From the moment we were seated until we left, we were treated royally. Our waiter was engaging but unobstrusive. Finger-washing with lemons followed by a hot towel after our appetizer of oysters was impressive. had the calf's liver which was fork tender and flavorful. My daughter had the Chilean sea bass - moist, flavorful and not "fishy." The mac-n-cheese and steamed asparagus was great. And dessert - key lime pie -- OMG!!! We spent a few $$$, but it was worth every single penny. We'll be in Las Vegas later this month and are planning a trip to Joe's. Let's see if the LV location is as good as DC.Special Features:
- Great placembpro23Dined on 8/29/2014Great place to dine and the service is outstanding. If you are a fan of the famous Florida stone crab claws then I recommend to visit Joe's during the stone carb season which is from late October to May to insure you are getting fresh seafood. For the rest of the year while the season is closed you will be served the previously frozen ones. Still ok but not as good as the fresh claws that are served in season. Key lime pie was excellent. Overall highly recommended.Special Features:
- A great new additionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014The food was awesome, waiter was awesome and the atmosphere was awesome. Fine dining at its best!! Would definitely be coming back...Special Features:
- Two thumbs upOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014This restaurant was perfect from start to finish. The service was impeccable as well as the food. Portions were huge!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/25/2014Great food, enviroment, quiet and excelent service. I will go back again any time. Very friendly staffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Anniversary ReviewCathueDined on 8/24/2014Really impressed with the quality of the food and service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Ordinary JoeMarylandgirlDined on 8/24/2014Joe's, like sex, was good the first time but even better the second time. And my expectations were high for both events. The wait staff was attentive but not intrusive. At the suggestion of our waiter, I ordered the Pacific crab claws. On my previous visit, I ordered the stone crabs and they were delicious but the Pacific crab claws tasted as though they had been caught that morning. They were ridiculous. The crab soup was outstanding and I am from Maryland so I know the difference between good crab soup (my mother's) and great (Joe's) While the beet and goat cheese salad was delicious, I am reluctant to rave about it lest the reader think I am besotted.Special Features:
- Great Seafood & Wine CollectioncmbnovaVIPDined on 8/24/2014Enjoyed a recent lunch here...Canadian oysters were excellent and fresh. Chilean Sea Bass got the best entree vote from both of us. But there is a wide variety of other selections. To us the front bar seems more friendly and the back dining room seems a bit industrial in its layout. Our server Ryan was excellent, conversational and great knowledge of the menu.Special Features:
- It's not just about the stones!Fit4foodiesVIPDined on 8/23/2014Since we're not really in stone crab season we steered away from ordering any....having been to Joe's in Miami I thought that was the main reason to go!! But we were pleasantly surprised that everything was really yummy! Fried chicken....who would have thought?? Interesting presentation of the cole slaw.....veggies done just right.....one of our party had the calves liver....it was delicious! service was fabulousSpecial Features:
- I'll go back...DiscerningPalateDined on 8/23/2014when stone crabs are in season. The restaurant is comfortable. Staff is attentive and polite. Food, both seafood and steak, were as expected...very good! The wine list is extensive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I was impressed!fatkid27Dined on 8/22/2014This was not my first time dining at Joe's, but the experience this past time was so great, I feel compelled to share it with the world. From the moment we entered the restaurant, the entire staff was extremely courteous. Our waiter was very attentive throughout the night and always made sure we had plenty of drinks and food --- both of which were very tasty! Even though we had a late reservation, we never felt like the staff was trying to rush us out to close down the restaurant. Obviously the management at this place is impeccable if the staff is so gracious. Needless to say, this place will continue to be one of my favorites in the city. Keep up the great work!Special Features:
- Awesome food and service!antvaVIPDined on 8/22/2014We prefer the bar area for a more relaxed atmosphere. We had Alaskan king crab legs, stone crabs, and filet mignon. All superb. Then we had the key lime pie and banana cream pie, which was amazing! Service was great as well.Special Features:
- The Stone Crabs Justify the CostTechsan68VIPDined on 8/22/2014Be prepared to pay a lot at Joe's, but both the Florida and Pacific stone crabs are delicious and justify their hefty price. The service is outstanding.Special Features:
- DdddddVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great addition to the dc area. Portions large enough to share. Known for their crab but excellent steak alsoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- D.C.'s Best Power SpotkurtbardellaVIPDined on 8/20/2014From the bar to the dining room, Joe's has everything you could want out of DC restaurant. Joe's ascension is bad news for establishment places like Bobby Van's, Oceanaire, McCormick and Schmick's, etc. From seafood to steak, Joe's does it all and it does it exceptionally well. The service is first-rate. The sides they offer are amazing. There really isn't anything that Joe's doesn't deliver on. Whether you're on a date or a group dinner - this is a must-visit destination.Special Features:
- Try it!BMRHONDined on 8/20/2014My girlfriend has been bugging me for awhile to try it. My guest for lunch was from out of town. He stated the fish and chips were the best he every had. My fish tacos were pretty fabulous, too! We started with soup. My cream of crab had great flavor, but lacked the crab. Service and atmosphere were wonderful. Try it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The crab is better than the steakCollegeboyDined on 8/19/2014I went twice in one week - first on a date with my girlfriend and we loved it so much we went again for lunch that week. Our first night we split a pound and a half order of the Alaskan crab legs, which was plenty of food with the appetizers. It was delicious and all the work was done ahead of time - we literally just dug our forks in and went at it! When we came back for lunch we got the New York strip, which was overdone, and the stone crab claws, which were still in the shells and was more of a hassle to eat. If you go, stick with the seafood (their fish and scallop dishes were amazing!) but save room for dessert as their pies are to die for! Would definitely go back, but the 4 stars are because not everything on the menu is spectacular.Special Features:
- wonderful every timeLaurieVIPDined on 8/18/2014You just cannot miss with Joe's....be it Vegas, Chicago or DC. The service is outstanding, the food is second to none!Special Features:
- Does Not DisappontAllisonVIPDined on 8/18/2014Joe's consistently delivers on food and service. Having been here several times before, service has always been good, and the food is perfectly seasoned and cooked. The stonecrabs are a must, and the lobster stuffed sole was delicious! And you can't go wrong with any of their desserts, especially the boston cream pie.Special Features:
- outstandingLoveDined on 8/17/2014My boyfriend delivers linen to this company and he said that we try it after spotting Chris Rock and his family there. The mood was great and our service was excellent. We went during restaurant week. Both the Sea Bass and skirt steak was a good choice. Perfect place for a romantic night out with your partner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Adult: great food, service, quietLenHVIPDined on 8/17/2014All food was excellent. From the crabs and lobster to the liver and onions, prepared, presented and beautifully and well. Taste combinations were clear and and not ruined by oversalting. Sides and desserts were great, drinks and wines good matches, and did I say quiet ambiance. You could really have a conversation without yelling. You can be relatively modest or go high end. This is a definite keeper.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/17/2014A friend and I went on 8/17 for Restaurant Week. We were impressed with the large bar area and tables. We didn't like the offerings on the Restaurant Week Menu because it was kinda plain and simple for this type of restaurant so we ordered off the regular menu. I enjoyed the garden salad it was fresh and the dressing. The fisherman's platter I got fried and the seafood was lightly coated and fried. The Halibut was really good. We also got the mac and cheese. They used the shells as the macaroni and it was cream. The table next to us got the Fried Chicken and looked very crispy and not greasy. I will definitely ordered that next time. I The service was outstanding. They kept our glasses filled and swept away the crumbs.Special Features:
- Just ok...luvfoodVIPDined on 8/17/2014The food was just ok. I went there with family for restaurant week. We all tried the stone crab legs. They were good but I wasn't impressed. Not enough bang for the buck. The ambience was nice, the lighting was just right. For my large party of 8, we sat at a round table, which I prefer over rectangle tables. I don't think we will go back unless we're invited.
- twinkletoesDined on 8/17/2014The food, service, and ambience were all excellent! Joe's would be a great restaurant to celebrate. a special occasion. I went for lunch with a friend during DC Restaurant Week. I chose this restaurant in part because the fresh seafood is flown in from Florida daily. I had sea bass over a bed of spaghetti squash with a tasty sauce. The fish was indeed very fresh and tasty. For the first course I had a beet and citrus salad. My friend had mushrooms caps stuffed with chopped chanterelle mushrooms. Both were delicious and creative. And I loved the Key Lime pie I had for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the steakfoodie007VIPDined on 8/16/2014I ordered the steak instead of the fish for Restaurant Week. What a mistake. The steak was tough; I could hardly chew into it. Had to change the entrée which the waiter readily offered. Looks like a nice place but looks more like a tourist destination than one for foodies. Try some other places in town for better seafood and steak.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/15/2014The food was excellent but was very over priced. Not sure where why some items were so very expensive but the food was still very good.Special Features:
- All-Around Amazing!!!FozzysGirlDined on 8/15/2014We noticed Joe's on a drive around DC, took a look at it online and made reservations to celebrate my mom and my birthday. We are so pleased that we did. While the exterior is descreet, the interior, especially the bar, is drop dead gorgeous! We were early for our reservations and were promptly seated in the main dining room. Our waiter was attentive without hovering and was very knowledgable about the menu. The stone crab & oysters were fresh & delicious. The steaks were perfectly cooked & incredibly yummy! Having our hands washed after the first course with lemon juice and steamed towels was such a nice touch! Save room for dessert! We can't wait to return!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePickyeaterDined on 8/15/2014We are there for our wedding anniversary. The food is a little pricey but it's top quality. So, you get what you pay for. We has the stone crabs. They are awesome. We also had the steak. I was pleasantly surprised that their steaks are just as good as their seafood. Their service is top notch as well. We will definitely eat there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Fancy EatingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014Great place for fancy eating and great food in the heart of DC. Its located about 2 blocks from the White House, very easy to get to. The place was very nice and clean. All waiters dressed in suits. We wore jeans and felt a little under-dressed but they treated us no differently. We went to try this place out since it was DC restaurant week and got a 3 course meal for just $35. We had the ceviche fish, skirt steak, stuffed mushrooms, salmon and key lime pie and it was all fabulous food! Even the basket of bread was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good LunchlunchwithcolleaguesDined on 8/15/2014My colleague and I enjoyed lunch during restaurant week and we were pleasantly surprised. Food was good, vibe was great and the decor and ambiance - very pleasing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LunchFCRobVIPDined on 8/15/2014Great lunch menu and timely service. This place is without doubt a5 star restaurantSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great for Restaurant WeekDebbiedoesdctooVIPDined on 8/15/2014I LOVE Joe's normally, but I don't think they get the concept of restaurant week. It is to make people love it so much they want to come back. What a blah menu. unimpressive. Thankfully I know how good it really is so I will go back, but I doubt they will get many new customers with this week.
- Great food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/14/2014We had a great dinner and wonderful experience. Will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Classic and ClubbyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2014They transformed a former bank space into a restaurant that appeared to be there for 50 years - good job! Stone crab claws are classic Joe's - we've been to Miami Beach location many times. Best suited for a power dinner.
- Birthday DinnerAMB1Dined on 8/13/2014I had a great experience at Joe's for my birthday. The service was unbelievable and food was exquisite. Even the pre fixe restaurant week menu was amazing. I will definitely return for another dinner outing in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.