Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab
60 East Grand Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $50 and over
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.joes.net/chicago
- Phone: 3123795637x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Brunch Menus:
Saturday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Sunday 11:00am - 4:00pm
Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 4:00pm
Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 12:00am
Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Gary Baca
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Delivery, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab is the culmination of a partnership between Lettuce Entertain You and Joe's Stone Crab, the legendary seafood restaurant of Miami Beach. Opened in Chicago in the fall of 2000, Joe's features an extensive selection of seafood, flown in fresh daily, to complement the world's finest Florida Stone Crab claws. Joe's has quickly built a reputation as one of Chicago's top steakhouses, featuring the signature 16 oz. Bone-In Filet Mignon and 22 oz. New York Strip Steak. Matched with Joe's famous side dishes, dinner only gets better when capped with a slice of key lime pie. Enjoy a generous cocktail in the bustling lounge or the tuxedo-clad service of the clubby dining room and you'll understand why dinner at Joe's has quickly become one of Chicago's favorite social engagements.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSeafood
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab - Best Restaurants in River North (Chicago) ›
Joe's Seafood, Prime Steak & Stone Crab reviews from OpenTable diners
784 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (557)fit for foodies (330)good for groups (263)notable wine list (257)romantic (241)hot spot (215)great for lunch (151)neighborhood gem (130)vibrant bar scene (117)kid-friendly (61)great for brunch (49)late-night find (48)great for outdoor dining (13)scenic view (6)Show More
- Almost flawless eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/19/2014Our server was excellent, knowledgeable and accommodating (offering to reduce crab leg order size) as were the other table assistants. His suggestions were on point. The King Crab legs were excellent as was the Dover Sole in Browned butter.( on the side) Oysters Rockefeller were commendable for sure. It was quite loud as it was 8:30 pm on a Friday evening, but our table of 6 were all able to converse relatively well. Definitely recommend. Price was expected... 3 bottles of wine. no dessert... about $100/pp. I mistakenly thought the restaurant offered raw oysters... slight disappointment as they do not, but the experience was flawless beyond that.Special Features:
- Excellent experiencevmthomasDined on 9/19/2014Food good, ambience excellent!! Was provided a very good location for table, as requested. Will definitely return to eat here when I get to Chicago next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- room for dessertOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2014The crab cakes where outstanding. the staff was great. It was hard to save room for dessert but I was glad I did because the Havana Dream Pie was one of the best desserts I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014the rude and pompous server spoiled what was otherwise a good experienceSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014The menu is perfect for meat and seafood lovers. The food was beyond good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 9/18/2014Joe's remains my favorite restaurant in Chicago. Service is first class and the food quality and selection is unmatched. Keep up the good work!Special Features:
- Joe's always delivers!wjmrVIPDined on 9/18/2014Joe's is one of our "go-to" places. The food is always delicious, fresh and plentiful. Service is great!! Lunch is wonderful and dinner is the perfect way to end a long day. The seafood is outstanding. The stone crabs, of course, but any seafood served at Joe's is always fresh and delicious. Steaks are great as is the fried chicken!! We love Joe's and will go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely great!MJS1955VIPDined on 9/16/2014I eat here almost every time I come to Chicago. The food, service and atmosphere is always the same...great! One of us had the bone-in filet, another the rebeye and I had the Dover sole. Excellent dinner. Just like the one in Vegas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the premium pricesSB29464VIPDined on 9/15/2014Premium pricing requires premium experiences. Ours was anything but. Party of 6 with 7pm reservation. Between our waiter and the manager, we got 4 different stories on availability of the stone crab. This is their signature appetizer. Never fully understood what we got or why. Then dinner was served with 1 incorrect entree and 1 entree missing. The wrong entree was replaced in about 5 minutes. We were finished eating by the time the missing entree was served. The waiter apologized profusely... he appeared shocked by the whole episode & gave us a couple of free desserts. Never heard from the manager. As a former 2x a year customer, I cannot recommend at these prices...Special Features:
- Always a Good ExperienceJojo20VIPDined on 9/15/2014Joe's is definitely one of our favorites. The personnel are all very nice, friendly and accommodating. The food is always really good. The crabcakes and fried chicken are some of our favorites. We will continue to come here since each and every time we do we are always quite pleased.Special Features:
- good restaurant periodFERNANDODined on 9/14/2014The food was very good according to the price, one thing that it is not right my reservation was for a party of 4, and they did not give us a table for 3 persons until everybody was in the restaurant.Special Features:
- CarolinaSkidDined on 9/14/2014Long my favorite steak place in Chicago, if not the country, Joe's was a huge disappointment this time. They seem to think they are just too good to be bothered with great service any more. A $50 medium rare steak was medium well, the second time this has happened in the last two trips. When asked to take a look they seemed more insulted than concerned. There was no offer to do anything, free drink, dessert, etc, for the diner who had to sit for 10 minutes and watch their companions eat. The wine markup has gotten absurd. A $36 Quilceda Creek Red, not the Cab, is $185. When I asked about it the wine guy said they paid $60 and refused to believe the real cost. So, it's time to start looking for a new favorite steak place.Special Features:
- My Favorite PlaceAnikaDined on 9/14/2014I LOVE JOE'S...I never have a complaint. The food is always yummy!!!Special Features:
- Sooo disappointing!!BGDM7450Dined on 9/14/2014We have enjoyed dinner at Joe's Stone Crab many times in varying locations: Miami, Las Vegas, and now Chicago. We adore the stone crab and the side dishes are marvelous. I guess I'd say the stone crabs HAVE BEEN marvelous. Our recent experience left us as cold as the obviously long-frozen little crab claws which were so water-logged that one could wring them out! They were so small that in crushing the hard shell, tiny bits of shell was embedded in the claw meat and I felt that I was eating sand. For better or worse, we know how delectable these claws can be, thus a greater disappointment yet. The sides were as excellent as usual but the claws are the feature and when they are so bad, the meal is simply sad.
- Consistently GreatReturnagainDined on 9/14/2014We always eat at Joes when visiting Chicago. This time our northern friends joined us for a great meal and friendly service. We look forward to next years trip to Chicago and an evening at Joes. We all had steaks that were cooked perfectly and tasted delicious. Friendly staff and great service abound at Joes. Joes is a must stop if you are in Chicago.Special Features:
- Consistently GtreatpickyeaterVIPDined on 9/14/2014This is our go to birthday celebration place. Always energetic & bustling atmosphere. The stone crabs are legendary but the steaks are among the best in Chicago & my Dover sole with brown butter sauce was the best fish I've ever had. The sides are very generous, 4 for a table of 8 adults was enough. The tuna tartare & roasted corn were delicious. The waiters are very attentive without hovering & the hot towels at the end of the meal are a nice touch. Desserts are decadent, the peanut butter pie is so rich it's hard to finish & the key lime pie is creamy & fresh. Wine list is very good & good selection of classic cocktails. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- Love Joe'sSdsdohertyDined on 9/14/2014We live in Kansas City and we travel to Chicago at least once a year to just dine at Joe's. We love it that much. Stone crab is always fabulous, service is impeccable always and the restaurant has the classiest charm.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014Could have been a better experience if we had a better server. He was really quiet and did not talk at all to explain things or paella anything. It was our first time there and with all the reviews we heard from friends we were disappointed. I think the location is great but service was poor. I cant see the difference between any other steak house in the city then? Competitors at least give better service and the food was comparable as well.
- Awesome place, if you go to ChicagoJuanGDined on 9/11/2014The best hambuger ever! Place nice, great location!Special Features:
- Great DryerscmdavisDined on 9/11/2014The food at Joe's was outstanding. Matt was our server and we have had none better at any other place that we have dined. His recommendations were spot on and our meal was outstanding.Special Features:
- Service was AwesomeSamsDined on 9/11/2014The staff was spot on when you needed anything, the delivery and presentation was great. Fair pricing and premium quality products topped off the experience. Their key lime pie was awesome even though served in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 32nd wedding anniversary!32ndDined on 9/11/2014We have celebrated our anniversary at Joe's on our milestone years, 20, 25, 30 and oops 32, we couldn't wait for 35. The service is excellent and above expectations. The food is second to none. We were treated well on our anniversary, and that is why we tell everyone about Joe's. See you next year and every year until 35!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent MealSDtravelerDined on 9/10/2014All four in our group were extremely pleased with the food. Service was a bit slow but they comped us a dessert (nice touch as we didn't complain at all). The side were all excellent as well. It was quite noisy but it was a happening place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My fiance's Bday was a hitAllykatDined on 9/10/2014I don't typically like chain restaurants and actually work at another LEY. I was skeptical. Nothing seemed rushed or unimportant to the waiters. We look young but we have the money to spend if you give us a good reason. Was worth it. Id say it was his favorite bday and I enjoyed it too.Special Features:
- Joe's was a surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014Service was absolutely outstanding.....100% professional. My salmon was cooked perfectly. I did not expect much from this restaurant having never been there before. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Always good...LLLLDined on 9/10/2014We have gone to Joe's for years and it is always good! There are a lot of new places that have opened around it (which are also good), but Joe's has the ambience.Special Features:
- ExcellentStephanieVIPDined on 9/9/2014Our seafood was outstanding and dinners to die for always a staple for crab legs! So sweet and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and outstanding serviceBb110008Dined on 9/9/2014Great place for special occasion. I took my husband to Joe's for his birthday dinner and he loved it. The upside was getting a reservation at a decent time so the sooner you plan things out the better. Also, it was pretty loud due to big parties being sitted next to our table. Overall, great food, wine and outstanding service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/8/2014excellent food and service- a little pricey for the quantity of foodSpecial Features:
- Never DisappointsENFL37206Dined on 9/7/2014Been traveling to Chicago for about 15 years, and Joe's is always one of the places we eat at, at least once during our trips. Staff will accommodate you with special requests that aren't on the menu. Bar area is fantastic for a pre-meal drink, or if you are lucky enough to grab a high top since you don't have reservations. About Reservations..Make sure you get them, weeks in advance, especially if there are big events going on in town like trade shows.Special Features:
- A must seeMusthavejoesDined on 9/7/2014This has become our favorite restaurant when we stay in Chicago. The reason I did not rate the service excellent was because this last waiter we had did not meet our expectations like the others.we have always had good service except on our last visit. We will not however let one bad apple spoil the bunch, so to speak. Every one is allowed an off day. We will continue to dine here every chance we get.Special Features:
- Wonderful evening!LLCandMJMDined on 9/6/2014My husband and I went to Chicago (from Florida :) to celebrate my birthday and chose Joe's based on reviews. It exceeded our expectations ... We loved everything about it!Special Features:
- Excellent.NA11VIPDined on 9/6/2014Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent. Excellent.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st AnniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014Me and my wife just had our first anniversary dinner here and everything was fantastic. The food was amazing, especially the alaskan king crab legs. The service was impeccable, our server made great recommendations and was very personable. I would recommend that everyone visit here at least once.Special Features:
- Great food and servicesteveVIPDined on 9/5/2014If you want Crab Legs, they make it so, so easy. A ton of meat, and all easily cut and open and ready to be devoured. Our waiter recommended I get them slightly chilled rather than steamed due to the freshness. They were good, really good, but I can't help but think they would have been better slightly steamed. It fixed my need for crab for a few weeks, but next time, I'm going steamed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for catching upRazzledazzle60302Dined on 9/5/2014Scheduled a lunch for 3 pm to meet up with my financial advisor. The effort to get seated was off putting. But then we were seated and the server came out. A different world. She went through the menu Pointed out the luncheon specials which were an out standing value. I had the ten ounce portion of Crab legs Wow wonderful. Wanted to go low carb substituted a grilled tomato for the potato. Added a sald for a buck What a salad Wonderful greens and dressing. The food was first rate including the grilled corn. Neither my advisor or I were up for dessert so we packed them in to go containers. Won brownie points from cleaning lady and security guard at my building. They are urging me to go back. For lunch. I expected a lot but got moreSpecial Features:
- Not nearly as good...ChuckWVIPDined on 9/4/2014We went to celebrate my Mom's and Uncle's 93rd birthday (both deceased). Joe's is a family tradition dating back to the 1920's in Miami Beach. The last time I ate at a Joe's was in Las Vegas and the dover sole was outstanding. This time it was mediocre at best. It was also impossible to talk due to the high noise level. All and all, not what we expected.
- Excellent food, but expensive.Passion4foodDined on 9/4/2014Joe's always delivers on great tasting, quality food. Most portions are sized to share and you can order a half portion of most of the desserts. We like to go early or it gets a little to crowded. Especially if you're not in a booth. Dinner for two: we shared the following - shrimp cocktail which was a little over done ($15.95 for 4 jumbo shrimp), a side of Jennie's potatoes - excellent - ($9.95 for flavored mashed potatoes), King Crab legs - excellent ($69.95), seafood salad - one of my favorites ($21.95), and Banana cream pie for dessert (somewhere in the $7 or $8 range). For a total bill with taxes and a 20% tip (no alcohol or drinks other than water) came to $165.00. Joe's is one of our favorites, but bring the Benjamins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steak/seafood fun placeJimmyDined on 9/3/2014Went here while on a business trip- vibrant restaurant , everyone was happy, loved the waiter who made great suggestions. Amazing king crab entree prepared at the table, delicious/healthy. "Whale" appetizer ( rock crab, king crab, shrimp/scallop ceviche) was incredible and fresh. Salads were delicious. Great restaurant scene with large bar. Staff was wonderful and very accommodating. Great neighborhood for walking after dinner. Will come here everytime I visit ChicagoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always First RateSGinHPDined on 9/3/2014Joe's never fails to impress, with First Rate Food, Service and overall Quality.Special Features: