Joe Theismann's Restaurant
1800 A Diagonal Road
Alexandria, VA 22314Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Joe Theismann's Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.theismanns.com/
- Phone: 7037390777
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Lite Fare menu available after dinner until bar closes late.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Luis Aguirre
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Joe Theismann's offers spaces & menus to accommodate parties of 1 to 101. With 35 years of experience & a location within walking distance of the metro & several hotels, the restaurant has become a popular party spot. Frequently hosted gatherings include Rehearsal Dinners, Retirement/Promotion parties, Reunions, Holiday gatherings, Showers & Office Parties of all kinds. In warm weather, a rooftop patio provides receptions way "above the rest". Off-premise catering also available. The party planning team - friendly, efficient and experienced - works with you to create the event you envision.
- Private Party Facilities: Joe Theismann"s extends its 35 year reputation for excellent food in a comfortable & friendly venue to party patrons. Offering a variety of menus & ambiances, located next to metro & hotels, it meets a myriad of private dining expectations. From retirement parties to rehearsal dinners, choose Joe's.
- Private Party Contact: Sarah Swenson 8885523095
- Entertainment: Satellite sports: fourteen high definition TV"s showing most major sporting events.
- Cross Street: King Street
- Public Transit: Joe Theismann's Restaurant is well served by public transportation. The King Street Metro train is located across the street on the blue and the yellow lines, only two stops from Reagan Airport. Also across the street are the Amtrak and VRE trains, Alexandria Dash Bus and REX bus stops as well as the free city Tolley.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: With parking very limited in the city of Alexandria, Joe Theismann's has the advantage of a parking garage with three hours free validated parking after 5:00 pm and all day on weekends. Garage valet parking is available for a fee other times and there are plentiful metered street parking spots at the front door. The King Street Metro stop is directly across the street for those who don't want to hunt for parking!
A word from Joe Theismann's Restaurant
Joe Theismann’s Restaurant, “Comfortable, Convenient, Classy & Established” is unique in character & difficult to categorize. For 35 years, it has melded the venues of fine dining, neighborhood grill & sports viewing. Implementing its original concept as a comfortable, friendly dining spot with great food & good value Joe Theismann’s offers what many restaurants don’t, character & personality. Patrons return for food quality, consistency & excellent staff. Although on the cutting edge in TV technology, the high score is for an exceptional dining experience. Not a chain/franchise, menu items are not stamped out, but prepared from scratch for seasonal freshness & customer preference. The range of offerings, Sea Bass in Tomato Basil Butter & Filet Mignon to hearty sandwiches, has survived the competition. The loyal following encompasses daily customers, tourists & local residents. Stop in. Celebrate an event, meet friends for lunch or just drop by for happy hour. Become a regular.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Joe Theismann's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (45)neighborhood gem (43)great for lunch (34)vibrant bar scene (29)great for outdoor dining (23)fit for foodies (22)special occasion (19)hot spot (17)late-night find (16)great for brunch (15)romantic (12)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (6)scenic view (4)Show More
- Great RestarauntVanceDined on 10/9/2014Have eaten there three times and never had a bad meal. Blackened Mahi over Lobster Risoto was the best. Service is very friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent American MenuHarryVIPDined on 10/7/2014Dining with friend of many years. Wait staff gave graciously plenty of time for us to linger over each course. Special of the night was filet-- excellent! Others at table had seafood and said it was also very good. Perhaps best of all was central location right next to King St Metro. The patio looked inviting but we did not do it...maybe next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewFrozenDined on 10/4/2014All was great that night except it was cold in the restaurant. The A/C kept running.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014We went during a Nats playoff game so the ambience was a little louder than it would normally be (unless its during a Redskins game). The lighting is romantic, the food is good, but a little pricier than the bigger franchises and the portions are small ($13 for 4 jumbo shrimp wrapped in bacon). Overall a good place, worth the look. BIG beer and wine list. Was thoroughly enjoyable, will go back.Special Features:
- Expected betterGlupDined on 9/25/2014It's a nice sports bar, but the food was tasteless. For example, the ahi appetizer was chewy and bland. Take a note: Outback's ahi app is far better. The salmon and mahi mahi also lacked flavor. Maybe it was just the particular night, but I won't be coming back anytime soon.
- Unbelieveable FindCybizwifeDined on 9/21/2014When you walk in, a sports lovers' dream (TV Screens everywhere). Sports bar/restaurant no big deal, right? Wrong! The food was fantastic. Cooked to perfection. We will return! Patrick was a great waiter. He understood the menu, food preparation and was able to answer our questions. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great serviceWineDineFelineVIPDined on 9/19/2014We really enjoy coming to Theismann's, especially when we have a great server. The food was fantastic and we appreciated the recommendations Evan had for us from the menu and the bar. Overall, it was a very enjoyable night. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Took my Friend to be thereVeronicaVIPDined on 9/19/2014Grilled salmon, side of garden salad with honey mustard dressing, white roll with honey butter, and glass of white wine. Those are delicious! My friend was there first time and love their foods and drinks.Special Features:
- Great foodl3wwlDined on 9/10/2014Have eaten here about six times and have always had good meals here. Location is nicely convenient via the King St Metro. The duck was delectable and extremely tender. Filet was delicious as well. House wines tasty. Rolls were moist and fluffy. All in all a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much More than. sports BarBoomerVIPDined on 9/10/2014Don't let the name fool you, this is a great restaurant. I have taken a number of business associates to lunch and have always been pleased. The wait staff are great and the good is surprisingly good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good lunch spotAlexandriaSoxFanDined on 9/9/2014Some surprisingly creative menu items. Enjoyed our lunch, and very convenient right across from the King Street Metro at the beginning of Old Town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eat at Joe'sAllanNanceVIPDined on 9/7/2014Our second visit to Theismann's and it was just as we remembered. Smooth drinks, food was wonderful and service was outstanding. Next time we are in Old Town we will eat at Joe's again.Special Features:
- LindaLIndaDined on 9/6/2014This restaurant has wonderful food, great ambience and service, and it is a definite excellent value for the money. The menu offers many out-of-the ordinary options which is a welcome change from most places. It's in a easy-to-get-to area of Alexandria and offers free parking, as well, which is a big plus.Special Features:
- reunionOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014We had a great server,,,,,,Ryan. thanks. we will come again.Special Features:
- Great food!BULLDined on 8/31/2014Our family with 4 kids stopped in looking for something better than standard chain restaurant fare--found it at Theisman's! The food was great and the service was prompt and efficient. Would recommend to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/30/2014We had a wonderful dinner with family. The food was very good. The service was excellent. The environment was pleasant and quiet. We definitely recommend and revisit.Special Features:
- Enjoyed a wonderful dinnerarb4youDined on 8/25/2014We enjoyed Crab Cakes and Scallops. Both were prepared and presented wonderfully. Highly recommend both entrees.
- Excellent ChoiceTonyDined on 8/23/2014As a last minute option, we made reservations here and are so glad we did. It's not so much a sports bar as it is a finer dining establishment with great food, presented well, friendly service and reasonable prices. We will definitely be back when we are back in Alexandria.Special Features:
- All Around Good Dining ExperienceKKsTasteBudsDined on 8/23/2014We sat in the outside dining area on a pleasant summer evening. I had the Blackened Ribeye Special and my date had the Filet Mignon. We both at our entire meal (sans a few of the veggies). The steaks were very tasty. The only minor issue was we both asked for medium rare and it was more like medium, but it didn't detract from the taste much as evident by the empty plates. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb DiningHatladyDined on 8/10/2014One of my favorite restaurants. Excellent service and delicious food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved It!TripDined on 8/8/2014Had a bar section in the front and quiet area in the back. Food was amazingly good; we'll definitely be returning. Make sure you try the pretzle loaf!Special Features:
- Took my Friend to be ThereVeronicaVIPDined on 8/3/2014I took my friend to Joe.T.'s rest. He loved their food, delicious. I'm glad that I took every my friend to come here and enjoy the delicious foods and drink, wonderful. We saw bunch of tourist from hotel to here, wow. Keep it up but YOU must come here! Bathroom is cleaned. Workers is friendly. Very crowd by people. Lot of noise. Big huge flat TVs. This is not for romantic or special occasion but they're families and children. Most of them are from yuppies!Special Features:
- Old ReliableDinahVIPDined on 7/30/2014Joe Theismann's remains a reliable destination for burgers, steaks, salads, and bar food. Service can be slow but that's because the place is very popular and usually crowded. The food is nothing special, but it is good, fresh, and filling. We like this place for family get together a because all three generations can find what they like on the extensive menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantabulous!JoeTheismannsDined on 7/27/2014Service was tops and food unbeatable especially the homemade banana nut bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVELYVeronicaVIPDined on 7/27/2014Love their roasted grilled Salmon and glass of white PG wine! I will coming back there again!Special Features:
- Hail to JoeRichandkellDined on 7/24/2014It's been a while for us but Joe's restaurants have always been a favorite. The menu does not disappoint and the service has always been good. Love the Old Town Alexandria setting. This is a must stop even if you just come from drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a favorite...LivvylynnDined on 7/17/2014This place is a sports bar but it can also be seen as a 3/4 star establishment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh and innovativeHungryVIPDined on 7/16/2014Great starter choices. Hard to choose among delicious entrees and sandwiches. Fish tacos were sublime!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExecllentVeronicaVIPDined on 7/13/2014My friend and I were there. I ordered for grilled salmon, cold ice tea, and hot bread with homemade butter, VERY delicious! I will coming back there AGAIN.Special Features:
- OBX TripBobbyDined on 7/12/2014We had such a great meal here at Joe Thiesman defintely more than just pub grub. I had the roasted duck and it was great. The only problem we had was the service, the waiter (Lewis) was too much of a show boat and did not pay attention to servicing us. Just a little rude at times. But I do not want this to be a bad review just because of one waiter. Joe Theisman is a great place to go we would definitely come here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three For LunchactormannDined on 7/9/2014Three of us, two from out of town. One had pasta, one had duck salad, I had salad and bisque. All was very good. Service had god timing and was friendly.Special Features:
- Lots of fun and great food!EmerilsDined on 7/7/2014This was my second trip to Theismann's and the food was great! Fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Great serviceWineDineFelineVIPDined on 7/3/2014We were very pleased with our dining experience at Theismann's. The crab cakes were great, practically no filler whatsoever. Our server, Evan, was attentive without being overbearing and had great suggestions on the menu as well as the beer and wine selection. Will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service!MarkDDined on 6/27/2014Excellent experience! I made a reservation for 12. Two of us arrived 30 minutes early and they seated us immediately...the table was pre-arranged and saved for us long before the reservation time, and they didn't make us wait for the whole party to arrive. The server (Daphne) was friendly, attentive, and came around often enough to ensure our drinks were continuously refilled...without being around "too much." I highly recommend Theismanns for a large group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoriAlex22305Dined on 6/27/2014Enjoyed our dining experience. Sat in the back room, which was much quieter than the bar area. Service was excellent.
- The following 447 reviews are from the Joe Theismann's Restaurant reviews archive.
- enjoyablekegstrckDined on 6/20/2014Food was excellent, good selections. It was during the world cup play on a Friday night, so there were some noisy folks in the bar, but just having fun. I brought my mom who took nee to the original Joe Theismans restaurant....but she's is older now and a little hard if hearing....which the scenes made more difficult...at least that night...will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening with friendsCaptBDined on 6/19/2014A fantastic evening with old friends. Theisman's is a wonderful experience. A great date night, family night, any event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly StaffNeighborDined on 6/18/2014Organized staff, friendly receptionist. Caring Manager. But a little too noisy for talking when inside --- could use a couple of glass dividers between tables and bar scene. But that is my only complaint. The menu is good, staff wonderful. Especially like the outside dining!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Family Restaurantebonygirl12Dined on 6/15/2014We ate at Joe Theismann's Restaurant for Father's Day last Sunday. Really good food. Nice ambiance. Good ServiceSpecial Features:
- Father's Day/Twins' Birthday BrunchDadntwintimeDined on 6/15/2014We were seated and the wait staff quickly added 2 more seats to accommodate our group (kids came along) :) The food was delicious, our waitress was delightful and everyone had a great time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.